Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crawley are scum 19:59 - Oct 27 with 3620 viewsdurham_exile

Matty Etherington is not allowed to manage the team tomorrow because they claim he would be on breach of his contract that apparently runs to May 2024.

Therefore Scott Marshall takes charge at Accrington.
What a bloody farce.

Up the U's
[Post edited 27 Oct 2023 21:07]

Durham_exile

Crawley are scum on 20:02 - Oct 27 with 2815 viewsgerry_us

Did they not know that Tuesday?
You'll just have to have another go.
Crawley are scum on 20:10 - Oct 27 with 2806 viewsdurham_exile

Crawley are scum on 20:02 - Oct 27 by gerry_us

Did they not know that Tuesday?
You'll just have to have another go.

Gerry I am standing by!

Durham_exile

Crawley are scum on 20:20 - Oct 27 with 2799 viewswessex_exile

Crawley are scum on 20:10 - Oct 27 by durham_exile

Gerry I am standing by!

Check your contract for small print Durham.

Crawley's club statement below:

https://www.crawleytownfc.com/news/2022/december/club-statement--matthew-etherin

It has become clear to all involved parties that this partnership is not the right fit to carry the club forward and achieve our goals. As a result, we have mutually decided to move in a different direction. We wish Matty and Simon well in their future endeavours”.

See you next Tuesday Crawley.

Edit - misspoke my last comment
[Post edited 27 Oct 2023 20:59]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Crawley are scum on 20:42 - Oct 27 with 2772 viewsRokerite

If Crawley are on solid ground with their complaint then surely Etherington must have known about the situation. I wouldn't care but I've backed you to win tomorrow. Perhaps Etherington can be smuggled in in a laundry basket like Mourinho was some years ago. Alternatively he can give a rousing pre-match talk via Zoom.
Crawley are scum on 21:07 - Oct 27 with 2751 viewsCrashBandicoot

Crawley dismissed him & Davies back then and now they are saying he's contracted to them, effectively saying we are sacking you but we are also controlling what you can do for the next year. Hopefully any sane judge will throw their claims out.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Crawley are scum on 21:24 - Oct 27 with 2729 viewsnoah4x4

Why will “any sane judge throw this out”?

As a senior manager/director I was regularly bound by “gardening leave” clauses when I departed any employer and was paid suitable compensation for my inability to work. Such clauses prevent a competitor securing an early advantage from my knowledge of my former employer. Etherington must be aware of his contractual obligations and that he was paid a sum for his cooperation. I doubt if we/he have a leg to stand on.
Crawley are scum on 21:27 - Oct 27 with 2721 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I had a bit of a crossed wire on this, l was told Etherington had been 'sacked'......was thinking how the xxxx can he have been sacked after one game that he won?

Am still catching up with this.

He has a contract with Crawley that runs till May 2024?????

xxxx me. This is mad!
Crawley are scum on 21:30 - Oct 27 with 2724 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Bit harsh durham. Didn't a similar thing happen with a top division manager previously? Possibly Mike Walker when he left Everton. I think his payoff was substantial but if he took another job before a certain time he would've relinquished a percentage of it which led to him being out of work for a little while. It may not have been him but I do remember something like this happening where it was better financially for them to remain out of work rather than taking a new role.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Crawley are scum on 21:59 - Oct 27 with 2714 viewsoxfcolu

I can't see any reason for an excuse. This is pathetic by Crawley but unfortunately legally there right.
Crawley are scum on 22:04 - Oct 27 with 2709 viewsdurham_exile

Crawley are scum on 21:30 - Oct 27 by RSCOSWORTH

Bit harsh durham. Didn't a similar thing happen with a top division manager previously? Possibly Mike Walker when he left Everton. I think his payoff was substantial but if he took another job before a certain time he would've relinquished a percentage of it which led to him being out of work for a little while. It may not have been him but I do remember something like this happening where it was better financially for them to remain out of work rather than taking a new role.

No Crawley are out of order

It's wrong because nothing was said Tuesday night

A massive disadvantage for us given that the team have trained with Matty all week a d they wait until the last possible moment to phone the Chairman.

