Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH 14:33 - Mar 20 with 14852 viewsGreenbay

As our season crumbles - let's not forget what a wonderful 2021 we had.
We had a great ride and it gave us lots of joy and hope.
Now we're back to being realistic.
Anywhere in the top 10 is good with the players and the budget we have.
I really hope Warbs stays.
He's assembled three different teams in three years and has been very successful.
Taking over from 19th spot - he's finished 13th, then 9th and wherever we finish this season.
How long did it take Brentford to gain promotion to the Premiership?
It may take us a few seasons - but I believe that Warbs is the man to guide us there.
That's if he wants to of course.
It's no good changing manager and starting all over again.
Warbs is the man.
Yes there'll be big changes to the team for next season.
Yes we may sell a few of our better players - but none of them are really Premiership quality - although Willock and Chair could fill the subs bench at a Premier club.
Also there is the massive temptation for them of lots more money - even at other Championship sides or overseas.
None of us should stand in their way if that's what they want.
Miracles of course might happen.
We might gain 16 points from our last 8 matches and clinch a play-off spot.
Unlikely of course.
So let's start again from a stronger position than we were 3 years ago.

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 07:02 - Mar 22 with 2602 viewsNortholt_Rs

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 20:54 - Mar 21 by DannytheR

Agree with this. Both the Barbet and Amos situations are head scratchers, but it's also important to remember neither would have been here in the first place had Warburton not brought them to the club. And that in both cases, he got all sorts of grief from fans for doing so. (Would be interesting to look back and see how many people were slating him for playing "Monsieur Barbet" and Amos the academy soft-case back at the start of last season.)

Can't and won't defend the run recently, and the decisions made yesterday were shocking. But we're a better team than when he came here, competing in a different half of the table, with players we can get a few quid for and keep building. After Hasselbaink, McLaren and Holloway, I'm surprised how quickly we now take all that for granted.

For what it's worth, I say all that having often been very sceptical of him, including when he first came here. But every time he's looked like he might have taken us as far as he can (which happened more than once), he's pulled something new out of the hat, changed things and turned it around. Again, given some of the wnkers we've had in the manager's office before, maybe that much should buy him a bit of time before we start calling for Warnock to come back again.

All that said, Hendricks and Sanderson should be on a slow train back to their parent clubs, Austin should have his contract paid up and told not to bother coming back in August, and Dykes made to appear at the next home game so we can at least establish that no-one's murdered him.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 20:55]

Don’t worry about Dykes. He’s missed the last 7 games for us due to injury but will be miraculously cured and will play for Scotland.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 08:39 - Mar 22 with 2484 viewsPastCaringNW2

Can't make an argument for replacing him unless something profoundly unlikely happens and Ferdinand picks up an FA gig with Warbs moving up to DoF.

There is part of me that thinks that this squad is not so much badly led or suffering from fitness issues or being "found out" by the oppo as actually in the process learning something about the pressure that comes with success rather than two seasons of being low budget underdogs.

I would imagine this requires something very different from a player than dealing with the pressure which comes from say the danger of relegation or personal loss of form. The minute it looked like top 2 might be something we could contend for they have been timid and found it very difficult to break games open.

How many of that squad have played a decent number of pressure games with something like that at stake and how many of those are available let alone being close to top form? Not that many.

Thomas, Dykes (as an international), Wallace (in cup games if not the SFL), Adomah, Johansen, Barbet, Austin. Anyone else done this before while filling a key role in their side?
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 08:59 - Mar 22 with 2438 viewsrobith

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 08:39 - Mar 22 by PastCaringNW2

Can't make an argument for replacing him unless something profoundly unlikely happens and Ferdinand picks up an FA gig with Warbs moving up to DoF.

There is part of me that thinks that this squad is not so much badly led or suffering from fitness issues or being "found out" by the oppo as actually in the process learning something about the pressure that comes with success rather than two seasons of being low budget underdogs.

