Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thatcher dead 12:56 - Apr 8 with 88583 viewssix_foot_two

Skynews are are saying Magaret Thatcher has died of a stroke
Thatcher dead on 15:31 - Apr 8 with 2068 viewsElHoop

Thatcher dead on 15:29 - Apr 8 by finney

I am interested to know why you tar a whole country as stupid

I never said that. Far from stupid in most respects. That's the sad thing.
Thatcher dead on 15:31 - Apr 8 with 2064 viewshighlandbill

Thatcher dead on 15:04 - Apr 8 by RS44

Behave you pr1ck.

Let me get this right then.... A British territory gets invaded, and she should have done what exactly??? Just sat back and done nothing?

I suppose she should have taken a leaf out of Tony Bliars book and invaded a country that had naff all to do with us solely to suck up to the septics and to help controll oil?

You are clearly one of 2 things. Very un-educated, or just a complete d1ck, and I'm going to opt for the latter.

You say about it killed loads of soldiers, but I can guarantee you here and now,the soldiers that were involved in the Falklands felt they were fighting for something they were trained to do. They were fighting to liberate a British territory and British people against a foreign invader. They did NOT go to their graves defending a country that had absolutely no connection with our country. A country that still does not want our troops there. A country that for whatever way you look at it, is still in no better shape.

Our boys that died in the Falkland died defending and liberating their own. They did not die because of Mr Bliar and Mr Bush's illegal invasion of a Independant nation.

You should hang your head in shame.

Oh Dear. Our Boys bollocks! Are you related to Ghengis?

At my age I should not be doing this!

Thatcher dead on 15:32 - Apr 8 with 2052 viewsBedford_R

Thatcher dead on 14:58 - Apr 8 by stowmarketrange

And how many people have died due to her vindictive policies?
How many working were thrown on the scrapheap because their jobs were expendable in the great plans she had for the country?
Where are the jobs for ordinary working people now?
You can either work in a call centre or a charity shop.
F--k her.let her rot in hell.

+1

RMH_R Reborn

Thatcher dead on 15:32 - Apr 8 with 2052 viewsDieByYourSide

This board is really right wing.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Thatcher dead on 15:33 - Apr 8 with 2046 viewsfinney

Thatcher dead on 15:29 - Apr 8 by ElHoop

Why call it GB and Northern Ireland if it's all GB? GB & NI is the UK.

It's like arse and elbow, they're actually different.

it is spitting hairs if you ask me when they called the PM the PM of GB they still had power over Norn Iron without inc NI with the GB tag back in the day.
Thatcher dead on 15:34 - Apr 8 with 2034 viewsfinney

Thatcher dead on 15:31 - Apr 8 by ElHoop

well that is the inference i got have you met everyone from NI to think they are indeed mad?
Thatcher dead on 15:34 - Apr 8 with 2028 viewssmegma

Thatcher dead on 14:47 - Apr 8 by Aunt_Nelly

"When the IRA were regularly bombing London she didn't make hundreds of ludicrous anti-terror laws even when they tried to blow her up as well. She just stood up and said that we're not going to let them win and carried on with business as usual. Imagine what Blair would have done in that situation."
-------------------------------------------

Talking tough about standing firm to the IRA when really she was involved in secret negotiations with them. No wonder they took the piss and at every opportunity tried to blow us up.

I have no love for Blair but it was his lot who secured peace with the IRA

Peace talks with the IRA began under John Majors Government though. There was the infamous quote from him of 'the thought of talking to the IRA makes my skin crawl'. Then 3 months or so down the line it was leaked that indeed the govt was in fact in direct talks with IRA/Sinn Fein.

Anyone know of a good clock mender ?
Thatcher dead on 15:35 - Apr 8 with 2017 viewsthame_hoops

I think this is now my favourite thread ever. Actually, Maybe 2nd to the brizzle POP thread
Login to get fewer ads

Thatcher dead on 15:37 - Apr 8 with 2004 viewskarlski

We can never know the answer, but it's worth asking the question what state this country would have been in then, and now, if she hadn't come to power...

People mention growing up with her and remembering rubbish piled high, strikes and so on - you think those things would have gone away under a different leader?

