Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! 17:16 - Jan 29 with 2255 viewsdurham_exile

Like many of you I receive a weekly newsletter from our club.

Never mind the content this week, the photograph of SB is shocking, he cuts a forlorn figure and said photo hardly inspires confidence or any suggestion that you would follow him over the top from the trenches or anywhere else for that matter. Come on sort it out!

After the dire result at Stevenage on Tuesday night we simply have to gain three points against a resurgent Scunny team tonight at the JSCS.

The table, bottom half looks bleak:

COLU 24 31
Oldham 25 31
PV 26 29
Scunny 25 29
Bradford 23 28
Bolton 24 28
Harrogate 24 27
Barrow 23 23
Stevenage 23 22
Grimsby 25 21
Southend 25 20

Even more good news (written with heavy irony): after Reading from the Championship appear to have lost interest in signing Cohen Bramall I read today that Lincoln City are sniffing around. Now I know that Cohen is out of contract at the end of the season, but are we seriously looking to lose one of our better players for a song to a League One outfit when frankly we do not need to sell him. What would they pay, no more than £50K I suspect, they should be told to foxtrot oscar.

I think even the most optimistic supporter (and I would like to consider myself to be one of the glass half full brigade) must be thinking that the promotion dream is virtually over for yet another season. Unless we can start to turn results around.

Salford and Orient Away are our next two fixtures and given the shocking performances away from home we need the three points tonight to bolster our position and to offer some hope to the faithful.

Can SB be persuaded to start with two strikers, playing Jevani Brown as the lone attacker is destroying him and it is little wonder that the goals have dried up.

No messing about tonight, play 4,4,2 and go for it from the start:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Poku Chilvers Stevenson Harriott

Brown Oteh

Subs:

George Sowunmi Marshall-Miranda Folivi Bohui Tovide Senior

Over the half way point now and if we are to creep into the top seven, we would need 73 points making it another 42 points required from 22 games — a salutary reminder of just how far we have fallen over the last 9 games.

Enough of this, the weather tonight is mild, 8 degrees Celsius and cloudy. For once no rain. Hopefully, the pitch will be better than the last home match against Cambridge.

If SB is positive and plays two strikers, then I reckon we can prevail 3-0. Anything else and I fear for the result.

We signed Aramide Oteh, get him on from the start and play him alongside Jevani Brown.

Try and enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 17:51]

Durham_exile

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 20:39 - Jan 29 with 763 viewsthrillseeker

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 19:49 - Jan 29 by thrillseeker

Shamal George looks shaky

He is looking better now
Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 20:40 - Jan 29 with 755 viewsdurham_exile

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 20:39 - Jan 29 by thrillseeker

He is looking better now

Poku off Oteh on on 59 mins

Senior safe again!!!!!!!!

Durham_exile

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:01 - Jan 29 with 733 viewsdurham_exile

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 20:40 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

Poku off Oteh on on 59 mins

Senior safe again!!!!!!!!

Folivi on Brown off after 78 mins.

Senior safer than Klopp

Come on the U'a

Durham_exile

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:06 - Jan 29 with 718 viewsnoah4x4

Has Oteh touched the ball?
Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:09 - Jan 29 with 711 viewsdurham_exile

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:06 - Jan 29 by noah4x4

Has Oteh touched the ball?

This is worse than Wadsworth and Hoofroyd

We are seriously in a relegation battle.

9 games without a win

Truly awful.

Depressing viewing

Dreadful simply dreadful.

Durham_exile

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:11 - Jan 29 with 706 viewsdurham_exile

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:09 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

This is worse than Wadsworth and Hoofroyd

We are seriously in a relegation battle.

9 games without a win

Truly awful.

Depressing viewing

Dreadful simply dreadful.

Signing off for tonight.

