Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Away Attendance 18:20 - Feb 26 with 8906 viewsDannyG_RAFC

Whats our biggest attendances away from home apart from 17000 at Wembley ?
Away Attendance on 18:34 - Feb 26 with 7711 views442Dale

Man Utd 1986: approx 10k
Crystal Palace 1990: between 4-5k
Liverpool 1996: approx 6k
Wolves 2003: approx 3200
Bury 2008: approx 3k
Darlington play-offs 2008: approx 2700

All rough guesses from memory.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Away Attendance on 18:40 - Feb 26 with 7692 viewsBURYFC_1885

Rochdale fixtures at Gigg Lane in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 season attracted away followings of around 2,800... with total crowds around 6,500 and 7,500. Both League Two fixtures.

What happened? Rochdale have taken at least 1,572 (2015) as their best following to Gigg Lane in the last 8 years since.
Away Attendance on 18:55 - Feb 26 with 7655 views442Dale

Away Attendance on 18:40 - Feb 26 by BURYFC_1885

Rochdale fixtures at Gigg Lane in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 season attracted away followings of around 2,800... with total crowds around 6,500 and 7,500. Both League Two fixtures.

What happened? Rochdale have taken at least 1,572 (2015) as their best following to Gigg Lane in the last 8 years since.

Many had collected enough batteries by the turn of the decade that they were opening shops selling them and couldn't get to away games.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Away Attendance on 19:00 - Feb 26 with 7640 viewsfirgrovedale51

Away Attendance on 18:34 - Feb 26 by 442Dale

Man Utd 1986: approx 10k
Crystal Palace 1990: between 4-5k
Liverpool 1996: approx 6k
Wolves 2003: approx 3200
Bury 2008: approx 3k
Darlington play-offs 2008: approx 2700

All rough guesses from memory.

At the time the attendance at Man United was I believe given as 13,000 and I also believe it is the record for away support in Old Trafford ( when United are the home team)
Away Attendance on 19:05 - Feb 26 with 7601 viewsShun

Calling RAFCBLUE.
Away Attendance on 19:39 - Feb 26 with 7480 viewsTVOS1907

2007/08 - last away game, still in with a chance of automatic promotion and, most likely, play-offs

2008/09 - both teams in the top 3/4

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Away Attendance on 20:17 - Feb 26 with 7379 viewsmingthemerciless

There were plenty at Halifax for that game in the first promotion season when a win would have meant the dale went up. The official gate at The Shay that night was - 17,186 ! There must have been 6,000 or 7,000 from Rochdale.
Away Attendance on 20:24 - Feb 26 with 7365 viewsD_Alien

Away Attendance on 20:17 - Feb 26 by mingthemerciless

There were plenty at Halifax for that game in the first promotion season when a win would have meant the dale went up. The official gate at The Shay that night was - 17,186 ! There must have been 6,000 or 7,000 from Rochdale.

Good shout that - probably our highest away following for a football league game

Although not in the records because fans were all mixed together, but might never be beaten for that same reason - segregation has reduced capacity for away fans

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Away Attendance on 20:25 - Feb 26 with 7361 viewssince58

Away Attendance on 20:17 - Feb 26 by mingthemerciless

The traffic over Blackstonedge that night was bumper to bumper.
Away Attendance on 07:59 - Feb 27 with 7082 viewsEllDale

I vividly remember that Halifax game.
Over 13000 had been at Spotland the previous Wednesday when the two teams had met there.
Over 30000 in eight days!
I went on Ellen Smiths and there so many coaches that they parked them all in the bus garage near the Shay.
I remember that Chris Harker had a good game that night; we couldn't cope with their centre half Chris Nicholl at setpieces to show that some things don't change. Reg was trying to mark him but had to settle for spoiling jumps rather challenging for the ball directly.
It took longer to get home. Or seemed to............
Away Attendance on 08:47 - Feb 27 with 7020 viewsmingthemerciless

I went over on the train. No problem getting there or back. Ended up getting a last pint or three in that pub on the corner of Tweedale St and Milkstone Rd that closed a few years ago. In those days if you fancied going to a game you just turned up, paid a the gate and stood wherever you felt like.
I've no doubt all this segregation and all ticket games for away fans has hurt attendances.

A pal of mine would come round to my house and say" I've just been down to Ellen Smiths, they running a coach tonight to Burnley v Wolves, Blackburn v Spurs etc, I just got two tickets, get your coat we're going ! "

As for the game it was pretty drab. The Shay was a small pitch and Halifax had a guy playing who could throw the ball from one touch line to the other so every throw in was like a corner. It was like head tennis for most of the game and Halifax were better at it. I think big Bill Atkins played for them up front and him and Chris Nicholl were a real handful.
Away Attendance on 09:11 - Feb 27 with 6988 viewsNigeriamark

Away Attendance on 08:47 - Feb 27 by mingthemerciless

I went over on the train. No problem getting there or back. Ended up getting a last pint or three in that pub on the corner of Tweedale St and Milkstone Rd that closed a few years ago. In those days if you fancied going to a game you just turned up, paid a the gate and stood wherever you felt like.
I've no doubt all this segregation and all ticket games for away fans has hurt attendances.

