Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dear John Ward 20:17 - Feb 25 with 509 viewsDaniel

I only have four words to say to you and to quote Mike Bassett... "FOUR FOUR F***ING TWO"
Dear John Ward on 20:50 - Feb 25 with 501 viewsdurham_exile

Daniel,

I note that the team was:

Williams
Wilson Magnus Eastman White
Izzet Rowlands Woody Henderson
Sears
Gillespie

What was the formation:

Surely not 4,5,1

Was it 4,4,1,1

Why did Odejayi not play?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Dear John Ward on 12:07 - Feb 26 with 474 viewsnoah4x4

Dear John Ward on 20:50 - Feb 25 by durham_exile

Daniel,

I note that the team was:

Williams
Wilson Magnus Eastman White
Izzet Rowlands Woody Henderson
Sears
Gillespie

What was the formation:

Surely not 4,5,1

Was it 4,4,1,1

Why did Odejayi not play?

Up the U's

Durham,

The formation was difficult to work out. I reckon it was supposed to be 4,5,1.....but on the field it looked more like 4, 3, 1, 1, 1.

Most especially after Martin Rowlands was withdrawn for Andy Bond (BTW, is Bond now deemed a striker after Wednesday's hat trick? - he seemed to be ahead of the other 'strikers' more often than not).

It didn't matter who the leading '1' (of the three '1's') was - he who got to the front always seemed totally isolated (and lost the ball). We only ever got width if the full backs got forward. We made it so easy for the Dale defence. Count how few corners they conceded!

The situation was crying out for Odejayi to come on to win (in the air) and hold up the ball - then for ANY TWO of Gillie, Hendo or Sears to run onto. Playing all three was a nonsense. They either got into each others space and/or were too isolated.

At the other end, thankfully, Rochdale were even worse. BBC Football League show summed it up perfectly ..."here is the one highlight" (3 seconds of video).

Why take off Martin Rowlands too - when Izzet and Woody were ineffective.
Dear John Ward on 17:26 - Feb 26 with 459 viewsFruitbat

The only thing that was clear about the formation that we were trying to play is that we were playing one in goal and four at the back. In front of that just appeared to be a random jumble of midfielders with Gillespie, Sears and Henderson taking it in turn to play "rush strikers".

I defy anyone to explain to me how a side playing 5 in midfield can have absolutely no width and why, when the centre forward is left sitting on the bench, the stock ball is still the big punt up the middle to the opposing centre halves who were at least a foot taller than whoever was furthest foward for us.

Dreadful game of football between two poor sides.

Dear John Ward on 18:38 - Feb 26 with 454 viewsbwildered

Dear John Ward on 17:26 - Feb 26 by Fruitbat

The only thing that was clear about the formation that we were trying to play is that we were playing one in goal and four at the back. In front of that just appeared to be a random jumble of midfielders with Gillespie, Sears and Henderson taking it in turn to play "rush strikers".

I defy anyone to explain to me how a side playing 5 in midfield can have absolutely no width and why, when the centre forward is left sitting on the bench, the stock ball is still the big punt up the middle to the opposing centre halves who were at least a foot taller than whoever was furthest foward for us.

Dreadful game of football between two poor sides.

If there was a advert for the game NOT to give a points for a goalless draw , this was it .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Dear John Ward on 20:20 - Feb 26 with 446 viewsDaniel

Without paying too much attention to the central midfiled, it just looked like our usual nagative formation. Gilly played most of the game as the lone striker with Henderson and Sears hugging the wings, then for the last 10-15 mins, Gilly and Sears swaped places. I agree with Noah - the game was crying out for Odejayi to come on and hold the ball up.

I really can't stand us playing Gilly by himself and I can't get why Ward persists with it.
Dear John Ward on 21:20 - Feb 26 with 443 viewsdurham_exile

Dear John Ward on 20:20 - Feb 26 by Daniel

Without paying too much attention to the central midfiled, it just looked like our usual nagative formation. Gilly played most of the game as the lone striker with Henderson and Sears hugging the wings, then for the last 10-15 mins, Gilly and Sears swaped places. I agree with Noah - the game was crying out for Odejayi to come on and hold the ball up.

I really can't stand us playing Gilly by himself and I can't get why Ward persists with it.

Thanks for the updates guys, it all sound depressing but here's the thing the Latics on Tuesday which gives Freddie another chance ot open his account and then a double over PNE on saturday.

Game on.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Dear John Ward on 21:44 - Feb 26 with 438 viewsgerry_us

Dear John Ward on 21:20 - Feb 26 by durham_exile

Thanks for the updates guys, it all sound depressing but here's the thing the Latics on Tuesday which gives Freddie another chance ot open his account and then a double over PNE on saturday.

Game on.

Up the U's

I hope you are right this time Durham. I based my 4-1 Saturday win prediction on your prior upbeat assessment of the game...
See you Tuesday.
Dear John Ward on 07:02 - Feb 27 with 426 viewsdurham_exile

Dear John Ward on 21:44 - Feb 26 by gerry_us

I hope you are right this time Durham. I based my 4-1 Saturday win prediction on your prior upbeat assessment of the game...
See you Tuesday.

Gerry my apologies.

I predicted 3-0 to Col U!

Problem is JW still doesn't realise that he now has 4 strikers and still can't play two up front!

Safe journey to Boundary Park.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Dear John Ward on 10:55 - Feb 27 with 418 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Dear John Ward on 18:38 - Feb 26 by bwildered

If there was a advert for the game NOT to give a points for a goalless draw , this was it .

This is actually something that I think should be introduced. You do get the odd enjoyable nil-nil but they're few and far between. Surely if it was 0-0 with ten minutes to go and both teams were faced with the prospect of going away with zero points the desire to score would far overwhelm of that not to concede.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Dear John Ward on 12:19 - Feb 28 with 390 viewsnoah4x4

If its nil - nil.......caused by boring negative tactics....

I reckon we should have a penalty shoot out between the fans (all of them).
Put BOTH managers in the goal (suspended centrally in chains).
Winner is the LEAST goals (e.g. most hits on the managers).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024