Durham_exile

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:16 - Jan 29 with 697 viewswessex_exile

Dreadful, 'nuff said

LfW#30 - "Of course, you have to win first, which we’ve been struggling to do for a while now, so be prepared for the possibility of a miserable weekend just in case"

All I can do is apologise
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 21:20]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:21 - Jan 29 with 675 viewsWitham

Ote never touched the ball.
Login to get fewer ads

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:24 - Jan 29 with 668 viewsbwildered

Wonder if Stevenson and Gerken carried injuries into the game.
No quality or desire,club in free fall .
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 21:26]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:25 - Jan 29 with 666 viewsnoah4x4

Has somebody (wrongly) told Cowling we get a parachute payment if relegated? I can’t see any other reason justifying allowing Humes and Ball to destroy the fan base.

McGreal is available. He must be wondering what he did wrong.
Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:30 - Jan 29 with 651 viewsLeadbelly

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:25 - Jan 29 by noah4x4

Has somebody (wrongly) told Cowling we get a parachute payment if relegated? I can’t see any other reason justifying allowing Humes and Ball to destroy the fan base.

McGreal is available. He must be wondering what he did wrong.

McGreal expressed an opinion. Dangerous.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:30 - Jan 29 with 650 viewsbwildered

Has a National League club, do the club still get Academy monies which are presently available ?

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:43 - Jan 29 with 635 viewsLeadbelly

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:30 - Jan 29 by bwildered

Has a National League club, do the club still get Academy monies which are presently available ?

Don’t think so

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 21:52 - Jan 29 with 619 viewsthrillseeker

That was painful to watch again

More worrying is that SB just said we were the better team. If he thinks that then he is deluded.

If Stevenson & Gerken are out long term then I am hoping there are 2 worse teams than us
Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 22:25 - Jan 29 with 601 viewsburnsieespana

What is a worry is every season one club goes into freefall and get related when earlier in the season they looked totally safe.
I really fear for us
Desperately grim days!
[Post edited 30 Jan 2021 13:48]
Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 08:56 - Jan 30 with 539 viewsAddy

McGreal expressed an opinion as did Gambin and Keen, they all suffered the same fate soon afterwards.
Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 11:40 - Jan 30 with 506 viewsdurham_exile

Over the years the U's faithful have seen it all, promotion, relegation, Cup victories and defeats, long spells without winning.

I can recall 7 successive defeats (and I went to every one of those defeats that season) but the difference this season is that SB has selected a lone striker and never deviated from that strategy. He has too many favourites who are underperforming. There is little effort, commitment or pride on the pitch. The results are getting worse with every game.

Last season we went to Salford and in attrocious conditions put on a masterclass of controlled football and Poku scored a wonder solo effort goal. I dread to think what will happen this season. All our spirits need lifting and the team owes us big time.

Jevani Brown hasn't scored since mid November because of SB's tactics and now without Stevenson and Pell and possibly Gerken things are grim indeed.

I have watched every game via ifollow and not only are they not enjoyable but our play is so predictable.

Ball and Humes must go otherwise we won't need to worry about survival this season because we will be back in the National League and that is not a prospect that appeals to me.

Give the job to Mullins on a temporaray basis and bring Parky back. But I fear that he will not really want to come back!

Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Up the U's

We are witnessing the result of failure to achieve promotion last season. The loss of key players and a failure to play to our strengths.

Durham_exile

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 13:54 - Jan 30 with 483 viewsburnsieespana

Personally I doubt Mullens would do much different.
SB has not a lit of choice as far as strikers and Brown stopped scoring when he tried to include Norris in the team.
We don't know that McG, Gambin and Keene spoke up and were therefore removed.
Stephenson and Gerken be big losses if out for any length of time.
Grim times indeed.
Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 16:07 - Jan 30 with 460 viewsMoor_Pinot

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 11:40 - Jan 30 by durham_exile

Over the years the U's faithful have seen it all, promotion, relegation, Cup victories and defeats, long spells without winning.

I can recall 7 successive defeats (and I went to every one of those defeats that season) but the difference this season is that SB has selected a lone striker and never deviated from that strategy. He has too many favourites who are underperforming. There is little effort, commitment or pride on the pitch. The results are getting worse with every game.

