Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martinez on Saturday ..... 23:03 - Sep 17 with 8819 viewsswansvalleyjack

I honestly think Martinez does not deserve the vitriol from some on this Forum and elsewhere. And I hope that is not the case on Saturday.

As regards Flynn and Jackett, I have nothing but thanks for them in setting us on our way. But let’s be honest — it was Martinez who changed the whole ethos and culture of the Club into what we are today. Does anyone really believe that we would be where we are now without his vision and style of play. (Do we also all remember the long balls to Rory Fallon pre Martinez ! )

And I am not taking anything away from Huw Jenkins and the Board who saved us in the first place, and who had the foresight to appoint Martinez ..…nor am I taking anything from the later Managers (shrewdly appointed by the Board) who have tweaked and cleverly built on Martinez’ ethos.

But that fundamental shift introduced by Martinez has been absolutely crucial to our success.

The vitriol against Martinez is primarily based on his words that he would only go “if forced out”. And in hindsight from his point of view - those were unwise words. But he also had said that while the Board made a very brave decision to give him the job at 33, then as long as “both have the same ambition” it won't be a problem (ie should other clubs come knocking).

This second comment by him is often conveniently missed by critics. As Wales on Line recently reminded us - Martinez had wanted to build on the first season in the Championship and had eyed two midfielders at Hamilton as potential signings. James McCarthy was available for £2m and James McArthur for slightly less but it appeared Swansea couldn't quite stretch themselves to a deal, also unable to turn the loan deal for Jordi Gomez into a permanent one. It planted seeds of doubt in Martinez (about the Club’s ambition). That - plus the lure of his first club Wigan (playing in the Premier League) — was the tipping point.

Now, I am not going to criticise the Board either for that apparent “lack of ambition” at that time — they have been rightly cautious in always looking after the Club’s finances. And maybe things at that moment were moving too fast for a crack at the Premier League - Martinez has previously alluded to this also.

So I won’t be heaping abuse on him when he returns on Saturday. Equally with the passage of time, I won’t be clapping him either — he is after all simply an Opposition Manager now. And though I was gutted at the time when Martinez left, I reflected - after the period of mourning, and looking objectively at Martinez’ reasons - that it’s only us fans who have long term loyalty to their club ; players and managers always move on, one way or another. It’s the simple reality of football life.

But as my Team walks out against Everton in the most exciting League in the world on Saturday , I for one will give a silent and sincere appreciation to Martinez for his absolutely fundamental contribution in getting us there. Thanks Roberto - though I really hope we finally stuff your Club in a League match !!
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 23:08 - Sep 17 with 4354 viewsmonmouth

Agreed. The slimy little sh1t deserves nothing from us at all, f**k him.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 23:17 - Sep 17 with 4339 viewsSwanseajill

Good post and something I've always agreed on. I'm sure there are many other fans who are not as blinkered as many on here who can't move on from bitterness over Roberto leaving us. That's the main beef with bitter fans....they saw what he was doing with our squad...and they loved it!!

They can never forgive him for leaving us after he had formed and nurtured a squad that played fascinating football.

One small point I can't agree with is your inclusion regarding Flynn. That's my personal opinion, but nevertheless...I respect yours.

Just an edit to say this was in answer to the OP, and not to monmouths
[Post edited 17 Sep 2015 23:22]
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 23:19 - Sep 17 with 4337 viewsjack247

He left because Wigan were in the Premier League and we weren't. Don't buy all the nonsense around it. Anyone really think he would have stayed if a mid table Premier League club he had no history with had come in for him?

As for the vitriol, he will hardly get any at all. 6-7 years ago yes, not now. Very few are at all bothered by his presence, everyone is more concerned with supporting their own team, which is exactly how it should be.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 00:09 - Sep 18 with 4283 viewsChrisSCFC

Who?
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 00:39 - Sep 18 with 4258 viewsraynor94

He will get a warm round of applause from me in appreciation for what he did for my club, lifting us out of the dungeons after what seemed an eternity

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 06:25 - Sep 18 with 4179 viewswaynekerr55

Did some greatv things for the club but the man has the morals of a toad

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 06:30 - Sep 18 with 4175 viewsDr_Winston

I didn't much like the c*nt when he was manager here, as good as he was.

