Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Day "Gimmicks" 01:04 - Nov 29 with 8508 viewsmikehunt

Thought I would open a thread for people to leave some ideas to augment the matchday experience.
My thought was to resurrect some of the half time games with a "man on the pitch" etc. Somewhat corny but there was a bit of entertainment: particularly when a home fan and opposition fan competed.
Another lovely gesture a few years back was at a Christmas game when our team ran to the four sides of the ground with Dale Santa hats and gave them out to kids in the crowd. If we could get the opposition team to bring some of their gifts for their supporters, that would make everybody happy (well me at any rate).

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 15:51 - Nov 29 with 3437 views49thseason

Ahh, where to begin? Matchday Experience, and why is it important? The sense of belonging comes from participation, being made to feel welcome and appreciated. Going the extra mile may cost money in the short term but the long term value of a lifelong supporter puts it in the shade.
But when there is no real attempt to make the experience memorable its too easy for some people to simply walk away , especially when the product has been as dire as it has been for nearly 5 years now. A pal of mine has called "time" on the whole thing after over 60 years of watching Rochdale games and he has decided to walk away, fed up with the appalling standard of entertainment on the pitch, the amateurish pre-match entertainment, the inability to simply walk up and pay on the day. The either too loud or silent tannoy (or should that be "annoy") system and a dozen more petty grumbles have made his decision easy.

We have to get beyond "Pies and Pints" as the standard level of thought, Hopefully our new board is working on this. Spotland has to become a place that exudes a new attitude , a re-branding if you will, becoming a place that has the best facilities from simple things like clean seats and loos, to conference facilities with great menus and superb organisation.

Once the club becomes somewhere people can be proud of, somewhere that makes visiting fans wonder what their club is doing wrong, people will want to get involved. But there is no point in having a new broom that doesn't get into the grubby little corners.

So...For kids, Desmond needs a makeover, where is digital Desmond? where is the kids page on the website? Where are the online Desmond story books ? Where did Desmond come from, why is he the Dale dragon and not someone else's? Where are the Desmond hats and scarves for kids? Why is Desmond green and not blue?
*Why isn't there a free half time draw for a kids shirt - just for kids?
* Why do we not acknowledge kids birthdays on our new screen?
*Lets get kids to send half time selfies and put them on the screen and the website.

And then there is the colour "thing" I am not personally wedded to blue and white ,(or black). Especially against a mainly blue background of empty seats and poor lights. If we want to become the "new" "fresh" Dale. Blue isn't a welcoming colour, psychologically it is cold and unfriendly, whereas Red is about warmth, energy and stimulation, and Yellow is about 0ptimism, confidence, self-esteem, extraversion, emotional strength, friendliness, creativity
Yellow and a shade of red would be great colours within the ground. Maybe we should repaint all the seats over the summer and play in a Watford colour scheme. (ouch don't hit me! its only and idea). Put simply, I think we need to throw away the past and step out as the bright shiny Dale of 2022. We have nothing of real note in our history so starting afresh should be easy. Continuing to do the same things over and over is not a plan, its just lazy thinking, we have had our fill of that and its time for changes , to think the unthinkable and then do it.

Lets re-imagine the club with fantastic customer service, great prices, excellent food kiosks and bars with brilliant corporate catering. Where we have 300, 400, 500 community ambassadors selling Gold Bond and scratch cards and match tickets and kids parties and wedding receptions. A club which interacts meaningfully with the 500 junior teams in the Borough and all the Primary and Secondary schools, and the pubs and clubs . Imagine a club that has 5-6000 regular fans attending, with 1000 kids in tow, where the loos are clean and everything works properly and the focus is on giving everyone the best afternoon or evening they have ever had at a football match. When you are the best of the best , everything gets easier, people want to be on your team, they want to get involved and getting sponsors is a doddle.
There has to be excitement, a sense of occasion, something unexpected, something that makes you think "this is my club and its brilliant". Everything has a cost, but what is the price of not doing things? If you spend £10 now and get a season ticket sale next year and for the next 50 years and for 2 or 3 generations its money fantastically well spent!

