Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OT- New York and ????? 21:00 - Jan 16 with 3127 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I am hoping for some useful advice from my fellow Rs.
I am taking my family to New York later this year (summer) and am looking to combine it with another destination. We thought maybe Boston or Niagara. Has anyone been to Boston or any other suggestions?
OT- New York and ????? on 21:03 - Jan 16 with 2517 viewsBlackCrowe

Boston is a great city - very do-able on foot. But if you're there in the Summer, then you should seriously consider a few days in Cape Cod, fantastic beaches and vibe and beautiful coastline. I can pm you info on it if you're interested.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

OT- New York and ????? on 21:15 - Jan 16 with 2485 viewsHollowayRanger

yep did boson cape cod nyc

very nice

make sure you see the aircraft carrier in nyc and

great day out is battleship cove as well went there for the day via boston by coach

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

http://www.battleshipcove.com/

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

OT- New York and ????? on 21:22 - Jan 16 with 2467 viewsrobith

I cant recommend Philadelphia enough. Beautiful city where near enough every major event in the formation f the US happened so loads of history. City itself is pretty small, loads of great countryside near by. The locals love aleing

And, you know, cheesesteaks

OT- New York and ????? on 21:40 - Jan 16 with 2440 viewsCroydonCaptJack

OT- New York and ????? on 21:03 - Jan 16 by BlackCrowe

Boston is a great city - very do-able on foot. But if you're there in the Summer, then you should seriously consider a few days in Cape Cod, fantastic beaches and vibe and beautiful coastline. I can pm you info on it if you're interested.

That would be great please mate. My wife wants to factor in a few days relaxing so sounds promising.
OT- New York and ????? on 22:13 - Jan 16 with 2410 viewsderbyhoop

Boston is, possibly, the most European city in the USA, and well worth a visit. You might like to consider Newport in Rhode Island for a day trip or Providence, the state capital.
Newport is where Dylan went 'electric' and was once used for the Americas Cup.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

OT- New York and ????? on 22:24 - Jan 16 with 2396 viewsted_hendrix

NYC is a great stop over city, 2 maybe 3 nights though was always plenty long enough because it really is a manic place, the airports are good though for moving onto the next city of you're destination.
I've done all of the Southern states with the exception of New Mexico and thankfully Florida.
The USA is a great place to road trip but you must get off the beaten track.

Arizona is an awesome state and not just because of the Grand Canyon.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

OT- New York and ????? on 03:11 - Jan 17 with 2341 viewsBklynRanger

I'd go with BlackCrowe's advice if it was me. Boston's fine but no more than that imo, and I have a soft spot for Philly and the Amish countryside, but after a few sweaty summer days in NYC you'll be eager for some coastal breezes.

Maine is beautiful too, but farther than Cape Cod, so it would depend how much driving you want to do.
OT- New York and ????? on 07:18 - Jan 17 with 2298 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Cheers for that lads. Much appreciated.
Login to get fewer ads

OT- New York and ????? on 07:21 - Jan 17 with 2296 viewsAlbRanger

Chicago is the best city in the US - bar none
OT- New York and ????? on 07:45 - Jan 17 with 2271 viewsGrant165

I went to NY for the first time over Christmas, fantastic place.

If you get a chance and are doing a bit of walking I would highly recommend the High Line http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_(New_York_City) its beautiful (and quiet!).
OT- New York and ????? on 08:46 - Jan 17 with 2241 viewsheadhoops

Family will love NYC - buy one of the fast passes to the main attractions - suggest you do one of the high ones in the day, Empire and the Rock at night - city looks different. The boat trips are good as you see loads as is the high walkway. Depending on the age of the kids you can walk miles.
Alternative suggestion would then be to go to Toronto. Niagara is OK but tacky.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

OT- New York and ????? on 09:22 - Jan 17 with 2212 viewsBlackCrowe

OT- New York and ????? on 07:18 - Jan 17 by CroydonCaptJack

Cheers for that lads. Much appreciated.