I would imagine this requires something very different from a player than dealing with the pressure which comes from say the danger of relegation or personal loss of form. The minute it looked like top 2 might be something we could contend for they have been timid and found it very difficult to break games open.

How many of that squad have played a decent number of pressure games with something like that at stake and how many of those are available let alone being close to top form? Not that many.

Thomas, Dykes (as an international), Wallace (in cup games if not the SFL), Adomah, Johansen, Barbet, Austin. Anyone else done this before while filling a key role in their side?

I agree. Ever since we got to within a couple of points of the top two, it got in the players' heads and we've been a shadow of the team we were since
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:21 - Mar 22 with 2403 viewsPunteR

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 08:39 - Mar 22 by PastCaringNW2

Warburton mentioned this in one of his press interviews.
I don't really buy it myself. We've got enough older heads with experience to settle the younger players down.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:23 - Mar 22 with 2399 viewsBurnleyhoop

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 14:42 - Mar 20 by Juzzie

Anyone who wants Warburton gone needs to not only grow up but suggest an alternative who is available and won’t cost an arm and a leg in compensation on top of the severance packages we’d have to pay out too.

It’s a disappointing situation but it’s not over yet (though probably almost) and did we honestly think we’d be in the play offs when thinking last summer about where we would finish?

Our chances of promotion this season was always entirely dependant on being able to field our best eleven on a regular basis. It simply has not happened. How many times have we had Chair, Willock and Dykes out on the pitch, fit and playing together?

Last season our medical staff were hailed as miracle workers for keeping pretty much everyone available for that tremendous end of season run in. The team has been butchered by injuries and absence throughout this season and when some have been available they have been “rested”.

We are a capable team when we have our best eleven out, playing well and fully fit. Time has also caught up with Wallace, Adomah and Austin.

Too many things have simply not gone our way this season, luck being chief among them. It happens.

We re- group in the summer and look to fix the obvious frailties that we have.

It’s not the end of the world, it’s football and this is QPR.

Keep the faith.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 11:16 - Mar 22 with 2287 viewsSilverfoxqpr

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 20:54 - Mar 21 by DannytheR

Agree with this. Both the Barbet and Amos situations are head scratchers, but it's also important to remember neither would have been here in the first place had Warburton not brought them to the club. And that in both cases, he got all sorts of grief from fans for doing so. (Would be interesting to look back and see how many people were slating him for playing "Monsieur Barbet" and Amos the academy soft-case back at the start of last season.)

Can't and won't defend the run recently, and the decisions made yesterday were shocking. But we're a better team than when he came here, competing in a different half of the table, with players we can get a few quid for and keep building. After Hasselbaink, McLaren and Holloway, I'm surprised how quickly we now take all that for granted.

For what it's worth, I say all that having often been very sceptical of him, including when he first came here. But every time he's looked like he might have taken us as far as he can (which happened more than once), he's pulled something new out of the hat, changed things and turned it around. Again, given some of the wnkers we've had in the manager's office before, maybe that much should buy him a bit of time before we start calling for Warnock to come back again.

All that said, Hendricks and Sanderson should be on a slow train back to their parent clubs, Austin should have his contract paid up and told not to bother coming back in August, and Dykes made to appear at the next home game so we can at least establish that no-one's murdered him.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 20:55]

Well said Danny, agree with all of that. Most pertinently regarding Warby Warbs' predecessors who all served up a varying pile of slop on the pitch week in week out. Sunday was bl00dy awful but just demonstrates how far we've come since and how expectations have risen under Warburton.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 11:38 - Mar 22 with 2238 viewsPastCaringNW2

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:21 - Mar 22 by PunteR

I don't really buy it myself. We've got enough older heads with experience to settle the younger players down.

I missed that. I prefer it to any theory that dismisses the loan players are wrong 'uns. Especially as Ferdinand and Warburton are always at pains to say that they are signing players on the basis of character before they even consider them on their playing merits.

