Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tykes see off the Latics tonight 21:50 - Apr 12 with 1108 viewsdurham_exile

That's more like it

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 23:27 - Apr 12 with 1089 viewsmfb_cufc

Every little helps, but I think it will be Shrewsbury we need to get ahead of to survive, as they have got the hardest run-in of the teams involved. Crewe, Doncaster, Blackpool and Shrewsbury for the drop, but we need to win all five.

mfb

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 00:37 - Apr 13 with 1083 viewswessex_exile

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 23:27 - Apr 12 by mfb_cufc

Every little helps, but I think it will be Shrewsbury we need to get ahead of to survive, as they have got the hardest run-in of the teams involved. Crewe, Doncaster, Blackpool and Shrewsbury for the drop, but we need to win all five.

Tonight helps, but I agree Oldham isn't our target right now. I think we could catch Shrewsbury, and (whisper it) possibly with one draw in the last five, but will Blackpool (even with one game less) claw enough points together to overtake Shrewsbury and make them the unattainable target?

Five out of five should make that question academic...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 09:25 - Apr 13 with 1068 viewsdurham_exile

We need to see Fleetwood Shrewsbury and Oldham struggle to pick up points in this vital run in.

The more teams in the relegation mix the better.

We can secure the victories required but any assistance from others slipping up is very welcome.
Up the U's

What is very good is that other boarders are beginning to believe!
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 9:27]

Durham_exile

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 15:30 - Apr 13 with 1035 viewsgerry_us

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 09:25 - Apr 13 by durham_exile

We need to see Fleetwood Shrewsbury and Oldham struggle to pick up points in this vital run in.

We can secure the victories required but any assistance from others slipping up is very welcome.
Up the U's

You believe enough for all of us Durham...and more.
Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 17:05 - Apr 13 with 1026 viewsLeadbelly

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 09:25 - Apr 13 by durham_exile

Up the U's

I'll believe it when it happens.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Tykes see off the Latics tonight (n/t) on 18:19 - Apr 13 with 1012 viewsTheOldOakTree

[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 9:09]
Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 18:43 - Apr 13 with 1008 viewsdurham_exile

Tykes see off the Latics tonight (n/t) on 18:19 - Apr 13 by TheOldOakTree

TOOT I think that you would be forgiven for such considerations. Definitely take this theme to the next stage....................

On Saturday the U's should run out to Elmer Bernstein's classic film "score"

I would suggest that KK should be Bartlett Big X

Garvan should be MacDonald Intelligence

Porter (agreed) as Hendley The Scrounger

RC (agreed) s the Kommandant

Moncur as Ashley-Pitt Dispersal

Very much like the TH reference

Ideas sought for:

Ramsey the SBO
Danny Tunnel King
Blythe the Forger
Ives The Mole
Cavendish The Surveyor
etc

Suggest the Match on saturday is dedicated to the 50 who went to Valley Parade for the famous victory which started this revival.

Just 5 more victories will see the U's survive for another season.

Bring it on

Up the U's

PS On a serious note I used to work with the son of the man who was the real life POW that James Garner's character was based on. Now he was a real hero.

Durham_exile

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 00:23 - Apr 14 with 987 viewspwrightsknees

On the subject of unsung heroes, here's a piece about Peter Butterworth - he of Carry On films. I've known this story for years, but due to laziness, I've copied the following extract from Wikipedia:

"Before his acting career started, Butterworth served as a lieutenant in the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm during the Second World War. While flying in an attack on the Dutch coast off Den Helder in 1940 his Fairey Albacore was shot down by Messerschmitt Bf 109s killing one crew member and wounding the other. After a forced landing on the island of Texel he was captured becoming a prisoner of war (POW). Sent to the Dulag Luft POW transit camp, at Oberursel near Frankfurt, he later escaped in June 1941 through a tunnel, covering 27 miles (43 km) over three days before a member of the Hitler Youth captured him. Afterwards he joked that he could never work with children again. Two other attempts to escape were made during his time there but he never got beyond the camp grounds. He was subsequently sent to Stalag Luft III, near Sagan, the scene later of The Great Escape.

