Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Syria 08:39 - Aug 26 with 10661 viewsGloucs_R

What is everyones views? Personally, I dont think we should get involved. Let the Arab states and other muslim countries sort it out. We keep doing others work and this time I think there will be massive repercussions should we go into Syria. Leave them to it. As horrific as it is (chemical weapons) for once I think we need to let others deal with it.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Syria on 17:10 - Aug 26 with 2319 viewsHollowayRanger

Syria on 15:47 - Aug 26 by swisscottage

Its an idea I suppose.

However when petrol starts rising at an astronomical rate and the western economies go completely to pooh, with unemployment at 40%, and continuous civil unrest in the UK what will you say then?

To border ourselves off, and look inward, without taking stock of the wider picture is naive at best.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2013 15:48]

im not saying dont let anyone in just dont let everyone in with knowing who the hell they are and why they are here

as for petrol i dont drive i walk everywhere or take the tube

as for open door policy thats what we have now isnt it 70million and rising when exactly do we start sinking ?

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Syria on 17:14 - Aug 26 with 2317 viewsbaz_qpr

Should not touch this with a bargepole, any war with Syria leads onto Iran and with the russians opposed this is somewhere we really dont want to go. We cannot go being the worlds arms salesman and then the policeman when some nutters decide to use those arms
Syria on 17:28 - Aug 26 with 2304 viewsHollowayRanger

Syria on 17:14 - Aug 26 by baz_qpr

Should not touch this with a bargepole, any war with Syria leads onto Iran and with the russians opposed this is somewhere we really dont want to go. We cannot go being the worlds arms salesman and then the policeman when some nutters decide to use those arms

agree time we stopped trying to save the world those days are long gone

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

(No subject) on 17:38 - Aug 26 with 2300 viewsjamois

These things do not occur by accident, they occur by design. And these weapons sit in the clutches of crazed dictators typically through the U.S. or our very own BAE Systems placing them there. One can argue that we should stay out of it, but the problem is we're already in it, we've been trying to play God in the middle east for 2 centuries.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2013 17:50]

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Syria on 21:08 - Aug 26 with 2242 viewsCanadaRanger

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/26/kerrys-syria-presse

Quote: "Russian officials stated earlier Monday that they didn’t believe any attack had occurred, which is consistent with their long-standing support for Assad. Kerry said, in clear reference to this, “Anyone who could claim that an attack of this staggering scale could be contrived or fabricated needs to check their conscience and their own moral compass.” "
Syria on 22:18 - Aug 26 with 2204 viewsjamois

Pot, kettle? They all lost their compasses many moons ago...

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Syria on 23:15 - Aug 26 with 2174 viewsbatmanhoop

left wing or right wing, enough is enough, keep our noses out of this
Syria on 23:15 - Aug 26 with 2173 viewsWanderR

The time to act was at over a year ago. NATO air strikes against government targets when the rebels had the upper hand militarily would have finished Assad off in short order. Problem was, and continues to be, that the Chinese and the Russians in particular are still furious with the West over Libya. They backed air strikes against Gaddafi's forces strictly as a measure to minimise civilian losses. Next thing you know Gaddafi's out and it's another Middle Eastern regime change care of the US and its allies. They're still furious and are using Syria to make a political point - that the West alone will not dictate the balance of power in the Middle East.

Since then the rebels who, despite the Free Syrian Army tag, have never really presented an united front are now splintered into a dozen different major factions with different motives and foreign backers and have gone from the nominal good guys to just-as-bad-as-anyone-else-guys.

Syria as a recognisable country is now beyond saving. Its infrastructure has been destroyed, war is being waged along increasingly sectarian lines with any sense of common citizenship or bond outside religious or ethnic groups is gone. Lebanon has got involved via Hezbollah supporting Assad, Iraq is still a basket case, Egypt is rapidly heading that way and both Israel and Iran have itchy trigger fingers. Any intervention now, regardless of a UN mandate, is likely to ignite the tinderbox.

There's nothing they can do and the politicians know it. Lots of tough sound-bites over the last two years - Obama's 'red line' for instance - are now coming back to haunt them. The wait-and-see game will continue for some time to come.

