Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Living in North London 10:29 - Aug 5 with 8322 viewshorshamHoop

Could do with some advice please as my daughter (24 years old) is moving to London as has a job in the city (Old Street) plus the occasional visit to Head office in Hatfield

Her company have advised Finsbury Park or Harringay

I moved away from London a long time ago and am sure some on here will know the area pretty well.

Just wants to steer her clear of any particularly unsafe areas (I know that may be a tall order in London) and maybe give her some suitable ideas?
Living in North London on 16:06 - Aug 5 with 2091 viewseastside_r

Living in North London on 16:01 - Aug 5 by 80s_Boy

Ha ha, yep, hands up.!

Would never live North of the River but at least the OP wasn't asking for opinions on East London, I hate that even more!

I wouldn't expect anything different!
Living in North London on 16:07 - Aug 5 with 2060 views80s_Boy

Living in North London on 16:06 - Aug 5 by eastside_r

I wouldn't expect anything different!

When the World needs an enema the hose is going in Dagenham ;-)
Living in North London on 16:44 - Aug 5 with 2034 viewsGeorgeKulscar

I lived in Wood Green for 5 years and its a fairly mixed area, like most places in London. Definitely good for someone in their 20s though and comparatively inexpensive compared to other places that are within easy distance of Central London.

Alexandra Palace might be a good compromise, quite quiet and definitely a bit nicer, more residential etc., while also being on that national rail line that goes to Old Street. Rent still quite cheap for London but also next to some nicer areas like Crouch End, Muswell Hill etc.. Alexandra Palace is one of my favourite London parks because of my time there, would highly recommend.
Living in North London on 17:34 - Aug 5 with 1984 viewsKonk

Living in North London on 15:49 - Aug 5 by kensalriser

I know Finsbury Park quite well as I lived on Seven Sisters Rd near Hornsey Rd for a couple of years in the mid 80s and had several friends who lived there before and after. It's fair to say that as well as the rag trade up Fonthill Rd, the area's main industries were drugs and prostitution. Much more recently friends who lived just off Seven Sisters Rd in central Finsbury Park for years sold up because there was so much agg in their road, though I think this might have been specific to a halfway house or similar. But these are issues that affect many inner city areas and sometimes it's just down to the luck of your very immediate locality.

To the OP's question, I would look at the transport links and go from there - the overground line runs quite close to Old St and south of the river Kennington is only 6 stops from Old St. Clerkenwell and Finsbury are very close and cool areas but probably expensive now.

Also prob expensive but perhaps to be avoided is central Shoreditch because of the nightlife. Had a friend there who had to put up with all sorts including open drug use and people having sex literally up against her front door.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2021 15:57]

Some bits of FP are better than others, and Seven Sisters Road isn't a spot I'd gravitate towards out of choice (We've got a framed photo of the Hornsey Road Baths sign on our front room wall btw) It's all pot luck where you end up in terms of neighbours. I lived a couple of doors up from a junction with Brownswood Rd, so you'd see/hear bits and bobs, but generally, you wouldn't have known prostitution was going on. If you lived 10 doors up the street from us you'd have been completely oblivious to it, but a mate of mine lived in a block of flats the other side of Brownswood Rd, and most nights had people having sex by the bins, in the stairwell or up against the walls of his block.

Similarly, I lived on Lordship Park for a bit, and it was a great location except for the crackhouse a couple of doors down the road. Most of our neighbours were in finance, creatives or lawyers, though.

On North/South London, my Mum's from Shoreditch, and my brother was the first one from my Mum's side of the family to go to university. When he told my Nan he was going to study at Goldsmiths, her reaction was, "Where's that? Oh, dear. Is there nowhere this side of the water that'll have you?"

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Living in North London on 18:48 - Aug 5 with 1928 viewsizlingtonhoop

Finsbury Park hub is pretty raw, but its bark is worse than its bite.

Her company were maybe thinking of the very suburban areas as you go up and around Stroud Green Rd. Faltering Fullback shows you all you need to know about the demography, young, professional etc. In a more northerly direction you end up in Haringey, anyway. Perfectly pleasant, suburbia. Great restaurant scene on Green Lanes - if you like Mediterranean grills.... One night I Was in the Salisbury Hotel, again maybe an indicator. All middle class families, barefoot, floppy haired kids etc. That was Christmastime!

