Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good luck Maidstone United 13:27 - Jan 25 with 1270 viewsgerry_us

This is not that I dislike Ipswich; well not much, but more than I have an affinity with Maidstone United.
In the late seventies during my refereeing times I lived three doors down from Barry Watling, the then Maidstone manager. Consequently I was often asked to officiate pre season and friendly matches, the highlight being a pre season match against West Ham United including Brooking and Lampard.
Memorable....come on the Stones.
Good luck Maidstone United on 14:44 - Jan 25 with 1250 viewsthrillseeker

This is because of my dislike of Ipswich (and the George Elokobi connection)

Good luck Maidstone

Nice story though Gerry
Good luck Maidstone United on 17:04 - Jan 25 with 1221 viewsburnsieespana

For a short time I worked fir the same company as Watling around 1991/2.
I don't like Ipswich and George is one of ours and maybe a future Manager.
Good luck Maidstone United on 23:40 - Jan 25 with 1185 viewsdurham_exile

Any excuse for me to support whoever is playing the Poor Man Road outfit.

Big George deserves to spring a surprise against them.

Great story Gerry.

Durham_exile

Good luck Maidstone United on 07:21 - Jan 26 with 1175 viewsnoah4x4

Most CUFC fans were born in North Essex, so have a natural affinity. As a newcomer to the Town, I initially had no such affinity. My first visit to Layer Road was as a Bristol City follower, and I loved it as it so reminded me of my boyhood Aggborough Stadium (Kidderminster Harriers).

I have always followed my local team as my career took me around the country, hence Kidderminster Harriers, Aston Villa, Millwall Bristol City, etc. When I first arrived in Colchester, over twenty years ago, I would alternate each Saturday between Colchester United and Ipswich Town as I had no particular affinity for either.. For no logical reason other than I wasn’t residing there, when at Portman Road I always sat with the away fans, long before my final destination passion for Colchester Utd had developed.

In my second season as a Colchester resident, my wife bought me a Colchester Utd season ticket, and that has since been my annual birthday gift for 19 years. At that Xmas, she bought me an Ipswich half-season ticket, but located me immediately below the away fans in an almost empty home section. Sitting alone, the abuse I got from away fans was appalling. I recall sat thinking “…..and I am not even an Ipswich fan!”. Then the penny dropped. This was truly divine intervention and a direction from above. “Will I be Ipswich, will I be U’s, this what it said to me…..”.

In the following season, I committed wholly to Colchester Utd, having also met a few guys that Summer that have since been best pals for almost two decades. In my third season, I started traveling away, and since then, I have missed few U’s games home or away. This final destination coincided with my last company move, so it’s now “Col U til I die”. Strangely, I probably “hate” Ipswich more than you lot.

Some forty years ago, I was appointed Maidstone Branch Manager of my employer, but before I took up the post, the Central London Manager resigned and I got redirected to the “City” and Millwall (rather than Gillingham). Commuting into Liverpool Street then made eminent sense. Again, was that divine intervention steering me towards Layer Road? I came a whisker from buying a house in Maidstone and had committed a huge amount of emotional energy to that aborted move during two months devoted to house hunting etc. Strangely, I continue to feel an affinity to Maidstone, having flirted with that town.

This journey might seem weird to die-hard U’s fans born in this town (City). My boy remains a die -hard Villa despite leaving the midlands 35 years ago and he thinks I am insane being a U’s fan. However, blue & white now flows through my veins, but with a few red cells converted by brief exposure to Maidstone corrupted genes. I really hope Maidstone embarrass the arrogant cocks.
[Post edited 26 Jan 7:27]
Good luck Maidstone United on 10:44 - Jan 26 with 1133 viewsbwildered

Saturday 10th March 1990 - 1st Team
Match details
Season: 1989-1990
Competition: English Fourth Division
Venue:
Watling Street
(Away match)
Attendance: 2,856

Wonder how many can recall this fixture played at Dartford . Many U’s supporters watched the game sitting on the adjoining shed roof . Not a pleasant experience given the result ( score omitted) which continued our March to relegation .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Good luck Maidstone United on 17:34 - Jan 26 with 1102 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I'll be hoping for a Stones win tomorrow for sure.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Good luck Maidstone United on 17:35 - Jan 26 with 1097 viewsCrashBandicoot

If Town under estimate Maidstone then that will be their undoing. Town also have one eye on promotion to the Premier League (hopefully they will ultimately fail) so George will try to exploit that.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Good luck Maidstone United on 13:38 - Jan 27 with 1017 viewsgerry_us

Brilliant.
Now hold on guys.
Login to get fewer ads

Good luck Maidstone United on 13:42 - Jan 27 with 1012 viewsBlue4U2

Half time looking g good Big George
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/68041424
Keep it going 2nd 45.....
Good luck Maidstone United on 13:48 - Jan 27 with 1013 viewsgerry_us

Ooops
Still all to play for Stones.
Good luck Maidstone United on 13:57 - Jan 27 with 1012 viewsgerry_us

Magic 2-1 to Stones
Good luck Maidstone United on 14:29 - Jan 27 with 998 viewsgerry_us

V to you tractor boys
Good luck Maidstone United on 14:30 - Jan 27 with 997 viewsLeadbelly

Good luck Maidstone United on 13:57 - Jan 27 by gerry_us

Magic 2-1 to Stones

Ipswich 1 Maidstone 2 FT.

Nurse, the corset please, my sides are splitting.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Good luck Maidstone United on 14:36 - Jan 27 with 989 viewswessex_exile

Good luck Maidstone United on 14:30 - Jan 27 by Leadbelly

Ipswich 1 Maidstone 2 FT.

Nurse, the corset please, my sides are splitting.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Good luck Maidstone United on 14:37 - Jan 27 with 987 viewsgerry_us

George is on the telly
Good luck Maidstone United on 14:50 - Jan 27 with 979 viewsthrillseeker

George Elokobi & Craig Fagan

What a result

Watching the Ipswich fans in disbelief was entertainment
Good luck Maidstone United on 15:09 - Jan 27 with 968 viewsgerry_us

And now my other team Chesterfield beating Sarfend 1-0 after a couple of minutes.
Just need a U's win and I may just crack open a bottle of wine this evening...
Good luck Maidstone United on 15:21 - Jan 27 with 961 viewsburnsieespana

My fanatical Ipswich mate is silent! Not answering my messages.
Ha ha ....well done George.
Good luck Maidstone United on 20:00 - Jan 27 with 883 viewsSparkfilmsTV

I only caught the final twenty minutes of this match and was willing Maidstone to hang on.

The interviews that George gave after the match were wonderful.

He relates to aspects of life that go far beyond football.

George is an inspirational character and fully deserves his success.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024