Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? 13:09 - Mar 25 with 4280 viewsTomRAFC

From the information we have so far, BBM was given the extension when we were in midtable following two big wins. It's been said that the board opted not to announce this due to a poor run of form.

A poor run of form takes weeks to accrue. The only way a poor run of form could be a barrier to the announcement can only be explained if they had held off making the announcement in the first place.

It's baffling.

Alongside the lack of clarity around Mr Altman and Mr Marcelli, and the CEO's stark refusal to answer questions that have been asked of him ever since he entered the role, the elephant in the room has become a herd.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 15:47 - Mar 25 with 4084 viewsToffeemanc

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/march/openletter_march2021/

Basically just a re-hash of what we already know whilst still not an admission of who was individually responsible, although realistically we all know who was to blame.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 16:16 - Mar 25 with 4021 views442Dale

Really appreciate that they’re extending the lip service to the entire fanbase rather than just the Trust on this occasion. Plus, I’m sure we’re all dead pleased about on-loan players getting international call-ups; though maybe getting three points more regularly with a team that has loan players that enable that to happen more often would be better way to epitomise us a club.

As others have touched on, if the extension was signed before Christmas, how do subsequent results matter at all? They simply had to address why that wasn’t announced on the day it happened, not apologise for not doing so.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 16:24 - Mar 25 with 4000 viewsDaleFan7

It was done pre-Christmas but results immediately dipped?

Out of our first 5 games in January we only lost 1, the others were draws but it was in the midst of us being 'entertaining' 3-3, 4-4, 3-3, 0-1, 2-2. It was hardly the disaster that ensued in February and the start of March, was it.

Not buying that excuse I'm afraid. Lip service is all it is because ST time is round the corner. How many times have we heard communication etc will improve? As soon as September hits it will be back to silence.
The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 17:00 - Mar 25 with 3932 views442Dale

And they’ve sent it out by letter too!

Postal costs can’t be an issue.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 17:09 - Mar 25 with 3899 viewsDalenet

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 17:00 - Mar 25 by 442Dale

And they’ve sent it out by letter too!

Postal costs can’t be an issue.

You are having a laugh. They better not have done that
The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 18:01 - Mar 25 with 3797 viewsLaveritty

After reading that statement I can't decide whether I feel a greater sense of anger and annoyance or sadness and disillusionment with my football club right now?

When I read the bit "He is under contract until the summer of 2022, having signed an extension before Christmas. Unfortunately, results ultimately dipped as we entered into January and it became difficult to announce the news" my first thought was "Really - I don't remember feeling that 'results had dipped as we entered January' but rather it was a case of them being pretty much relentlessly bad all season."

Thought I would have a look back at the results just prior to Christmas to check that my memory wasn't playing tricks on me and I had forgotten a 15 match unbeaten run which merited his contract extension:

Nov 03rd Oxford (A) 1-3
Nov 07th Stockport (H) 1-2
Nov 10th Salford (H) 1-2
Nov 21st AFC Wimbledon (H) 1-2
Nov 24th Northampton (H) 1-1
Dec 01st Plymouth (A) 4-0
Dec 05th Lincoln (H) 0-2
Dec 12th Peterborough (A) 1-4
Dec 15th Wigan (A) 5-0
Dec 19th Gillingham (H) 1-4

So a run of P10, W2, D1, L7, F16, A20 and BBM gets rewarded with a new contract. Even with those 2 freakish away wins in there it is not exactly an impressive run of results (and that is not even taking into account the mind numbingly boring "style" of football that supporters have had to endure!) Can't think why they chose to keep it quiet after such a good run of results rather than putting it out in the public domain?

We have often accused our dear departed neighbours of being a laughing stock but I think the BBM contract extension is right up there with anything we have mocked them for over the last few years.

The board really must think we are all complete idiots if they believe we will accept that kind of doublespeak as a bona fide explanation as to why it wasn't announced!

I also find it an insult to our intelligence to keep hearing the "we can only apologise for the poor communication" line of defence. We hear it far too often and it never improves. Perhaps we need to recruit more backroom staff to address this problem?

