Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? 09:24 - Jun 19 with 2400 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Despite talk of a supermajority and Labour triumphantly sweeping in on a wave of votes on July 4th the latest yougov poll has them only sitting on 36% which is a whole 4% lower than the percentage Corbyn achieved in 2017.

https://yougov.co.uk/elections/uk/2024

If this poll is accurate it’s a quite pathetic performance from Starmer, Rayner et al. you would think or hope that they would be taking full advantage of the disarray in the Tory ranks and we’d be seeing a surge in Labour voting intention. But there seems little appetite to vote for Labour either. They’re losing support if anything.

It’s quite a sorry state of affairs all around to be honest.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 17:45 - Jun 20 with 539 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 17:25 - Jun 20 by builthjack

You can feel the wave of optimism out and about on the streets. I have been to many places this week and there is a big buzz . Not on here with about 8 people, but throughout the country.

If there’s a buzzing in Builth it’s probably just cow shit.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 17:45 - Jun 20 with 538 viewsGwyn737

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:48 - Jun 20 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

1997 you could feel a wave of optimism though. Of course there was a lot of Tory fatigue and John major might have been so boring he was the only child in history to run away from the circus to join a firm of accountants, but there was real optimism. Poorly placed optimism in hindsight but we don’t have anything like that now.

I think you're right about optimism but I think we've been ground down.

I disagree with you about poorly placed optimism. From 1997 up to the global ficnacial crisis we had good times. Low NHS waiting lists, roads without potholes, you could swim in the sea, houses were afordable, free higher education, smaller class sizes to name a few.

Unfortunatley it looks like some hard years are ahead.

I may well have been partly my age too but I think I may end up looking back at the Blair years as the best quality ones of my life.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 17:47 - Jun 20 with 537 viewsSullutaCreturned

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 17:25 - Jun 20 by builthjack

You can feel the wave of optimism out and about on the streets. I have been to many places this week and there is a big buzz . Not on here with about 8 people, but throughout the country.

Oh Builthy mun, the people on here don'tjust stay home all day bashing Labour (as you see it) we go out, we speak to other people, we go to work and shopping. I'll ask others, are you feeling a wave of optimism?

The only optimism I've noticed is that we will be rid of the tories. Nobody is particularly optimistic about Labour.
Again, we can wait for the result and then we'll know but I'll be surprised if the turnout isn't lower than usual because (as those polls predict) the support for Labour isn't surging it's just that the tories are dead on the vine. Indeed the polls even suggest that Labour has lost some voters too. People aresick and fed up of politicians because they are broadly useless, all too often corrupt/liars/cheats/negligent/self serving or any combination of those and even if they are none of those they seem totally out of touch with public opinion.
I've heard several people I know say theywon't even bother voting. I don't see that as the answer but then people would say my vote is wasted because it'll be for an independent candidate.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 18:06 - Jun 20 with 510 viewsonehunglow

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 17:47 - Jun 20 by SullutaCreturned

Oh Builthy mun, the people on here don'tjust stay home all day bashing Labour (as you see it) we go out, we speak to other people, we go to work and shopping. I'll ask others, are you feeling a wave of optimism?

The only optimism I've noticed is that we will be rid of the tories. Nobody is particularly optimistic about Labour.
Again, we can wait for the result and then we'll know but I'll be surprised if the turnout isn't lower than usual because (as those polls predict) the support for Labour isn't surging it's just that the tories are dead on the vine. Indeed the polls even suggest that Labour has lost some voters too. People aresick and fed up of politicians because they are broadly useless, all too often corrupt/liars/cheats/negligent/self serving or any combination of those and even if they are none of those they seem totally out of touch with public opinion.
I've heard several people I know say theywon't even bother voting. I don't see that as the answer but then people would say my vote is wasted because it'll be for an independent candidate.

Most Ivexspoken to are disinterested or broken in spirit or mistrustfulmof all politicians
Nobody looking forward to a Starmer show
Builth Wells,yeah

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 18:34 - Jun 20 with 478 viewsjohnlangy

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 11:57 - Jun 20 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

I picked Yougov because they are probably the most well known and respected of all the pollsters. They were the only ones who correctly predicted a hung parliament in 2017. Predicting the future is impossible at the best of times but they have a good record of being more accurate than the rest.

If you are suggesting I hand picked them for nefarious purposes you’re wrong.

Fair enough.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 21:54 - Jun 20 with 416 viewsDJack

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 16:48 - Jun 20 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

1997 you could feel a wave of optimism though. Of course there was a lot of Tory fatigue and John major might have been so boring he was the only child in history to run away from the circus to join a firm of accountants, but there was real optimism. Poorly placed optimism in hindsight but we don’t have anything like that now.

