Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes 09:43 - Apr 28 with 24744 viewswessex_exile

As suggested on the matchday thread, let’s kick off the traditional summer transfer speculation. I’ll start with our current loanees. I doubt Palace would release Owen Goodman, and if they did, would we want him or even be able to afford him? Of the rest, I’d definitely like to see Alastair Smith and maybe Riley Harbottle sign if they were released. As for the rest, they’ll be heading back to make room for new choices.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:10 - Jun 28 with 1152 viewsdurham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:57 - Jun 28 by RSCOSWORTH

Ben Goodliffe, centre back from Sutton, is the latest rumour I've heard.

RS
Ben Goodliffe has signed a two year deal.

Durham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:18 - Jun 28 with 1132 viewsdurham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:10 - Jun 28 by durham_exile

RS

John Kymani Gordon has signed after being released by Crystal Palace. A winger/striker

Durham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:18 - Jun 28 with 1084 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:18 - Jun 28 by durham_exile

John Kymani Gordon has signed after being released by Crystal Palace. A winger/striker

3 goals in 47 L1/2 apperances (for good teams) is way short of Tom's, Samson's and Bradley's records, so I'm assuming he's must be more of a winger than a striker?

Two year contact is a great opportunity for him, I hope he can fill Fevs boots.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:40 - Jun 28 with 1044 viewsfranksic1988

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:18 - Jun 28 by TheOldOakTree

3 goals in 47 L1/2 apperances (for good teams) is way short of Tom's, Samson's and Bradley's records, so I'm assuming he's must be more of a winger than a striker?

Two year contact is a great opportunity for him, I hope he can fill Fevs boots.

Yes I did check his stats…. It does say a CF. But last season at Wimbledon he scored 1 goal in 18 games … with 0 assists….. seems a bit of a weird one. Think he also had a stint at Cambridge 14 games 0 goals and 1 assist. Be interesting where they will play him and how important his role will be.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:48 - Jun 28 with 1037 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 17:10 - Jun 28 by durham_exile

RS

Looks like Sutton fans rate him highly, but he has suffered long absences through injury over last two seasons.

https://www.suttonunited.net/news/2022/august2/ben-goodliffe-injury-update/

If he's A1 it sounds like a good signing.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:52 - Jun 28 with 1023 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:40 - Jun 28 by franksic1988

Yes I did check his stats…. It does say a CF. But last season at Wimbledon he scored 1 goal in 18 games … with 0 assists….. seems a bit of a weird one. Think he also had a stint at Cambridge 14 games 0 goals and 1 assist. Be interesting where they will play him and how important his role will be.

We had a centre forward once before that started at Palace......

...... Jamie Moralee.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:17 - Jun 28 with 980 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:48 - Jun 28 by TheOldOakTree

Looks like Sutton fans rate him highly, but he has suffered long absences through injury over last two seasons.

https://www.suttonunited.net/news/2022/august2/ben-goodliffe-injury-update/

If he's A1 it sounds like a good signing.

OFFS From 2018

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/ben-goodliffe-it-was-a-c

"I found out that I had a bit of a knee injury, which we needed to sort out before I could play any games"

“I was out injured for 17-21 weeks, with recovery and rehab work"

Ironically he's probably the reason we stayed up last season. He was a former Sutton player of the season, but on top of the two injuries mentioned previously, he also missed 16 games last year.

I don't know what the injury was then, but all bets relating to knees are off.

So that's a defender with glass knees and a striker that never scores.

On a brighter note, if we got around £400k for Fevs and Mingi, I'm guessing we've still got at least £395k left.

How long before we find out Matt Macey has a grass allergy?
[Post edited 28 Jun 19:26]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:13 - Jun 28 with 863 viewsfranksic1988

Wouldn’t playing Connor Wilkinson be like a new signing. The new palace kid must surely be bought as a winger. His assists would surely rise on the stats if we got him crossing and shooting as a winger!
Login to get fewer ads

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:27 - Jun 29 with 760 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Sutton fans weren't joking when they said Goodliffe missed a lot of games in the last too seasons. I count 47 games, but most worrying is that it looks like he ended last season injured.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ben-goodliffe/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/4542

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ben-goodliffe/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/4542

Undoubtable a good signing IF he's A1, and the sort that could soon become a fans favourite.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:43 - Jun 29 with 736 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:13 - Jun 28 by franksic1988

Wouldn’t playing Connor Wilkinson be like a new signing. The new palace kid must surely be bought as a winger. His assists would surely rise on the stats if we got him crossing and shooting as a winger!

