Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH 14:33 - Mar 20 with 13856 viewsGreenbay

As our season crumbles - let's not forget what a wonderful 2021 we had.
We had a great ride and it gave us lots of joy and hope.
Now we're back to being realistic.
Anywhere in the top 10 is good with the players and the budget we have.
I really hope Warbs stays.
He's assembled three different teams in three years and has been very successful.
Taking over from 19th spot - he's finished 13th, then 9th and wherever we finish this season.
How long did it take Brentford to gain promotion to the Premiership?
It may take us a few seasons - but I believe that Warbs is the man to guide us there.
That's if he wants to of course.
It's no good changing manager and starting all over again.
Warbs is the man.
Yes there'll be big changes to the team for next season.
Yes we may sell a few of our better players - but none of them are really Premiership quality - although Willock and Chair could fill the subs bench at a Premier club.
Also there is the massive temptation for them of lots more money - even at other Championship sides or overseas.
None of us should stand in their way if that's what they want.
Miracles of course might happen.
We might gain 16 points from our last 8 matches and clinch a play-off spot.
Unlikely of course.
So let's start again from a stronger position than we were 3 years ago.

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:02 - Mar 20 with 2203 viewspaulparker

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 15:27 - Mar 20 by Antti_Heinola

Whichever way you look at it, next season is now a huge and very difficult job.
Barbet looks like he’s off.
Willock will likely go.
I actually think the performances of chair and dickie will mean both will stay and think dieng will too.
But we will need:
Minimum of two, likely three, maybe four full/wing backs given the four we have are out of contract in the summer, other than kakay.
New cb to replace barbet.
Replacement for willock, plus possibly one more attacker.
Another striker.
Possibly a reserve keeper.

That is seriously major surgery even if we only lose Willock. And on top of that a complete loss of form and confidence that will see us likely lose 6 or 7 of our remaining games.

How things have gone this bleak this quickly is as surprising as the turnaround in the opposite direction last january.

I think Warbs has been a fab manager for us. But i have to admit a case is building. Taking Amos off today seemed like pig headedness because with a break in front of us it simply can’t have been a sports science decision. We still would have lost, but nothing made sense about it. At that stage we needed three goals to save the season. Go for broke. Take off sanderson, go to a back 4, go with 4 up front and amos and field behind.

Your right the full back positions are a must this summer it cannot be ignored our poor we are in this department

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:16 - Mar 20 with 2138 viewsPaddyhoops

Have to admit . I was angry today. Poor substitutions , yes but we were a beaten side at that stage.
Something isn't right in the camp though and since our signing of Sanderson and Hendricks our form has fallen off a cliff .
I have no problem getting beaten by decent sides but Cardiff, Barnsley, Peterborough are not drecents sides. They've fallen over backwards trying to prove it all season. We've failed miserably against these teams. Managers fault? well..there's a pattern emerging.

Let's see where we are at the end of the season and then make decisions about the management .
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:26 - Mar 20 with 2087 viewsSharpy36

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 15:55 - Mar 20 by SK_hoops

Nuno Espirito Santos is not ever coming here in our current situation I'm sorry.

I doubt the three names would come near us in any situation let alone our current one to be fair, but why should`nt we start looking to a higher caliber of manager ?. That`s not saying i want MW gone. Things need to turn around pretty sharpish though if we`re going to end this season on a high, but the signs are not looking very good.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:39 - Mar 20 with 2036 viewsHarbour

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:26 - Mar 20 by Sharpy36

I doubt the three names would come near us in any situation let alone our current one to be fair, but why should`nt we start looking to a higher caliber of manager ?. That`s not saying i want MW gone. Things need to turn around pretty sharpish though if we`re going to end this season on a high, but the signs are not looking very good.

Another manager another playing style another clear out of players have we not tried that time and time again spent a lot of money got to 16th. Think Warburton deserves more time the club achieving more on and off the pitch delivering better results with limited resources. It’s just disappointing to be in the top 6 nearly all season to then fall at the last hurdle.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:49 - Mar 20 with 2007 viewsPaddyhoops

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 15:59 - Mar 20 by ted_hendrix

Players are off form, the Manager is off form, the club has gone lethargic as have the fans (understandably)

I always treat conspiracy theory's with contempt but since the January transfer window even I'm begining to think somethings not right behind the scenes, either that or we've been playing way beyond expectations.

Warburton and our squad got us into the top six, nobody else and It's Warburton and our squad that's dumped us out of it.

