Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Racism in Cricket 21:39 - Nov 18 with 5265 viewswimborne_dale

Feeling somewhat mortified by all the recent revelations.
What a contrast with the way it was back in the 60s and 70s. Who remembers Farohk Engineer playing for Lancs? And of course the great Clive; he was so proud to play for Lancashire. And there was Lord Constantine of Trinidad and Nelson in the County Paletine of Lancaster, a title chosen to honour his place of birth and the kindness of the people who had received him in Lancashire.
Where's it all gone wrong?

Edgar Allan's Crow

Racism in Cricket on 22:16 - Nov 18 with 3729 viewsR17ALE

No doubt Roding Dale will be along to question whether we should be training at Rochdale Cricket Club.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Racism in Cricket on 22:25 - Nov 18 with 3708 viewsnordenblue

While the chap in the middle of the storm has today now had to apologise for sending antisemitic texts some time back, you couldn't make up some of this stuff thats coming out...
Racism in Cricket on 22:30 - Nov 18 with 3694 viewspioneer

Not forgetting Rochdale's 'own' Sonny Ramadhin, one of those "two little friends of mine' and the Abeds who left apartheid SA to play cricket at Rochdale CC.
Racism in Cricket on 22:58 - Nov 18 with 3650 viewsEllDale

As did the Abrahams family who were such stalwarts at Milnrow.
A favourite of mine at Dane St was Juggy Sabhawarl.
Racism in Cricket on 09:56 - Nov 19 with 3424 viewsNigeriamark

There was a lot of racism in those days too. However with social media, more journalists taking it seriously and less acceptance by societies of minorities having to accept it as "banter" it is now being tackled properly as it should be

My only concern is when it develops into a witch-hunt. We clearly need to weed out racists/sexists/homophobes etc, but I worry when someone may have said something just once a number of years ago and nothing else since. Doesn't make it right but action needs to be proportionate

edit: Clive Lloyd was the reason I went to see my first Lancs game, my first cricket hero. I think he was out for 1 !!!
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 9:57]
Racism in Cricket on 10:12 - Nov 19 with 3394 viewsSuddenLad

Sir Learie Constantine was a world famous cricketer who plied his trade at Dane Street, became a major politician in is homeland and on the world stage, and had a street named after him in Rochdale Town Centre. Not bad for the era in which he was prominent.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Racism in Cricket on 10:33 - Nov 19 with 3371 viewsDorkingDale

Feeling a bit nervous about what else will come out - hope that Lancashire isn't implicated.
Racism in Cricket on 11:21 - Nov 19 with 3314 viewsDiddyDave

Racism in Cricket on 09:56 - Nov 19 by Nigeriamark

There was a lot of racism in those days too. However with social media, more journalists taking it seriously and less acceptance by societies of minorities having to accept it as "banter" it is now being tackled properly as it should be

My only concern is when it develops into a witch-hunt. We clearly need to weed out racists/sexists/homophobes etc, but I worry when someone may have said something just once a number of years ago and nothing else since. Doesn't make it right but action needs to be proportionate

edit: Clive Lloyd was the reason I went to see my first Lancs game, my first cricket hero. I think he was out for 1 !!!
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 9:57]

Too late mate, the witch hunt has already started. Some woman who played for England a few years ago says she got hate mail and told to go home in less than parliamentary language. The Pandora`s Box has been opened by a bloke who himself agrees to having vilified another bloke ten years ago. As has been stated, you couldn`t make this up.
Login to get fewer ads

Racism in Cricket on 12:03 - Nov 19 with 3254 views442Dale

Racism in Cricket on 11:21 - Nov 19 by DiddyDave

Too late mate, the witch hunt has already started. Some woman who played for England a few years ago says she got hate mail and told to go home in less than parliamentary language. The Pandora`s Box has been opened by a bloke who himself agrees to having vilified another bloke ten years ago. As has been stated, you couldn`t make this up.

So what route do you think should be taken?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Racism in Cricket on 13:16 - Nov 19 with 3159 viewsDaley_Lama

Tim Paine has today lost captaincy for sexist messages in 2017

In 2017 he was investigated
In 2018 he was exonerated
In 2018 he was appointed captain

How CA appointed him in 2018 is the big heck up
Having done so then not backed him today is not far behind.

Poll: DF in or out

Racism in Cricket on 13:34 - Nov 19 with 3134 viewsAtThePeake

Do you think it's okay to racially abuse someone if that person has themselves used racist language?

Tangled up in blue.

Racism in Cricket on 13:35 - Nov 19 with 3130 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Racism in Cricket on 22:25 - Nov 18 by nordenblue

While the chap in the middle of the storm has today now had to apologise for sending antisemitic texts some time back, you couldn't make up some of this stuff thats coming out...

Pot & kettle springs to mind (can I say that these days)…??
Racism in Cricket on 13:42 - Nov 19 with 3105 viewstony_roch975

Racism in Cricket on 13:35 - Nov 19 by Plattyswrinklynuts

Pot & kettle springs to mind (can I say that these days)…??

fair enough to accept that the moral high ground is a slippery spot and we all judge others at our peril but ATP's question remains - do you think it's ok to racially abuse someone who has done the same; that useful old adage about two wrongs still applies

ps you can, as long as you don't culturally appropriate the handle and spout

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Racism in Cricket on 14:05 - Nov 19 with 3081 views49thseason

Racism in Cricket on 22:16 - Nov 18 by R17ALE

No doubt Roding Dale will be along to question whether we should be training at Rochdale Cricket Club.

