Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability 19:25 - Oct 30 with 7143 viewsJules4367

Despite how it may seem, I am trying to be positive about the new manager but have an annoying feeling that there are a number of players who (as I have commented elsewhere) either 'don't get it', 'won't get it' or 'don't have the ability or awareness to get it'

The manager has to do something drastic to wake these 'no hoopers' out of their 100 year slumber.

Do we really believe that, with the new manager, Lyndon is suddenly going to become a poacher and be able to anticipate anything that isn't actually passed directly to him?
Who then is going to be transformed and become our highest/ most prolific goal scorer?

Do you think Bergovic will suddenly distribute the ball faster or stop kicking balls into touch?

What can he say to Paal to stop him allowing half of west London (o at least the pitch) to remain unmarked to his left or to enable him to be able to stop teams running in behind him to the touch line and passing back?

What can be said that is going to transform Willock or Dozell?

What can be said to make these self-opinionated professionals suddenly transform and scoring goals or stopping teams scoring?

I hope he has the words but from the number of managers we have had, who have all tried in their own way, I fear that they won't listen. So here's my shout...

Tell Dykes he's going to be dropped - play Kholli. If Dykes isn't playing, he cannot play for Scotland and that's what will wake him up.
Tell Bergovic he's going to be dropped and Play Archer. Lets see him perform and maybe his value will increase.
Tell Paal he's going to be dropped and get him to watch his performance again and again with his eyelids held open!
Tell Dozell whatever you wish -he goes to sleep after three words (and bring in anyone!)
Tell the wasters that they are going to sit on the bench and give those on the bench a chance on the field!

What's the worst that could happen? (Considering where we are and having paid and played our A team!?)

Oh yes and as a passing thought (pun intended!) I used to watch the Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan. Each week he would be pitted against a new 'No 2' and he did things his way and the 'No. 2s' were replaced.
I see our players do what THEY want irrespective of what the new incumbent suggests and then we keep replacing the manager for having failed to be able to change their ways and find out why they have all resigned from playing!
Can't anyone else see that our players are actually ALL number 2s!?

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 11:04 - Nov 2 with 1382 viewsted_hendrix

"Are you all sitty comftybold two-square on your botty? Then I'll begin."

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 11:18 - Nov 2 with 1357 viewskernowhoop

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 19:23 - Nov 1 by dannyblue

They've had a dreadful 12 months at work. Terrible results. Terrible performances. Terrible tactics. Everyone telling them they're crap. I'd expect many are unhappy, and many would prefer to be elsewhere. So the the new manager is a chance to change the atmosphere. They need to be given self belief, and confidence in a plan. I'd say:

Team: You're good players who can compete at the right end of the championship. Forget what's happened, this is a fresh start. Trust in the process, work together, we're going to have fun. Starting today, but do as I ask, we'll be flying by Christmas.

Willock & Chair: You're two of the best players in the championship and we're going to build a system to suit you, giving you posession in the final third, letting you play off each other. Lyndon's going to work to give you space. Use it. I need you to get beyond him. Use Kenny, build an understanding with Reggie.

Dykes: I've seen you score every kind of goal, especially in the Warburton purple patch. You have the ability to do it. Physically you're a match for anyone. We haven't played to your strengths. Watch Harry Kane. We're going to have you come deep, turn if you can, but if not lay the ball off. We're doing this so that you can arrive in the box a bit later and really attack the ball, rather than getting caught flat footed in the box while you wait for Illy to finally deliver.

Richards: You're a footballer, and you're going to play football, and you'll be so much happier for it. You'll get at least 20 minutes every game, and will replace Willock or Chair if either are injured or suspended. We need you. Do better than them and you'll take their place.

Dozzell: Your technique is something else. The way you struck your recent goals is phenomenal. I've seen you be tigerish. I know you care. The shackles are off. Get beyond the ball, stretch your legs, get in the box, use your vision, enjoy yourself.

Field: You are the hearbeat of this team, the fulcrum. You can be the championship Rodri. You'll be the metronome. I'll show you how.

etc.

Unrelenting positivity, and excitement about what can be achieved.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 19:51]

You have put yourself in great danger, Danny.
When the club looks next at its succession planning, you could find yourself on the short-list.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 11:21 - Nov 2 with 1348 viewsParkRoyalR

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 10:17 - Nov 2 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm slightly more positive than you with regards to Chair, Parky, but I agree with your post to be honest.