I do not have an answer.

With you on the fans being lethargic Ted. Even at 1 up it was like a morgue today. It's as if we know we're not going to make the play offs.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 17:08 - Mar 20 with 1951 viewsJuzzie

Players are off form, the Manager is off form, the club has gone lethargic as have the fans (understandably)

I always treat conspiracy theory's with contempt but since the January transfer window even I'm begining to think somethings not right behind the scenes, either that or we've been playing way beyond expectations.

Warburton and our squad got us into the top six, nobody else and It's Warburton and our squad that's dumped us out of it.

I do not have an answer.

I think we’ve been playing beyond expectations.

January was great but was never going to carry on for the next three months.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 17:36 - Mar 20 with 1896 viewsstevec

Warbs has done a good job but there’s something missing when the big prize is in sight.

What he’s done to a good defence is unforgivable, his time has come I’m sad to say.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 17:47 - Mar 20 with 1869 viewsDamo1962

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 14:57 - Mar 20 by plasmahoop

I would like him to stay, but if we continue to deteriorate between now and the end of the season he might not get a new deal.

And he wouldn't be entitle to one, if we free-fall into the bottom half of the table. This is relegation form.
Login to get fewer ads

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 17:51 - Mar 20 with 1863 viewsPunteR

Seasons not over. Let's see how we finish the season before sacking him.
We know this team can do better.
The injuries are killing us though, and maybe the dressing room isn't quite right with the introduction of Gray and Sanderson. Who knows. Has MW lost the dressing room?.
I just think now isn't the right time to be thinking about sacking the manager and starting again.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 17:51 - Mar 20 with 1863 viewsDamo1962

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 15:27 - Mar 20 by ManinBlack

My worst fears came true losing to Posh again to a 7-2 aggregate mauling. It is what we do, lose to those doomed to relegation. Barnsley were down the moment they beat us and Peterborough have had it too and they join the likes of Bolton and Rotherham of beating us as they head down. Swindon and our cup exploits to lower league sides prepares me for days like today.

I am not advocating we change the manager but there is no doubt that clubs like Forest, Boro, Sheffield Utd and Luton bringing back the bitter one, has transformed them changing the manager and put them in the play off picture. Personally I would have like Chris Wilder but we have missed that boat. I would not mind Nuno as he did a fine job at Wolves but they spent a lot, I don't think he would join us with a bargain basement budget.

Many have said that we have made progress improving this season but the season finishes in May, not January, and now it feels we are in free fall and will finish lower than last season, eradicating all the good work up to January.

To be fair to Warburton he has a number of older players who seem to have run out of gas as the number of games has caught up with them. Then there are the injuries and a lack of a goal threat combined with a defence that has always been dodgy in recent years and the fact we have veered away from the entertaining style of play. The morale and belief has gone and now we look like the team in the first half of the 2020/21 season and turned full circle.

It is a blessing not to go up where our lack of pace and fitness will be ruthlessly exposed in the Premier league and clearly we are not ready for such a step up. Look at it this way, in the Premier league Fulham would be one of the easiest games on paper and they blow us away in the championship.

If we face Fulham next without Dieng, Willock and Dykes then Fulham may well add another big away win to go with the 5-1's at Huddersfield and Swansea and 7-0's at Blackburn and Reading if we play like we did second half today.

I really don't know where we go next in terms of the manager as we need younger, fitter players with some pace next season. Without this I don't see a new man in charge able to get much more out of the majority of this current squad.

Absolutely spot on analysis. 🙂
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 17:51 - Mar 20 with 1862 viewsRangersDave

Not sure Warby Warbs has the nouse, ability, motivational skills, personality, knowledge or drive to get us up, or even into the playoffs.

We were warned about his hitting a wall, ability wise, so maybe we shouldnt be surprised that we are witnessing that.

If we lose the next 2, then i'm afraid he has to go. full stop, no tears, just get rid and give a newbie an unencumbered chance at providing football and not Toblerone tippy tappy.

I'd say give Gareth a chance, hell, we've lost 3 times to Peterborough this season, not a lot worse Gareth could do IMHO

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 17:52 - Mar 20 with 1860 viewsMick_S

I do not have an answer.

I’m with you here, Ted. I can’t prove a thing, I’m nowhere near in the know, but something has gone wonky in the dressing room/training ground/club. The Amos sub today done me, given as mentioned, there is an international boredom break.