I'm guessing that when DC said some of the contracted players were free to leave, that would have included Conner. His face doesn't seem to fit, which is a shame.

I'm not really sure what sort of players DC wants, but if they have to run through walls and be in bed by 9pm, then that could rule out a lot of class players like Cureton, McGavin, etc.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:49 - Jun 29 with 651 viewsfranksic1988

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:43 - Jun 29 by TheOldOakTree

I'm guessing that when DC said some of the contracted players were free to leave, that would have included Conner. His face doesn't seem to fit, which is a shame.

I'm not really sure what sort of players DC wants, but if they have to run through walls and be in bed by 9pm, then that could rule out a lot of class players like Cureton, McGavin, etc.

Yeh I agree he was defo one told he is free to leave. He obviously doesn’t get on with the brothers… I mean poor git couldn’t buy a game last season. Clearly when we needed fresh legs…. I’m not turning him into van Persie but would been nice to see a bit of him! I mean he must be scratching his head when bringing in kids or playing existing guy that don’t / can’t score.

I can’t see why we are buying injury prone player and guys that haven’t produced at this level. Why not find a diamond in the rough or at least try… I mean we do have Super Simon another friend of theirs. We also have loads of stats men to look at reports on players and study the figures… this is my opinion and easier said than done but wouldn’t we rather take a punt on someone than buy someone we know will 99.9% not do the job.

I think the brothers are bang average and been given free shot after free shot. But at this rate it’s going to be hard to know where buck stops and starts here. It’s just carnage.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 15:06 - Jun 29 with 642 viewsAddy

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:49 - Jun 29 by franksic1988

Yeh I agree he was defo one told he is free to leave. He obviously doesn’t get on with the brothers… I mean poor git couldn’t buy a game last season. Clearly when we needed fresh legs…. I’m not turning him into van Persie but would been nice to see a bit of him! I mean he must be scratching his head when bringing in kids or playing existing guy that don’t / can’t score.

I can’t see why we are buying injury prone player and guys that haven’t produced at this level. Why not find a diamond in the rough or at least try… I mean we do have Super Simon another friend of theirs. We also have loads of stats men to look at reports on players and study the figures… this is my opinion and easier said than done but wouldn’t we rather take a punt on someone than buy someone we know will 99.9% not do the job.

I think the brothers are bang average and been given free shot after free shot. But at this rate it’s going to be hard to know where buck stops and starts here. It’s just carnage.

2 out and 4 in next week is the rumour, lets see…….
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 16:23 - Jun 29 with 613 viewsbwildered

Crystal Palace have agreed a deal to let promising goalkeeper Owen Goodman move to AFC Wimbledon.

Let’s hope he is busy first game of the season.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:07 - Jun 29 with 581 viewsTheOldOakTree

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 15:06 - Jun 29 by Addy

2 out and 4 in next week is the rumour, lets see…….

" It’s just carnage" I love that, and it fits!

(Sorry, replied to the wrong post!)

I don't disagree with anything you say, but we should remain realistic. If DC and NC were that good they wouldn't be at Colchester, they would still be in the Championship. They had a Mr Moneybags at Lincoln, now they've got to prove they can do it on the cheap.

The simple facts are that they are the best we are going to get and if they can't turn things around then I don't see how anyone else will. Everytime we change managers the club gets further in debt and takes another step backwards. We must have some stability.

The problem is not the manager or the players, and unfortunately the problem is not going anywhere, so the best we can hope for, is to muddle along like we always have done. We've been in deeper shit before.

It's obvious that the money has run out, from now on, anyone who's worth a few quid will be sold and DC is going to have to work miracles. It's not how we want it, but that's how it is. It won't stop me moaning, but if he's got to bring in 10 players for buttons, then he's going to have to take some risks. There are 91 other clubs all looking for the, as yet unfound, star of the future, it's not easy.

We can hope that, one day, the academy actually starts to furnish the team with sufficient number of players that are good enough to get us away from the trapdoor.

In the meantime, as long as we survive, that's a victory in itself. Anything else is a bonus.
[Post edited 29 Jun 18:08]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 19:16 - Jun 29 with 557 viewsfranksic1988

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 18:07 - Jun 29 by TheOldOakTree

" It’s just carnage" I love that, and it fits!

