Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite films atm ? 13:19 - Sep 19 with 1603 viewsKeithHaynes

Just watched the ‘Ministry of ungentlemanly warfare’

If you haven’t you really have to. Based on how the SAS a became a good idea, gripping, especially the assault on the Germans.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Favourite films atm ? on 13:22 - Sep 19 with 1276 viewsblackpooljack

Is that the one where they play the Swans half way thru if not you've posted it in the wrong forum 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Favourite films atm ? on 13:27 - Sep 19 with 1258 viewsKeithHaynes

Favourite films atm ? on 13:22 - Sep 19 by blackpooljack

Is that the one where they play the Swans half way thru if not you've posted it in the wrong forum 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I do it to see if you are awake 😉

Favourite films atm ? on 13:27 - Sep 19 with 1234 viewsonehunglow

Thanks

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Favourite films atm ? on 13:31 - Sep 19 with 1245 viewsBoundy

Good film more boys own stuff than factual but very good in portraying just how inventive we Brits were .
Not sure if anyone's aware but the Mulberry harbour built during the D day landings to secure a supply route into the mainland France was first mooted as an idea by Churchill during the 1st world war , clever man Churchill and loved by many in the valleys.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Favourite films atm ? on 13:39 - Sep 19 with 1208 viewsonehunglow

Favourite films atm ? on 13:31 - Sep 19 by Boundy

Good film more boys own stuff than factual but very good in portraying just how inventive we Brits were .
Not sure if anyone's aware but the Mulberry harbour built during the D day landings to secure a supply route into the mainland France was first mooted as an idea by Churchill during the 1st world war , clever man Churchill and loved by many in the valleys.

Offten refered to as a war criminal

Favourite films atm ? on 15:32 - Sep 19 with 1191 viewsBoundy

Favourite films atm ? on 13:39 - Sep 19 by onehunglow

If the country had stick with Chamberlin we'd have been goose stepping now. A man of the time was Churchill .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Favourite films atm ? on 15:57 - Sep 19 with 1174 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Favourite films atm ? on 13:39 - Sep 19 by onehunglow

By thick people.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Favourite films atm ? on 17:33 - Sep 19 with 1134 viewsLuther27

Watched Apocalypse Now….the long version the other night. Well worth a watch.
At the other end of the spectrum is Watchmen the editors cut. Another circa 3 hr film which to me is total escapism after a crap day 😂

Blog: Grenfell Tower

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite films atm ? on 17:47 - Sep 19 with 1125 viewshowenjack

Talking of the War ..........

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-34660799

https://biography.wales/article/s8-BOWE-GEO-1911
Favourite films atm ? on 20:03 - Sep 19 with 1060 viewsSullutaCreturned

Favourite films atm ? on 13:31 - Sep 19 by Boundy

Churchill's idea was for temporary artificial harbours off 2 German islands but there was no idea what they'd look like because it was never followed up.

As for inventive, peole often forget about Operation Neptune and PLUTO, the "Pipeline under the ocean" that kept the D Day forces stocked with fuel.

Now Keith, this film, I hate it when so much is made up when the true story is so bloody incredible.

I've been tryin to dig up my grandfathers war records and some are still locked away which is its own story but I now know he was attached to the LRDG, probably in D Squadron, they were the road watchers but they also ferried the SAS guys around the desert.
He would have had some awesome stories but he never talked about the war from the monent he got home til his dying day.
he had a Burma star too so he also served in the far East.