Your last line is arrant nonsense.

Somewhere on here someone post a list of Blair's government laws. It's impressive reading by any standards.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 22:03 - Jun 20 with 396 viewsraynor94

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 21:54 - Jun 20 by DJack

Somewhere on here someone post a list of Blair's government laws. It's impressive reading by any standards.

Blair was brilliant at the beginning, I remember waking up that morning, feeling things were going to get better.

And then came along the weapons of mass destruction fiasco, and blotted his copy book for ever

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 22:06 - Jun 20 with 393 viewsDJack

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 22:03 - Jun 20 by raynor94

Blair was brilliant at the beginning, I remember waking up that morning, feeling things were going to get better.

And then came along the weapons of mass destruction fiasco, and blotted his copy book for ever

Fully agreed mate. But you cant pretend the long list of positives didn't exist.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Login to get fewer ads

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 22:17 - Jun 20 with 388 viewsmajorraglan

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 21:54 - Jun 20 by DJack

This is one that’s floating around on the internet. It doesn’t capture everything, but it’s quite detailed. Notable omissions include free entry to museums, free bus travel for pensioners, the Freedom of Information Act, some substantial new powers to the Criminal Justice System and there’s more including sustained growth rates higher than most developed nations, a significant real term increase in disposal income plus more. Not everything has worked out better or maybe as well as it could or should have, but the positives generally outweigh the negatives.

Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.
Low mortgage rates.
Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52.
Over 14,000 more police in England and Wales.
Cut overall crime by 32 per cent.
Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools.
Young people achieving some of the best ever results at 14, 16, and 18.
Funding for every pupil in England has doubled.
Employment is at its highest level ever.
Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.
85,000 more nurses.
32,000 more doctors.
Brought back matrons to hospital wards.
Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.
Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.
Dads now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.
NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice.
Gift aid was worth £828 million to charities last year.
Restored city-wide government to London.
Record number of students in higher education.
Child benefit up 26 per cent since 1997.
Delivered 2,200 Sure Start Children’s Centres.
Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
£200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s.
On course to exceed our Kyoto target for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland.
Over 36,000 more teachers in England and 274,000 more support staff and teaching assistants.
All full time workers now have a right to 24 days paid holiday.
A million pensioners lifted out of poverty.
600,000 children lifted out of relative poverty.
Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.
Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships.
Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard.
Inpatient waiting lists down by over half a million since 1997.
Banned fox hunting.
Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since before the industrial revolution.
Free TV licences for over-75s.
Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals.
Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.
Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.
New Deal – helped over 1.8 million people into work.
Over 3 million child trust funds have been started.
Free eye test for over 60s.
More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.
Free entry to national museums and galleries.
Overseas aid budget more than doubled.
Heart disease deaths down by 150,000 and cancer deaths down by 50,000.
Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.
Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.
Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 22:32 - Jun 20 with 382 viewsraynor94

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 22:06 - Jun 20 by DJack

Fully agreed mate. But you cant pretend the long list of positives didn't exist.

I certainly don't

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 22:49 - Jun 20 with 364 viewsbuilthjack

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 22:17 - Jun 20 by majorraglan

This is one that’s floating around on the internet. It doesn’t capture everything, but it’s quite detailed. Notable omissions include free entry to museums, free bus travel for pensioners, the Freedom of Information Act, some substantial new powers to the Criminal Justice System and there’s more including sustained growth rates higher than most developed nations, a significant real term increase in disposal income plus more. Not everything has worked out better or maybe as well as it could or should have, but the positives generally outweigh the negatives.

Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.
Low mortgage rates.
Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52.
Over 14,000 more police in England and Wales.
Cut overall crime by 32 per cent.
Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools.
Young people achieving some of the best ever results at 14, 16, and 18.
Funding for every pupil in England has doubled.
Employment is at its highest level ever.
Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.
85,000 more nurses.
32,000 more doctors.
Brought back matrons to hospital wards.
Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.
Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.
Dads now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.
NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice.
Gift aid was worth £828 million to charities last year.
Restored city-wide government to London.
Record number of students in higher education.
Child benefit up 26 per cent since 1997.
Delivered 2,200 Sure Start Children’s Centres.
Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
£200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s.
On course to exceed our Kyoto target for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland.
Over 36,000 more teachers in England and 274,000 more support staff and teaching assistants.
All full time workers now have a right to 24 days paid holiday.
A million pensioners lifted out of poverty.
600,000 children lifted out of relative poverty.
Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.
Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships.
Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard.
Inpatient waiting lists down by over half a million since 1997.
Banned fox hunting.
Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since before the industrial revolution.
Free TV licences for over-75s.
Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals.
Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.
Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.
New Deal – helped over 1.8 million people into work.
Over 3 million child trust funds have been started.
Free eye test for over 60s.
More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.
Free entry to national museums and galleries.
Overseas aid budget more than doubled.
Heart disease deaths down by 150,000 and cancer deaths down by 50,000.
Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.
Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.
Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.