Whilst at Stalag Luft III he met Talbot Rothwell, who later went on to write many of the Carry On films in which Butterworth was to star. Rothwell and Butterworth formed a duet and sang in the camp shows, where booing and catcalls covered the sounds of an escape tunnel being dug by other prisoners. Butterworth was one of the vaulters covering for the escapers during the escape portrayed by the book and film The Wooden Horse. Butterworth later auditioned for the film in 1949 but "didn't look convincingly heroic or athletic enough" according to the makers of the film."

Back to me. There were many unsung heroes (there are some alive still, of course). Few are as well known to us as Peter Butterworth, but let's not forget that ordinary men and women can display great bravery, but seldom get acknowledged for it.

Up the U's.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 0:34]
Login to get fewer ads

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 00:48 - Apr 14 with 978 viewswessex_exile

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 00:23 - Apr 14 by pwrightsknees

On the subject of unsung heroes, here's a piece about Peter Butterworth - he of Carry On films. I've known this story for years, but due to laziness, I've copied the following extract from Wikipedia:

"Before his acting career started, Butterworth served as a lieutenant in the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm during the Second World War. While flying in an attack on the Dutch coast off Den Helder in 1940 his Fairey Albacore was shot down by Messerschmitt Bf 109s killing one crew member and wounding the other. After a forced landing on the island of Texel he was captured becoming a prisoner of war (POW). Sent to the Dulag Luft POW transit camp, at Oberursel near Frankfurt, he later escaped in June 1941 through a tunnel, covering 27 miles (43 km) over three days before a member of the Hitler Youth captured him. Afterwards he joked that he could never work with children again. Two other attempts to escape were made during his time there but he never got beyond the camp grounds. He was subsequently sent to Stalag Luft III, near Sagan, the scene later of The Great Escape.

Whilst at Stalag Luft III he met Talbot Rothwell, who later went on to write many of the Carry On films in which Butterworth was to star. Rothwell and Butterworth formed a duet and sang in the camp shows, where booing and catcalls covered the sounds of an escape tunnel being dug by other prisoners. Butterworth was one of the vaulters covering for the escapers during the escape portrayed by the book and film The Wooden Horse. Butterworth later auditioned for the film in 1949 but "didn't look convincingly heroic or athletic enough" according to the makers of the film."

Back to me. There were many unsung heroes (there are some alive still, of course). Few are as well known to us as Peter Butterworth, but let's not forget that ordinary men and women can display great bravery, but seldom get acknowledged for it.

Up the U's.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2016 0:34]

Excellent stuff sir. Myself, and several other on here, were privileged to be taught maths by John Powell Davies back in the 70s at the Gilberd. A giant of a man, brilliant teacher, and former prisoner at Colditz Castle during the war.

Up the U's

Tykes see off the Latics tonight (n/t) on 11:55 - Apr 14 with 954 viewsTheOldOakTree

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 00:48 - Apr 14 by wessex_exile

Excellent stuff sir. Myself, and several other on here, were privileged to be taught maths by John Powell Davies back in the 70s at the Gilberd. A giant of a man, brilliant teacher, and former prisoner at Colditz Castle during the war.

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 12:23 - Apr 14 with 947 viewswessex_exile

Tykes see off the Latics tonight (n/t) on 11:55 - Apr 14 by TheOldOakTree

That was Mr Richards (Geography) I think, also a giant of a man as it happens. He lived in Hong Kong or somewhere near there for a long time, spoke Cantonese, and taught the Chinese Studies option at A-Level (which me and Mick T took - a great excuse for a school trip to the local Chinese restaurant, and compulsory viewing of Monkey on the TV for homework).

Up the U's

Tykes see off the Latics tonight (n/t) on 12:59 - Apr 14 with 939 viewsTheOldOakTree

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 12:23 - Apr 14 by wessex_exile

That was Mr Richards (Geography) I think, also a giant of a man as it happens. He lived in Hong Kong or somewhere near there for a long time, spoke Cantonese, and taught the Chinese Studies option at A-Level (which me and Mick T took - a great excuse for a school trip to the local Chinese restaurant, and compulsory viewing of Monkey on the TV for homework).

[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 9:10]
Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 13:21 - Apr 14 with 935 viewsLeadbelly

Tykes see off the Latics tonight on 00:48 - Apr 14 by wessex_exile

Luckily for me I was taught by Mr Powell Davies in my 3rd year at the Gilberd. Maths was never my strongest subject but three terms of JPD and his pipe worked wonders. Not sure I would have passed the O level without his input. An imposing man with beard and pipe but a damn good teacher.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024