Current location: OX10

Login to get fewer ads

Syria on 23:22 - Aug 26 with 2170 viewssix_foot_two

Best post on this so far.
Syria on 23:38 - Aug 26 with 2159 viewsGloryHunter

There's nothing we can do. Britain is a minnow in life's pond. Any western (ie US) involvement will end up in a stand-off with Russia.
Syria on 23:44 - Aug 26 with 2156 viewsGloryHunter

Syria on 10:43 - Aug 26 by exiled_dictator

Iran is backing Assad.
The Gulf States are against Assad.
Assad is against The Muslim Brotherhood.
The Muslim Brotherhood & President Obama are against General Sisi.
But, The Gulf States are pro-Sisi.
Which means they are against The Muslim Brotherhood.
Iran is pro-Hamas, but Hamas is backing The Muslim Brotherhood.
Obama is backing The Muslim Brotherhood, yet Hamas is against The United States.
The Gulf States are pro-US.
But Turkey is with The Gulf States against Assad.
Yet Turkey is pro-The Muslim Brotherhood against General Sisi.
And General Sisi is being backed by The Gulf States.
The Soviet Union is pro-Assad.
The Soviets need Assad as he provides them with their only Mediterranean naval port.

In Arab culture, your enemies enemy is your friend.
But in this scenario, your enemies enemy is your enemy.
And your enemy is your friend, if it keeps you in power by diverting attention away.

Because Obama doesn't actually have a foreign policy, and always seems to back the wrong horse, this sends out the wrong messages and allows uncertainty to develop.
Obama needs to grow some balls, a spine & develop a policy that will actually resolve this ongoing problem that started 3 years ago. But his head is so far in the sand, he has started talking out his arse. War may not necessarily be the answer, but doing nothing definitely isn't.

How's that holiday going, mate?
Syria on 04:35 - Aug 27 with 2117 viewsexiled_dictator

Syria on 23:44 - Aug 26 by GloryHunter

How's that holiday going, mate?

Holiday / mini-break over.
Back to London & work yesterday.
Only prepared to be away for a few days.
This just reiterates to me that I could never be too far away from work, and certainly not overseas. Too many bloody foreigners.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Syria on 10:17 - Aug 27 with 2074 viewsFloridaR

Morning we should stay out of it.
Reason is the pushy Saudi's are pissed off that they can't get their gas up to Austria / Germany to break the Russian's gas monopoly supply. The deal went dead about 2 months ago with the Nabucco pipeline but deals are still being done as the Chemical bombs are dropping ?
http://oilprice.com/Geopolitics/Middle-East/Iran-Iraq-Syria-Pipeline-Must-Tempt-
No wonder the Russians are pissed off.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink: Happy I'm the 'chosen one'

Syria on 10:33 - Aug 27 with 2065 viewsdoogi55

right lets send an aircraft carrier errm who can lend us some plains.
i see blair has thrown in with the lets bomb them.why cant we just stay out and let the russians sort it out .we go in change regimes it all goes wrong and we get the blame. stay well out.
Syria on 10:46 - Aug 27 with 2058 viewsisawqpratwcity

Syria on 10:33 - Aug 27 by doogi55

right lets send an aircraft carrier errm who can lend us some plains.
i see blair has thrown in with the lets bomb them.why cant we just stay out and let the russians sort it out .we go in change regimes it all goes wrong and we get the blame. stay well out.

Russians have no interest in sorting this out. What helps Assad helps them.

It is an unproven but likely assumption that Assad did use gas. If that charge firms up sufficiently then something should be done, but not necessarily immediate military action. Obama could canvass the opposition groups to guarantee the Russians their continued access to naval facilities. That alone might be enough to destabilise Assad.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Syria on 10:53 - Aug 27 with 1854 viewsJuzzie

My initial feelings are that we should stay out of it. I don't really know much about the history/politics of it all but it seems to me we've been involved in that part of the world (as well as just about everywhere else) for a long, long time.

My Grandsad worked for most of his career at the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (known today as BP) so it's clear we've had an 'interest' in the middle-east for over a century so we're already involved.
Syria on 10:56 - Aug 27 with 1851 viewsGloryHunter

Syria on 04:35 - Aug 27 by exiled_dictator

Holiday / mini-break over.
Back to London & work yesterday.
Only prepared to be away for a few days.
This just reiterates to me that I could never be too far away from work, and certainly not overseas. Too many bloody foreigners.

