Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 22:37 - Feb 23 with 5939 viewsenfieldargh

Forgettable first half virtually nothing to report.

Second half much more open.

MOM Alex smithies penalty save, toazer actually doing something positive with a well taken goal and the sub referee not awarding Sheffield with a stonewall penalty at the death.

Highs, smithies, Angella and hall central pairing, el kabong causing problems second half, Connor Washington non stop running although he hardly got given the ball.

Luongo pretty anonymous, Henry solid but can only go sideways or back, Phillips still not tracking back and some wayward shooting when maybe another touch would have given him better chances to score. Toazer did score so hats off to him but pretty ineffective

Mackie came on for around last 15 mins and I don't think he actually touched the ball. BFG some good through balls and does worry defenders

One thing though you cannot fault any of the players for lack of effort and non stop running on a big pitch.

Samba diakite did threaten a few times but fortunately none got in the way of his warm up

captains fantastic
Poll: SWEET F'IN CAROLINE. Played every half time

Just back on 22:42 - Feb 23 with 4651 viewsconnell10

Sounds ok mate, im well pleased with a draw. If we can start turning these draws into wins next season we will have a good championship team. The big bonus is we aint losing many games which is a solid base on which to build.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Just back on 22:49 - Feb 23 with 4596 viewsmakaveli1882

Just back on 22:42 - Feb 23 by connell10

Sounds ok mate, im well pleased with a draw. If we can start turning these draws into wins next season we will have a good championship team. The big bonus is we aint losing many games which is a solid base on which to build.

How did you get the impression it sounds Ok from thst report? .....sounds like the usual sh1t we have witnessed over the last few months!!
Just back on 22:58 - Feb 23 with 4537 viewsPunteR

Just back on 22:49 - Feb 23 by makaveli1882

How did you get the impression it sounds Ok from thst report? .....sounds like the usual sh1t we have witnessed over the last few months!!

Good result...

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Just back on 23:06 - Feb 23 with 4468 viewsconnell10

Because me old mucker S W aint a bad championship side and i aint got delusions of grandeur like you! Quite what some of fans expect is beyond me.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Just back on 23:09 - Feb 23 with 4443 viewsenfieldargh

It was pretty shite but not a shite as before.

Desperate for Faurlin and another passer in central mid, oh and two full backs a couple of decent wingers and another striker

captains fantastic

Just back on 23:12 - Feb 23 with 4381 viewsdaveB

What did you expect from tonight? I read plenty of here expecting a very heavy defeat, when i saw the team I expected the same but we've battled in a tough game to get a draw. Pretty good effort by the sound of it
Just back on 23:13 - Feb 23 with 4381 viewsthemodfather

well done all who went..near of far, well done. good point v a top 6 team, imo i felt with our poor record there we would cop a hiding but 1-1 nad took the lead, wahey!
Just back on 23:43 - Feb 23 with 4257 viewsBoston

Nobody else concerned about how fast Enfield must drive?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 23:46 - Feb 23 with 4231 viewsFredManRave

Just back on 23:43 - Feb 23 by Boston

Maybe Les gave him a lift?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Just back on 00:15 - Feb 24 with 4147 viewsMoonshineSteve

Just back too. Well, back in my hotel.

Can't argue with op's comments. I'd have taken that result if offered before the game. Team all worked hard tonight.

Good to see my boy too, studying in Sheffield.

Phillips' shooting is ridiculous though. We had to duck, in the upper tier.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Just back on 00:17 - Feb 24 with 4142 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Just back on 00:15 - Feb 24 by MoonshineSteve

Can't argue with op's comments. I'd have taken that result if offered before the game. Team all worked hard tonight.

Sounds like a great excuse to visit your son mate. Mines at Southampton, unfortunately a year too late!!
Just back on 00:21 - Feb 24 with 4124 viewsMoonshineSteve

I've got another son at Winchester so Southampton would've worked for me too. Oh well.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Just back on 00:50 - Feb 24 with 4039 viewsBoston

Just back on 00:21 - Feb 24 by MoonshineSteve

I've got another son at Winchester so Southampton would've worked for me too. Oh well.

The son never sets on the Dagenham Empire.