I'm fairly sure that I've seen that his stats for creating chances from open play have been very high in the past, but likewise over the years doing comms on the matchday freds I have on countless occasions typed phrases like "Chair, should've passed, didn't".

Fair play, have to be positive, but for the new Manager we don't have many options, as given his style of play, we cannot rely on a Warnock / Big Sam sort the defence based approach, so we will need our attacking players to fire,

To do this, we are almost solely reliant on Chair to orchestrate our attacking play, so if we can get Willock on to the pitch and performing again, we need Chair being the central trigger for our attacking play, getting early flat crosses into Dykes (like Swansea at home this season and West Brom away last season) and getting the ball into Willock and Smyth quickly down the flanks and attacking the box for the return pass (as Dozzell of all people did last week)

At the moment I can't see beyond Chair being the key man to get us out of this, if he moves the ball quickly as he has shown occassionally he can do, we can return to some of the excellent attacking play we saw under Warburton and Beale briefly. Lets hope.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 11:44 - Nov 2 with 1278 viewstraininvain

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 11:21 - Nov 2 by ParkRoyalR

Fair play, have to be positive, but for the new Manager we don't have many options, as given his style of play, we cannot rely on a Warnock / Big Sam sort the defence based approach, so we will need our attacking players to fire,

To do this, we are almost solely reliant on Chair to orchestrate our attacking play, so if we can get Willock on to the pitch and performing again, we need Chair being the central trigger for our attacking play, getting early flat crosses into Dykes (like Swansea at home this season and West Brom away last season) and getting the ball into Willock and Smyth quickly down the flanks and attacking the box for the return pass (as Dozzell of all people did last week)

At the moment I can't see beyond Chair being the key man to get us out of this, if he moves the ball quickly as he has shown occassionally he can do, we can return to some of the excellent attacking play we saw under Warburton and Beale briefly. Lets hope.

Chair was a key attacking player under Warburton and Beale because the way the team was set up played to his strengths, particularly his link up play with Willock.

It’s not surprising that Chair’s form (along with all our attackers) has dropped off a cliff under Ainsworth as his style of football is so far removed from encouraging creativity. He still gave his all despite the system effectively nullifying his strengths as a footballer.

I agree that Chair could move the ball quicker and I think we’ll see this improve under Marti as it was improving before he regressed over the past 6-12 months due to the reasons mentioned above.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 14:24 - Nov 2 with 1169 viewsMatch82

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 11:04 - Nov 2 by ted_hendrix

"Are you all sitty comftybold two-square on your botty? Then I'll begin."

Bookies have that at 3/1 Ted, I'd go big on that if I were you
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 09:41 - Nov 3 with 1055 viewsdannyblue

You've encouraged me. With this team in this state I want to be narrow enough with enough behind to stop being hurt on the transition as we have been for so long. But we also need to be more dangerous. Best XI is...

Dykes
Willock Chair
Colback Field Dozell
Paal JCS Cook Cannon

Attacking approach A
Paal, Willock, Chair to work out combinations on the left with the goal of getting to the byline, a shot from edge of area, or a cross into the box. They'll get in that position mainly from a begovic, JCS, paal pasing move, perhaps with 1-2s off field, or paal tucking in to open the longer pass to a wide Willock.
Dozell and Dykes coming from deep to arrive late in the box on the end of a cross or byline pull back.
Field and Colback sitting behind the ball, and Cannon tucking in as another sitting midfielder to stop the counter - making a narrow five behind the ball including the centrebacks.

Attacking approach B
Same, but instead Dozell remaining behind the ball, and Cannon bombing on wide to be available for a big switch, or to arrive on the end of a cross to the back post.

Attacking approach C
Dykes between their centre backs, coming short for the ball to feet back to goal, with the midfielders available for a lay off and then a forward pass into Chair or Willock who have moved into the space behind Dykes. Dykes to arrive late once they've made a crossing opportunity. One fullback overlaps. Other and 3 midfielders stay behind the ball.