He's given me precious little reason to rethink that since, so I probably won't participate in the love in.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 07:25 - Sep 18 with 4130 viewsRancid

I booed him when thousands turned up on that freezing cold night in Wigan when Brend put out our seconds in the cup.The wounds were still raw then but now he's just another manager on the touchline like any other.Ive moved on and pretty sure most have also.It would be insane if we hadn't considering how well we've done since he left.I don't like him but have no malice towards him one iota.
Login to get fewer ads

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 07:26 - Sep 18 with 4130 viewsItchySphincter

He's a tw@t.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 08:01 - Sep 18 with 4072 viewsEdmundo

Ambivalent to him since we were promoted, things have seriously moved on, so any anger at the way he left us have long since gone.

Now, lets give Everton a good hiding 👍

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 08:22 - Sep 18 with 4042 viewsWhiterockin

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 07:25 - Sep 18 by Rancid

I booed him when thousands turned up on that freezing cold night in Wigan when Brend put out our seconds in the cup.The wounds were still raw then but now he's just another manager on the touchline like any other.Ive moved on and pretty sure most have also.It would be insane if we hadn't considering how well we've done since he left.I don't like him but have no malice towards him one iota.

Agreed 100%. On that evening he took the full hatred of many of us, he was visibly squirming on the touchline and found it difficult to watch the game when it was down our end. I left the stadium feeling, right he knows exactly how we feel we have made our point and can move on.

On Saturday I will ignore him, but if we were to go into a unassailable lead, I would probably join in with the chant of Roberto whats the score.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 08:31 - Sep 18 with 4025 viewsWarwickHunt

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 06:25 - Sep 18 by waynekerr55

Did some greatv things for the club but the man has the morals of a toad

Bit harsh on toads.

He's a c*nt. F*ck him.

Edit: Hmmmm - interesting debut post from the OP...
[Post edited 18 Sep 2015 8:43]
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 08:38 - Sep 18 with 4001 viewsJackanapes

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 00:39 - Sep 18 by raynor94

He will get a warm round of applause from me in appreciation for what he did for my club, lifting us out of the dungeons after what seemed an eternity

League 1 is hardly a dungeon and he didnt get us out of the Championship.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2015 8:38]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 08:43 - Sep 18 with 3989 viewsJackSomething

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 08:22 - Sep 18 by Whiterockin

Agreed 100%. On that evening he took the full hatred of many of us, he was visibly squirming on the touchline and found it difficult to watch the game when it was down our end. I left the stadium feeling, right he knows exactly how we feel we have made our point and can move on.

On Saturday I will ignore him, but if we were to go into a unassailable lead, I would probably join in with the chant of Roberto whats the score.

I concur with you and Rancid. I was in Wigan that night too and for me that was the end of the matter, we left him in no doubt how we felt. On Saturday I'll treat him the same as I do every other opposition manager; I'll ignore him unless he start's acting like a tw*t on the sideline. Which seems unlikely in his case.

As for the OP's excuse about matching ambition, sorry but I don't buy it. At the time Martinez left, our record signing was Ash at £400k. We spent another £400k that summer on making Dyer's move permanent, something which we can safely assume Martinez wanted. Having already matched our record transfer fee that summer, did Roberto really think we would spend 4 times as much on McCarthy or £1.5m on Gomez?

Let's be honest, it was nothing to do with matching ambitions. Roberto saw a shortcut to the PL and took it. If he hadn't made his ill-advised comments, then he wouldn't have taken as much flak as he has.

