Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
January Window 20:38 - Dec 26 with 8615 viewsisitme

With the sale of Cannon and the potential sale of McGahey. What business do you expect/like to see done in the January transfer window?

Norman, Randall and Clough to go back to their parent clubs at the end of their loans. Wilbraham to have his contract cancelled by mutual consent.

A centre half to come in on loan if McGahey leaves and another striker to replace Wilbraham.
January Window on 16:55 - Dec 27 with 2714 viewsYorkshire_Dale

January Window on 23:11 - Dec 26 by Thacks_Rabbits

It’s ok saying mutual for Wilbraham but why would he want to go? Paying off a contact normally involves about 50% of potential earnings until end of contract, so assuming he is on around 3k a week plus bonus that’s around 50k, if he is contracted until July.

If he can get a club, on a decent wage or longer contract (Salford for example) we may have a bit t of room to work, but if no offers come in and he wants, or needs a wage, he can sit on his arse earning.

Not his fault, though someone is!

Wilbraham's recruitment has been an absolute disaster........apart from his wondergoal (which unfortunately did n't win us anything) he has done or offered nothing. Playing up front with Calvin was a mess.

Surely he will never figure in a Dale team again and I include the Ckeckatrade!

Just hope as Thacks says we get shut and we don't have to drip away much needed lolly till the end of June.
January Window on 16:58 - Dec 27 with 2713 viewsSuddenLad

January Window on 16:46 - Dec 27 by D_Alien

Yep, so can't be part of any deal, but Hilly may fancy taking him on again since he's doing nowt at Scunny. I wouldn't say no

I would imagine that he would be released by Fulham at the end of the season. He's hardly been 'prolific' in any of his loan spells. There's a player in there for sure, but no-one seems to have been able to tap into his talent effectively. He's been a bit of a figure of derision for Scunny fans of late.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

January Window on 17:04 - Dec 27 with 2686 viewsThacks_Rabbits

January Window on 16:47 - Dec 27 by EllDale

Swap for McArdle!?

Surprised this has only just been mentioned as thought that as soon as the HM rumour came out.

We get McArdle with wages paid or hugely subsidised, as they don’t want him and he will add experience and leadership to our squad. They get HM who they want, get rid of Mccardle, probably pay 300k or so with large sell on/survival/appearance clauses.

Obviously we will never know as it will be undisclosed fee, but it would not shock me in the slightest if this happens.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

January Window on 17:27 - Dec 27 with 2605 viewsdawlishdale

January Window on 17:04 - Dec 27 by Thacks_Rabbits

Surprised this has only just been mentioned as thought that as soon as the HM rumour came out.

We get McArdle with wages paid or hugely subsidised, as they don’t want him and he will add experience and leadership to our squad. They get HM who they want, get rid of Mccardle, probably pay 300k or so with large sell on/survival/appearance clauses.

Obviously we will never know as it will be undisclosed fee, but it would not shock me in the slightest if this happens.

I mentioned it on the McGahey thread, which is lower down the board, but it had certainly crossed my mind. Not something I'd want, given the comments about his howlers this season, which, ironically, is exactly why Scunny are looking to sign someone better i.e McGahey.
January Window on 18:36 - Dec 27 with 2479 viewsShun

January Window on 16:41 - Dec 27 by SuddenLad

Humphrys is only on loan to Scunny from Fulham

Indeed, but there could be a deal where we take over his loan from Scunthorpe, with all 3 clubs agreeing, as Chelsea are looking to do with Higuain and Juve/AC Milan.

Humphrys isn’t having the best season but he’s different to any other forward we have, and I’d much prefer to have him back than McArdle who, by all accounts, seems to have regressed to the player who partnered John Boardman.
January Window on 18:50 - Dec 27 with 2439 viewsrkershaw

January Window on 18:36 - Dec 27 by Shun

Indeed, but there could be a deal where we take over his loan from Scunthorpe, with all 3 clubs agreeing, as Chelsea are looking to do with Higuain and Juve/AC Milan.