I know it's off topic a bit but I reckon his story would make a smashing film.
Favourite films atm ? on 22:48 - Sep 19 with 1020 viewshowenjack

There was a book published fairly recently called rogue heroes . It dealt with the formation and establishment of SAS under D. Stirling and later Paddy Mayne.
Stirling was the man who got Churchill to finance this new secret behind the lines regiment . He was a very laid back guy who never fitted in to normal army life and in fact used this as a yardstick by which he admitted new recruits. People like Reg Seekings an ex boxer and tearaway . Paddy Mayne took over when Stirling was captured . Mayne was a larger than life character who possessed ice cool nerves and utmost bravery . Ministry of ungentlemanly conduct could well be attributed to him..... True story- Mayne and a group of SAS turned up at a Christmas party behind enemy lines in North Africa . He walked into the room which was full of Germans - it was an airfield officers' mess packed with people having a good time with lots of food and drink . He introduced himself and then stood there and unloaded a full magazine from his Tommy gun - total mayhem . He and his group turned and fled to their jeeps and escaped back to their base hounded all the way by irate Germans.
Favourite films atm ? on 18:11 - Sep 20 with 838 viewsSullutaCreturned

Favourite films atm ? on 22:48 - Sep 19 by howenjack

There was a book published fairly recently called rogue heroes . It dealt with the formation and establishment of SAS under D. Stirling and later Paddy Mayne.
Stirling was the man who got Churchill to finance this new secret behind the lines regiment . He was a very laid back guy who never fitted in to normal army life and in fact used this as a yardstick by which he admitted new recruits. People like Reg Seekings an ex boxer and tearaway . Paddy Mayne took over when Stirling was captured . Mayne was a larger than life character who possessed ice cool nerves and utmost bravery . Ministry of ungentlemanly conduct could well be attributed to him..... True story- Mayne and a group of SAS turned up at a Christmas party behind enemy lines in North Africa . He walked into the room which was full of Germans - it was an airfield officers' mess packed with people having a good time with lots of food and drink . He introduced himself and then stood there and unloaded a full magazine from his Tommy gun - total mayhem . He and his group turned and fled to their jeeps and escaped back to their base hounded all the way by irate Germans.

There is a person often left out who had a very big effect on the SAS, he was written out of the story by his own brother, that person being Bill Stirling.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/bill-stirling-the-brains-behind-the-wartime-

David Stirling was brave, adventurous and entirely disorganised. Missions failed because David was poor with logistics.

When David approached Paddy Mayne about writing a book, Paddy wanted nothing to do with it.
Favourite films atm ? on 18:49 - Sep 20 with 828 viewsKeithHaynes

Favourite films atm ? on 20:03 - Sep 19 by SullutaCreturned

Churchill's idea was for temporary artificial harbours off 2 German islands but there was no idea what they'd look like because it was never followed up.

As for inventive, peole often forget about Operation Neptune and PLUTO, the "Pipeline under the ocean" that kept the D Day forces stocked with fuel.

Now Keith, this film, I hate it when so much is made up when the true story is so bloody incredible.

I've been tryin to dig up my grandfathers war records and some are still locked away which is its own story but I now know he was attached to the LRDG, probably in D Squadron, they were the road watchers but they also ferried the SAS guys around the desert.
He would have had some awesome stories but he never talked about the war from the monent he got home til his dying day.
he had a Burma star too so he also served in the far East.

I know it's off topic a bit but I reckon his story would make a smashing film.

So much made up, only those that know and were there would know. It’s a great film, based on fact.

How factual ?

Chill out and have two hours of proper stuff 👍

So, favourite films atm ?

Favourite films atm ? on 20:24 - Sep 20 with 772 viewsAnotherJohn

Favourite films atm ? on 18:49 - Sep 20 by KeithHaynes

So much made up, only those that know and were there would know. It’s a great film, based on fact.

How factual ?

Chill out and have two hours of proper stuff 👍

So, favourite films atm ?

Just watched Keith's pick on Prime., and enjoyed the film. The leading lady's performance prompted me to look up Marjorie Stewart, the real life SOE operative. However, it seems that she actually played only an administrative support role rather than being a field agent. She wasn't quite as glamorous as Eiza Gonzalez either, although she had a successful singing and acting career. The sad thing was that Marjorie married Gus soon after Operation Postmaster, but he was killed within a year.
Favourite films atm ? on 20:27 - Sep 20 with 753 viewsonehunglow

Favourite films atm ? on 20:24 - Sep 20 by AnotherJohn

Just watched Keith's pick on Prime., and enjoyed the film. The leading lady's performance prompted me to look up Marjorie Stewart, the real life SOE operative. However, it seems that she actually played only an administrative support role rather than being a field agent. She wasn't quite as glamorous as Eiza Gonzalez either, although she had a successful singing and acting career. The sad thing was that Marjorie married Gus soon after Operation Postmaster, but he was killed within a year.

