Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach 18:23 - Jan 17 with 32585 viewsGoth_Jack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35339215

Ride it like you stole it!

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 23:39 - Jan 17 with 3404 viewsPrivate_Partz

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 23:31 - Jan 17 by Nookiejack

Presumably he has a reasonable grasp of English if has been working as Director of Footbsll for Watford. Also you would think from that job - would have good idea of best players currently available in Europe for our budget.

This is correct. I think I read somewhere else that he can speak English. I don't get the Head Coach bit with Alan as Manager though. It should be the other way round as this guy is considerably more experienced on the managerial front. I think this is Huw not wanting to let his friend down and showing sentiment.
Still it sounds an exciting appointment and those that know of this guy all speak highly of him. Please God don't let this one falter at the last minute as the talks are still ongoing it seems.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 23:39 - Jan 17 with 3404 viewsLord_Bony

Curt n Francesco

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 23:41 - Jan 17 with 3387 viewsGlyn1

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 22:36 - Jan 17 by monmouth

Guardian see it as a desperate last throw of the dice
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/17/francesco-guidolin-swansea-city-

Personally I thing the Curt to the end of the season was the desperation act and that this move is entirely rational.

Good luck to him, but of course it's a panic move - and there's nothing wrong with a panic move if that's the logical option.

We started off with a young track-suited manager who would grow with the club (as we did with Martinez and Rodgers). We then sacked him and appointed AC as a temporary manager, and then to be the manager for the remainder of the season. After less than a month the club has now ditched that plan and instead appointed one of the oldest managers in the Premier League. Nobody would have the nerve to pretend that this is in any way planned.

But this is Swansea, it just might work!
[Post edited 17 Jan 2016 23:42]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 23:50 - Jan 17 with 3310 viewsHugeEnkins

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 23:41 - Jan 17 by Glyn1

Good luck to him, but of course it's a panic move - and there's nothing wrong with a panic move if that's the logical option.

We started off with a young track-suited manager who would grow with the club (as we did with Martinez and Rodgers). We then sacked him and appointed AC as a temporary manager, and then to be the manager for the remainder of the season. After less than a month the club has now ditched that plan and instead appointed one of the oldest managers in the Premier League. Nobody would have the nerve to pretend that this is in any way planned.

I read a post regarding him being underrated as a manager and has achieved a lot with smaller clubs. Spubs quite promising to me. He has the reputation for getting teams in the lower half of the division up to the top half which is exactly what we are looking for right now. If we can strengthen our attack and get a few results together we could move out of the shyte.
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 23:55 - Jan 17 with 3277 viewsSwanjaxs

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 23:41 - Jan 17 by Glyn1

Glyn. ... just roll with it fella, it's all we got now, a last throw of the dice you mite say... hold on to your hat 😉 next stop.... a 15 million pound striker pls Mr Jenkins 👍👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 00:00 - Jan 18 with 3259 viewsThurrockJack92

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 21:37 - Jan 17 by RevJames

Possession football is all well and good if there's an end product.

Passing the ball around back and forth in your own half is what you do when you're 2-0 and trying to close a game out

Hopefully this new chap will remind players where and when to play, oh and where the net is

I think our main problem has been confidence, both ours and our opposition's. The way I see it we haven't had the confidence to play the way we usually do and this has affected the execution of our passing game making it much less effective. This in turn has given our opposition the confidence to press us much more because they know we can't cut straight through them if they do, making our passing game much less effective.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2016 0:07]
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 00:04 - Jan 18 with 3230 viewsHugeEnkins

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 00:00 - Jan 18 by ThurrockJack92

I think our main problem has been confidence, both ours and our opposition's. The way I see it we haven't had the confidence to play the way we usually do and this has affected the execution of our passing game making it much less effective. This in turn has given our opposition the confidence to press us much more because they know we can't cut straight through them if they do, making our passing game much less effective.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2016 0:07]

Yes definitely. The lack of confidence is visible through the entire team bar, perhaps, a few. We aren't playing to Gomis' strengths and are suffering in the final 3rd. A fresh perspective and new ideas are what we desperately need.
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 00:53 - Jan 18 with 3070 viewsskippyjack

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 19:01 - Jan 17 by BLAZE

I don't see why people are annoyed over this. There's been plenty of calls for a more experienced head alongside Curt, and now we look to have it

Curt with his experience of the British game and Guido with his tactical nouse and bags of experience in Italy

I suspect this will be a short term deal to see us through the season where we can then re-assess and restart the search in the summer, hopefully as a highly attractive Premier League team

I feel more confident now than I did a few hours ago, that a for sure. I'm sure this guy will have a few targets too

It's not only his tactical nous.. its his player development..