So ladies and gentlemen let us seize the day, offer our skills and talents, sort out the problems , stifle the moaning . Lets be confident, this IS our club now, its up to us where we go next , If we want fireworks before a game , or a Brass Band or games on the pitch at half time, then lets get on with it! Enough of the old "we tried that, it didn't work" mentality , I want a revolution! And I want it now! I want my club to rise from the mundane and become the best it can possibly be and in doing so we will rise up the divisions, we just need to dream big enough and DO IT!
If I can help, I am more than willing, I have time and skills and enthusiasm and there are lots like me, lets get going!
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 15:57 - Nov 29 with 3428 views442Dale

Defending set-pieces.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:22 - Nov 29 with 3384 viewsAtThePeake

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 15:51 - Nov 29 by 49thseason

Ahh, where to begin? Matchday Experience, and why is it important? The sense of belonging comes from participation, being made to feel welcome and appreciated. Going the extra mile may cost money in the short term but the long term value of a lifelong supporter puts it in the shade.
But when there is no real attempt to make the experience memorable its too easy for some people to simply walk away , especially when the product has been as dire as it has been for nearly 5 years now. A pal of mine has called "time" on the whole thing after over 60 years of watching Rochdale games and he has decided to walk away, fed up with the appalling standard of entertainment on the pitch, the amateurish pre-match entertainment, the inability to simply walk up and pay on the day. The either too loud or silent tannoy (or should that be "annoy") system and a dozen more petty grumbles have made his decision easy.

We have to get beyond "Pies and Pints" as the standard level of thought, Hopefully our new board is working on this. Spotland has to become a place that exudes a new attitude , a re-branding if you will, becoming a place that has the best facilities from simple things like clean seats and loos, to conference facilities with great menus and superb organisation.

Once the club becomes somewhere people can be proud of, somewhere that makes visiting fans wonder what their club is doing wrong, people will want to get involved. But there is no point in having a new broom that doesn't get into the grubby little corners.

So...For kids, Desmond needs a makeover, where is digital Desmond? where is the kids page on the website? Where are the online Desmond story books ? Where did Desmond come from, why is he the Dale dragon and not someone else's? Where are the Desmond hats and scarves for kids? Why is Desmond green and not blue?
*Why isn't there a free half time draw for a kids shirt - just for kids?
* Why do we not acknowledge kids birthdays on our new screen?
*Lets get kids to send half time selfies and put them on the screen and the website.

And then there is the colour "thing" I am not personally wedded to blue and white ,(or black). Especially against a mainly blue background of empty seats and poor lights. If we want to become the "new" "fresh" Dale. Blue isn't a welcoming colour, psychologically it is cold and unfriendly, whereas Red is about warmth, energy and stimulation, and Yellow is about 0ptimism, confidence, self-esteem, extraversion, emotional strength, friendliness, creativity
Yellow and a shade of red would be great colours within the ground. Maybe we should repaint all the seats over the summer and play in a Watford colour scheme. (ouch don't hit me! its only and idea). Put simply, I think we need to throw away the past and step out as the bright shiny Dale of 2022. We have nothing of real note in our history so starting afresh should be easy. Continuing to do the same things over and over is not a plan, its just lazy thinking, we have had our fill of that and its time for changes , to think the unthinkable and then do it.

Lets re-imagine the club with fantastic customer service, great prices, excellent food kiosks and bars with brilliant corporate catering. Where we have 300, 400, 500 community ambassadors selling Gold Bond and scratch cards and match tickets and kids parties and wedding receptions. A club which interacts meaningfully with the 500 junior teams in the Borough and all the Primary and Secondary schools, and the pubs and clubs . Imagine a club that has 5-6000 regular fans attending, with 1000 kids in tow, where the loos are clean and everything works properly and the focus is on giving everyone the best afternoon or evening they have ever had at a football match. When you are the best of the best , everything gets easier, people want to be on your team, they want to get involved and getting sponsors is a doddle.
There has to be excitement, a sense of occasion, something unexpected, something that makes you think "this is my club and its brilliant". Everything has a cost, but what is the price of not doing things? If you spend £10 now and get a season ticket sale next year and for the next 50 years and for 2 or 3 generations its money fantastically well spent!