Just back on 01:38 - Feb 24 with 3939 viewsmoffer

Just back on 00:15 - Feb 24 by MoonshineSteve

I'd agree about Philips. He had 4 or 5 chances to do something but always chose the long range shot, and they were all unfortunately misfires. Henry put himself about a bit, perfect sort of match for his 'talents' really, and Toszer had a fine shot, and that was it, bloody cold. Oh, and first tine I'd seen Smithies, looked a solid keeper.
Locals were friendly and I was able to park on the pavement literally across the street from the ground!
Just back on 01:57 - Feb 24 with 3919 viewsFDC

Encouraging to hear that the work rate was good despite getting tonked by Fulham the other week.
Just back on 01:57 - Feb 24 with 3919 viewsBoston

Just back on 01:38 - Feb 24 by moffer

I'd agree about Philips. He had 4 or 5 chances to do something but always chose the long range shot, and they were all unfortunately misfires. Henry put himself about a bit, perfect sort of match for his 'talents' really, and Toszer had a fine shot, and that was it, bloody cold. Oh, and first tine I'd seen Smithies, looked a solid keeper.
Locals were friendly and I was able to park on the pavement literally across the street from the ground!

Parking...you were there real early? A couple of seasons ago I turned up with plenty of time to spare and was also pointed to a spot right across from the ground on a scrubby patch just beside the pavement. Bingo thinks I. Also a big bonus that the two Rangers buses pulled away right in front of me, so I was able to follow 'em when heading home...well,'till we hit the motorway.

Just back on 05:30 - Feb 24 with 3775 viewsFDC

What did people think of the new boys, DC aka Washington, and Beastie Boy aka The Karate Kid aka El Khayati? And how did Perch do at left back, poor sod?
Just back on 06:14 - Feb 24 with 3702 viewsenfieldargh

Just back on 23:43 - Feb 23 by Boston

Actually I took the super tram and then walked, bloody good service.

Tram £2.30
Hot chocolate £2.30
Sandwich in supbermarket £2.30

(Staying in hotel on business)

captains fantastic

Just back on 06:42 - Feb 24 with 3648 viewsGloucs_R

What formation did we play and who played left back, wing?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Just back on 11:14 - Feb 24 with 2977 viewsdaveB

Just back on 06:42 - Feb 24 by Gloucs_R

What formation did we play and who played left back, wing?

Perch was left back, sounded like 4-5-1
Just back on 14:18 - Feb 24 with 2713 viewsNeil_SI

It was a solid point for us in the end.

I liked what I saw of Sheffield Wednesday. They had decent players all over the park, who looked comfortable on the ball and who understood their roles and responsibilities to each other.

We were a little bit flat in the first half, but we'd set out to contain them and we largely achieved that, even if they didn't make the most of the opportunities they had. They got the ball into good areas, but they didn't quite find the end product to penetrate properly.

In the second, it was more open. Both teams were adventurous and tried to go forward. We didn't quite ignite, but that's also probably because we didn't want to be exposed too much on the counter attack. Nevertheless, we created some good moments that we might have done better with, but a point was probably a fair result in the end and we have to be happy with that given that we also conceded a penalty.

Formation wise, in the first half we played a 4-5-1 with Luongo supporting Washington from midfield, but in the second, it was a little more like 4-3-3, with more support coming from the wide players.
Just back on 14:38 - Feb 24 with 2661 viewsisawqpratwcity

Just back on 14:18 - Feb 24 by Neil_SI

It was a solid point for us in the end.

I liked what I saw of Sheffield Wednesday. They had decent players all over the park, who looked comfortable on the ball and who understood their roles and responsibilities to each other.

We were a little bit flat in the first half, but we'd set out to contain them and we largely achieved that, even if they didn't make the most of the opportunities they had. They got the ball into good areas, but they didn't quite find the end product to penetrate properly.

In the second, it was more open. Both teams were adventurous and tried to go forward. We didn't quite ignite, but that's also probably because we didn't want to be exposed too much on the counter attack. Nevertheless, we created some good moments that we might have done better with, but a point was probably a fair result in the end and we have to be happy with that given that we also conceded a penalty.

Formation wise, in the first half we played a 4-5-1 with Luongo supporting Washington from midfield, but in the second, it was a little more like 4-3-3, with more support coming from the wide players.

How did you like the player selection, particularly in regard to formation?

When the line-up was announced, there were several comments on the match thread about JFH using Harry's 'tombola', ie, naming players apparently at random.

With relegation a receding prospect, I think that while risk is low, JFH should be experimenting with players, positions and formations.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Just back on 14:53 - Feb 24 with 2632 viewsNeil_SI

Just back on 14:38 - Feb 24 by isawqpratwcity

How did you like the player selection, particularly in regard to formation?

When the line-up was announced, there were several comments on the match thread about JFH using Harry's 'tombola', ie, naming players apparently at random.

With relegation a receding prospect, I think that while risk is low, JFH should be experimenting with players, positions and formations.

I was fine with it, it seemed quite defensive from the outset, and perhaps had we played the entire match like we did in the first half, then you would have come away feeling a bit irritated in terms wanting them to show more ambition.

But the game plan clearly was to try and contain them initially and then grow into the game from there, which we did quite well and to good effect.