Transition
For A...Since we'll have 5 behind the ball, we can afford to have Paal, Willock, Chair, Dykes, Dozell all press hard initially once the ball is lost. If they break out of the press, then settle back into defending as below.
For B...The risk is we don't have a right footed player behind Cannon and they'll exploit that space with Cook forced to come out...so if they do Field drops between the centrebacks, with a screen of Colback and Dozell still in front. Chair / Willock / Dykes job is not to engage, but to screen and stop anyone passing into their left centre back, left back or our vacant right back position and to force them to play central.
For C...Were likely to have 6 or 7 behind the ball so you'd hope we're ok.

Defending
Back 4, midfield 3 shuttle across ball side, as do Chair and Willock. Dykes sitting on their pivot. Swamp the area with the ball with bodies. The fullback on the other side is left one-on-one, and must show their player outside. If they're beaten, there should be enough left in the box to defend the cross.

Enjoyable mental exercise, but I am aware that no strategy survives contact with the enemy and this is just champo-onanism. Main thing is I genuinely think we have the tools to do ok in this division once we get the set up right. And this feels like one way of doing it.
What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 11:03 - Nov 3 with 1003 viewsEsox_Lucius

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 09:41 - Nov 3 by dannyblue

You've encouraged me. With this team in this state I want to be narrow enough with enough behind to stop being hurt on the transition as we have been for so long. But we also need to be more dangerous. Best XI is...

Dykes
Willock Chair
Colback Field Dozell
Paal JCS Cook Cannon

Attacking approach A
Paal, Willock, Chair to work out combinations on the left with the goal of getting to the byline, a shot from edge of area, or a cross into the box. They'll get in that position mainly from a begovic, JCS, paal pasing move, perhaps with 1-2s off field, or paal tucking in to open the longer pass to a wide Willock.
Dozell and Dykes coming from deep to arrive late in the box on the end of a cross or byline pull back.
Field and Colback sitting behind the ball, and Cannon tucking in as another sitting midfielder to stop the counter - making a narrow five behind the ball including the centrebacks.

Attacking approach B
Same, but instead Dozell remaining behind the ball, and Cannon bombing on wide to be available for a big switch, or to arrive on the end of a cross to the back post.

Attacking approach C
Dykes between their centre backs, coming short for the ball to feet back to goal, with the midfielders available for a lay off and then a forward pass into Chair or Willock who have moved into the space behind Dykes. Dykes to arrive late once they've made a crossing opportunity. One fullback overlaps. Other and 3 midfielders stay behind the ball.

Transition
For A...Since we'll have 5 behind the ball, we can afford to have Paal, Willock, Chair, Dykes, Dozell all press hard initially once the ball is lost. If they break out of the press, then settle back into defending as below.
For B...The risk is we don't have a right footed player behind Cannon and they'll exploit that space with Cook forced to come out...so if they do Field drops between the centrebacks, with a screen of Colback and Dozell still in front. Chair / Willock / Dykes job is not to engage, but to screen and stop anyone passing into their left centre back, left back or our vacant right back position and to force them to play central.
For C...Were likely to have 6 or 7 behind the ball so you'd hope we're ok.

Defending
Back 4, midfield 3 shuttle across ball side, as do Chair and Willock. Dykes sitting on their pivot. Swamp the area with the ball with bodies. The fullback on the other side is left one-on-one, and must show their player outside. If they're beaten, there should be enough left in the box to defend the cross.

Enjoyable mental exercise, but I am aware that no strategy survives contact with the enemy and this is just champo-onanism. Main thing is I genuinely think we have the tools to do ok in this division once we get the set up right. And this feels like one way of doing it.

Not much to disagree with there IMO. From a purely personal POV I think Cook & Colback may not be the people for the job with MC in charge. After his display of putting (an aging) Jamie Vardy in his pocket and his better technical ability I would have Kakay in place of Cook and Elijah Dixon-Bonner instead of Colback, possibly Duke-McKenna if ED-B is injured. Every time I have watched Colback I have thought he was a yellow card waiting to happen and a liability.
If, and it's a big if, I would hope there was a way for Taylor Richards to become part of the attacking lineup but not at the expense of Chair or Willock.

The grass is always greener.

What should the new manager say to each player about their performance/ ability on 20:58 - Nov 4 with 841 viewsdannyblue

Wasn’t there but the goal looks like attacking approach A
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024