Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashley Grimes 10:40 - Jun 23 with 6628 viewsR442D

What did we really think of him?

For me: Too big for his boots, feisty attitude, but a good player.

Needs to find a football home, where they can knock the ego out and still give him time on the pitch.
Ashley Grimes on 11:03 - Jun 23 with 5440 viewsSuddenLad

In the main: Unreliable, lazy, poor work ethic, not a 'team player', not as good as HE thinks he is, poor attitude and generally not worth a place in the team. Spends too much time sulking.

Very occasionally (but not anywhere near often enough): showed true ability, could score from a 'nothing' situation, had a great eye for goal, a talent for ghosting past a defender - but didn't do any of the positive things regularly enough.

I hope someone out there can make him see what he COULD be, but it has to come from him.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Ashley Grimes on 11:16 - Jun 23 with 5394 viewsColDale

Ashley Grimes on 11:03 - Jun 23 by SuddenLad

In the main: Unreliable, lazy, poor work ethic, not a 'team player', not as good as HE thinks he is, poor attitude and generally not worth a place in the team. Spends too much time sulking.

Very occasionally (but not anywhere near often enough): showed true ability, could score from a 'nothing' situation, had a great eye for goal, a talent for ghosting past a defender - but didn't do any of the positive things regularly enough.

I hope someone out there can make him see what he COULD be, but it has to come from him.

you can add petulant and volatile to that list
Ashley Grimes on 11:29 - Jun 23 with 5363 viewsYouTubeDale

Undoubted talent. He needs to sort his life out and I am sure it will reflect well on the pitch. Hoping our Ashley does well for the future...and some more spectacular goals...

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Ashley Grimes on 11:47 - Jun 23 with 5329 viewsSalwaDale

If he stops believing he is brilliant, he actually might find out that he can be.

TBBT

Ashley Grimes on 12:07 - Jun 23 with 5283 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Never got over being released by City.

Believes the world owes him a living.

Will end up with career stats of 275 (ish) games with a 1 goal every 4 games record and think 'what might have been'.

I hope he finds happiness starts to enjoy his football, because the lad has talent, but his time at Dale has put him up there with Mark Leonard and Steve Doyle as my 3 most hated Dale players (and I dont hate many).

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Ashley Grimes on 12:10 - Jun 23 with 5275 viewsdilligas

Waiting for the od love in on grimes

For me the talents there but He was a 1 good game in 4 player, not consistent enough
Ashley Grimes on 12:42 - Jun 23 with 5210 viewsfirgrovedale51

Bollocks best football brain at the club
Ashley Grimes on 12:47 - Jun 23 with 5196 viewsfirgrovedale51

Grimes needs to be kept involved when he was played wide he did not see enough of the ball but when played in the middle he is excellent .
I think hill could have made him even better.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashley Grimes on 12:52 - Jun 23 with 5188 viewsAtThePeake

If we'd played 4-4-2 with a big man up front and played Grimes in every game, he'd have been happy and scored 20+ goals a season with us.

Unfortunately, he just didn't fit in. Not sure where he's going to go now, but wherever he does go, I think he'll score goals. Talent is there, he just needs to be playing in the right system for the attitude to improve.

Tangled up in blue.

Ashley Grimes on 13:32 - Jun 23 with 5107 viewsSuddenLad

Ashley Grimes on 12:42 - Jun 23 by firgrovedale51

And Joe Thompson will be in the next England Squad.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Ashley Grimes on 13:41 - Jun 23 with 5091 viewsolympicdale

Ashley Grimes on 12:10 - Jun 23 by dilligas

Waiting for the od love in on grimes

For me the talents there but He was a 1 good game in 4 player, not consistent enough

I'd of put small amounts of cash on mr sweetcorn mentioning me first here.

He was a player that was very intelligent with his movement off the ball, next to Kennedy was our most technically gifted player, but he never felt he had to do too much during a match. I hope he makes a right go of his next team, but you have to wonder that if Hill felt he couldn't get the best out of him, who else in this league could.

Life is a game of fate.

Ashley Grimes on 14:20 - Jun 23 with 5019 viewsRotherhamDale

Talented, when he could be arsed.

Possession with progression.

Ashley Grimes on 14:22 - Jun 23 with 5012 views442Dale

Wouldn't disagree with that but what he failed to appreciate was that there are too few who share that ability to see situations before they develop. He'd look for a killer ball when the player he was playing it too hadn't even seen the space, and then the problems began with the strops and poor body language. He couldn't and wouldn't adapt his game accordingly. If he had he'd still be here.

A Premier League brain with a Sunday morning player's attitude.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ashley Grimes on 14:35 - Jun 23 with 4990 viewsSaxonDale

The complete opposite of Donnelly.
Ashley Grimes on 14:39 - Jun 23 with 4984 viewsBigDaveMyCock

How come we didn't retain this football genius then? That Keith Hill doesn't know what he's doing does he?