So ladies and gentlemen let us seize the day, offer our skills and talents, sort out the problems , stifle the moaning . Lets be confident, this IS our club now, its up to us where we go next , If we want fireworks before a game , or a Brass Band or games on the pitch at half time, then lets get on with it! Enough of the old "we tried that, it didn't work" mentality , I want a revolution! And I want it now! I want my club to rise from the mundane and become the best it can possibly be and in doing so we will rise up the divisions, we just need to dream big enough and DO IT!
If I can help, I am more than willing, I have time and skills and enthusiasm and there are lots like me, lets get going!

But what if we really, really don't want fireworks before a game or a Brass Band or games on the pitch at half time?

Tangled up in blue.

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:33 - Nov 29 with 3355 viewsDelboy

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:22 - Nov 29 by AtThePeake

But what if we really, really don't want fireworks before a game or a Brass Band or games on the pitch at half time?

And that one sentence sums up why we will never move into a new and more imaginative future !!
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:34 - Nov 29 with 3350 viewsboromat

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:22 - Nov 29 by AtThePeake

On the Tannoy it was turned down quite considerably in the main stand on Saturday.

I think the early signs from the new board are good. Catering has improved. There's been a few additional things done on none match days. There was obviously the additional stuff put in for the 100 years in the football league and I'm sure there will be even more ideas trialled going forwards.

The Ratcliffe seems to have lots of events planned as well, let's hope they're all successful.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:36 - Nov 29 with 3350 viewsdingdangblue

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 15:57 - Nov 29 by 442Dale

Defending set-pieces.

C'mon they have to be realistic suggestions.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:45 - Nov 29 with 3318 views442Dale

Sorry, I read a suggestion about changing our colours. The fallout from that would outweighs any perceived psychological benefit.

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:46 - Nov 29 with 3310 viewsDalenet

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:34 - Nov 29 by boromat

On the Tannoy it was turned down quite considerably in the main stand on Saturday.

I think the early signs from the new board are good. Catering has improved. There's been a few additional things done on none match days. There was obviously the additional stuff put in for the 100 years in the football league and I'm sure there will be even more ideas trialled going forwards.

The Ratcliffe seems to have lots of events planned as well, let's hope they're all successful.

The tannoy is a continuous hot topic. The trouble is Dave. He shouts. He isn't in a nightclub full of drunk deaf people when at Dale. When he is absent we all hear the tannoy at an acceptable level.

I agree with others that we need to up our game. Todays kids and families have choices. Spotland is scruffy now and the promised upgrades promised two years ago seem to have been focussed on the hospitality areas. I have chatted to a number of first time visitors this season and it was pleasing to see, but none have returned for a second go? I wonder why? The club needs to understand that. They have the contact details of ticket holders and they should be asking
Login to get fewer ads

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:59 - Nov 29 with 3281 viewsR17ALE

Turn the speakers down!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 17:13 - Nov 29 with 3246 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:59 - Nov 29 by R17ALE

Turn the speakers down!

Here's one.....perhaps a bit drippy but hey ho.

I was watching a programme about HMS Belfast the WW2 battleship moored on the River Thames in London and visited by millions(?) each year. Well worth a visit for those who aint seen it.

The researcher asked the Curator what he liked best that brought "the ship to life" and he said without hesitation the flying of the ships flag!

Good idea? Why not? I like it.....maybe we can have more than one "sponsored " by the Club, The Dale Trust and anyone else who care to pay for it, even a Union Jack,shock horror? Just a bit of pomp. Flag poles would have to be sited away from areas where idiots would attempt to climb up, perhaps accessible above the Main Stand.

Comments people?
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 12:04]
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 17:32 - Nov 29 with 3201 viewsTVOS1907

Turn the speakers down!

Or off.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 17:36 - Nov 29 with 3189 viewskel

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 16:46 - Nov 29 by Dalenet

The tannoy is a continuous hot topic. The trouble is Dave. He shouts. He isn't in a nightclub full of drunk deaf people when at Dale. When he is absent we all hear the tannoy at an acceptable level.