He's developed the likes of

Handanovic - plays for Inter now
Zapata - plays for Milan
Isla - who plays for Marseille
Cuadrado - who plays for Juve
Sanchez - Arsenal
Basta - Lazio
Turned Di Natale into a goal machine
Benatia - Bayern Munich
Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu
Kwadwo Asamoah - Juventus
Gokhan Inler - Leicester
Roberto Pereyra - Juventus
Allan - Napoli
Luis Muriel - Sampdoria
Silvan Widmer - Udinese
Odion Ighalo - Watford
Ambrosini
Coco
Bjorklund
Otero
Signori
Di Vaio
Maicon

He's been Watford's adviser recently an all

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Login to get fewer ads

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 01:14 - Jan 18 with 3015 viewsGriffting

Plus if worst comes to worst he's apparently a promotion expert, taken a couple of teams up when he had pretty much no right and helped palermo bounce straight back up after a shock relegation as well. Don't want to think about that but i think the board might be.
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 03:24 - Jan 18 with 2891 viewsTheKirkyLife

Following up on my 3-5-2 post, with our current resources I imagined it to look something like this...

---FABIANSKI---
---AMAT---WILLIAMS---FERNANDEZ---
NAUGHTON---SIGURDSSON---CORK---BRITTON---TAYLOR
---GOMIS/BARROW---AYEW---

Think more Wing-Backs than Wingers. It could be why all of a sudden we're quite interesting in offloading Montero for a start for £10 million+. I imagine it's also why Ayew has been linked away. As good a player as he is I'm not entirely convinced he would fit into this system.

Obviously we're also looking at Doumbia for Gomis, Eder away on loan for a year before selling him on and reportedly De Guzman or/and Allen could be joining alongside Sinclair...all of a sudden the team looks like this.

---FABIANSKI---
---AMAT---WILLIAMS---FERNANDEZ
---NAUGHTON---CORK---SIGURDSSON---ALLEN/DE GUZMAN---TAYLOR
---BARROW---DOUMBIA---

Bench: Nordfeldt, Bartley/New CB, Rangel, Ki/Britton/Grimes, Sinclair
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 05:49 - Jan 18 with 2824 viewsRuDeMan1970

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 19:57 - Jan 17 by treboethjack

Francesco wooh,
Francesco wooh,
he came from Italy,
to rescue s'wansea

I like this, however the last line I'd have as "To Rescue Swansea C" (similar to the Leicester fans' chant of "To Manage Leicester C" when praising Claudio Ranieri).
It's late. I'm coming to the end of my night shift. I need my bed.

..."who will guard the guards..?"

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 06:29 - Jan 18 with 2779 viewsDr_Winston

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 20:03 - Jan 17 by dailew

TBF we don't know everything that's been going on behind the scenes (unless you are ITK !!).

Sometimes things simply don't go as smoothly as you would have wanted.

Doesn't much matter what's gone on behind the scenes. To take six weeks to replace a manager, and a manager who probably should have got the chop at least two weeks before that in the first place, is inexcusable.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 08:23 - Jan 18 with 2585 viewscostalotta

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 20:56 - Jan 17 by Glyn1

You're absolutely right that none of us have any idea about him, especially me because I've never heard of him, and that doesn't inspire much confidence. If he was exceptionally good then he would have been mentioned several weeks ago.

How do his teams play? Can he speak English? Why wasn't he good enough for Watford?

And has he actually signed for us?
[Post edited 17 Jan 2016 20:57]

That's your confidence though, and thus your issue.

I don't know you and whats you hearing go to do with anything anyway? And with respect your confidence doesn't come in to it. Fact is he is a proven manager. You don't work for nearly all in serie a, 31 years. He has experience obviously, but it's his tactical nous and his phychological management that will improve our form. He managed to persuade apparently weaker players to overcome all the odds and gain very respectable finishes in his native Italy.

Ok. He may not be bielsa or sampaoli et al. And he's definitely no monk! But he does the qualities we need right now. It's a great appointment given the circumstances.
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 08:43 - Jan 18 with 2530 viewsJackanapes

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 06:29 - Jan 18 by Dr_Winston

Doesn't much matter what's gone on behind the scenes. To take six weeks to replace a manager, and a manager who probably should have got the chop at least two weeks before that in the first place, is inexcusable.

Two whole weeks! Mama Mia as Guidolin might say. As regards the six week spell, we didnt do dreadfully in that period either..... and now we have a manager, so naturally everything is going to be ok now.....(receding footsteps, door slam, car engine, plane engine)
[Post edited 18 Jan 2016 8:47]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 08:43 - Jan 18 with 2517 viewsVetchitBack

Strange time for negativity Glyn very strange

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 08:52 - Jan 18 with 2488 viewsSwaneeRiver

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 00:53 - Jan 18 by skippyjack

It's not only his tactical nous.. its his player development..