No integrity from creepy Crawley.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Crawley are scum on 22:12 - Oct 27 with 2701 viewsburnsieespana

Since Matty chose to leave Crawley after 3 games because Nichols was sold to Gillingham after being assured he would not be sold, will he have been paid compensation?
Cowling seems fairly sure Crawley don't have a leg to stand on, reading between the lines of the club statement, but couldn't risk an injunction which would have been granted to give time for proper talks but sensibly decided to stand him down.
Crawley are scum on 22:24 - Oct 27 with 2694 viewswessex_exile

Crawley are scum on 21:24 - Oct 27 by noah4x4

As a senior manager/director I was regularly bound by “gardening leave” clauses when I departed any employer and was paid suitable compensation for my inability to work. Such clauses prevent a competitor securing an early advantage from my knowledge of my former employer. Etherington must be aware of his contractual obligations and that he was paid a sum for his cooperation. I doubt if we/he have a leg to stand on.

Yes, but gardening leave precludes you from entering into a contract with another employer for employment. Clearly that's not the issue here, otherwise the Creepies would have piped up as soon as he joined the U's as an assistant manager. And anyway, most reasonable companies relinquish gardening leave as soon as an ex-employee finds alternative employment.

It would appear that Crawley are claiming there's a clause in his severance agreement that precludes Matty from taking on the role of manager anywhere else until that severance agreement expires (on what would have been the end of his initial contract with Crawley) - effectively enforcing a notice period for the remainder of his original contract (and he'd only managed three games) but I doubt they'd been paying his salary. I'd imagine our contract lawyers will have a field day with this one.

Anyway, apart from the unsettling nature of this messy business, which I'm sure Crawley were calculating, Matty not being in the manager's seat for tomorrow makes little difference to our preparations - in fact, maybe it's helped?

Up the U's

Crawley are scum on 22:27 - Oct 27 with 2693 viewsLeadbelly

When I left my former employer my contract stipulated I couldn’t work for a competitor for two years. My learned friends negotiated that down to 15 months. I suspect the chairman will either do a deal with Crawley or look elsewhere for an interim or permanent appointment.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Crawley are scum on 22:52 - Oct 27 with 2676 viewsthrillseeker

My biggest concern about this situation is that the statement reads that ME has the job as why otherwise would Robbie be that concerned and taking time and cost to seek legal advice.

ME has held the U21 position with no issues
Crawley are scum on 00:06 - Oct 28 with 2651 viewsCrashBandicoot

Then the blame lies with ME himself for not honouring this alleged contract or informing the U's about it regardless of whether or not he's forgotten about it. The U's & RC are not to blame for any of this as they were clearly not aware of any contract stipulations by Crawley, otherwise he wouldn't have been given the interim head coach position. Those obligations - if true -are purely between them and ME.
On another note Crawley never said anything about ME being in charge of the U21s.

Crawley are scum on 04:31 - Oct 28 with 2631 viewsnoah4x4

Didn’t Norwich have to pay us compensation when Lambert defected? These situations are not without precedence.

Etherington’s unexpired contract with Crawley was probably paid up until March 2024 and that payment was conditional upon him not taking another Head Coach role until then. It may even be that he was in breach when he took the U’s U21 role, which might simply have slipped under the Crawley radar.

Like Leadbelly (and ME), I have been subject to similar clauses. You normally sign your exit contract after having been provided with clear legal guidance. I was appointed a solicitor at my ex-employers expense to ensure I was fully aware of the restrictions. Etherington must know about this, and given cash constraints in League Two, Crawley are merely seeking fair compensation, as we did for Lambert.
Crawley are scum on 09:24 - Oct 28 with 2582 viewsburnsieespana

You may well he correct and sadly our football club is the one to suffer.
Crawley are scum on 10:33 - Oct 28 with 2565 viewsbwildered

Could be interesting come to end of the season, if Crawley notify EFL, asking the game to be replayed or points deduction.
Should be no reason why Club or ME himself did not to know the details of his cancelled contract before being re employed, having been happy with the terms, has could have or might have claims to a restriction of employment/ trade otherwise.
Presume in the finer details it might to refer to first team duties, including team selection and pre match tactics, quite happy with U21 fixtures and a record since of P9 W2 L7 !
Will they have representation at the Accy game to insure there is no repeat of Tuesday ? Scum no, just looking after their own interests .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Crawley are scum on 10:58 - Oct 28 with 2561 viewsWitham

As there was no problem with him being U22 coach, it's not about him working. So as long as we don't call him manager (unless there is an EFL requirement to have a named manager) then he must be free to undertake "other reasonable duties" as contained in most employment contracts.
Crawley are scum on 11:16 - Oct 28 with 2550 viewsbwildered

Club Statement

Part time interim required.
Must have access to mobile, Ifollow and supply motivation speech pre match , half time and post match statement (with under current of denial if result negative ).
No time wasters or Father Christmas’s please .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Crawley are scum on 12:07 - Oct 28 with 2518 viewsCrashBandicoot