(Sorry, replied to the wrong post!)

I don't disagree with anything you say, but we should remain realistic. If DC and NC were that good they wouldn't be at Colchester, they would still be in the Championship. They had a Mr Moneybags at Lincoln, now they've got to prove they can do it on the cheap.

The simple facts are that they are the best we are going to get and if they can't turn things around then I don't see how anyone else will. Everytime we change managers the club gets further in debt and takes another step backwards. We must have some stability.

The problem is not the manager or the players, and unfortunately the problem is not going anywhere, so the best we can hope for, is to muddle along like we always have done. We've been in deeper shit before.

It's obvious that the money has run out, from now on, anyone who's worth a few quid will be sold and DC is going to have to work miracles. It's not how we want it, but that's how it is. It won't stop me moaning, but if he's got to bring in 10 players for buttons, then he's going to have to take some risks. There are 91 other clubs all looking for the, as yet unfound, star of the future, it's not easy.

We can hope that, one day, the academy actually starts to furnish the team with sufficient number of players that are good enough to get us away from the trapdoor.

In the meantime, as long as we survive, that's a victory in itself. Anything else is a bonus.
[Post edited 29 Jun 18:08]

I’m 100% in agreement with everything you have posted. But some of the stuff he has said in interviews is slightly embarrassing ( our cf are the envy of championship clubs ) ( he wants to finish mid table - when he took over ). I think it would actually be refreshing if he come out and said we are working with what we have got. At times it won’t be pretty but I’m hoping it can be affective. Bottom line is if we are buying these kind of players it’s a water into wine Job, to get us out of the sh*t no matter who is charge.

This problem is obviously so deep rooted. It’s deeper than just the managers….. I’d rather we didn’t have people on the pay roll that wasn’t needed. We seem to have more coaches than national express. We have the Italian guy. We brung in Basey head of recruitment. In all honesty do we need a head of recruitment to promote young players from our youth team. Also I don’t think you need him to buy the last 2 players. It’s just guys on the pay roll that’s not needed.

We will 100% be in a relegation battle again unless the calibre of signings are upped dramatically.

Keeper wise he should really be able to play league 2 quite comfortably and be a big improvement.

I mean we did have some decent players down there last season ( Taylor/ Ali Smith ) they are knocking about! I’m hoping they are trying for Ali smith come hell
Or high water.
[Post edited 29 Jun 22:22]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:57 - Jun 29 with 519 viewsTheOldOakTree

Yes indeed, the bullshit winds me up, it's like they think we are 5 year old, but in fairness that's how the country works, it's bullshit everywhere.

We record this call for training purposes.... no you don't you record it to use it against me if there's an arguement.

If you vote for me I'll... no you won't you've been in power 14 years and done #### all..

Selling Fevs and Mingi is great business for the club... no it's not, but it keeps the wolves from the door.

Last year when we lost the Essex Senior Cup to one step up from a pub team, it was - it's good experience, our players will learn from it... no they won't, most of them have been released now.

It's like a Few Good Men:

Us: We want the truth.

DC: You want the truth?

Us: I think we’re entitled to the truth!

DC: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world where the academy needs to be paid for, the pitch drainage, and all the coaches. Who's gonna do it? You? Mr Supporter? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Fevrier, and you curse the owners. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know - that Read will also be sold, and while tragic, it probably saves the club; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves this club.

Us: Did you sign a striker on the cheap.

DC: I did my job.

Us: DID YOU SIGN A STRIKER ON THE CHEAP?

DC: YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT I DID!
[Post edited 29 Jun 20:58]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:28 - Jun 29 with 492 viewsdurham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 20:57 - Jun 29 by TheOldOakTree

Yes indeed, the bullshit winds me up, it's like they think we are 5 year old, but in fairness that's how the country works, it's bullshit everywhere.

We record this call for training purposes.... no you don't you record it to use it against me if there's an arguement.

If you vote for me I'll... no you won't you've been in power 14 years and done #### all..

Selling Fevs and Mingi is great business for the club... no it's not, but it keeps the wolves from the door.

Last year when we lost the Essex Senior Cup to one step up from a pub team, it was - it's good experience, our players will learn from it... no they won't, most of them have been released now.

It's like a Few Good Men:

Us: We want the truth.

DC: You want the truth?

Us: I think we’re entitled to the truth!