I agree with others that we need to up our game. Todays kids and families have choices. Spotland is scruffy now and the promised upgrades promised two years ago seem to have been focussed on the hospitality areas. I have chatted to a number of first time visitors this season and it was pleasing to see, but none have returned for a second go? I wonder why? The club needs to understand that. They have the contact details of ticket holders and they should be asking

The problem is that he won’t be told. He knows best and anyone who disagrees is a “peado” (sic).
[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 17:37]
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:01 - Nov 29 with 3150 viewsDaleaholic

First and foremost, you need a good product on the pitch. So there's an issue when we're mid-table in League 2. If the team can't entertain then people aren't going to be bothered about a santa hat or a flag.

In this day and age, most people go on their phones at half time or go into the bar for a beer... Nobody's come to the game to watch Steve from Hartlepool try and hit the crossbar.

What about match highlights on the scoreboard? Or highlights from previous matches. We've got a fantastic addition to the ground, lets use it!!!

What about half time scores on the screen?

Perhaps a more eclectic playlist for the music? Why do we have to endure the same songs every game? Mix it up with some current songs, some more upbeat tunes, some that the younger fans might appreciate and know. It's as though the music is kept the same just for social media praise and to impress away fans.

Poll: What should happen with the 'Bowlee fund' money?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:05 - Nov 29 with 3141 viewsfermin

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:01 - Nov 29 by Daleaholic

First and foremost, you need a good product on the pitch. So there's an issue when we're mid-table in League 2. If the team can't entertain then people aren't going to be bothered about a santa hat or a flag.

In this day and age, most people go on their phones at half time or go into the bar for a beer... Nobody's come to the game to watch Steve from Hartlepool try and hit the crossbar.

What about match highlights on the scoreboard? Or highlights from previous matches. We've got a fantastic addition to the ground, lets use it!!!

What about half time scores on the screen?

Perhaps a more eclectic playlist for the music? Why do we have to endure the same songs every game? Mix it up with some current songs, some more upbeat tunes, some that the younger fans might appreciate and know. It's as though the music is kept the same just for social media praise and to impress away fans.

How about running some kind of competition/draw etc for people to put forward their own music for (part of) the playlist?
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:12 - Nov 29 with 3124 viewsDickydaler

Turn the speakers down!

I'm going to put my two penneth in, and probably regret it.
I'm happy with the tannoy volume (no, I'm not hard of hearing before anyone suggests it!). Granted I haven't experienced the wmg but I've never had a problem in the sandy or main stand. It gives the place a bit of atmosphere, and it blocks out a lot of the negatively, even before the match has started! Maybe the level could be reduced a little and then start to increase as the kick off approaches with a couple of louder atmosphere building tunes. I always enjoy going to some away grounds where, granted they probably have better sound systems, the build up music makes the excitement increase as 3.00 approaches.
I also don't have a problem with Dave Sweetmore as the announcer, nor his music selection.
I now await for a barrage of abuse!
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:35 - Nov 29 with 3055 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:12 - Nov 29 by Dickydaler

I'm happy with the tannoy volume (no, I'm not hard of hearing before anyone suggests it!). Granted I haven't experienced the wmg but I've never had a problem in the sandy or main stand. It gives the place a bit of atmosphere, and it blocks out a lot of the negatively, even before the match has started! Maybe the level could be reduced a little and then start to increase as the kick off approaches with a couple of louder atmosphere building tunes. I always enjoy going to some away grounds where, granted they probably have better sound systems, the build up music makes the excitement increase as 3.00 approaches.
I also don't have a problem with Dave Sweetmore as the announcer, nor his music selection.

Win At Home.
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:38 - Nov 29 with 3046 viewsTVOS1907

Obviously everyone has their own experiences, but when I've been in the Main Stand for the EFL Trophy games, I've found the tannoy significantly louder than anywhere else in the ground.

I have raised it with the Trust, but I'm not sure where they're up to with it.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:45 - Nov 29 with 3014 viewsHullDale

Before we get to matchday, little things like the social page headers still advertising Exeter (h) need to be fixed.