Crawley are scum on 10:33 - Oct 28 by bwildered

Could be interesting come to end of the season, if Crawley notify EFL, asking the game to be replayed or points deduction.
Should be no reason why Club or ME himself did not to know the details of his cancelled contract before being re employed, having been happy with the terms, has could have or might have claims to a restriction of employment/ trade otherwise.
Presume in the finer details it might to refer to first team duties, including team selection and pre match tactics, quite happy with U21 fixtures and a record since of P9 W2 L7 !
Will they have representation at the Accy game to insure there is no repeat of Tuesday ? Scum no, just looking after their own interests .

I personally don't think the EFL will insist on any replay or impose a points deduction as the U's will have been unaware of any contract clauses unless ME informed them (which I think is unlikely otherwise he would not have been given the interim position). They'll just leave it for the U's, Crawley and ME to sort out between them and only involve the courts if necessary.

On a side note did we receive any compensation payout from Wycombe for Matt Bloomfield as that was way more blatant than this is?
[Post edited 28 Oct 2023 12:08]

Crawley are scum on 14:04 - Oct 28 with 2474 viewsRokerite

Crawley are scum on 12:07 - Oct 28 by CrashBandicoot

I personally don't think the EFL will insist on any replay or impose a points deduction as the U's will have been unaware of any contract clauses unless ME informed them (which I think is unlikely otherwise he would not have been given the interim position). They'll just leave it for the U's, Crawley and ME to sort out between them and only involve the courts if necessary.

On a side note did we receive any compensation payout from Wycombe for Matt Bloomfield as that was way more blatant than this is?
[Post edited 28 Oct 2023 12:08]

You surely received compensation for Bloomfield. That was a straightforward acquisition of a manager who was employed by another club.
I have never come across a case like Etherington's. He resigned after just over 30 days claiming he'd been misled regarding the transfer budget, etc. Crawley Town issued a statement which implied no criticism of Etherington. Unless Crawley continued to pay Etherington from 29th December last year until now I don't understand what their claim is. If they continued paying him why? If they continued paying him surely Etherington knew he had an obligation to tell Colchester's owners as he accepted the caretaker role, though even being in charge of your under-21's would have caused a breach of his agreement with Crawley.
Basically Etherington and Davies were surely free agents from the moment they and Crawley agreed mutually to bring their short relationship to an end.
Crawley are scum on 17:54 - Oct 28 with 2425 viewsburnsieespana

It was never announced as far as I am aware about any compo from Wycombe when Boomfield left.
Given he had been employed by Wycombe before he joined us, i wonder if we had an agreement with them that he came free to is but if he wentback to them we got no compo with blithering party exp3cti g it to happen as quick as it did.
Crawley are scum on 19:05 - Oct 28 with 2400 viewswessex_exile

Crawley are scum on 17:54 - Oct 28 by burnsieespana

It was never announced as far as I am aware about any compo from Wycombe when Boomfield left.
Given he had been employed by Wycombe before he joined us, i wonder if we had an agreement with them that he came free to is but if he wentback to them we got no compo with blithering party exp3cti g it to happen as quick as it did.

It wouldn't have been announced, but there absolutely would have been an agreement with Wycombe for them to compensate the U's for the remainder of Bloomfield's contract. But that's an employee moving from one contract to another. Ethrington had left Crawley - he was a free agent when he joined the U's. It doesn't really matter, whatever business Crawley and the U's have to conclude will be dealt with next week, and if we win (or at least do well) at Shrewsbury, expect Matty Etherington to be our next manager - and on the basis of the last two games, I'm totally fine with that.

Up the U's

Crawley are scum on 17:49 - Oct 30 with 2258 viewsSparkfilmsTV

Crawley are scum on 19:05 - Oct 28 by wessex_exile

It wouldn't have been announced, but there absolutely would have been an agreement with Wycombe for them to compensate the U's for the remainder of Bloomfield's contract. But that's an employee moving from one contract to another. Ethrington had left Crawley - he was a free agent when he joined the U's. It doesn't really matter, whatever business Crawley and the U's have to conclude will be dealt with next week, and if we win (or at least do well) at Shrewsbury, expect Matty Etherington to be our next manager - and on the basis of the last two games, I'm totally fine with that.

Crawley have just released a statement on their club website about the Etherington saga.

They don't sound unreasonable.

Sounds like Robbie got a bit agitated.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024