Though it can only be a matter of time before people look at the L2 table and start talking about Barton as a contender. Looking good in a baseball cap being the prime qualification. Then again I remember some otherwise very sensible people on the old e mail list welcoming Vinnie Jones into the club with open arms.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 11:59 - Mar 22 with 2186 viewsTheChef

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 11:38 - Mar 22 by PastCaringNW2

I missed that. I prefer it to any theory that dismisses the loan players are wrong 'uns. Especially as Ferdinand and Warburton are always at pains to say that they are signing players on the basis of character before they even consider them on their playing merits.

Though it can only be a matter of time before people look at the L2 table and start talking about Barton as a contender. Looking good in a baseball cap being the prime qualification. Then again I remember some otherwise very sensible people on the old e mail list welcoming Vinnie Jones into the club with open arms.

Good grief, if Barton ever became manager I'd stop supporting QPR till he left.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 13:05 - Mar 22 with 2120 viewswhittocksRs

I think there are two ways you can look at it, and you'd hope the management of the club are considering everything at this stage.

The first is that Warburton is the first and only manager we've had who has been able to work and thrive within the new structure of the club: buying for little, selling for lots and making smart moves to improve overall. There's absolutely no denying he's achieved that and could still make us better.

We can also look at this season and say we have been overachieving with the budget, squad size and players at our disposal, and that any top ten finish is ultimately a decent result. A smart summer transfer window and we're set to go again next season with an improved chance of promotion. MW could easily do that, as he's proved before.

But then you have to look at the long-term plan. Is it predicated on the same manager or is a structure designed to slot different coaches in as and when required? That's what many clubs who've followed this model have done - Swansea a few years back, Brentford (who switched out Warbs of course) and Brighton, for example.

You hope, regardless of whether they still back MW, that Les, Lee Hoos and co have a list of managers identified as the type to work within our model, play the football we've developed and who could improve on what we have. If they don't and it's Warbs or bust, we're in deeper trouble than just a terrible run of form.

I'm probably on the side of keeping MW and giving him another go next season, although what I've watched since about mid-December has been incredibly worrying and is getting worse. Signings, substitutions and messaging have all been dreadful and could signal a manager who's lost his focus. I think we'll end up about 12th, which is a false position because we're better than that but I can't see the slide being arrested this side of the summer.

If the bosses decided his time was done, had a ready-made replacement and acted decisively, I'd be on board with that. What would be stupid would be sacking him and then starting the searching for someone. That would just completely derail the last three years of work and would be a disservice to MW.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 15:13 - Mar 22 with 1986 viewsNewBee

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:21 - Mar 22 by PunteR

Not making any comment on Warburton's management etc, but on the point about the older heads steadying the young players, there's also an argument that young players are often fearless, and so are unafraid to go for it.

It's like the fella who asked the parachutist: "I suppose your first jump was the worst?" and got the reply: "No, the second was the worst - with the first I didn't know what to expect!"
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 15:20 - Mar 22 with 1979 viewsjohncharles

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 07:02 - Mar 22 by Northolt_Rs

Don’t worry about Dykes. He’s missed the last 7 games for us due to injury but will be miraculously cured and will play for Scotland.

And score a hat trick 😄😄😄😄
Now wouldn’t that be nice.

Strong and stable my arse.

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:47 - Mar 22 with 1904 viewsPunteR

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 11:38 - Mar 22 by PastCaringNW2

I guess we'll find out now the pressure is off them, in terms of being in the driving seat for promotion. We're still amongst the chasing pack.
I thought the loan of Hendricks was all about experience and seeing out games when in actual fact We're are at our best when going for it and letting the younger players loose on the opposition.
Personally I think the pressure has got to MW and maybe the owners have been in his ear about promotion. Just a theory based on his bizarre decision making. I still back Warburton though. We are improving as a club, I just think we've got a bit giddy about promotion and tried to force this team over the line with the loans and maybe took our eye off the original plan of the steady rebuilding process.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 17:32 - Mar 22 with 1853 viewsPastCaringNW2