I'd place myself centre left these days but you have to recognise what she did at the time she did it was for the long-term benefit of the country as a whole (while also recognising the harm this would do to certain communities - there's no denying a lot of people have a genuine reason to hate her). The way things went subsequently under the inept leadership of both left and right has not a lot to do with her...

It's a debate with two very well defined sides and no right answers I think, just opinions.

First female Prime Minister and a memorable one at that - aside from everything else, that is a remarkable achievement and should be the focal point at least for a few days as her family mourns.
Thatcher dead on 15:37 - Apr 8 with 2002 viewsfinney

Thatcher dead on 15:34 - Apr 8 by smegma

Peace talks with the IRA began under John Majors Government though. There was the infamous quote from him of 'the thought of talking to the IRA makes my skin crawl'. Then 3 months or so down the line it was leaked that indeed the govt was in fact in direct talks with IRA/Sinn Fein.

Thatcher sent her people over many times to talk to the IRA and even at the height of the Hunger strikes as well.
It was in the TV program's the troubles which also showed many things that made all our flesh crawl.
Odd thing and most stupid was the words of Adams via an actor never got that one
Thatcher dead on 15:39 - Apr 8 with 1987 viewsTacticalR

Thatcher dead on 15:34 - Apr 8 by smegma

Margaret Thatcher gave her personal approval to secret talks between government officials and the IRA leadership in 1990, setting in a train a dialogue which led to the Northern Ireland peace process which she now regularly denounces.
In one of her final acts before she was deposed as prime minister, Lady Thatcher allowed her Northern Ireland secretary, Peter Brooke, to talk to republicans through a secret "back channel" after MI5 advised the government that the IRA was looking at ways of ending its terrorist campaign.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/1999/oct/16/northernireland.thatcher

Air hostess clique

Thatcher dead on 15:41 - Apr 8 with 1967 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thatcher dead on 15:31 - Apr 8 by ElHoop

El, you said the place was annoying and the people were mad, which is fairly insulting in my opinion.

Northern Ireland's problems stem from the British Government's mismanagement and abandonment, from the forced plantations which created social, religious and cultural imbalance and inequality up until fairly recently when they declared that the North was finally free to decide its own destiny.

Abandoned as they were, the people of the North had many problems and have done remarkably well to solve as many as they have and to put themselves on a path towards sustained peace.

Like many others I don't believe that the North is part of either GB or the UK, but a part of Ireland. But if that doesn't happen in my lifetime I will still be full of admiration for its people that they succeeded in bringing peace and reconciliation while those that pretended to rule or represent them abandoned them.

Maith sibh, Finney boy.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Thatcher dead on 15:42 - Apr 8 with 1963 viewsted_hendrix

Thatcher dead on 13:33 - Apr 8 by NorthLondonR

I read this as Thatcher died as a result of a strike....

LOFL, That´s the funniest thing I´ve read in yonks.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Thatcher dead on 15:42 - Apr 8 with 1956 viewsstowmarketrange

Thatcher dead on 15:39 - Apr 8 by TacticalR

Margaret Thatcher gave her personal approval to secret talks between government officials and the IRA leadership in 1990, setting in a train a dialogue which led to the Northern Ireland peace process which she now regularly denounces.
In one of her final acts before she was deposed as prime minister, Lady Thatcher allowed her Northern Ireland secretary, Peter Brooke, to talk to republicans through a secret "back channel" after MI5 advised the government that the IRA was looking at ways of ending its terrorist campaign.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/1999/oct/16/northernireland.thatcher

Surely not a U-turn by the lady who is not for turning.
Thatcher dead on 15:44 - Apr 8 with 2253 viewskarlski

We can never know the answer, but it's worth asking the question what state this country would have been in then, and now, if she hadn't come to power...

People mention growing up with her and remembering rubbish piled high, strikes and so on - you think those things would have gone away under a different leader?

I'd place myself centre left these days but you have to recognise what she did at the time she did it was for the long-term benefit of the country as a whole (while also recognising the harm this would do to certain communities - there's no denying a lot of people have a genuine reason to hate her). The way things went subsequently under the inept leadership of both left and right has not a lot to do with her...

It's a debate with two very well defined sides and no right answers I think, just opinions.