I knew you wouldn't like it.
Syria on 11:17 - Aug 27 with 1841 viewsTheChef

Syria on 11:14 - Aug 26 by CHUBBS

Oh no Israel have such a good human rights record don't they!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/23/the-banality-of-racism-in-israe
Written by Lisa Goldman a well respected Jewish journalist.

Yes Chubbs and other states in the Middle East have such amazing human rights records don't they?

Just look at how they treat women and the gay community for a start.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Syria on 11:21 - Aug 27 with 1836 viewsMetallica_Hoop

What I posted on the Beeb about an hour ago.

"Not our problem.

Our money is best spent on our own country, as it should be.
Those who care can donate to 'Charity' instead of demanding we pay for it to ease their conscience."

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Syria on 11:30 - Aug 27 with 1831 viewszicoshoops

It's depressing, but isn't the reality that War (especially in another Country) is good for the business interests of 'First World Countries.'

Human life seems to hold little if any value these days, and the majority of impending deaths will be of people that follow what many perceive to be a Stone Age Religion.
Does that/ should that make it more acceptable?
Isn't it true that consciously or unconsciously we all place different values on life, depending on Cultural backgrounds or Religious beliefs?

So many different ways of looking at it.
So many reasons for invasion or non-invasion.

Or maybe it's as simple as, 'It's all about the money?'
[Post edited 27 Aug 2013 11:37]
Syria on 11:42 - Aug 27 with 1818 viewsJuzzie

War is good for business. It also accelerates medical technology/knowledge. It accelerates electrical technology - hard drives would still be about 500Mb max and the internet on 56k dial-up if it wasn't for war. War accelerates just about everything.

So, as long as it's somewhere else, then war is great (please note the sarcastic tone).

I was behind a UPS (I think) van last week and on the back of it it had a logo, amongst many other logos, saying "Peace will come" or something like that. Sorry, but it won't all the while governments around the world support it as per all of the above reasons.
Syria on 12:43 - Aug 27 with 1791 viewsBluce_Ree

Syria.... I dunno. I'm not sure I can care anymore.

The entire equator of this planet is surrounded by nations that are too hot and generally pissed off with each other. Everyday is car bombs and massacres.

It's basically like knowing there are a family of pricks in your street. Eventually you stop caring and hope that eventually they'll accidentally set fire to themselves instead.

Chemical weapons? Oh f**k these guys. It's 2013. If you've not got your shit together by now, maybe you need to f**k off to the kids table and let us grown up nations concentrate on inventing better iPads or something.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Syria on 13:11 - Aug 27 with 1777 viewsisawqpratwcity

Horsesh*t, you c*nts.

This is a weapon that we have proscribed since the Great War. It is a disgusting war crime , whoever did it.

We need to ascribe blame, and then even determine the best way to resolve this, but it definetly can't pass unexamined.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2013 13:20]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Syria on 13:24 - Aug 27 with 1759 viewsBluce_Ree

Syria on 13:11 - Aug 27 by isawqpratwcity

Horsesh*t, you c*nts.

This is a weapon that we have proscribed since the Great War. It is a disgusting war crime , whoever did it.

We need to ascribe blame, and then even determine the best way to resolve this, but it definetly can't pass unexamined.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2013 13:20]

Yeah but then what? Nothing changes. Some other overly hot, irritable country will be next. They'll f**k over their people, it'll be all over our newspapers and this debate will happen again and again.

It's just all too depressing and futile. You can't fix pricks. And if we do go over there we'll just f**k things up worse. What's the point?

I used to care about this stuff but it's a fact of life now. There are a lot of f**ked places in the world. I'd rather just avoid them.

It's not like Syria's ever going to be a good place to live from this point on. It's basically f**ked for life.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Syria on 13:25 - Aug 27 with 1756 viewsTonto

this has to optential to be one big cluster....

assad is an evit twist SOB. But the US (and the UK) need to stop becoming the world police. particularly as this is another muslim country and further interferance in another Muslim country could lead to yet more extremeism.

Pursuade the Muslim states to sort their own out through the UN.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024