Very, very, very worrying times for Rochdale AFC!

UTD

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 18:07 - Mar 25 with 3777 viewsToffeemanc

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 18:01 - Mar 25 by Laveritty

After reading that statement I can't decide whether I feel a greater sense of anger and annoyance or sadness and disillusionment with my football club right now?

When I read the bit "He is under contract until the summer of 2022, having signed an extension before Christmas. Unfortunately, results ultimately dipped as we entered into January and it became difficult to announce the news" my first thought was "Really - I don't remember feeling that 'results had dipped as we entered January' but rather it was a case of them being pretty much relentlessly bad all season."

Thought I would have a look back at the results just prior to Christmas to check that my memory wasn't playing tricks on me and I had forgotten a 15 match unbeaten run which merited his contract extension:

Nov 03rd Oxford (A) 1-3
Nov 07th Stockport (H) 1-2
Nov 10th Salford (H) 1-2
Nov 21st AFC Wimbledon (H) 1-2
Nov 24th Northampton (H) 1-1
Dec 01st Plymouth (A) 4-0
Dec 05th Lincoln (H) 0-2
Dec 12th Peterborough (A) 1-4
Dec 15th Wigan (A) 5-0
Dec 19th Gillingham (H) 1-4

So a run of P10, W2, D1, L7, F16, A20 and BBM gets rewarded with a new contract. Even with those 2 freakish away wins in there it is not exactly an impressive run of results (and that is not even taking into account the mind numbingly boring "style" of football that supporters have had to endure!) Can't think why they chose to keep it quiet after such a good run of results rather than putting it out in the public domain?

We have often accused our dear departed neighbours of being a laughing stock but I think the BBM contract extension is right up there with anything we have mocked them for over the last few years.

The board really must think we are all complete idiots if they believe we will accept that kind of doublespeak as a bona fide explanation as to why it wasn't announced!

I also find it an insult to our intelligence to keep hearing the "we can only apologise for the poor communication" line of defence. We hear it far too often and it never improves. Perhaps we need to recruit more backroom staff to address this problem?

Very, very, very worrying times for Rochdale AFC!

UTD

If we want to have better communication between club and fans than I believe the club do need to recruit...........................A NEW CEO.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 18:16 - Mar 25 with 3749 viewsDalenet

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 18:07 - Mar 25 by Toffeemanc

If we want to have better communication between club and fans than I believe the club do need to recruit...........................A NEW CEO.

You know that will only happen when the current job holder is appointed as Chairman
Login to get fewer ads

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 18:27 - Mar 25 with 3713 viewsD_Alien

The letter is a pile of condescending waffle

Open & shut case

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 18:33 - Mar 25 with 3694 viewsonedalefan

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 17:09 - Mar 25 by Dalenet

You are having a laugh. They better not have done that

Not received mine but sons arrived this morning.
The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 18:38 - Mar 25 with 3667 viewsD_Alien

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 18:33 - Mar 25 by onedalefan

Not received mine but sons arrived this morning.

Check your email, i think they've run out of stamps

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 20:01 - Mar 25 with 3518 viewsToffeemanc

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 18:16 - Mar 25 by Dalenet

You know that will only happen when the current job holder is appointed as Chairman

If he is ever appointed as chairman then the club as we know it is finished.

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 23:21 - Mar 25 with 3343 viewsSandyman

At least, at last, the club have given a response. Thank you for that.
They are trying to protect a position achieved by making the proverbial "rod for their own back". Last Summer's transfer window parsimony was obviously going to cause problems. "Managed relegation" was a cynical observation of what was going on.

As stated above in an excellent post by Laveritty, BBM's contract extension was given during a period of awful football and awful form punctuated by two great away wins. "Results ultimately dipped" before the contract extension was given. The home form was problematic then. Why was the contract extension given in such circumstances? We are still without an answer.

Not announcing it for three months (an unparalleled amount of time and manner to release such information) as results went from awful to horrendous, and refusing to do so after it sneaked out at the Fans Forum is covered by an apology. This foolhardy behaviour will not be forgotten.