First female Prime Minister and a memorable one at that - aside from everything else, that is a remarkable achievement and should be the focal point at least for a few days as her family mourns.
Thatcher dead on 15:44 - Apr 8 with 2253 viewsQPR1882

Thatcher dead on 15:24 - Apr 8 by Juzzie

Oi! Enough with the insults OK. I've given my opinions which I'm entitled too, right or wrong, in a reasonable manner. I've not resorted to insults and yet you accuse me of being uneducated, take a look in the mirror.

I grew up through her regime (I was 15 when the Falklands war started) so just about remember all the stuff about milk snatching, dustmens strike (rotten rubbish piling up everywhere), miners strike, Leyland strike, firemans strikes and the green godesses, power cuts etc etc.

Yet your response is completely military-based (by the way, I support "our boys" OK). Why bring a military angle into a politcal debate?

Let me guess, your served in the military, yes?

Where did I ever say the soliders were wrong. WHERE? They do a job unconditionally and I think what they do is magnificant under sometimes bizzare orders from politicians who have no military training whatsoever.
You say the soldiers were happy to do their job and defend the islands. If that's the case, I don't see the point of your rant.

You're the one who should hang your head in shame clearly jumping to conclusions that you have no basis on.

edit: when I said about the killing of soldiers, how do you know I was talking just about the British Armed forces? You just jumped to conclusions.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

I grew up through her regime (I was 15 when the Falklands war started) so just about remember all the stuff about milk snatching, dustmens strike (rotten rubbish piling up everywhere), miners strike, Leyland strike, power cuts etc etc.

STRIKES,STRIKES,STRIKES

Unions were running this country and they never liked it when someone at last stood up to them , she was the death of union power in this country,and people think that is a bad thing ?

She is probably the last leader that put this country 1st.

Still i guess there is a lot of people that will want a beer or 2 tonight,well you can all go down the local tonight and drink your Eastern European beer in a town full of Eastern Europeans and complain about all the Eastern Europeans coming over here.

oh for a strong leader for this country......................
Thatcher dead on 15:45 - Apr 8 with 2241 viewsWestminsteRs

Thatcher dead on 13:05 - Apr 8 by Juzzie

Amongst other things, created the house buying obsession that pushed prices up way beyond what they are actually worth. I don't see countries around the rest of Europe having the high property prices we do.

Also went into war in order to save her own politcial neck. As well as costing millions and millions, it killed loads of soldiers and to this day the relationship with Argentina hasn't fully healed when it was pretty much OK beforehand.

She won't be missed by me.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

That obsession always exist. Through the Right to Buy she made it possible for more people to realise their dream of home ownership.
Thatcher dead on 15:45 - Apr 8 with 2223 viewsSpiritofGregory

Thatcher dead on 15:32 - Apr 8 by DieByYourSide

This board is really right wing.

and?

Sometimes this board is left wing. Makes me laugh at the shock horror on this board when it's noted that not all QPR fans vote Labour. It's called living in a democracy.
Thatcher dead on 15:47 - Apr 8 with 2221 viewsRed_Ranger

rejoice!,rejoice!
Thatcher dead on 15:51 - Apr 8 with 2193 viewsTGRRRSSS

Of course the people runing the unions were doing well either way, Scargill was quite happy in his grace and favour London flat which he thought the working men ought to pay for.

That bieng said the lack of jobs and free market economy where many companies in certain jobs - mainly low paid, fgactories etc do emply foreign workers so they are not only cheaper but can be abused in a way locals wouldn't takle.
The people calling the shots and allowing huge migration can then say they do jobs "locals do not want to do"
INetrestoing way of looking at it.
However free market was something Thatcher approved, but she seemed to be against EU as we understabnd it today.
Thatcher dead on 15:51 - Apr 8 with 2193 viewsAunt_Nelly

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

Cameron and the Falklands would be fcked because his dismantling of our armed forces now mean that if the airfields on the Falklands are captured we no longer have the military capability of taking the islands back.

Thatcher dead on 15:52 - Apr 8 with 2184 viewsfinney

Thatcher dead on 15:41 - Apr 8 by BrianMcCarthy

El, you said the place was annoying and the people were mad, which is fairly insulting in my opinion.