The 14 years since then have been a total disaster. People on here need to wake up. The rest of the country have.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 12:40 - Jun 21 with 299 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Yougov have released another more up to date poll which shows Labour dropping back to 36%.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 13:07 - Jun 21 with 284 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 12:40 - Jun 21 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Yougov have released another more up to date poll which shows Labour dropping back to 36%.

Using new methodology mirroring MRP methodology which is suspect at best.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 13:11 - Jun 21 with 274 viewsbuilthjack

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 12:40 - Jun 21 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Yet today's Ipsos Poll has Labour at 43%.
Con people at 23%.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 15:03 - Jun 21 with 218 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 13:11 - Jun 21 by builthjack

Yet today's Ipsos Poll has Labour at 43%.
Con people at 23%.

So if we take an average of the two polls it equates to 39.5% which is still slightly less than what Corbyn achieved in 2017.

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 15:31 - Jun 21 with 196 viewscontroversial_jack

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 15:03 - Jun 21 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

So if we take an average of the two polls it equates to 39.5% which is still slightly less than what Corbyn achieved in 2017.

No, the latest says 43%
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 15:56 - Jun 21 with 183 viewsSullutaCreturned

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 22:06 - Jun 20 by DJack

That long list of positives, as impressive as it looks, simply wasn't sustainavble though. Which was why Brown sold off gold cheap and started robbing pension funds, because they needed the money to pay for everything.
Then when the pot was empty, everything started to fall apart. Blair walked away with the country in a mess, Brown tried his hand but he was always in trouble. Then we saw Cameron come in, him and Osborneand their "austerity" programme because of the debt and deficit left by Labour. We know how that went too, another massive cock up.

The facts seem to show that Labour are now less popular than under Corbyn. Just last night Starmer said Corbyn would have been better than Johnson, well a stuffed courgette would have been better than clown prince Bojo but I'm still not sure Corbyn would have been better.
Why can't more people see that both Labour and Tory have been bad for the UK? Lat year Starmer claimed Welsh Labour was his blueprint for the UK, he refuses to repeat it now, been asked twice,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-67019443

We are faced with the best of a bad choice, just like it was when it was Bojo v Corbyn except now ot's not man v man, ot's party v party and while the tory's are so contemptuisly bad, Labour are now just the least worst choice.

We'll see how it goes, what the turnout is and how many vote for each party. My opinion, right or wrong, remains that it'll be a relatively low turnout and Labour will win a majority because Reform will split the tory vote.
What happens after that, well I'll hope for the best.
Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 17:27 - Jun 21 with 145 viewsonehunglow

Labour less popular now than under Corbyn? on 15:56 - Jun 21 by SullutaCreturned

That long list of positives, as impressive as it looks, simply wasn't sustainavble though. Which was why Brown sold off gold cheap and started robbing pension funds, because they needed the money to pay for everything.
Then when the pot was empty, everything started to fall apart. Blair walked away with the country in a mess, Brown tried his hand but he was always in trouble. Then we saw Cameron come in, him and Osborneand their "austerity" programme because of the debt and deficit left by Labour. We know how that went too, another massive cock up.

The facts seem to show that Labour are now less popular than under Corbyn. Just last night Starmer said Corbyn would have been better than Johnson, well a stuffed courgette would have been better than clown prince Bojo but I'm still not sure Corbyn would have been better.
Why can't more people see that both Labour and Tory have been bad for the UK? Lat year Starmer claimed Welsh Labour was his blueprint for the UK, he refuses to repeat it now, been asked twice,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-67019443

We are faced with the best of a bad choice, just like it was when it was Bojo v Corbyn except now ot's not man v man, ot's party v party and while the tory's are so contemptuisly bad, Labour are now just the least worst choice.

We'll see how it goes, what the turnout is and how many vote for each party. My opinion, right or wrong, remains that it'll be a relatively low turnout and Labour will win a majority because Reform will split the tory vote.
What happens after that, well I'll hope for the best.

For the first time in my life,I might abstain from voting at all.
I cannot see any compelling reason to vote for any of them.
I do worry Labour will blitz our green belt and authorise thousands of homes that will deface our countryside

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024