DC: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world where the academy needs to be paid for, the pitch drainage, and all the coaches. Who's gonna do it? You? Mr Supporter? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Fevrier, and you curse the owners. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know - that Read will also be sold, and while tragic, it probably saves the club; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves this club.

Us: Did you sign a striker on the cheap.

DC: I did my job.

Us: DID YOU SIGN A STRIKER ON THE CHEAP?

DC: YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT I DID!
[Post edited 29 Jun 20:58]

Absolutely classic TOOT.

One of the best films of all time.

I love your artistic licence for the Colonel's response.

Recent signings have kept the wolves at bay. I hope that we may yet retain Read.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:44 - Jun 29 with 475 viewsSparkfilmsTV

While l watch Coldplay at Glastonbury on my television screen l would like to repeat a quote from a conversation l had yesterday with a much respected former player of Colchester United.

It is as follows -

'THEY ARE SHOPPING IN POUNDLAND'.

None of us are able to evaluate how the changes in the squad will pan out but there appears to be a slight hint of desperation.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 23:25 - Jun 29 with 469 viewswessex_exile

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 22:44 - Jun 29 by SparkfilmsTV

While l watch Coldplay at Glastonbury on my television screen l would like to repeat a quote from a conversation l had yesterday with a much respected former player of Colchester United.

It is as follows -

'THEY ARE SHOPPING IN POUNDLAND'.

None of us are able to evaluate how the changes in the squad will pan out but there appears to be a slight hint of desperation.

Crikey - I'm surprised you stayed awake long enough to post!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 08:02 - Jun 30 with 404 viewsSparkfilmsTV

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 23:25 - Jun 29 by wessex_exile

Crikey - I'm surprised you stayed awake long enough to post!

😊😊....yeah, an unusual and bloated offering at times and a far cry from the Coldplay who l saw in their first month's on the road at Colchester Arts Centre many years ago.

With Michael Eavis in his 90th year it was no surprise that he looked as remote as Joe Biden when the camera zoomed in.

The Idles, from their performance on Friday night, was more in my zone!

As for football finance, around club's in Essex and Suffolk l am hearing that quite a few budgets have been reduced for the new season.

Can't work out what some of the wages at Colchester United might be but a substantial reduction several steps down the pyramid....several examples that suggest a drop of around a quarter to a third.
[Post edited 30 Jun 8:04]
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 08:06 - Jun 30 with 401 viewsWitham

Who would invest £350 in a play for which we don't know the cast, the subject, or the script ? That's why we are supporters, irrespective of what turns up each Saturday.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:52 - Jun 30 with 371 viewsBLACKCAT

There's clearly a massive cloud of depression over Essex right now. Obviously It is concerning losing your few good players so soon and there must be doubts over Goodliffe's injury record. But I expect a raft of new signings in the next five or six weeks and then we'll have a better idea of how high or low expectations realistically can be.

Despite the second half of last season I still believe Colchester United have one of, if not, the best management teams in League Two. I have to disagree with some of the views in preceding posts.

Lincoln City was not Moneybags Lincoln City when the Cowleys arrived. It was the club's sixth season in The National League and they'd finished in the bottom half in every one of the previous five. To lead The Imps to the title was a fine achievement and because of the superb FA Cup run the brothers oversaw substantial funds were earned for future spending. They took Lincoln into the play-offs in their first season back in the league and to League Two Champions in the second. These successes should not be belittled.

Colchester United are extremely fortunate that the Cowleys agreed to become their management team. They had much more attractive offers out there. They turned down what is easily the biggest team in your division only weeks before joining The U's. But you had an ace in the hole; they are Essex men. They have only one perceived failure in their past and even then it was leaving Pompey tenth in League One.

I can understand where much of the pessimism is coming from. It's a decade and a half since Colchester supporters had much to cheer and you escaped by the skin of your teeth in April. But I will be astonished if 2024-25 isn't a dramatic improvement on recent years with Danny and Nicky at the helm.

Up The U's!
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 10:17 - Jun 30 with 360 viewsburnsieespana

The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 09:52 - Jun 30 by BLACKCAT

There's clearly a massive cloud of depression over Essex right now. Obviously It is concerning losing your few good players so soon and there must be doubts over Goodliffe's injury record. But I expect a raft of new signings in the next five or six weeks and then we'll have a better idea of how high or low expectations realistically can be.