Its a small thing - I'd expect it should probably form part of a routine that, as soon as a match kicks off, one of the media team updates it to the next match.

We're getting a lot of positive sentiment on social media at the minute, and that header is the first thing a casual fan will see on our social pages... it needs to be right to help attract people to games, and also to match the new levels of professionalism on display elsewhere around the club.

We have a TV cup game in 6 days, including kids for a quid / dad and lad for £11, and we're still advertising a match that ended over 48 hours ago.

Update - both have been sorted already. Well done to the club for reacting so quickly - how refreshing and that 'make it right' attitude is brilliant to see
[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 20:33]
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:50 - Nov 29 with 2991 viewspioneer

Red is about warmth, energy, stimulation … and a bunch of **nkers from stretford.

Any reason why no other team in GM wear the colour …except the bastard child johnny cum lately Salford?

Id rather be dead than red.
Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:55 - Nov 29 with 2966 views442Dale

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:45 - Nov 29 by HullDale

Before we get to matchday, little things like the social page headers still advertising Exeter (h) need to be fixed.

Its a small thing - I'd expect it should probably form part of a routine that, as soon as a match kicks off, one of the media team updates it to the next match.

We're getting a lot of positive sentiment on social media at the minute, and that header is the first thing a casual fan will see on our social pages... it needs to be right to help attract people to games, and also to match the new levels of professionalism on display elsewhere around the club.

We have a TV cup game in 6 days, including kids for a quid / dad and lad for £11, and we're still advertising a match that ended over 48 hours ago.

Update - both have been sorted already. Well done to the club for reacting so quickly - how refreshing and that 'make it right' attitude is brilliant to see
[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 20:33]

Can’t someone walk their virtual dog through Twitter to check?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:58 - Nov 29 with 2951 viewsD_Alien

I find any "build-up" music false and unnecessary; anticipation of the game is enough for me, even when we've been playing rubbish!

And therein lies the danger with gimmicks. If the product on the pitch is disappointing, no amount of gimmicks will compensate for it. Nor do i need "entertaining" at half time, i'm only interested in what's happening with other games (half time scores)

I used to find the Sweetmore very limited playlist intrusive but its now assumed the status of unheard background noise, a bit like living next to a busy road

[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 19:09]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 19:22 - Nov 29 with 2860 viewsblackdogblue

My two penneth…

Local kids teams playing at half time.. Great initiative & my boy played once & enjoyed the day.
Why in the corner where the scoreboard is, empty end of away stand & in front of Pearl street yoof..??? 🤷‍♂️

Spin to win.. Health & Safety Police killed that one off 😀

Went to Wycombe & they had a half time pen shoot out for kids from home & away.. after it they all received a goody bag.. he still remembers it..

What do other Clubs do at half time, surely the FITC team must be in a focus group & share ideas / experiences???

Keep the kids entertained & bring back smoking in a designated area would also bring some lost sheep back 😀

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 19:36 - Nov 29 with 2812 views100notout

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 18:58 - Nov 29 by D_Alien

I find any "build-up" music false and unnecessary; anticipation of the game is enough for me, even when we've been playing rubbish!

And therein lies the danger with gimmicks. If the product on the pitch is disappointing, no amount of gimmicks will compensate for it. Nor do i need "entertaining" at half time, i'm only interested in what's happening with other games (half time scores)

I used to find the Sweetmore very limited playlist intrusive but its now assumed the status of unheard background noise, a bit like living next to a busy road

[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 19:09]

Like many posters on this board. you have been supporting the Dale since Adam was a lad and I've no doubt you will continue to support and attend games as long as you are able to, notwithstanding the screams over the tannoy or the shite that is sometime served up on the pitch - I'm the same as I'm sure many others are too.

So, with respect, whether you or I need "entertaining" at half time is irrelevant - its not about what "we" want or don't want - we're already hooked and will come anyway. The question is what can we do to get fresh blood in and more importantly to get them back again and again?

I remember one of the first interviews that Simon Gauge did where he talked about taking his boy to Old Trafford. He didn't like it so he brought him to Spotland and he wanted to come back. Why was that? What didn't he like about Old Trafford? What did he love about Spotland? How can we replicate that? That's the Holy Grail.