It's always a risk when you have to juggle the back four around like we did, but I was reasonably confident it would be ok. Perch did fine at left back, which I thought might be the case. He is a versatile player and sometimes right footed players like him can benefit being left side, as it improves your passing options and choices. When he cuts inside he has the whole field to play into on his strongest foot, and he played some lovely switch balls out to Phillips from there. And while Onuoha isn't a right back, he has played there plenty of times before, so you know what you will get from him in that role.

Wednesday are a handful to deal with, especially in midfield, so it made sense to thicken it to try and make it hard for them in there. Obviously that gave us a problem in terms of how we cleared our lines, because we put too many balls in the air for Washington to contest, and they were easily gobbled up by Wednesday's towering centre-backs.

Second half we tried to offer more support to Washington. We didn't quite get it right, but we broke well on the counter attack and enjoyed some good moments. It was a tough ask for him up top on his own, but he stuck to the task and didn't get frustrated, which is a good sign.

There's plenty to work on and try to improve on, as in, we need to find him in areas of the pitch that play into his strengths. On the rare occasions we did get him the ball to feet and with a chance to turn and drive at the defence, he looked a threat and caused problems (winning a fair few free kicks) but that was still too few and far between overall.

Otherwise, we got the ball in wide areas a lot, but were perhaps a little bit guilty of not getting quality balls into the box and runners supporting the play. There were more chances to do that, and one of them led to a terrific goal for Tozser — a really well taken finish from supporting the original ball into the box. Phillips also had one of those days where his end product or decision making was off, but while we'll have many complaining about that, it was no different to say Aiden McGeady for them, who got into plenty of good positions but couldn't beat the first man or get his ball into the box cleanly... so it scuppered their chances in the same way.

We did lack a little bit of incisiveness in the middle of the park, where we could have perhaps tried to play it a bit more, and put our foot on the ball. But then we didn't have Faurlin on the pitch and Tozser is still finding his way after some up and down performances. I really hope his goal gives him the confidence to kick on.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2016 14:55]
Just back on 15:11 - Feb 24 with 2576 viewsisawqpratwcity

Just back on 14:53 - Feb 24 by Neil_SI

I was fine with it, it seemed quite defensive from the outset, and perhaps had we played the entire match like we did in the first half, then you would have come away feeling a bit irritated in terms wanting them to show more ambition.

But the game plan clearly was to try and contain them initially and then grow into the game from there, which we did quite well and to good effect.

It's always a risk when you have to juggle the back four around like we did, but I was reasonably confident it would be ok. Perch did fine at left back, which I thought might be the case. He is a versatile player and sometimes right footed players like him can benefit being left side, as it improves your passing options and choices. When he cuts inside he has the whole field to play into on his strongest foot, and he played some lovely switch balls out to Phillips from there. And while Onuoha isn't a right back, he has played there plenty of times before, so you know what you will get from him in that role.

Wednesday are a handful to deal with, especially in midfield, so it made sense to thicken it to try and make it hard for them in there. Obviously that gave us a problem in terms of how we cleared our lines, because we put too many balls in the air for Washington to contest, and they were easily gobbled up by Wednesday's towering centre-backs.

Second half we tried to offer more support to Washington. We didn't quite get it right, but we broke well on the counter attack and enjoyed some good moments. It was a tough ask for him up top on his own, but he stuck to the task and didn't get frustrated, which is a good sign.

There's plenty to work on and try to improve on, as in, we need to find him in areas of the pitch that play into his strengths. On the rare occasions we did get him the ball to feet and with a chance to turn and drive at the defence, he looked a threat and caused problems (winning a fair few free kicks) but that was still too few and far between overall.

Otherwise, we got the ball in wide areas a lot, but were perhaps a little bit guilty of not getting quality balls into the box and runners supporting the play. There were more chances to do that, and one of them led to a terrific goal for Tozser — a really well taken finish from supporting the original ball into the box. Phillips also had one of those days where his end product or decision making was off, but while we'll have many complaining about that, it was no different to say Aiden McGeady for them, who got into plenty of good positions but couldn't beat the first man or get his ball into the box cleanly... so it scuppered their chances in the same way.

We did lack a little bit of incisiveness in the middle of the park, where we could have perhaps tried to play it a bit more, and put our foot on the ball. But then we didn't have Faurlin on the pitch and Tozser is still finding his way after some up and down performances. I really hope his goal gives him the confidence to kick on.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2016 14:55]

Cheers for that. Some very nice observations and analysis. I especially liked

"a terrific goal for Tozser — a really well taken finish from supporting the original ball into the box". It was a well struck ball, but that it came from a coherent team plan makes it even sweeter.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Just back on 16:40 - Feb 24 with 2491 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks for the comments, folks. Much appreciated.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024