Despite the second half of last season I still believe Colchester United have one of, if not, the best management teams in League Two. I have to disagree with some of the views in preceding posts.

Lincoln City was not Moneybags Lincoln City when the Cowleys arrived. It was the club's sixth season in The National League and they'd finished in the bottom half in every one of the previous five. To lead The Imps to the title was a fine achievement and because of the superb FA Cup run the brothers oversaw substantial funds were earned for future spending. They took Lincoln into the play-offs in their first season back in the league and to League Two Champions in the second. These successes should not be belittled.

Colchester United are extremely fortunate that the Cowleys agreed to become their management team. They had much more attractive offers out there. They turned down what is easily the biggest team in your division only weeks before joining The U's. But you had an ace in the hole; they are Essex men. They have only one perceived failure in their past and even then it was leaving Pompey tenth in League One.

I can understand where much of the pessimism is coming from. It's a decade and a half since Colchester supporters had much to cheer and you escaped by the skin of your teeth in April. But I will be astonished if 2024-25 isn't a dramatic improvement on recent years with Danny and Nicky at the helm.

Up The U's!

Excellent comments, you aren't Danny Cowley in disguise?
Most of us trust in DC and NC but we have had so many false dawns over the last 4 years or so.
I don't know how season ticket sales have gone but feeling seems to be they are up on the last few years.
So far DC seems to be close to achieving what a set ot as as his objective to have the majority of the squad in place for the start of preseason.
On the OM it is being said rumours are 4 more in this week with 2 out.
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 13:11 - Jun 30 with 310 viewsTheOldOakTree

Up The U's!

OK, so retired South African hedge fund manager Clive Nates bought into Lincoln City in February 2016. The Cowleys joined in May 2016.

There’s a video on the internet of Nates describing how a few months later, DC left numerous messages on his phone because he wanted to buy Sean Raggett but the price tag was £100,000+. Nates told him to go ahead because he would cover the cost.

That’s a non-league manager being told 8 years ago that he could spend £100k on one player. It’s all subjective, but in my book that makes the owner Mr Moneybags. In truth, I don’t think he’s that rich, he’s just lucky. As it turned out it went to tribunal.

Thanks to a single goal from Raggett a few months later, the Imps knocked Prem side Burnley out of the Cup to set up a semi-final tie with Arsenal. The money rolled in and the rest is history. Skill, luck, wealthy owner, a combination of all three, who knows, their record at Lincoln is unquestionably impressive, as it was at Braintree. I’m certainly not belittling their achievements, just pointing out that it’s a million miles from the cash strapped, sell, sell, sell that they find themselves in now.

Their record so far at the U’s has been poor and they have been cut some serious slack, they can shout a lot, but haven’t shown much else. Despite that, frustrations are not with the Cowleys, but with the state of the club they have inherited, which shows little signs of improvement. As of August, it will be their team and the faithful will be fully behind them, but let’s not be under any illusions, their task here is probably much harder than they have faced before and even a mid-table finish would be a welcome relief and a small step in the right direction.

Just out of interest, are you a blood relative of the Cowleys or just related by marriage?
The Summer of ‘24 - ins, outs and maybes on 14:28 - Jun 30 with 290 viewsfranksic1988

Up The U's!

Extremely lucky to have the Cowleys …. They nearly got us relegated… they even had January to get in 3/4 loan signings.

People will go in on me but I’m not Anti DC I’m just Pro Facts…. Facts are they nearly got us relegated and we struggled to win games…

Half a season is long enough to establish a style in which you would like to see your team play. Like him or not Garner did stamp a style on the team. Maybe they couldn’t carry it out. But he stamped a style on them.

Our better players that left obvs never bought into his system and waffle ( hence why they left ) anyone attached to Colchester Utd that believes they’re the saviour is really wrong.

This is not a post laying all the blame on DC and NC … but a lot of buck does have to stop with them to a certain extent.

I think the sooner the majority of fans get their head out their ass with the DC and NC the better…. Let’s be honest majority of the fans like them as they lick ass to the fans. We have a crap set up from top to bottom ( chuckle brothers included )

No other manager that’s performed like them has had the fans pointing all the blame at the owner…. Proof is also in the pudding 3 / 4 of our regular starters have moved up a league. Another 1/2 that are still there could easily play a league up. Add to that Ali smith / Anderson …. The core of that team wasn’t one of the worst in England professional football.
[Post edited 30 Jun 14:35]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024