We dont train at the Cricket club, we train on the pitches of Rochdale Lacrosse Club formed in 1888 and one of the 10 oldest Lacrosse clubs in the world.
RAFC, also use some of the club house facilities at Rochdale Sports Club which comprises 3 sections, Cricket, Lacrosse and Squash.
Sorry to be a pedant!
Racism in Cricket on 14:27 - Nov 19 with 3050 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Racism in Cricket on 13:42 - Nov 19 by tony_roch975

fair enough to accept that the moral high ground is a slippery spot and we all judge others at our peril but ATP's question remains - do you think it's ok to racially abuse someone who has done the same; that useful old adage about two wrongs still applies

ps you can, as long as you don't culturally appropriate the handle and spout

Oops…
Racism in Cricket on 15:01 - Nov 19 with 2999 views49thseason

I suppose the question needs to be asked.. why now? Rafiq left YCCC in 2018 after being employed and re-employed there for some 8 years. In that time he played in just 39 county games and a number of one day and 95 T20 games. Primarily a bowler, he took 3 "5 fers" in all types of cricket. He was the second Asian to play for Yorkshire in the 2000s, Adil Rasheed playing with considerable success had joined 2 years earlier.
I believe YCCC has coughed up £200k of hush money, only to find out that their former, rather indifferent, player actually regards antisematism as banter but not
" you lot". The claim that YCCC is institutionally racist is difficult to make as there is a history of giving opportunities to Asian players. His claim of being " forced to drink wine" also seems somewhat inflated when there are pictures on the internet of him swigging spirits from a bottle.
Most unforgivably, he called John Abrahams a "winker". Because he didnt want to abide by the curfew imposed on the England U19s (one wonders what he preferred to be doing?). I played with and against John over several seasons in our teens and 20s, for our respective schools and at Milnrow. As a former Lancashire Captain, John has forgotten more about Cricket and what is required to be a success than Rafiq will ever know.
Racism in Cricket on 17:47 - Nov 19 with 2861 viewsnordenblue

Racism in Cricket on 13:34 - Nov 19 by AtThePeake

Do you think it's okay to racially abuse someone if that person has themselves used racist language?

It's certainly not OK however you dress it up...yet it seems pretty fine to racially abuse someone then cry you've been racially abused, you not see the hypocrisy in that?
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 17:48]
Racism in Cricket on 18:11 - Nov 19 with 2804 viewsAtThePeake

Racism in Cricket on 17:47 - Nov 19 by nordenblue

It's certainly not OK however you dress it up...yet it seems pretty fine to racially abuse someone then cry you've been racially abused, you not see the hypocrisy in that?
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 17:48]

Who said it's fine? Hypocritical it may be and he should face the consequences for what he said, but it shouldn't invalidate his own claims.

Tangled up in blue.

Racism in Cricket on 18:15 - Nov 19 with 2778 viewsSuddenLad

Racism in Cricket on 18:11 - Nov 19 by AtThePeake

Who said it's fine? Hypocritical it may be and he should face the consequences for what he said, but it shouldn't invalidate his own claims.

Should he now hand back the £200,000 or donate it to a Jewish charity?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Racism in Cricket on 18:22 - Nov 19 with 2765 viewsAtThePeake

Racism in Cricket on 18:15 - Nov 19 by SuddenLad

To be honest I had no idea about any £200,000 he received, I haven't followed the case that closely. All I know is that, like Tony pointed out earlier, two wrongs don't make a right. Like I said, he should face the consequences, much like those who racially abused him should.

To me, the attitude of 'well he said something racist himself!' seems as though it's attempting to absolve any of the perpetrators of racist abuse against him and it misses the point completely. Both Rafiq and those at Yorkshire CC should face the consequences for their actions.

Tangled up in blue.

Racism in Cricket on 18:43 - Nov 19 with 2714 viewsfunkkk

Strange OP. In general do you think society is more or less racist than it was in the 60s & 70s?
Racism in Cricket on 19:24 - Nov 19 with 2623 viewsBrierls

Racism in Cricket on 13:34 - Nov 19 by AtThePeake

I don’t think DiddyDave will have the bollocks to answer that, ATP. Not truthfully anyway. His posts tell you all you need to know, unless he’s just massively misunderstood…

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/forum/278242/4315572/tony-collin
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 19:30]
Racism in Cricket on 19:42 - Nov 19 with 2572 viewsTVOS1907

That 'some woman' is a regular commentator and co-commentator on Sky and the BBC, where she talks a lot more sense and offers much more insight than some of her male counterparts.

She was also capped 98 times by England in ODI women's cricket.

While women's cricket (and football) isn't something that interests me personally, I think someone who has been so successful in her own field deserves a lot more respect than to be referred to as 'some woman' by someone who hasn't even got the basic decency to use her actual name.

You're right, you couldn't make it up.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 19:43]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Racism in Cricket on 19:45 - Nov 19 with 2555 viewsnordenblue

Racism in Cricket on 18:11 - Nov 19 by AtThePeake

It's clearly fine and we all know full well what will happen, it will be swept under the carpet,would you like a wager regarding him facing the same sanctions for his own racist comments, the exact ones he's now banging on about others as being so wrong?

It's amazing how all the folk he's mentioned are all instantly guilty with their names plastered all over the show without even having a chance to give their side first, is that how a "fair" legal process operates?
Racism in Cricket on 19:48 - Nov 19 with 2548 viewsnordenblue

Racism in Cricket on 18:15 - Nov 19 by SuddenLad

We know that will be the case, im sure he'll hand it all back over as this clearly has nothing to do with money.......
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024