Moving east and south in to Highbury is fine too... Although that's where the prices go up.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2021 18:55]
Living in North London on 19:05 - Aug 5 with 1908 viewsKonk

Living in North London on 18:48 - Aug 5 by izlingtonhoop

Finsbury Park hub is pretty raw, but its bark is worse than its bite.

Her company were maybe thinking of the very suburban areas as you go up and around Stroud Green Rd. Faltering Fullback shows you all you need to know about the demography, young, professional etc. In a more northerly direction you end up in Haringey, anyway. Perfectly pleasant, suburbia. Great restaurant scene on Green Lanes - if you like Mediterranean grills.... One night I Was in the Salisbury Hotel, again maybe an indicator. All middle class families, barefoot, floppy haired kids etc. That was Christmastime!

Moving east and south in to Highbury is fine too... Although that's where the prices go up.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2021 18:55]

The Salisbury is a great pub and was my regular when I lived over Harringay/Turnpike Lane way. If you're looking at Harringay, I'd stick to the Ladder (the roads that run off Green Lanes) and as a rule, it tends to be nicer on the West than East. Harringay station will take you to Old Street (15-odd mins) or up to Hatfield on a slow train (30-odd mins). If costs allowed, I'd pick Stroud Green/most of FP over Harringay. Harringay's fine, but if Turkish/Kurdish food isn't your thing, you might find the lack of variety a bit limiting.

I've been drinking in the Fullback for 25-30-odd years, and love it. A weird but brilliant combination of back street boozer, cub hut and Ewok village. As Izlington says, stop in there for a couple of pints and you'll get a good feel for the area.

Living in North London on 19:37 - Aug 5 with 1839 viewsstevec

For a 24 year old girl I would think Clapham Common area might suit. Very popular with University grads, train straight into Old St, decent flat share options, easily accessible night life and busy area so quite safe (apart from the odd rogue copper).
Living in North London on 19:46 - Aug 5 with 1840 viewsizlingtonhoop

Living in North London on 19:05 - Aug 5 by Konk

The Salisbury is a great pub and was my regular when I lived over Harringay/Turnpike Lane way. If you're looking at Harringay, I'd stick to the Ladder (the roads that run off Green Lanes) and as a rule, it tends to be nicer on the West than East. Harringay station will take you to Old Street (15-odd mins) or up to Hatfield on a slow train (30-odd mins). If costs allowed, I'd pick Stroud Green/most of FP over Harringay. Harringay's fine, but if Turkish/Kurdish food isn't your thing, you might find the lack of variety a bit limiting.

I've been drinking in the Fullback for 25-30-odd years, and love it. A weird but brilliant combination of back street boozer, cub hut and Ewok village. As Izlington says, stop in there for a couple of pints and you'll get a good feel for the area.

Oh. And backing up what someone else said, earlier...

..Rowan's is ALWAYS fun. With the kids, or some mates, you choose, although I assume OP's daughter not ready for ramps and sausages yet.

There was a good Rock pub thereabouts too, facing the station, dunno if it survived the pandemic. I'll investigate.

And Thai restaurant opposite Rowans, with a very good rep. Been there once, was great.
Login to get fewer ads

Living in North London on 08:18 - Aug 6 with 1705 viewshorshamHoop

Thanks very much to everyone who contributed, especially Konk with his detailed reply - all very useful and very much appreciated
Living in North London on 09:12 - Aug 6 with 1652 viewsdubaistu

I've a one bed flat on Station Road N22 available end of August. DM if interested
Living in North London on 09:17 - Aug 6 with 1639 viewsJeff

you've all sold me!

i'm selling my 3 bed in Surrey and moving to Finsbury Park (Stroud Green Side)

Can we not knock it?