Last season we went to Salford and in attrocious conditions put on a masterclass of controlled football and Poku scored a wonder solo effort goal. I dread to think what will happen this season. All our spirits need lifting and the team owes us big time.

Jevani Brown hasn't scored since mid November because of SB's tactics and now without Stevenson and Pell and possibly Gerken things are grim indeed.

I have watched every game via ifollow and not only are they not enjoyable but our play is so predictable.

Ball and Humes must go otherwise we won't need to worry about survival this season because we will be back in the National League and that is not a prospect that appeals to me.

Give the job to Mullins on a temporaray basis and bring Parky back. But I fear that he will not really want to come back!

Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Up the U's

We are witnessing the result of failure to achieve promotion last season. The loss of key players and a failure to play to our strengths.

Yes Durham but we are also witnessing the slow continual demise of our on-field club courtesy of a system which stifles what talent we have. (And in recent seasons we've had plenty but wasted it). I do not overlook the pandemic nor our Chairman's benevolence and loyalty.

You only have to reference the latest wasted example, Luke Gambin. A pretty good midfielder, higher in quality than Comley or Pell, yet little used. He's been at a team at the top of our league for about an hour and has already given them more than we allowed him permission to display. Two goals and one assist so far.

We have been one trick ponies for six gently declining seasons where no tactics have changed meaning that strikers have no support and overrated selfish non league players like Senior dominate and spoil. Opposition sides always know how to play us which is why we lose or draw against so-called bottom of the table sides. In truth we have been worse this season than in the previous five as talent is dispensed with, so in all honesty we have been thrashed twice by Morecambe even if the score lines mislead and once by Exeter where the scoreline flattered us. As you say Durham Salford may be tricky!

Without our usually consistent keeper and the overrated but worthy Stevenson our midfield cries out for Gambin, less so the stroppy red card alert captain.
This board has screamed strikers and we have several now...... But with shades of Bonne-ism, when are Bohui, Oteh, Hasanally, Tovide, Folivi and any others going to get game time? In consequence Brown, rightly given a chance by a different manager from the same management has now seen his opportunities denied by plan A, the only plan we have.

You are right to worry. This has the aura of the late 80s and with uninspirational, inexperienced management who cannot motivate those that for some reason cannot motivate themselves the U's are in a dangerous rut resultant of culture and policy.

Oh for creativity, or passion, or risk..... Oh for Jim Smith, Big Roy, Parky or the Cowley brothers.
It is with a recipe like these that Mansfield are storming like Noah predicted. Their manager has the necessary ingredients.... The ones we never look for.

The National lg is but a few points away.

Moor Pinot

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 16:33 - Jan 30 with 450 viewsLeadbelly

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 16:07 - Jan 30 by Moor_Pinot

Yes Durham but we are also witnessing the slow continual demise of our on-field club courtesy of a system which stifles what talent we have. (And in recent seasons we've had plenty but wasted it). I do not overlook the pandemic nor our Chairman's benevolence and loyalty.

You only have to reference the latest wasted example, Luke Gambin. A pretty good midfielder, higher in quality than Comley or Pell, yet little used. He's been at a team at the top of our league for about an hour and has already given them more than we allowed him permission to display. Two goals and one assist so far.

We have been one trick ponies for six gently declining seasons where no tactics have changed meaning that strikers have no support and overrated selfish non league players like Senior dominate and spoil. Opposition sides always know how to play us which is why we lose or draw against so-called bottom of the table sides. In truth we have been worse this season than in the previous five as talent is dispensed with, so in all honesty we have been thrashed twice by Morecambe even if the score lines mislead and once by Exeter where the scoreline flattered us. As you say Durham Salford may be tricky!