Humphrys isn’t having the best season but he’s different to any other forward we have, and I’d much prefer to have him back than McArdle who, by all accounts, seems to have regressed to the player who partnered John Boardman.

Any more rumours of Chris Long (Fleetwood Town) heading this way in the transfer window??
January Window on 18:54 - Dec 27 with 2425 viewsSuddenLad

January Window on 18:36 - Dec 27 by Shun

I certainly wouldn't be sorry to see him back here. As for McCardle, it wouldn't be good for the nerves watching him and McNulty 'double dithering' at the back. Perish the thought...

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

January Window on 19:19 - Dec 27 with 2366 viewsDaleiLama

It's a no from me on Humphrys. For a big man (like Alby) muscled off the ball too often.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Login to get fewer ads

January Window on 10:19 - Dec 28 with 2079 viewsdingdangblue

January Window on 19:19 - Dec 27 by DaleiLama

It's a no from me on Humphrys. For a big man (like Alby) muscled off the ball too often.

Humphrys has a lot of talent - and his goals v Spurs,Rotherham and Portsmouth shows that - he's scored some crackers for Scunthorpe too but still finds it hard to be a regular starter - there just seems something missing. Towards the end of last season Hill had lost patience with him and had subbed him off early in a few games - also tellingly when we needed a goal in that last game v Charlton Hill turned to Davies and Thompson as his last throw of the dice - that says it all really! I'm sure Hill would have had a chance of signing Humphrys last summer had he wanted him to come back here.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

January Window on 11:31 - Dec 28 with 1996 viewsrochdaleriddler

Not exactly a goal scorer is he!

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

January Window on 12:00 - Dec 28 with 1930 viewsisitme

A no from me as well. A times he will flash brilliance but his all round game is not there. As others have said he lacks physicality, considering his size. My main issue was how poor his touch was. His decision making was also found wanting as well.

There is a decent player in there but can even Keith coax it out?
January Window on 14:23 - Dec 28 with 1789 viewsDaleiLama

January Window on 12:00 - Dec 28 by isitme

A no from me as well. A times he will flash brilliance but his all round game is not there. As others have said he lacks physicality, considering his size. My main issue was how poor his touch was. His decision making was also found wanting as well.

There is a decent player in there but can even Keith coax it out?

The thing is, we really need a consistent contributor now. Even if KH could coax the best out of SH, we have to start scoring more goals now, not next season or 2020. I know 20 goal-a-season players don't grow on trees, but SH doesn't seem instinctive or hungry enough. As has been pointed out (DDB) he's scored some great goals. So has Alby. Another no from me.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 14:50]

January Window on 15:30 - Dec 28 with 1700 viewsShun

A few people have mentioned Humphrys’ first touch. His goal at Wembley after a long crossfield pass was one of the best instances of a beautiful first touch, control, and goal I’ve ever seen. He has the technique and the physique to be a good player. His desire seemed there too, but I agree that something’s missing.

Also, regarding goals, our main problem by far is conceding rather than scoring. Outside the top 6, we’ve actually scored more goals than anyone above us bar Wycombe. Whereas our defence is the third worst in the league. Obviously the goals scored column is a bit misleading because the majority of that is made up of one person’s goals, but they’re still Rochdale goals.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 15:35]
January Window on 15:36 - Dec 28 with 1685 viewsD_Alien

January Window on 14:23 - Dec 28 by DaleiLama

The thing is, we really need a consistent contributor now. Even if KH could coax the best out of SH, we have to start scoring more goals now, not next season or 2020. I know 20 goal-a-season players don't grow on trees, but SH doesn't seem instinctive or hungry enough. As has been pointed out (DDB) he's scored some great goals. So has Alby. Another no from me.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 14:50]

All good points, but we really do need to sign a forward with physical presence. We saw in the game against Accy how the introduction of Andrew paid immediate dividends and the absence of someone who can make the ball stick up front would leave a gaping omission in our armoury. I accept that SH may not have shown that capability in his previous spell or since, but at least he's young enough and SHOULD be hungry enough - his next move could either make or break his career

His goal at Wembley showed he does have the talent, plus he'd have the advantage of being able to settle in quickly. If not SH, KH needs to pull a different rabbit out of the bag and through the January window or it'll be Alas in Wonderland

Edit: just seen Shun's post about the Wembley goal, as i was typing!