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Ashley Grimes on 14:46 - Jun 23 with 4955 viewsolympicdale

Ashley Grimes on 14:22 - Jun 23 by 442Dale

Wouldn't disagree with that but what he failed to appreciate was that there are too few who share that ability to see situations before they develop. He'd look for a killer ball when the player he was playing it too hadn't even seen the space, and then the problems began with the strops and poor body language. He couldn't and wouldn't adapt his game accordingly. If he had he'd still be here.

A Premier League brain with a Sunday morning player's attitude.

That pretty much sums him up, he grew ever frustrated that his team mates were not on the same wavelength as him, it was interesting watching his off the ball runs, he would do well in a top l1 side where they would see the space better.

Life is a game of fate.

Ashley Grimes on 14:47 - Jun 23 with 4953 viewsdale1996

it really does astound me that people are still backing grimes. He'll always be the same, he won't change and he certainly won't become a top class striker despite his undoubted potential. he's a broken toy even Hill can't fix. yes he can finish, and yes he can pick out a pass very very well and yes maybe he has a lot of talent. but what really gets me is when people say he has a footballing brain... In fact I think he has the opposite. football is a team game and grimes has a complete inability to work within a team. He reminds me of (although to a far lesser extent) Balotelli, he's mental traites seem to be very similar and I don't think he'll ever be able to change to the point where he can become a great player. Having said all that, I do think he's actually very low on confidence despite what people say.. I'm sure he probably had aspirations of playing for Leicester or at a far higher level and yet he's never made it. I reckon he has a sort of 'the whole worlds against me' mentality and that's is fundamentally what's holding him back. I don't think he'll ever be able to loose that mentality and as a result I think he'll remain an average player in a lower league team
Ashley Grimes on 15:17 - Jun 23 with 4896 viewsYorkshire_Dale

My final words on Ashley Grimes.......I would rather have Ashley Eastham.
Ashley Grimes on 15:30 - Jun 23 with 4871 viewsolympicdale

Ashley Grimes on 11:29 - Jun 23 by YouTubeDale

Undoubted talent. He needs to sort his life out and I am sure it will reflect well on the pitch. Hoping our Ashley does well for the future...and some more spectacular goals...

If anyone other than Grimes had scored that final goal on that clip we'd be talking about it for many years, wonderful skill.

Life is a game of fate.

Ashley Grimes on 15:48 - Jun 23 with 4836 views442Dale

Ashley Grimes on 14:46 - Jun 23 by olympicdale

That pretty much sums him up, he grew ever frustrated that his team mates were not on the same wavelength as him, it was interesting watching his off the ball runs, he would do well in a top l1 side where they would see the space better.

But better sides wouldn't put up with the way he played either. Keith Hill acknowledged his ability by playing him regularly during our good run, but presumably Oxford away, but Grimes didn't do enough. Even with the better players there has to be an understanding of other's limitations.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ashley Grimes on 16:12 - Jun 23 with 4797 viewsolympicdale

Ashley Grimes on 15:48 - Jun 23 by 442Dale

But better sides wouldn't put up with the way he played either. Keith Hill acknowledged his ability by playing him regularly during our good run, but presumably Oxford away, but Grimes didn't do enough. Even with the better players there has to be an understanding of other's limitations.

It is often the case of players who have been released from bigger clubs, they, in their youth were used to playing with much better technically gifted team mates, and struggle to adapt to life in the lower leagues. I think his body language was often of "I'm too good for l2", I think he would look at l1 as about his level, and put in a team that played it on the ground and would make the chances for him, I think he would do well.

Life is a game of fate.

Ashley Grimes on 16:12 - Jun 23 with 4796 viewsYouTubeDale

Perhaps this is more suitable to the Grimes haters...

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Ashley Grimes on 20:57 - Jun 23 with 4593 viewsfirgrovedale51

Ashley Grimes on 12:52 - Jun 23 by AtThePeake

If we'd played 4-4-2 with a big man up front and played Grimes in every game, he'd have been happy and scored 20+ goals a season with us.

Unfortunately, he just didn't fit in. Not sure where he's going to go now, but wherever he does go, I think he'll score goals. Talent is there, he just needs to be playing in the right system for the attitude to improve.

Good summary
Ashley Grimes on 20:57 - Jun 23 with 4587 viewsfirgrovedale51

Ashley Grimes on 13:32 - Jun 23 by SuddenLad

And Joe Thompson will be in the next England Squad.

I can imagine you thinking that
Ashley Grimes on 21:03 - Jun 23 with 4578 viewsolympicdale

Ashley Grimes on 12:52 - Jun 23 by AtThePeake

That is the only thing with Grimes, I agree that in a front two he would be likely to bag a hat full, but he is too rigid in adapting to whatever position he's asked to play in.

Life is a game of fate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024