Northern Ireland's problems stem from the British Government's mismanagement and abandonment, from the forced plantations which created social, religious and cultural imbalance and inequality up until fairly recently when they declared that the North was finally free to decide its own destiny.

Abandoned as they were, the people of the North had many problems and have done remarkably well to solve as many as they have and to put themselves on a path towards sustained peace.

Like many others I don't believe that the North is part of either GB or the UK, but a part of Ireland. But if that doesn't happen in my lifetime I will still be full of admiration for its people that they succeeded in bringing peace and reconciliation while those that pretended to rule or represent them abandoned them.

Maith sibh, Finney boy.

Brian we can go back many hundreads of years and the blame for what went on in Northern Ireland or Ireland for that matter,
And many of us inc me and i was born there would be none the wiser i have always said as long as people talk and the guns are away that is a path made to real peace.
But with that peace you need an understanding of each other and the fact it is not a green or orange issue but one of fear and culture loss for many as well.

Most i know are in what we call mixed homes they are the silent people who go to work every day bring up their wee ones but yet no one talks about them as they are not the ones pushing hate,but the ones who are showing we have moved on the peace process is working.
The graveyards less busy thank god.

And all the mask men do now is see who sells their drugs for them.

For what it is worth i think that a joint Ireland should be done to the people from Northern Ireland but i also think at this time the south need to sort out their own economic issues first.
But also the fact is respect is the only way real peace will happen and i say that as a prod on the left of things.
Thatcher dead on 15:52 - Apr 8 with 2181 viewsstevec

Thatcher dead on 14:54 - Apr 8 by TacticalR

I probably don't have an answer that satisfies you.

Perhaps it's a feature of the decline of Britain that it is no more able to produce useful Prime Ministers than it is able to produce useful commodities. Prime Ministers tend to be men for their times. Wilson was a chameleon because he was managing a party that held completely conflicting viewpoints about what was possible for capitalism. At the time he was Prime Minister the illusion that capitalism could be 'managed' and was no longer subject to economic crisis was widespread. As the 1970s progressed that illusion was shattered.

The actions of Thatcher arose from that context, the context of economic crisis which had destroyed the consensus in British politics. To return to today, I think the difficulty for the post-Thatcherites is that their actions are seen as solely destructive. These are men without ideas. In Thatcher's time the pain of destruction was supposed to be followed by the gain brought about by deregulation and financial services. Now it seems the cure of financial services has become the disease, and our men without ideas only seem to offer pain. And as Thatcher destroyed all the 'enemies within', who is there left to blame?

I take your points and they are well put, but you don't take into account the position Thatcher found herself in. The Unions were tearing this country apart during the 70's, black outs, strikes, were financially crippling us. She took them on as the public wanted them stopped. Sadly, miners leaders opted for a do or die strategy, which resulted in a total wipeout of a great industry as it became the only way to stop them. If their leaders had been willing to compromise I suspect mining would still be an industry in this country (the vested interests of the greens have had a significant influence in the demise of this industry, but that seems to have gone unnoticed).

The housing boom and its effects stimulated the economy and was the driving force behind the revival in the 80's. Thatcher insisted that lenders stuck to strict lending rules which made the rises manageable. The real problems began when Blair/Brown lifted all lending restrictions, in 97 handing the keys to the economy over to the banks, which allowed banks to lend ridiculous multiples to income and more often than not, irrespective of income. As ever, Thatcher may have put the wheels in motion, but others were responsible for taking the brakes off.

Thatcher dead on 15:52 - Apr 8 with 2173 viewsSpiritofGregory

Thatcher dead on 15:47 - Apr 8 by Red_Ranger

rejoice!,rejoice!

Why rejoice, the woman was in her 80s, it's not as if she was going to make a return to politics? Just think, you can now enjoy hours of fun by tuning in to witness her state funeral and also watch countless debates and documentaries on Maggie...
Thatcher dead on 15:53 - Apr 8 with 2174 viewsfinney

Thatcher dead on 15:51 - Apr 8 by Aunt_Nelly

Cameron and the Falklands would be fcked because his dismantling of our armed forces now mean that if the airfields on the Falklands are captured we no longer have the military capability of taking the islands back.

Now that is a home run
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024