[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 15:39]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

January Window on 15:45 - Dec 28 with 1652 viewsDaleiLama

January Window on 15:30 - Dec 28 by Shun

A few people have mentioned Humphrys’ first touch. His goal at Wembley after a long crossfield pass was one of the best instances of a beautiful first touch, control, and goal I’ve ever seen. He has the technique and the physique to be a good player. His desire seemed there too, but I agree that something’s missing.

Also, regarding goals, our main problem by far is conceding rather than scoring. Outside the top 6, we’ve actually scored more goals than anyone above us bar Wycombe. Whereas our defence is the third worst in the league. Obviously the goals scored column is a bit misleading because the majority of that is made up of one person’s goals, but they’re still Rochdale goals.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 15:35]

For me what's missing is consistency. Other first touches were poor. Compare it with the way Hendo took down a long Crossfield ball and it looked like it stuck to his foot as all the pace disappeared in a second with no loss of control. I know Hendo is Hendo but …….. we need to try to get closer to that than SH manages consistently.

Your second point is valid and well made, but what happens if something bad happens to Hendo and he has to sit out a long spell? That's my overriding concern.

January Window on 15:53 - Dec 28 with 1627 viewsDaleiLama

January Window on 15:36 - Dec 28 by D_Alien

All good points, but we really do need to sign a forward with physical presence. We saw in the game against Accy how the introduction of Andrew paid immediate dividends and the absence of someone who can make the ball stick up front would leave a gaping omission in our armoury. I accept that SH may not have shown that capability in his previous spell or since, but at least he's young enough and SHOULD be hungry enough - his next move could either make or break his career

His goal at Wembley showed he does have the talent, plus he'd have the advantage of being able to settle in quickly. If not SH, KH needs to pull a different rabbit out of the bag and through the January window or it'll be Alas in Wonderland

Edit: just seen Shun's post about the Wembley goal, as i was typing!

[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 15:39]

I agree with your post about needing that physical presence as both a weapon and a plan B if plan A isn't working, I just don't think SH is that player. Calvin almost always dominates either as striker or defender, because his timing to get to a ball is usually perfect and he's in the right place at the right time. He is very rarely diverted either. For me (and I admit I may be biased) SH doesn't give us that. He couldn't judge where to be and when as well as Calvin and he was too frequently diverted from his chosen path by a more experienced player with more guile. If we had the luxury of giving him time to improve, there may be a good player in there.

I'll be honest, I didn't think MJW would come good. I saw the same physical limitations in him as I saw in SH, but MJW has added an edge and controlled aggression to his game which could, and I say could deliberately, take him to the next level. But then I may just be mad. Having an SK postcode probably qualifies me, at least geographically, as a hatter too!
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 15:59]

January Window on 16:17 - Dec 28 with 1579 viewsD_Alien

January Window on 15:53 - Dec 28 by DaleiLama

I agree with your post about needing that physical presence as both a weapon and a plan B if plan A isn't working, I just don't think SH is that player. Calvin almost always dominates either as striker or defender, because his timing to get to a ball is usually perfect and he's in the right place at the right time. He is very rarely diverted either. For me (and I admit I may be biased) SH doesn't give us that. He couldn't judge where to be and when as well as Calvin and he was too frequently diverted from his chosen path by a more experienced player with more guile. If we had the luxury of giving him time to improve, there may be a good player in there.