He's developed the likes of

Handanovic - plays for Inter now
Zapata - plays for Milan
Isla - who plays for Marseille
Cuadrado - who plays for Juve
Sanchez - Arsenal
Basta - Lazio
Turned Di Natale into a goal machine
Benatia - Bayern Munich
Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu
Kwadwo Asamoah - Juventus
Gokhan Inler - Leicester
Roberto Pereyra - Juventus
Allan - Napoli
Luis Muriel - Sampdoria
Silvan Widmer - Udinese
Odion Ighalo - Watford
Ambrosini
Coco
Bjorklund
Otero
Signori
Di Vaio
Maicon

He's been Watford's adviser recently an all

As I can't claim to know anything about this guy, that is a mighty impressive list of players he's developed.
Can't wait for him to start work - hope he's introduced to the players today and begins informal work
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 08:57 - Jan 18 with 2462 viewsirememberivor

If this appointment had been made as soon as Garry Monk left, we would be purring. Guidolin`s pedigree is outstanding not only in his management successes at small unfashionable clubs with small budgets, but in his development of players, too.

So let`s forget the feeling that this is an uncharacteristic panic move from the Board (even if it is), and celebrate the appointment of a top class coach/manager to the club.

I know Curt well, and he will undoubtedly welcome this appointment rather than see it as a sign of failure. He is, after all, STID, as we all should be.
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 09:05 - Jan 18 with 2425 viewslovejuicejack

Spot on imo and I for one am very happy with this signing and the board have rightly taken a lot of stick but they should be congratulated on this positive move in our fight for survival.
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 09:12 - Jan 18 with 2383 viewsjasonbromham

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 08:57 - Jan 18 by irememberivor

If this appointment had been made as soon as Garry Monk left, we would be purring. Guidolin`s pedigree is outstanding not only in his management successes at small unfashionable clubs with small budgets, but in his development of players, too.

So let`s forget the feeling that this is an uncharacteristic panic move from the Board (even if it is), and celebrate the appointment of a top class coach/manager to the club.

I know Curt well, and he will undoubtedly welcome this appointment rather than see it as a sign of failure. He is, after all, STID, as we all should be.

I can't help but feel that if we are looking to play 3-5-2 then we need to be looking at 2 wing backs. Rangel is getting to old to get up and down the pitch & we all know what Taylor's attacking is like. The idea of wing backs is to be able to get up and down the pitch & deliver good balls into the box. I think Naughton could probably adapt to this though.

Looking at Guidolin's previous strikers they are all quick! I'm sure he is going to love seeing bafe's workrate haha!
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 09:20 - Jan 18 with 2353 viewsSwaneeRiver

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 09:12 - Jan 18 by jasonbromham

I can't help but feel that if we are looking to play 3-5-2 then we need to be looking at 2 wing backs. Rangel is getting to old to get up and down the pitch & we all know what Taylor's attacking is like. The idea of wing backs is to be able to get up and down the pitch & deliver good balls into the box. I think Naughton could probably adapt to this though.

Looking at Guidolin's previous strikers they are all quick! I'm sure he is going to love seeing bafe's workrate haha!

Any chance you're related to the motocycle guy from Skewen ?
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 09:31 - Jan 18 with 2306 viewsClinton

3 5 2. Difficult to do in the Premier league. He'll be pragmatic, im sure. Excited about the rest of the season.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 09:40 - Jan 18 with 2271 viewsBloodyhills

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 19:41 - Jan 17 by dailew

He took Udinese (from a much smaller city than Swansea) to a 3rd and 5th finish in Serie A.

Says "work alongside Alan Curtis".

Sounds like exactly what we want and lots of people have been calling out for.

Feel more confident about our chances of avoiding relegation.
Something has to change and hopefully this appointment will breathe some life into our jaded looking squad.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 09:55 - Jan 18 with 2205 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Good appointment ,fresh ideas, a bit late but there you go .

Just a striker in now hopefully today and then we can kick on .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 10:03 - Jan 18 with 2151 viewsJACKARSE

Who is he ...........

http://sport.bt.com/who-is-swanseas-new-head-coach-francesco-guidolin-9136403416
Francesco Guidolin: Swansea City to appoint new head coach on 10:08 - Jan 18 with 2121 viewsTitan_Uranus

I ve got to admit to feeling chuffed when i saw this even though i thought Curtis was doing ok under the circumstances. Performaces had definately improved and despite the result against Sunderland all the players looked 100% committed and no ones heads dropped despite the shocking decisions. One of the big problems has been that some of the other strugglers have started to put results together. We really need 3 points later
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024