Living in North London on 09:22 - Aug 6 with 1631 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Living in North London on 09:17 - Aug 6 by Jeff

you've all sold me!

i'm selling my 3 bed in Surrey and moving to Finsbury Park (Stroud Green Side)

Should get you a decent Studio flat where you have to shit next to the oven.
Living in North London on 10:07 - Aug 6 with 1588 viewswillis1980

I know this is completely unhelpful, but I just dont get North London. I have to go up there to visit family from time to time and Panzers deli is one of the few things I enjoy up there
Living in North London on 10:08 - Aug 6 with 1586 views1MoreBrightonR

Bits of finsbury park are grim but there are some very nice streets too. Haringay and the Harringay ladder (as estate agents call it) is fantastic these days....they issues it used to have have mainly been shifted elsewhere (drugs and gangs) and its really up and coming and has fantastic food. Stroud green is also very nice and walking distance to finsbury park.

Working in old street though, anywhere on the overground running out of Liverpool street is very doable in terms of a neighbourhood. we are in Walthamstow and parts are very nice, some parts less so, but its a 15 min train from Liverpool street.
Living in North London on 10:43 - Aug 6 with 1560 viewsrobith

Living in North London on 19:05 - Aug 5 by Konk

love the Fullback, but I feel like over the last few years pre COVID it seems to get mentioned in like Time Out or something and now on rugby match days it's either impossible to get, impossible to get a drink or you have to stand in someone's armpit.

Gas craic on All Ireland day though
Living in North London on 10:48 - Aug 6 with 1552 viewsPaddyhoops

Living in North London on 11:08 - Aug 5 by Konk

I completely disagree with this. I lived around Finsbury Park/Stroud Green/Harringay/Stoke Newington for 20+ years, and there is loads to recommend. You have the same issues with crime that you get anywhere, and the area around the station/top of Blackstock Rd can be a bit moody, but it's somewhere I and everyone I know has been very happy living in, and knocking about in. Several of my mates have near bankrupted themselves to stay in the area and bring their kids up there. Have a look at the property prices and that tells you all you need to know - loads of young professionals and middle class families in the area.

I would look up the Stroud Green end as my first choice, so coming out the station, head up the Stroud Green Road, and any of the streets off there are nice/decent, and Stroud Green is nice and leafy, but obviously a longer walk to the tube. Not sure what it's like now, but the top of Blackstock Rd always had a lot of blokes milling about outside cafes, and I know a lot of women who've found that stretch a bit intimidating. Also, on the Stoke Newington side, Brownswood Rd used to be a Red light district - not sure if that's still the case.

Loads of good pubs/restaurants in the area - especially up/off Stroud Green Rd, and you have Crouch End, Stoke Newington/Newington Green, Highbury, The Angel etc on your doorstep. Harringay is also brilliant for Turkish restaurants. Excellent transport connections with the Victoria and Piccadilly lines, loads of buses, direct trains down to Old Street (10 mins or so) and up to Hatfield (20 mins on a fast train) Good for parks too - Finsbury Park is a biggun, and Clissold Park is one of my favourite parks in London.

I would have thought Finsbury Park was the perfect area for those commutes. If you can't find anything you like/can afford there, then Hornsey or Harringay would be a decent shout - slow train from either to Hatfield takes about 30 mins, and train down to Old Street would be about 15 mins or so. But I would really recommend Finsbury Park - loads going on and brilliantly located - loads on the doorstep and 10-15 minutes into the West End. I thought it was a brilliant place to live in my 20's/30's and I'd still live there now, if we could have afforded it.

EDIT: Winchmore Hill, Palmers Green, Southgate, Arnos Grove, Barnet etc: All pleasant enough, but not a lot going on, and I wouldn't have wanted to live in any of them in my 20-30's.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2021 11:12]

Lived in Bounds Green for a few years. It is a bit quiet but Muswell Hill and crouch end are a stones throw away. Great links to central London from bounds Green.
Lived in Turnpike Lane/ Wood Green in the 90s .
Place went down hill very quickly. Not for me.
Living in North London on 11:00 - Aug 6 with 1545 viewsKonk

Living in North London on 08:18 - Aug 6 by horshamHoop

Thanks very much to everyone who contributed, especially Konk with his detailed reply - all very useful and very much appreciated

You're very welcome, mate. As I say, there is a fair amount of crime in N4, but to my mind, no more or less than you unfortunately would expect in inner-city London. It's a bit different to Horsham(!), but the fact that there are always people about always made me feel secure. Lots of good independent shops, and you have a Tesco, a Sainsbury's, and a Waitrose over the hill in Crouch End or on the Holloway Road.