And please, please, please, stop referring to the manager as "hugely talented" like it is some sort of mantra. It does not wash. It looks ridiculous. This manager is responsible for the worst home form in our history as we sit bottom of the league with relegation closing in. It is obvious one director at least has an affection for BBM that causes high emotion. This suggests emotion rather than sound judgement was behind a disastrous decision that has left the club in a right mess in League One and caused a rift between supporter and boardroom that won't, unfortunately, be healed by a statement that clutches at straws to defend the mistakes made.

I'd like nothing better than for BBM to prove me and others wrong and keep the club in League One.

That we are in the position we are in is down to mismanagement on and off the pitch. The wellbeing of the club comes first, always. Fans having to be out of the ground, silenced, and a lack of boardroom intervention for various reasons means two people damaging the club on and off the pitch are still in post and being paid by the club which is very worrying. One with no previous experience in football, one not very good. "Hugely talented" ?

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 02:48 - Mar 26 with 3283 viewspioneer

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 23:21 - Mar 25 by Sandyman

At least, at last, the club have given a response. Thank you for that.
They are trying to protect a position achieved by making the proverbial "rod for their own back". Last Summer's transfer window parsimony was obviously going to cause problems. "Managed relegation" was a cynical observation of what was going on.

As stated above in an excellent post by Laveritty, BBM's contract extension was given during a period of awful football and awful form punctuated by two great away wins. "Results ultimately dipped" before the contract extension was given. The home form was problematic then. Why was the contract extension given in such circumstances? We are still without an answer.

Not announcing it for three months (an unparalleled amount of time and manner to release such information) as results went from awful to horrendous, and refusing to do so after it sneaked out at the Fans Forum is covered by an apology. This foolhardy behaviour will not be forgotten.

And please, please, please, stop referring to the manager as "hugely talented" like it is some sort of mantra. It does not wash. It looks ridiculous. This manager is responsible for the worst home form in our history as we sit bottom of the league with relegation closing in. It is obvious one director at least has an affection for BBM that causes high emotion. This suggests emotion rather than sound judgement was behind a disastrous decision that has left the club in a right mess in League One and caused a rift between supporter and boardroom that won't, unfortunately, be healed by a statement that clutches at straws to defend the mistakes made.

I'd like nothing better than for BBM to prove me and others wrong and keep the club in League One.

That we are in the position we are in is down to mismanagement on and off the pitch. The wellbeing of the club comes first, always. Fans having to be out of the ground, silenced, and a lack of boardroom intervention for various reasons means two people damaging the club on and off the pitch are still in post and being paid by the club which is very worrying. One with no previous experience in football, one not very good. "Hugely talented" ?

Hugely talented as a manager in the same way Walter Joyce and Steve eyre were. Neither of the ever got to manage another team in the football league I think.
The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 12:49 - Mar 26 with 3041 viewsmikehunt

Got my letter. I am of the same opinion: You cannot sweep the non- announcement of the contract extension under the carpet with such fatuous statements. None of it rings true and a huge disconnect with the fans has been generated.
This is not going to be fixed easily. If we go down there will be ructions. Where the club ends up after that I dread to think.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 15:13 - Mar 26 with 2916 viewsYouTubeDale

It fills me with great pride that we have so many meerkats in our midst, our loyal supporters, more than willing to look out for our beloved club. We have seen very recently the burning embers of Bury FC smoldering away and do not want to suffer that humiliating fate, not on our watch.

For me, I can see the hard work of the Board and their good intentions, yes, I agree with Pockney in that the BOD don't wake up each morning thinking how they can derail Dale today. I am not convinced, wholly, that Bottomley is a me, me, me but he has made a big mistake with the way BBM's contract was given out and we are right in watching his every move from now. As far as BBM is concerned, I believe he will carry on the good work from the last 2 games, having changed tactics to some degree and we will be able to judge him after these next 10 games. I think he will redeem himself after a disastrous set of home stats that nobody can argue with. I believe the players are behind him, and with players coming back from injury we can make a good fist of it. But make no bones about it, if BBM is less than convincing at the end of the season, there will be an outcry for his head, and if Bottomley puts another foot wrong that will be two heads in the basket.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 15:33 - Mar 26 with 2875 viewsLaveritty

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 12:49 - Mar 26 by mikehunt

Got my letter. I am of the same opinion: You cannot sweep the non- announcement of the contract extension under the carpet with such fatuous statements. None of it rings true and a huge disconnect with the fans has been generated.
This is not going to be fixed easily. If we go down there will be ructions. Where the club ends up after that I dread to think.