Without our usually consistent keeper and the overrated but worthy Stevenson our midfield cries out for Gambin, less so the stroppy red card alert captain.
This board has screamed strikers and we have several now...... But with shades of Bonne-ism, when are Bohui, Oteh, Hasanally, Tovide, Folivi and any others going to get game time? In consequence Brown, rightly given a chance by a different manager from the same management has now seen his opportunities denied by plan A, the only plan we have.

You are right to worry. This has the aura of the late 80s and with uninspirational, inexperienced management who cannot motivate those that for some reason cannot motivate themselves the U's are in a dangerous rut resultant of culture and policy.

Oh for creativity, or passion, or risk..... Oh for Jim Smith, Big Roy, Parky or the Cowley brothers.
It is with a recipe like these that Mansfield are storming like Noah predicted. Their manager has the necessary ingredients.... The ones we never look for.

The National lg is but a few points away.

Every game in February is against a side currently above us in the league. Only the bottom four teams have won fewer games than us. Looking at the fixtures it is difficult to see where the next point is coming from unless there is a fundamental change in performances.

If there is no philosophy for how all teams representing the club set up to play why on earth do we keep doing the same thing over and over when it doesn’t work. If there is a club philosophy then perhaps it needs changing as it does not produce results.

If all the club is interested in is providing a shop window for young players then consider this...they may be worth a great deal more if they are playing in a dynamic, winning team.

We are now playing sides for the second time this season. They all know exactly what’s coming at them and will plan accordingly. If we continue with Plan A then we just make it even easier for them. If the brains trust calling the shots actually thought about creating a plan B they might be pleasantly surprised.

And as for playing one striker who is too isolated most of the time...if 4-4-2 is such a useless, outdated, ineffective formation why do sides playing that way score goals against us?

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 16:36 - Jan 30 with 447 viewsLeadbelly

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 16:33 - Jan 30 by Leadbelly

Every game in February is against a side currently above us in the league. Only the bottom four teams have won fewer games than us. Looking at the fixtures it is difficult to see where the next point is coming from unless there is a fundamental change in performances.

If there is no philosophy for how all teams representing the club set up to play why on earth do we keep doing the same thing over and over when it doesn’t work. If there is a club philosophy then perhaps it needs changing as it does not produce results.

If all the club is interested in is providing a shop window for young players then consider this...they may be worth a great deal more if they are playing in a dynamic, winning team.

We are now playing sides for the second time this season. They all know exactly what’s coming at them and will plan accordingly. If we continue with Plan A then we just make it even easier for them. If the brains trust calling the shots actually thought about creating a plan B they might be pleasantly surprised.

And as for playing one striker who is too isolated most of the time...if 4-4-2 is such a useless, outdated, ineffective formation why do sides playing that way score goals against us?

Still, Wycombe, Ipswich and Southend all losing at the moment so mustn’t grumble.

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 17:19 - Jan 30 with 438 viewsnoah4x4

It is true every game in February is against a side above us. But when we are in 18th place (as now) there are only 6 below us and 17 above. I am grateful that Southend and Grimsby are doing enough (e.g, badly) for us to avoid relegation.

The rot started when we lost 6-1 to Exeter. From that day forward, clubs knew exactly how to play us. Incredibly, we moved to within a point of the Play Offs on 5th December when we beat a sad Grimsby and were then very lucky to beat Scunny. Since then we have been dire because others have sussed is out and our management refuse to change anything. Humes and Ball out!
Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 16:47 - Jan 31 with 344 viewsgerry_us

Can someone tell me how long the extended "highlights" of the Scunny game is please? Need to put some time aside during my busy schedule.
Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 18:23 - Jan 31 with 333 viewsbwildered

Extended highlights 9mins 51 .
PS - Spoiler - will not get to exciting ,

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 19:19 - Jan 31 with 320 viewsgerry_us

Any old Iron tonight and three valuable points is a must! on 18:23 - Jan 31 by bwildered

Extended highlights 9mins 51 .
PS - Spoiler - will not get to exciting ,

Thanks BW. Nine minutes?
Too much excitement for me!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024