A pal of mine would come round to my house and say" I've just been down to Ellen Smiths, they running a coach tonight to Burnley v Wolves, Blackburn v Spurs etc, I just got two tickets, get your coat we're going ! "

As for the game it was pretty drab. The Shay was a small pitch and Halifax had a guy playing who could throw the ball from one touch line to the other so every throw in was like a corner. It was like head tennis for most of the game and Halifax were better at it. I think big Bill Atkins played for them up front and him and Chris Nicholl were a real handful.

15+ Consecutive years of dross was probably the real reason for crowds getting close to 1,000 at times. Our ground looks fairly empty once you drop below 2,000. Imagine how some of those crowds would look in our current stadium across 4 sides !!
Away Attendance on 14:38 - Feb 27 with 6783 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Away Attendance on 08:47 - Feb 27 by mingthemerciless

It`s a pity Atkins wasn`t a thorn in the oppositions side when he played for us. But then again he wasn`t that bad, just reached the end of his career. Rochdale was the place for older players to finish their careers in those days. Halifax home and away were fantastic atmospheres, as were most games around that time.
Away Attendance on 16:29 - Feb 27 with 6635 viewsDaleiLama

[Post edited 27 Feb 2018 16:30]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Away Attendance on 16:41 - Feb 27 with 6604 viewsEllDale

The Halifax goal in the game at the Shay was scored by Les Massie.

Years later I found myself in a pub there after I'd moved to Halifax and found myself playing dominoes with him! Really nice bloke.

He worked as a labourer in a Halifax engineering works after he finished playing which is something else that wouldn't happen these days!
Away Attendance on 19:10 - Feb 27 with 6475 viewsmingthemerciless

Yeah that's how it was then. I remember bumping in to Stan Milburn pushing a sack truck across the warehouse floor at TBA shortly after I'd been cheering him on up at Spotland.
Away Attendance on 12:21 - Mar 17 with 6011 viewsEllDale

Unfortunately I have to report that I was told that Massie in now suffering from an advanced form of dementia. Doesn't remember a thing about that night at the Shay.
Sad to learn.
Away Attendance on 12:37 - Mar 17 with 5968 viewsRAFCBLUE

Away Attendance on 19:05 - Feb 26 by Shun

Calling RAFCBLUE.

Isn’t it obvious Shun?

The missing fans have been savaged by convenience!

It’s a fair challenge from a local rival - 5,000 to London, Wembley (220 Miles each way) on a bitterly cold week day.

bury (a) (5 Miles each way) on the Tuesday after Easter will be 1,500 ish

3,500 “missing”....

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Away Attendance on 12:37 - Mar 17 with 5968 viewsFalingeParka

Thinking about what current League One players, on our paygrade at least, will do after football. Not straightforward is it?

ColonelHall

Away Attendance on 23:35 - Mar 18 with 5647 viewsmikehunt

"The Shay was a small pitch" did someone say? Or did it simply look far away because we had to view it from beyond the speedway track that circled the pitch?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Away Attendance on 07:46 - Mar 19 with 5489 viewsEllDale

I know that the dimensions of the current Shay pitch are larger than those of Wembley BUT there is no speedway track there now. You have to think that it was narrower in those days.
Away Attendance on 18:55 - Mar 19 with 5288 viewsdavidab2202

Away Attendance on 19:10 - Feb 27 by mingthemerciless

Yeah that's how it was then. I remember bumping in to Stan Milburn pushing a sack truck across the warehouse floor at TBA shortly after I'd been cheering him on up at Spotland.

Didn't Ted Burgin drive a dustbin cart around Rochdale after he retired or am I just losing my memory?
Away Attendance on 07:54 - Mar 20 with 5186 viewsEllDale

I used to see Derek Ryder when he was a brewery rep. I think he later became a landscape gardener.
And I know that Billy Rudd became a painter and decorator in Bury. Chris Harker was a school caretaker back in the North East.
Away Attendance on 09:55 - Mar 20 with 5125 viewsD_Alien

Away Attendance on 07:54 - Mar 20 by EllDale

I used to see Derek Ryder when he was a brewery rep. I think he later became a landscape gardener.
And I know that Billy Rudd became a painter and decorator in Bury. Chris Harker was a school caretaker back in the North East.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Norman Whitehead became a school caretaker too

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Away Attendance on 08:31 - Mar 21 with 4919 viewsDorislove

Didnt want to start another thread so put this in here

893 (52 away) Morecambe v Colchester last night ,How low can crowds get ?
Whats the lowest league crowd in recent history .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024