I'll be honest, I didn't think MJW would come good. I saw the same physical limitations in him as I saw in SH, but MJW has added an edge and controlled aggression to his game which could, and I say could deliberately, take him to the next level. But then I may just be mad. Having an SK postcode probably qualifies me, at least geographically, as a hatter too!
[Post edited 28 Dec 2018 15:59]

Reading all of the above, i must admit the loss of Andrew at this point in the season seems pretty unnecessary (probably no fee, freeing up a wage for... what, exactly?) and unless KH has a better alternative lined up, i'll be as unhinged as a hare by March

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

January Window on 16:42 - Dec 28 with 1502 viewsEllDale

I've just realised that the curse of the club calendar has struck again with Andy Cannon pictured on the front.
How many times does it happen (at every club to be fair) that a featured player moves almost straight after publication?
January Window on 16:45 - Dec 28 with 1493 viewsTVOS1907

January Window on 16:42 - Dec 28 by EllDale

I've just realised that the curse of the club calendar has struck again with Andy Cannon pictured on the front.
How many times does it happen (at every club to be fair) that a featured player moves almost straight after publication?

It's struck on the front cover of tomorrow's TVOS as well...

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

January Window on 16:50 - Dec 28 with 1480 views49thseason

I am quietly hopeful there is some truth in the Chris Long rumour. The lad has a decent pedigree Having been in the same England u20 World Cup squad as Harry Kane, Eric Dier and John Stones at the age of 18. He seems to have lost his way at Burnley and if he is unhappy at Fleetwood (and they are unhappy with him) maybe he does have enough about him to make Keith think he is worth the effort.
https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/fleetwood-town-fc/fleetwood-to
January Window on 16:53 - Dec 28 with 1469 viewsEllDale

Classic broken toy then.
Have Fleetwood a spare centre half as well?
January Window on 17:04 - Dec 28 with 1419 viewsYouTubeDale

Moore is a superb distributor of the ball. Against Blackpool, when quickly counter-attacking, he kicked the ball out to Hendo with precision and Hendo has the skill to control it and then bring others into play. We then have a real chance of scoring. On the other hand Lillis would kick it far too hard in the general direction of Hendo and quite often the attack is wasted. Contrast that to the involvement of Calvin in that scenario. He would win the header, the ball goes forward to...nobody, and our attack fizzles out. The point is we don’t need Calvin in attack if we can get another player who can control the ball in a similar way to Hendo and then bring others into play. Surely there are other players out there who can control the ball coming from our goalie. Like I said earlier, in my opinion, Calvin makes the wrong decisions when we attack, as an example, when he turned and skied it way over the Sandy recently, and often his touch let’s himself and therefore the team down. Time for a change. Agree that SH doesn’t quite provide the answer and KH has lost faith in him.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

January Window on 18:37 - Dec 28 with 1277 viewsboromat

I don't think we should get too excited about the January transfer window. If both Cannon and McGahey leave we'd need a backup RCB this will probably be a youngster in loan with a view of signing them in the summer. I can't see anything else happening apart from loans in and out.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

January Window on 19:31 - Dec 28 with 1170 viewsYorkshire_Dale

January Window on 17:04 - Dec 28 by YouTubeDale

Moore is a superb distributor of the ball. Against Blackpool, when quickly counter-attacking, he kicked the ball out to Hendo with precision and Hendo has the skill to control it and then bring others into play. We then have a real chance of scoring. On the other hand Lillis would kick it far too hard in the general direction of Hendo and quite often the attack is wasted. Contrast that to the involvement of Calvin in that scenario. He would win the header, the ball goes forward to...nobody, and our attack fizzles out. The point is we don’t need Calvin in attack if we can get another player who can control the ball in a similar way to Hendo and then bring others into play. Surely there are other players out there who can control the ball coming from our goalie. Like I said earlier, in my opinion, Calvin makes the wrong decisions when we attack, as an example, when he turned and skied it way over the Sandy recently, and often his touch let’s himself and therefore the team down. Time for a change. Agree that SH doesn’t quite provide the answer and KH has lost faith in him.

Peter Vincenti was a maestro at receiving from our goalies.......get him back. (Not really)
January Window on 20:26 - Dec 28 with 1060 viewsJames1980

Are there any more youth team players who look worthy of promotion to the first team.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024