I will check it out when have a chance .

Favourite films atm ? on 21:03 - Sep 20 with 734 viewsSullutaCreturned

Favourite films atm ? on 20:27 - Sep 20 by onehunglow

I will check it out when have a chance .

If you treat it purely as entertainment, a bit of fun, it's ok
Favourite films atm ? on 21:32 - Sep 20 with 727 viewsKeithHaynes

Favourite films atm ? on 21:03 - Sep 20 by SullutaCreturned

If you treat it purely as entertainment, a bit of fun, it's ok

It’s based on history mun !

Favourite films atm ? on 01:08 - Sep 21 with 675 viewshowenjack

Talking of SOE agents there was one who used to stay with her relatives who lived in Wormelow a village near Hereford. She used to stay with them when not away on missions. Her name was Violette Szabo a fluent French speaker who was dropped into France just before D Day . She got into a firefight with members of an SS division was captured and ended up being executed just before the end of the war .
A beautiful brave woman - the house she stayed in , Cartref I think it is called is or was
a museum in her memory ( Dont know if its still open to the public) There was a B @ W feature film made about her in the 1950's it was called " Carve her name with pride ".

The museum is open on Wednesdays ......
https://www.violette-szabo-museum.co.uk/foyer.htm#museumInfo1
[Post edited 21 Sep 22:01]
Favourite films atm ? on 21:59 - Sep 21 with 552 viewsSullutaCreturned

Favourite films atm ? on 21:32 - Sep 20 by KeithHaynes

It’s based on history mun !

Yeah and so were Braveheart, U-571, JFK, Shakespeare in love,

https://screenrant.com/most-inaccurate-movies-history/

based on lies more than history!!!
Favourite films atm ? on 22:52 - Sep 21 with 515 viewsTreforys_Jack

Visited Gus's grave recently, killed on a mission in Normandy. Marked with a UJ, got a photo but have no idea how to post them on here.
Favourite films atm ? on 00:41 - Sep 22 with 485 viewsRobbie

Silence of the Lambs , often repeated on late night tele film channels , but a must watch .
Some real cannot watch moments 30 years later from release , and I know the scenes .
Hannibal and all spin off were just gore festivals based on that films success .

Still enjoy my nonsense , disengage brain for a few hours entertainment , Die Hard etc .
CGI and green screen has taken movie making to a new level for my genre of films .

Bringing out Top Gun and Beverly Hill Cop in various remakes shows the 80s had the ideas and best theme music to go with the plot .

Emily Blunt is awesome in A Quiet Place , last time I went to the cinema , still a must see .
Favourite films atm ? on 01:09 - Sep 22 with 473 viewsKeithHaynes

Favourite films atm ? on 22:52 - Sep 21 by Treforys_Jack

Visited Gus's grave recently, killed on a mission in Normandy. Marked with a UJ, got a photo but have no idea how to post them on here.

👏🙏

Favourite films atm ? on 13:33 - Sep 22 with 395 viewsTreforys_Jack

And there was a photo of him on a lamp post as 1 of Normandy's liberators. Again , got a photo of that as well. There is a theory among some historians that, Gus March Phillips was also an author of short stories that a certain Ian Fleming got hold of after his demise.
Favourite films atm ? on 13:45 - Sep 22 with 387 viewsmax936

New Series of Celebrity SAS Who Dares Wins starts tonight at 9pm on Channel 4, its usually a decent watch.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Favourite films atm ? on 16:45 - Sep 22 with 365 viewsAnotherJohn

Favourite films atm ? on 22:52 - Sep 21 by Treforys_Jack

Not so easy to post a picture here because I think it need to be put on a website, Wiki has one already, but probably not as good as your's.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024