I have a group of Dutch lads come over for the football, and they often stop at the Travelodge in FP because they like the area. Not going to win any awards, but it's fairly new and cheap, and would be a decent base if you want to spend a day/evening in the area. I would have a day or two walking around FP, Crouch End, Hornsey and Harringay and see how your daughter feels about the areas. Public transport is so extensive in London, that other suggestions like Walthamstow would work just as well (you can get the Victoria Line down to FP from Walthamstow, for those trips out to Hatfield). Some good stuff going on in Walthamstow and nearby, and excellent transport links. But for me, if budget permitted, I'd go with somewhere like FP, as it's central enough, that you can walk to so many good spots, and even right into town if you like a walk. It used to take me 15-20 mins to cycle down to The City for work from either FP or the Manor House end of Harringay. Oh, and I worked around Old Street for 20-odd years too - brilliant area for drinking/eating, and just down the road from Clerkenwell/Farringdon, The Angel etc too, so your daughter will have tons of good/interesting stuff within easy walking distance.

Off on holiday now, but give us a shout if you have any questions.

I

Living in North London on 13:02 - Aug 6 with 1513 viewssimmo

Echo the pro Finsbury Park / Harringay stuff - grew up in North London and my mrs has lived her whole life in Harringay Ladder. Green Lanes is open 24 hours, has the best Turkish restuarants in the country and transport from Finsbury Park is about the best you can get other than Kings Cross.

If she's looking for quiter / residential then as others have suggested, Oakleigh Park, Palmers Green, etc are on the rail line direct to both Old Street and Hatfield. Anything on that line is pricey but really good. I'd avoid going too far East from Old Street as certain parts a still a little ropey, but Hackney, Stoke Newington are not far away and there's LOADS happening for younger people.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2021 13:03]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Living in North London on 14:29 - Aug 6 with 1430 viewsKonk

I meant to add that the 141 will take you straight down to Old St from Harringay, and runs the length of Green Lanes.

This thread’s making me homesick.

Jeff - go for it, mate. I’m sure you’ll love it/massively regret it!

Living in North London on 15:12 - Aug 6 with 1404 viewstoboboly

Living in North London on 14:29 - Aug 6 by Konk

I meant to add that the 141 will take you straight down to Old St from Harringay, and runs the length of Green Lanes.

This thread’s making me homesick.

Jeff - go for it, mate. I’m sure you’ll love it/massively regret it!

I once did a night bus journey from Waterloo to Wood Green on the 243 as we had missed the last tube by 60 seconds. By the time I got off it had been so long I looked like i'd been in a Russian gulag.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Living in North London on 15:48 - Aug 6 with 1383 viewsBoston

Oooh, life in a North London Town…

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Living in North London on 21:09 - Aug 6 with 1295 viewsitsbiga

I'm from South of the river. Much better. Get anywhere in the Zone 2 Northern Line and you're easy for Old St. 24 yo would love Clapham Common.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2021 21:13]

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Living in North London on 23:59 - Aug 6 with 1233 viewsNorthLondonR

Finsbury Park you say?

Living in North London on 06:09 - Aug 7 with 1158 viewsalexferguson60

London's always a mix of areas. There can be the nicest area followed up quickly by an awful area. I would always tell her to take the tubes whenever possible and if she's out on a night out to get an Uber, rather than the bus.

The greatest thing for your daughter is that she can actually live anywhere in London. The commuter system is so easy - as you well know - for mass transit, so wherever she can afford would be best.
Living in North London on 10:18 - Aug 7 with 1095 viewsKonk

Living in North London on 23:59 - Aug 6 by NorthLondonR

Finsbury Park you say?

Okay, so there are seventy poisonous snakes on the loose, but you know, unfortunately you’ll find dozens of poisonous snakes gone rogue, anywhere in inner-city London…

I was up Regents Park way recently, and they’ve got lions, tigers, hippos and all sorts of shi t over there, so Finsbury Park isn’t even the most dangerous park in North London.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024