I agree that he more than played his part in getting us to where we are today, but that doesn't mean I'm going to accept fictional excuses for why he left.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 09:34 - Sep 18 with 3935 viewsshandyjack

problem is it's now that he left or why he left that grips me, it's the manner in which he left, taking our our Jason Scotland, majority of our backroom staff, including our scouting system, left us in the right poo and Sousa needs more credit for the job he did. It was boring football but it gave us a defence for once

Poll: Expectation for the season

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 09:35 - Sep 18 with 3935 viewsLeonisGod

The hatred's only because he's an immigrant innit

He won't get any grief on Sat - the vast majority have more sense and realise he was part of our journey. People move on, sh*t happens.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 10:33 - Sep 18 with 3874 viewsScoobyWho

He has been here so many times since he left this is pretty much a case of moving along there is nothing to see here.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 10:52 - Sep 18 with 3851 viewsmonmouth

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 08:43 - Sep 18 by JackSomething

I concur with you and Rancid. I was in Wigan that night too and for me that was the end of the matter, we left him in no doubt how we felt. On Saturday I'll treat him the same as I do every other opposition manager; I'll ignore him unless he start's acting like a tw*t on the sideline. Which seems unlikely in his case.

As for the OP's excuse about matching ambition, sorry but I don't buy it. At the time Martinez left, our record signing was Ash at £400k. We spent another £400k that summer on making Dyer's move permanent, something which we can safely assume Martinez wanted. Having already matched our record transfer fee that summer, did Roberto really think we would spend 4 times as much on McCarthy or £1.5m on Gomez?

Let's be honest, it was nothing to do with matching ambitions. Roberto saw a shortcut to the PL and took it. If he hadn't made his ill-advised comments, then he wouldn't have taken as much flak as he has.

I agree that he more than played his part in getting us to where we are today, but that doesn't mean I'm going to accept fictional excuses for why he left.

Exactly.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 10:55 - Sep 18 with 3842 viewsChrisSCFC

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 00:39 - Sep 18 by raynor94

Yeah fair point we were on the balls of our ass at the time having just lost out on promotion to the Championship via a penalty shoot out. EDIT - Then finishing 7th.

Clearly going no where.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2015 10:57]
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 11:49 - Sep 18 with 3776 viewstomdickharry

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 08:38 - Sep 18 by Jackanapes

No that fact is forgotten and the man who did better than him,Soussa was not liked by those in the corridors of power at our club.
Martinez is Judas 1.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 12:25 - Sep 18 with 3742 viewsraynor94

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 08:38 - Sep 18 by Jackanapes

Well seeing the first year I followed us we were relegated to the third division in 1965, and apart from the tosh era that's where we stayed, so I can assure you the bottom two divisions felt like the dungeon, do you remember those days

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 12:38 - Sep 18 with 3709 viewsraynor94

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 10:55 - Sep 18 by ChrisSCFC

Yeah fair point we were on the balls of our ass at the time having just lost out on promotion to the Championship via a penalty shoot out. EDIT - Then finishing 7th.

Clearly going no where.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2015 10:57]

Well we had been going nowhere for the previous twenty years, do you remember those days? I can assure you Martinez was a breath of fresh air after all those barren years

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 12:43 - Sep 18 with 3699 viewsUxbridge

The only manager I've ever been gutted to see leave.

Still wouldn't have him back though. Morals of an alleycat.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 13:19 - Sep 18 with 3654 viewsWarwickHunt

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 12:38 - Sep 18 by raynor94

Well we had been going nowhere for the previous twenty years, do you remember those days? I can assure you Martinez was a breath of fresh air after all those barren years

Yes, I can remember getting relegated to D3.

Yes, he was a breath of fresh air - he was also a venal, lying, devious, duplicitous, two-faced c*nt.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 13:24 - Sep 18 with 3643 viewsWhiterockin

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 13:19 - Sep 18 by WarwickHunt

Yes, I can remember getting relegated to D3.

Yes, he was a breath of fresh air - he was also a venal, lying, devious, duplicitous, two-faced c*nt.

Don't hold back, say what you think.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024