The places I liked best on Cape Cod are the villages of Dennis and Brewster on the North side, which feel like unspoilt Devon or Cornish coastal villages, only with big houses. Chatham on the East point is lovely too, lots of quirky shops, good eating and hotels/guest houses. In short if you were to rent a place then i'd plump for Dennis or Brewster and if you were to stay in a hotel/guest house then Chatham. Avoid Provincetown for anything other than a day trip - pretty tacky. The beaches all over are fantastic, golden sand, mixture of small bays and huge expanses. Special mention to the beach and sand dunes at Wellfleet, absolutely stunning with a fantastic beach bar and restaurant called the Wellfleet Inn.
Cape Cod is about a 90 minute drive from Boston, so a couple of nights in the city followed by a few on the Cape is a perfect combo. If you decide to go there, let me know and i can recommend some fab inexpensive restaurants (although it was about 4 years ago that i went).

Ps. Great sea-fishing and/or whale-watching trips to be had too if you're into that kind of thing.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2014 9:27]

OT- New York and ????? on 10:15 - Jan 17 with 2171 viewsCroydonCaptJack

OT- New York and ????? on 09:22 - Jan 17 by BlackCrowe

The places I liked best on Cape Cod are the villages of Dennis and Brewster on the North side, which feel like unspoilt Devon or Cornish coastal villages, only with big houses. Chatham on the East point is lovely too, lots of quirky shops, good eating and hotels/guest houses. In short if you were to rent a place then i'd plump for Dennis or Brewster and if you were to stay in a hotel/guest house then Chatham. Avoid Provincetown for anything other than a day trip - pretty tacky. The beaches all over are fantastic, golden sand, mixture of small bays and huge expanses. Special mention to the beach and sand dunes at Wellfleet, absolutely stunning with a fantastic beach bar and restaurant called the Wellfleet Inn.
Cape Cod is about a 90 minute drive from Boston, so a couple of nights in the city followed by a few on the Cape is a perfect combo. If you decide to go there, let me know and i can recommend some fab inexpensive restaurants (although it was about 4 years ago that i went).

Ps. Great sea-fishing and/or whale-watching trips to be had too if you're into that kind of thing.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2014 9:27]

That is much appreciated mate. I need to sit down and think about this now. I was planning on 5 days in NY. Is that too much do you think as I only have 10 days in all?
OT- New York and ????? on 10:26 - Jan 17 with 2167 viewsstowmarketrange

We went to NYC in May 2001,and did the usual touristy bits including the twin towers.I got up wary one morning and took a stroll from our hotel on west 44th st to Brooklyn via the bridge and back.i walked straight past the Empire without even seeing it.
It was either that or spend a day shopping in century 21.
Fantastic place to visit.
OT- New York and ????? on 10:36 - Jan 17 with 2156 viewsBrightonhoop

Strongly recommend Harlem, but only in daylight, and even then be careful, it can feel like a war zone the deeper you go. Appleby's for soul food just past the Apollo, if you are white they will try to seat you facing the side street but insist on the main drag window, you will see all life pass by. A photographers dream.
OT- New York and ????? on 10:39 - Jan 17 with 2151 viewsBlackCrowe

OT- New York and ????? on 10:15 - Jan 17 by CroydonCaptJack

That is much appreciated mate. I need to sit down and think about this now. I was planning on 5 days in NY. Is that too much do you think as I only have 10 days in all?

New York's fab and can easily accomodate at least 5 days. But if it was me (and each to their own and all that) I'd do 4 nights New York, 3 hour (scenic) train trip to Boston. 2 nights Boston, hire a car and then 4 nights Cape Cod, fly back from Boston.

Be a great itinerary that, except that it'll leave you want ing more.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2014 10:40]

OT- New York and ????? on 11:18 - Jan 17 with 2123 viewsmakaveli1882

I'm not sure if it would interest you, or what dates your going? but England playing to games in Miami in June, if any of your kids are male they would love it and something to brag about at school

The team will then travel to the United States for two matches in Miami’s Sunlife Stadium against Ecuador on Wednesday 4 June (KO 3pm local time) and Honduras on Saturday 7 June (KO 4.45pm local time).
OT- New York and ????? on 13:29 - Jan 17 with 2088 viewsCroydonCaptJack

OT- New York and ????? on 11:18 - Jan 17 by makaveli1882

I'm not sure if it would interest you, or what dates your going? but England playing to games in Miami in June, if any of your kids are male they would love it and something to brag about at school

The team will then travel to the United States for two matches in Miami’s Sunlife Stadium against Ecuador on Wednesday 4 June (KO 3pm local time) and Honduras on Saturday 7 June (KO 4.45pm local time).