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 16:47 - Mar 22 by PunteR

I guess we'll find out now the pressure is off them, in terms of being in the driving seat for promotion. We're still amongst the chasing pack.
I thought the loan of Hendricks was all about experience and seeing out games when in actual fact We're are at our best when going for it and letting the younger players loose on the opposition.
Personally I think the pressure has got to MW and maybe the owners have been in his ear about promotion. Just a theory based on his bizarre decision making. I still back Warburton though. We are improving as a club, I just think we've got a bit giddy about promotion and tried to force this team over the line with the loans and maybe took our eye off the original plan of the steady rebuilding process.

Good measured post that.

The devil in devil-may-care has certainly upped and left. Though having watched Chair's peculiarly out-of-sorts AFCON cameo you have to wonder if the Post Covid recovery took a lot more out of the boy than it might have other players and that he is possibly still recovering. A sub par Chair, combined with an on the treatment table Willock does not leave a lot of creativity and even the greatest manager cannot summon flair out of nothing. Commitment, fitness, shit housery, the dogged sticking to a a tactical plan? Yes. Unpredictable brilliance not so much. Wallace, Amos, Odubajo and Thomas are going to be key.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 17:54 - Mar 22 with 1824 viewsNortholt_Rs

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 15:20 - Mar 22 by johncharles

And score a hat trick 😄😄😄😄
Now wouldn’t that be nice.

Yeah terrific

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 18:58 - Mar 22 with 1779 viewskensalriser

Team has clearly been disrupted by injuries and just hasn’t been able to regain the rhythm and momentum of earlier in the season.

Calling for Warburton to go is ridiculous and a result of expectations lifting too high because of a couple of good runs. If we’d been bobbing around between 7th and 12th all season there wouldn’t even be a discussion.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 19:11 - Mar 22 with 1756 viewsNorthantsHoop

Warbs must stay, think we all know the model that has to be pursued. There are a few saleable assets in the team and I would not be suprised they have been told time to move on, while there is decent time left on their contracts and make us some money. The BOS and Manning debacle is not a position the club want to be in again. Never worth getting too attached to players we think will deliver us glory, they have a price and for our progress we have to sell and re-invest.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:23 - Mar 23 with 1542 viewsGreenbay

WARBS MUST CONTINUE
A final word - on what has turned out to be a great thread.
Lots of constructive views and varying opinions.
Some half glass full and half glass empty thoughts — just like our season.
We're all emotionally drained but now recovering after being realistic.
We all want the same thing.
We want our free-flowing football back — that Warbs created - and maybe a bit of success.
Disappointment has followed as our hopes had been raised so high.
But to raise our hopes there must have been long spells when many things went well.
The decline began in January - despite the results going our way.
Our creative flowing football disappeared.
There have been many well thought-out views on here - on why we have declined.
The loanees in January 2021 were brilliant.
The loanees this year did not have the same impact.
Who knows what’s happening on the training pitch and in the dressing room.
One thing for sure is bad luck.
Just look at our goalkeeping situation for a start.
That is just unbelievable.
It’s a contributing factor but not everything as to why we have declined.
Perhaps we should look at it in another way.
2021 was great — so Warbs was spot on.
Great football - so enjoyable to watch.
If 2021 had been just one season - we'd be in the Premier Division - knowing at the worst with relegation to follow - parachute payments would help the club massively in the years to come.
But with our small budget leading to a small squad - with the owners keeping the club going injecting over a million pounds a month - we surely have to admit - we are a wonderful but small club that has punched well above its weight.
Warbs has had a very difficult job - as we all know.
The management will surely learn from their possible mistakes.
So a good strong finish to the season is very important.
We've got just under two weeks to refresh.
But year on year improvement is required — otherwise what’s the point.
And that's what we're doing - before those final 8 games.
Warbs turned straw into gold - certainly last year - quite amazing.
Let Warbs - an honourable and honest man with good principles - continue to build.
He certainly doesn't need the money.
If he was replaced - that would be a big danger for us.
It could lead us back to those dark days of recent years.
Be careful what you wish for - for those wanting a change.
What Warbs needs now is our support - not an undermining of his confidence.
Of course he's made mistakes. Every manager does.
Even the great Alex Ferguson - with all his available pots of money — made errors.
We all make mistakes.
I know it's tough at the moment but Warbs understands our club.
He's built 3 teams that have improved our position every year.
We have been in the top six for most of the season.
Who would have believed that last August?
And all that on a shoe-string.
Even if you had one of the top Premiership managers in charge — would they be able to improve our club’s position year by year?
They solve their problems at their level by buying the best players in the world.
We don’t have that luxury.
Warbs must continue.
Last year we finished 9th with 68 points.
Anything above that is a success.
A top 10 finish is still very good.
I suspect though he will have a long sit down at the end of the season and will ask himself 'Do I need this - especially if the fans and keyboard warriors are against me?'.
If we support him - as he absolutely deserves — then surely the incremental improvement each season will continue.
Warbs has said he wants to manage in the Premiership.
Hopefully it will be with us.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:36 - Mar 23 with 1510 viewsEsox_Lucius