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 20:00 - Nov 29 with 2764 viewsD_Alien

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 19:36 - Nov 29 by 100notout

Like many posters on this board. you have been supporting the Dale since Adam was a lad and I've no doubt you will continue to support and attend games as long as you are able to, notwithstanding the screams over the tannoy or the shite that is sometime served up on the pitch - I'm the same as I'm sure many others are too.

So, with respect, whether you or I need "entertaining" at half time is irrelevant - its not about what "we" want or don't want - we're already hooked and will come anyway. The question is what can we do to get fresh blood in and more importantly to get them back again and again?

I remember one of the first interviews that Simon Gauge did where he talked about taking his boy to Old Trafford. He didn't like it so he brought him to Spotland and he wanted to come back. Why was that? What didn't he like about Old Trafford? What did he love about Spotland? How can we replicate that? That's the Holy Grail.

With respect, i was simply putting forward my perspective - in reply to dickydaler who quite rightly had put forward his own

I'm more than aware of all the points you've put forward, and agree with most of them

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Day "Gimmicks" on 20:23 - Nov 29 with 2711 viewsHullDale

A few thoughts from me… only a few initial ideas, and absolutely not meant as a slight on the club now. The direction we are going in, and the new board, are a breath of fresh air. All of the below are meant entirely as constructive ideas, and alongside other Dale fans I’d be happy to support the implementation of them on a voluntary basis to help out. We have so many different skills throughout the fanbase (as demonstrated over the Summer!) and if we are serious about moving forward then if we can utilise them we should do.

Outside of Matchday

- Get the basics right. Stuff like the right match being on social media, posters available to download and print advertising up and coming matches, more features like ‘ask the lads’. All three of these won’t cost anything as the people required are already employed by the club. The more ‘out of match’ stuff we do, the more we will be in the local psyche… if you search ‘Rochdale’ on twitter its full of other clubs fans, grooming gangs and tinpot local news — we need to make ‘Brand Rochdale’ more visible

- Billboards. Commit to the expenditure from now until the end of the season and have regular, consistent messaging. We have a new strapline that is MADE for positive association (‘Owned by fans for the fans’) and should be advertising every single home game on the posh new digital scoreboards around the town centre. On ‘away’ weeks, advertise stuff in the shop / dale lotto / business networking events / events at the Ratcliffe / even just have a massive Rochdale logo appearing every few minutes with the catchy tagline. Immediately plan a strategy from now until May, and stick to it.

- Community. Get the players back into local schools once a week for coaching sessions or meet and greet… give the kids a free child and adult ticket when there. Get into all of our local communities… its noticeable if you look at the fan photos each week that we have one very clear demographic in the stands, and if we want to stay relevant and increase our attendances that needs to change. Get into the community centres of different faiths, and do it consistently. Rocking up once won’t get interest… get in there every couple of weeks for an afternoon and get people talking. We can’t say it doesn’t work until we give it a really, really good go. Get back involved with stuff like the Xmas light switch on in town… have a presence at the Remembrance Day parade…. Be visible as a club at events that matter to people who may otherwise not interact with us.

- Maximise Existing Sponsors. I know a player sponsor, and they haven’t been contacted once by the club since sending the money over at the start of the season. No newsletter, no offer of exec packages at matchday, no offer of digital advertising, no brochure about room / facilities hire… nothing. There must be a captive audience of at least 40 sponsors who have spent a minimum £300 with us so far this season — why not re-engage with them? If we don’t get any more out of them this season, as least it shows the club care and want to stay in conversation… we run the risk of people not renewing for next season if it’s a ‘wham bam thank you mam’ to get a few quid in preseason and that is it. Why not run a raffle — any existing sponsor who purchases an additional sponsorship or executive box experience between now and February is entered into a draw…. One will win their sponsorship again for free next season.

- Tell our Story. There aren’t many clubs who have been through what we have in the last few months. Rather than vague references or statements, come out as a club and say how proud we are of our fans, our trust, and our new sustainable fan led club. Clearly there are some legalities around what we can say, but push it as far as we can within the rules… if we don’t tell our own story nobody else will.