No we are looking at July/Aug. Nice idea though.
OT- New York and ????? on 15:27 - Jan 17 with 2052 viewspeejaybee

OT- New York and ????? on 07:21 - Jan 17 by AlbRanger

But beware of Detroit.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

OT- New York and ????? on 15:34 - Jan 17 with 2045 viewsmakaveli1882

OT- New York and ????? on 13:29 - Jan 17 by CroydonCaptJack

No we are looking at July/Aug. Nice idea though.

No worries, good luck with what ever state you choose, I am doing New Orleans Vegas and San fran in April & May, New Orleans has been number one on my list for years
OT- New York and ????? on 16:01 - Jan 17 with 2025 viewsCroydonCaptJack

OT- New York and ????? on 15:34 - Jan 17 by makaveli1882

No worries, good luck with what ever state you choose, I am doing New Orleans Vegas and San fran in April & May, New Orleans has been number one on my list for years

San Fran is great. Make sure you go to Alcatraz.
OT- New York and ????? on 16:19 - Jan 17 with 2009 viewshoopstilidie

OT- New York and ????? on 22:13 - Jan 16 by derbyhoop

Boston is, possibly, the most European city in the USA, and well worth a visit. You might like to consider Newport in Rhode Island for a day trip or Providence, the state capital.
Newport is where Dylan went 'electric' and was once used for the Americas Cup.

Did you get to keep him for a year if you won?

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

OT- New York and ????? on 17:19 - Jan 17 with 1977 viewsMatch82

OT- New York and ????? on 07:21 - Jan 17 by AlbRanger

Also, agree with other poster, if you want to stay up in the North East then Toronto is a great choice. You can also get a train from Toronto directly to Niagara Falls - the Canadian side has much better views, but there's not much else there. Don't do what I did and book a 3 day trip, in and out in a day is the way to do it...
OT- New York and ????? on 17:46 - Jan 17 with 1950 viewsted_hendrix

OT- New York and ????? on 15:34 - Jan 17 by makaveli1882

Dave me old mate New Orleans is fantastic but jeez don't stray into the wrong areas which you can easily do if your not careful, me and my lad were leaving the hotel on the Monday morning to drive to Memphis and on the news on the TV the Woman said there had been 5 murders over the weekend LOL.
If I see you at half time tomorrow I'll put you in the picture, the street music and the bars on Bourbon Street are worth the flight money alone.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

OT- New York and ????? on 17:56 - Jan 17 with 1944 viewsDylanP

One possible trip is to go to NY, rent a car and drive over to Philidelphia and then take a swing through Amish Country (Lancaster County, Pennsylvania) and back to NY. Philly is a nice city. If you have kids there is lots to do. I would particularly recommend the science museum (called the Franklin Science Center) which is great for kids as it is very hands on. Amish Country is great. It is something you can't see anywhere else int he world. The amish are an agricultural-based Christian group who basically live without the benefits of modern technology. So no cars or tractors or TVs or telephone, and so on. They dress is a very specific / unique way and drive around in horse drawn carriages. The area is very beautiful and the lifestyle is very interesting and unique. The Amish live in tightly knit communities, but are fairly open to outsiders and there are lots of great bed and breakfasts. Lancaster County is in Pennsylvania but there are Amish communities spread out across Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, etc. You can google Amish, to learn more. If you are out that way, it would be worth stopping in at the Harley-Davidson factory/museum at York.

Another trip I would recommend would be to go north from NY to Niagara Falls. The falls actually cross the US-Canadian border and the best way to see the falls is from the Canadian side. Plus the city of Niagara Falls is awesome. The y just did a real nice job of putting loads of stuff to do close enough that its walkable but not so close that it is overwhelmingly commercialized. You can walk from the Canadian side to the US side over the bridge. I would definitely recommend staying on the Canadian side. It is easy to cross the border by car or by foot as long as you have a passport. There is also loads of interesting things to do on the drive from NY to Niagara. There is the baseball hall of fame, the soccer hall of fame (don't give me a hard time, that is what they call it in the US), there is the Waterford Chystal factory, which I have never been to but my wife went and liked. There is the Culinary Institute of America, which I also haven't been to, but again my wife went to and liked.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024