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:23 - Mar 23 by Greenbay

WARBS MUST CONTINUE
We want our free-flowing football back — that Warbs created - and maybe a bit of success.
But to raise our hopes there must have been long spells when many things went well.
If 2021 had been just one season - we'd be in the Premier Division - knowing at the worst with relegation to follow - parachute payments would help the club massively in the years to come.
But with our small budget leading to a small squad - with the owners keeping the club going injecting over a million pounds a month - we surely have to admit - we are a wonderful but small club that has punched well above its weight.
Let Warbs - an honourable and honest man with good principles - continue to build.
Even the great Alex Ferguson - with all his available pots of money — made errors.
We all make mistakes.
Even if you had one of the top Premiership managers in charge — would they be able to improve our club’s position year by year?
They solve their problems at their level by buying the best players in the world.
Warbs must continue.
I suspect though he will have a long sit down at the end of the season and will ask himself 'Do I need this - especially if the fans and keyboard warriors are against me?'.
If we support him - as he absolutely deserves — then surely the incremental improvement each season will continue.

The fans and the keyboard warriors are two separate entities.

The grass is always greener.

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:40 - Mar 23 with 1502 viewsGreenbay

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 09:36 - Mar 23 by Esox_Lucius

The fans and the keyboard warriors are two separate entities.

Agreed - but many fans were more than disgruntled at the end v Peterboro - and that's what Warbs heard.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 10:04 - Mar 23 with 1447 viewsfrancisbowles

WARBS MUST CONTINUE
We all make mistakes.
Warbs must continue.

Great post Greenbay.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 10:40 - Mar 23 with 1337 viewsPastCaringNW2

WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 11:59 - Mar 22 by TheChef

Good grief, if Barton ever became manager I'd stop supporting QPR till he left.

Jones was the epitome of the "be careful what you wish for" signing. Nine games and yet IIRC never played on a winning side for Rangers. The idea that he kept us up is pure fantasy.

And to think we could very easily have had Mark Kennedy if we had thrown anything like the same money at him / Liverpool. That man was quite capable of being an Adel figure and accelerated our recovery but (the perennially useless) Chris Wright went (literally) for the Hollywood name instead.

Anyway ... point being we are very much in a place where we have to hope Warburton fancies another run at it rather than the other way around.
WARBS MUST STAY WHEREVER WE FINISH on 11:46 - Mar 23 with 1248 viewsNorthantsHoop

WARBS MUST CONTINUE
We all make mistakes.
Warbs must continue.

Spot on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024