Ahh yes!

DISCONNECT!

Thank you - that's the word that sums up perfectly the contradictory emotions that I was feeling when I wrote the above post yesterday! Sadly the longer the disconnect continues and widens the easier it becomes to consider what would once have been unthinkable - finding better and more rewarding things to do with my time and money.

Even more sad is the apparent contempt that the board continues to show to its fans with such pathetic comments and statements like the one issued yesterday. Ooh we're sorry and we'll try to do better in future! Heard it too many times before and we will no doubt hear it again whenever it is time to ask people to put their hands in their pockets to finance this 'philosophy'.

Do they really expect people to continue to pay League 1 (or League 2) prices to watch what amounts to (and which the board have effectively admitted) are exhibition and tryout games, to put players in the shop window, whilst not seeming to care about the entertainment value, the results or, most worryingly, THE LEAGUE TABLE!!!

I suggest everyone at the club has a look at the League 1 table just in case they weren't aware of Rochdale AFC's position in it. Their claim that 'There’s a huge belief amongst the squad and around the club that we can retain our League One status' looks extremely optimistic but I would be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong!

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 16:32 - Mar 26 with 2787 viewsSuddenLad

The reason for the delay announcing BBMs contract extension... Really? on 15:13 - Mar 26 by YouTubeDale

It fills me with great pride that we have so many meerkats in our midst, our loyal supporters, more than willing to look out for our beloved club. We have seen very recently the burning embers of Bury FC smoldering away and do not want to suffer that humiliating fate, not on our watch.

For me, I can see the hard work of the Board and their good intentions, yes, I agree with Pockney in that the BOD don't wake up each morning thinking how they can derail Dale today. I am not convinced, wholly, that Bottomley is a me, me, me but he has made a big mistake with the way BBM's contract was given out and we are right in watching his every move from now. As far as BBM is concerned, I believe he will carry on the good work from the last 2 games, having changed tactics to some degree and we will be able to judge him after these next 10 games. I think he will redeem himself after a disastrous set of home stats that nobody can argue with. I believe the players are behind him, and with players coming back from injury we can make a good fist of it. But make no bones about it, if BBM is less than convincing at the end of the season, there will be an outcry for his head, and if Bottomley puts another foot wrong that will be two heads in the basket.

Agree with much of that, especially about BBM. The responsibility for the contract fiasco isn't his fault, but he is getting on with his job in spite of the situation. He is clearly intent on improving things and takes great pride in his job and his squad of players. They seem to be 100% committed to him, and we need to allow him and the players to get on with it, at least until the end of the season, come what may. I do think he will get things right and get this developing squad into a far better place than they are now.

Personally, the fact BBM has been given a new contract is very much secondary to the other issues going on. I still don't think we have reached the utter pits of the Graham Barrow era, however the results compare. The only time ever, that I voluntarily stopped going to live games.

I agree that Mr. Pockney is spot on. No-one is DELIBERATELY trying to scuttle Rochdale AFC, but it desperately needs a new helmsman as soon as it can be sorted. This farce cannot be allowed to continue and needs to be urgently addressed. There is no clear leadership and as long as Captain Mainwaring is running the show, things won't improve.

I've no idea from where the next Chairman (or Directors) will emerge but I hope there are moves afoot to encourage someone to take the position(s). Someone with a real intent and desire to take us forward, professionally, and stop the place being run like a toy shop.

We're not dead in the water yet for this season and there will be twists and turns aplenty ahead, but all this off-field shenanigans is a distraction we can do without.

As Dale fans we will of course support the team as ever, but we do need to keep a beady eye on what's going on upstairs. Just in case.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024