Very strange.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 18:14 - Mar 20 with 1804 viewsVancouverHoop

I don't know all the reasons for our recent collapse in form, but it's worth looking at the obvious before pointing random fingers at individuals.

1) We've had a small squad all season. Until February it worked to our advantage. The players knew each others' strengths and weaknesses. Regular minutes for the same group led to an understanding and presence that gave us a considerable advantage against many other teams. Until...

2) Many of our skill players, particularly the older ones, had prior injury records. We took a calculated chance signing them, eventually they began to wear down. We're paying for that now.

3) We've never had depth at striker. Two vets one of whom dropped in form, or health, and has more or less disappeared. The other's style didn't gel with our team formation until the last few matches. The third with a growing list of nagging injuries. This was always likely to bite us and it has.

4) Losing one keeper is unlucky, losing two scary, losing four inside two months is just plain cursed.

With hindsight you could argue we might have done things somewhat differently, but not much. We've one of the smaller budgets in the division. Blood a few more kids? Maybe, but that can cost you points too. Given our size and budget perhaps three-quarters of a season in this division is about right for the kind of club we are right now. Last year we were rubbish in the first quarter, this year we appear to be falling apart in the last quarter, which is far more deflating. Next year...?
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 18:32 - Mar 20 with 1775 viewsnadera78

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 15:27 - Mar 20 by Antti_Heinola

Whichever way you look at it, next season is now a huge and very difficult job.
Barbet looks like he’s off.
Willock will likely go.
I actually think the performances of chair and dickie will mean both will stay and think dieng will too.
But we will need:
Minimum of two, likely three, maybe four full/wing backs given the four we have are out of contract in the summer, other than kakay.
New cb to replace barbet.
Replacement for willock, plus possibly one more attacker.
Another striker.
Possibly a reserve keeper.

That is seriously major surgery even if we only lose Willock. And on top of that a complete loss of form and confidence that will see us likely lose 6 or 7 of our remaining games.

How things have gone this bleak this quickly is as surprising as the turnaround in the opposite direction last january.

I think Warbs has been a fab manager for us. But i have to admit a case is building. Taking Amos off today seemed like pig headedness because with a break in front of us it simply can’t have been a sports science decision. We still would have lost, but nothing made sense about it. At that stage we needed three goals to save the season. Go for broke. Take off sanderson, go to a back 4, go with 4 up front and amos and field behind.

I struggle to believe any PL club would be interested in Dickie, despite the early season newspaper articles. A lesser Matt Connolly (a player I liked btw). The ludicrous situation today where he insisted on receiving goal kicks from Westwood on our six yard line and attempting to dribble out made me question everything I've ever known about the game of football.

Re Warburton, I think you're right that a case against him is slowly building, which is a bizarre thing to say given the 2021 calendar year. I see a team that has spells of good football and well-worked goals, but also a consistent inability to do some very basic things - poor marking, throw-ins where static players look at one another dumbfoundedly, set pieces that frighten nobody.

I have a growing feeling that Warburton is an excellent development coach - see his time at Brentford, his work here with Eze and Willock - and that's great. But I don't see much to suggest he can produce the sort of situational, team-based coaching improvements that produce consistent performances. I still see a team that, ultimately, lacks structure and falls apart when things don't go quite to plan.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 18:41 - Mar 20 with 1749 viewspaulhoop2

Gareth Ainsworth any one ?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 18:47 - Mar 20 with 1732 viewssandsofporto

Not sure i agree

As someone else has said QPR need to be more ruthless, although difficult to say who should replace him. I do like Chris Wilder but he has gone to borough which is a shame.

Is there someone in the lower leagues.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 18:55 - Mar 20 with 1691 viewsbosh67

Basically I think we have over achieved this year.

Warbs and the bard got in the players that kicked on so hard last season and for various reasons most of those players have struggled with injuries, witness and all sorts of other problems. Sanderson and Hendrick simply haven't worked and appear to have unsettled the team (not their fault).

Losing Dieng has been huge. Losing Dykes for so long has hurt us. We are over reliant on Grey and I think that lack of a consistent striker has hurt big time. You look at Grey, Austin and Dykes and fully fit you think, we should be doing something.

I think we have over achieved given the amazing level of injuries in certain key positions all over the pitch, which gets overlooked pretty often.

For me we give it our best go to be in or around this season. I personally feel the morale is low at the moment and perhaps the lesson learnt this season is that you don't send your own potential players on loan. You play them in the B squad and you don't rely on loans. When they get their chance, put them in.

