Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite 'old' ground 19:43 - Jan 18 with 822 viewsDaniel

Excluding Layer Road, what is your favourite ground no longer in existance?
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Favourite 'old' ground on 08:35 - Jan 19 with 800 viewsdurham_exile

Two of my old favourites are:

Feethams at Darlington, several matches normally victories but including a bizarre 7-3 defeat which will live long in the memory and the Gay Meadow at Shrewsbury where we won 3-0 many years ago in the Cup

Least favourite old ground Loakes Park at Wyscum, the slope was shocking and Highfield Road Coventry where my youngest son was hit by an object thrown by a so called Sky Blue supporter when we scored in the Cup. We received an apology from the Coventry Chairman but the memories are not good!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Favourite 'old' ground on 10:01 - Jan 19 with 792 viewswessex_exile

Sadly missed - though I never saw the U's play there, it has to be The Dell. A right hotch-potch of a ground, jammed into the only (somewhat irregular) space available, but buckets of charm and one hell of an atmosphere.

I would also have to say St Mary's is probably my most favourite 'new' stadium as well, though the McAlpine comes a close second.

Good riddance - without a doubt Home Park (pre-redevelopment) - hideous, and populated by hideous neanderthals, 'nuff said...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Favourite 'old' ground on 11:30 - Jan 20 with 762 viewsBluenWightExile

Nice thread Daniel.

Favourite oldun - Oxford United

Least - agree Wessex - Home Park, what an awful place it still is and how appropriate if they took a spell out of the league.

Pinault-noir

Favourite 'old' ground on 14:31 - Jan 20 with 756 viewsFruitbat

Favourite 'old' ground on 11:30 - Jan 20 by BluenWightExile

Nice thread Daniel.

Favourite oldun - Oxford United

Least - agree Wessex - Home Park, what an awful place it still is and how appropriate if they took a spell out of the league.

enjoyed my only visit to the old oxford manor ground - we won! if i remember rightly there were seven different stands and none of it seemed to fit together. had the look and feel of layer road to it.

given my soft spot for the arsenal, favourite has to be highbury.

always found priestfield to be a rather unwelcoming place, particularly the maze of "tunnels" behind the old away end.
Favourite 'old' ground on 16:34 - Jan 20 with 748 viewscarruthers

I loved the old Molineux, the new ground looks like everyone else's apart from the colour.
Years ago when watching football on tv i could always tell what ground was on by looking at the stand roofs and terracing, now they all look the same.
I thought Gillinghams ground [as already mentioned] was a bit of hotch potch of stands and terracing. It was interesting reading a book about football during the war, so many grounds suffered bomb damage. The U's being the opposite and having the Layer Road end stand built by German prisoners of war.
Ho hum
Favourite 'old' ground on 21:13 - Jan 20 with 740 viewspancab77

Wembley,Highbury and Saltergate(including the social club).

eyeing a league and cup double

Favourite 'old' ground on 17:11 - Jan 21 with 709 viewsLeadbelly

Went to Boothferry Park once as a neutral to watch Hull City v Blackpool in the Auto Windscreens or similar. Much impressed by the six floodlight pylons and ease of parking (not a large attendance that night)

I would say the "sporting arena" I miss the most is the entrance to Tey Road Close in Earls Colne. It was the scene on many epic football matches during my formative years in the 1970's. The small, two post road signs either side made perfect goals and during the summer doubled up as wickets. Any ball landing in the gardens on the opposite side of Tey Road without bouncing was "six and out". Happy days!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Favourite 'old' ground on 21:34 - Jan 21 with 701 viewsnoah4x4

Eastville - Bristol.

Once home to Bristol Rovers, Bristol Bulldogs Speedway, Greyhound Racing and just before its demise, the Bristol Bombers American Football Team.

Was a proper stadium for real men (footie one week, speedway the next). I remember the comic heros of that era - Roy of the Rovers - Speedway Aces - here there was every boys fantasy in one location (until he grew up and found girls).

Had two wonderfully unique features;

a) Flower beds planted behind each goal!

b) Stunk of the most foul smelling sulphur dioxide pong from the gasholder behind - hence the nickname the 'Gas'.

It's now an IKEA..........cest la vie!

Some irony in that. I bet John Ward can put together an IKEA wardrobe faster then he can put together a decent Gas-Heads team.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite 'old' ground on 00:30 - Jan 24 with 673 viewsmacro

Roker Park was a quality ground

as for the worse has to be Northamptons old one
Favourite 'old' ground on 21:35 - Jan 24 with 649 viewsthrillseeker

Favourite Old Ground - Highbury pre-Taylor Report
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024