- Shirts for Kids. Work with Crown Oil / Errea or somebody else to get a batch of 500/1000 first team shirts and give them away with a parent / child home ticket voucher to be used at any game this season. Get kids excited to have a shirt and go to a match. Position it right and it could be tax deductible for the business that pays for it, and it could give us fans of the future. Accy do it to great effect, so with a bit of thought and willing so could we.

- Communicate. If we have a database of fans / customers, use it. Talk to them about upcoming games. Email them about club shop sales (and make sure we have scarves etc in!). Send them links to player interviews, and run competitions for people who see the communications and start following the club on social media. Share match highlights via email, do a compilation of best bits this season with a ‘see what you’re missing’ type strapline. Have a survey on there to understand how people FEEL about the club, what would make them come to more games, and how else the club could be more involved in the community.

Matchday

- Cash Turnstiles. Find a way of making it work. If it isn’t a cash turnstile, have a cash ticket seller outside each corner of the ground with a wedge of tickets ready to buy for cash. On the morning of the match, plug heavily the fact people can pay on the day. Its maybe one of the easiest wins we have, and we shouldn’t be making it difficult for people to attend on impulse. Run social competitions of which Dale fan gets the best photo with a pay on the day friend inside the ground. Generate noise on social media.

- 5-a-side. Run 5 a side competitions on the kick pitch before and after matches — do a deal with free tickets for teams who book the pitch for the first time. With a bit of thought, it could culminate in a 5 a side on the Spotland pitch at half time of the last game of the season. Ask for fan volunteers to spread the word at the 5-a-side places that already exist in the borough. Offer a non-exec exec package… off the top of my head, £60 gets a team of 6 into the pre match competition, a pie and a pint and entry into the game.

-Fix the Sound. Whether you like the music, the style or the person for now is irrelevant. There is clearly an issue where some people attend games and get tinnitus, whereas others can’t hear it at all. Before we can start initiatives such as competitions to create the matchday playlist etc, we need to make sure the system is fit for purpose. The ground is as clean as its ever been, the pitch is as good as its ever been, we have a shiny new scoreboard… the facilities are improving and we are stuck with (I believe) the same broken sound system that we have had for easily 30 years?

-Half Time. Bring back a kick for cash type initiative… create some excitement so people look up from their phones at half time. If people are engrossed in their phones they are not interacting with anything else, be that adverts on the big screen or speakers, conversing with those around them etc. As much as we need to give people a reason to care about the club, we also need to give them a reason to interact with all that the club has to offer (and sell).

-Studds. Open Studds (& Desmond’s Den) to people who are not in the WMG. Encourage kids from all three home ends to get involved with the activities in there — it’s a great space for them now. Get players not in the matchday squad down there at 215/230 for an autographs and photographs session. Start creating heroes for the kids to remember and talk about in school on the Monday.

-More than a Mascot This one needs a bit more thinking, but surely there is more we can do than the current mascot package. If you look at what Disney stores used to do, they would run competitions for a kid to open the store on a Saturday morning with a giant golden key. All the staff would be around and make a big deal of it, you’d have proper photos taken and it would be turned into a real event that the kid would remember forever. It’s a bit American, but the ‘throwing the first pitch’ idea at baseball always gets a good reception… could the lucky kid take the first kick of the day (maybe a penalty against Desmond or something in the couple of minutes before the teams come out?). It’s a very early thought of an idea, but there must be something we can do there.

-Bars. Have them open after the match (I know Studds usually is) and show any live matches on Sky / BT directly before and after matches. Do pie and a pint deals, and get people in the habit of sticking around the ground outside of the 90 minutes to spend a bit more money with us. People are in a routine, so it won’t work straight away — but if it gets gradually busier each match and we can change people’s routines that can only be a good thing. Again — trying it once and saying it doesn’t work doesn’t give an accurate idea of its potential.

I’ve just realised this has fully turned into an essay, and these are only ideas that spring to mind whilst I’m waiting for tea to cook… there will be loads more so if I think of any I’ll add them to the thread.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 20:24]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024