For me Warburton is still very much the best bet we have for building the right squad. It has to be young, it has to be dynamic and it has to instil the right mentality of promoting from within. Given our financial model I really think we have to become more home grown and more confident to blood some of the players, and stick with them, that we seem to be keen to loan out.

But, given the level of injuries and so much in the same positions I would say we have to let Warburton rebuild again next season. Changing managers won't really do anything apart from unsettle the club again. Generally, apart from this very very poor period, we have improved. Our playing style has improved and the club is on an even keel.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 19:01 - Mar 20 with 1667 viewsWegerles_Stairs

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 18:47 - Mar 20 by sandsofporto

Not sure i agree

As someone else has said QPR need to be more ruthless, although difficult to say who should replace him. I do like Chris Wilder but he has gone to borough which is a shame.

DoF should be identifying suitable candidates from around the world. How did Huddersfield get their coach? Norwich find Farke? Brentford get the tosser with the watch? Fed up with this humble bullshit around our club; we're in the second tier of the biggest league in the world. We need someone who will get us playing fast, attacking football on the front foot. Warburton's been lucky this season; without Willock we'd be near the bottom. That second half today was his P45.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 19:12 - Mar 20 with 1646 viewsBostonR

Warbs biggest issue is his reluctance to acknowledge that defences win you prizes. He’s a forward based coach who is a fully paid up member of possession football. This is the arrogance that got him sacked at Brentford.
We’ve seen this approach for a few seasons and just when he gets a solid defence, a ball playing midfield and a decent strike force he rips up the defensive side of the team. In my opinion, he will never get a Championship side (on a modest budget) promoted, like QPR.
We’ve missed out on Chris Wilder (who I think would have been a great match) and no one really springs to mind other than Neil Critchley at Blackpool.
We won’t make the play-offs. Les and Lee need to sort it out with Warbs very quickly and give him a stern warning on his shit-show approach since January.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 19:12 - Mar 20 with 1648 viewsjohncharles

If we make the playoffs all the moaners will be queuing up for tickets.

Strong and stable my arse.

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 19:12 - Mar 20 with 1645 viewsDannytheR

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 18:47 - Mar 20 by sandsofporto

Not sure i agree

The new man at Bristol Rovers is doing very well. Young, forward-thinking, could just be the ticket.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2022 19:16]
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 20:33 - Mar 20 with 1546 viewsWesty75

Having just watched his post match comments, you can see how gutted and committed he is. Let him clear out some of the dead wood in the summer and we go again. He’s pulled together a very good squad of players and brought us some great moments this season. Definitely sticking with him.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 20:39 - Mar 20 with 1535 viewsozexile

It'll be Eustace.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 21:03 - Mar 20 with 1480 viewsdigswellhoop

Wherever we finish we need a change of the way the club is run i know its started but we need an investor new to my club
so called legends have proved to be the wrong way so change the mentality of the club WE ARE AN AVERAGE SIDE we are championship club and that i dont mind because it's the best league in the country
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 21:16 - Mar 20 with 1454 viewsGreenbay

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 18:55 - Mar 20 by bosh67

Basically I think we have over achieved this year.

Warbs and the bard got in the players that kicked on so hard last season and for various reasons most of those players have struggled with injuries, witness and all sorts of other problems. Sanderson and Hendrick simply haven't worked and appear to have unsettled the team (not their fault).

Losing Dieng has been huge. Losing Dykes for so long has hurt us. We are over reliant on Grey and I think that lack of a consistent striker has hurt big time. You look at Grey, Austin and Dykes and fully fit you think, we should be doing something.

I think we have over achieved given the amazing level of injuries in certain key positions all over the pitch, which gets overlooked pretty often.

For me we give it our best go to be in or around this season. I personally feel the morale is low at the moment and perhaps the lesson learnt this season is that you don't send your own potential players on loan. You play them in the B squad and you don't rely on loans. When they get their chance, put them in.

For me Warburton is still very much the best bet we have for building the right squad. It has to be young, it has to be dynamic and it has to instil the right mentality of promoting from within. Given our financial model I really think we have to become more home grown and more confident to blood some of the players, and stick with them, that we seem to be keen to loan out.

But, given the level of injuries and so much in the same positions I would say we have to let Warburton rebuild again next season. Changing managers won't really do anything apart from unsettle the club again. Generally, apart from this very very poor period, we have improved. Our playing style has improved and the club is on an even keel.

Spot on Bosh.
Totally agree with your assessment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024