Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scunny 11:08 - Jul 18 with 13252 viewselectricblue

With the intense heat we are currently trying to cope with over the next few days, i wonder if the scunny game might be cancelled due to the excessive heat.......

Makes a change from the usual like waterlogged, ice and snow..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Scunny on 12:27 - Jul 18 with 8301 viewsDalenet

It is forecast to be 38c at 19.00 tomorrow in scunny. Thats hot and our lads don't really need to train for Doha. It would be sensible to push it back a day
Scunny on 13:15 - Jul 18 with 8163 viewsboromat

This made me smile this morning

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Scunny on 17:13 - Jul 18 with 7692 viewsEllDale

There’s an element of truth in that.
Heat isn’t the only potential issue.
Grounds without adequate sprinkling systems or other forms of watering will be rock hard.
Harder than any frozen pitch in winter in many cases and just as dangerous.
Scunny on 17:17 - Jul 18 with 7676 viewsD_Alien

Tbf, there's nowt wrong with it being scunny and warm for footy

Great training for t' England WC squad

And i predict we'll be seeing more of these types of temperatures during t' rest of summer, as this system moves up and down. Could be the same a week on Saturday for instance. Do we want t' start of the season cancelled? Do we f*ck, so get the lads prepared for any eventuality

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Scunny on 19:27 - Jul 18 with 7363 viewselectricblue

Scunny on 17:17 - Jul 18 by D_Alien

Tbf, there's nowt wrong with it being scunny and warm for footy

Great training for t' England WC squad

And i predict we'll be seeing more of these types of temperatures during t' rest of summer, as this system moves up and down. Could be the same a week on Saturday for instance. Do we want t' start of the season cancelled? Do we f*ck, so get the lads prepared for any eventuality

Prepared for what!!!!
Heat exhaustion or a possible heart attack..

Not worth it........

Scunny on 20:31 - Jul 18 with 7221 viewsD_Alien

Scunny on 19:27 - Jul 18 by electricblue

Prepared for what!!!!

Not worth it........

You may not remember the fabulous World Cup tournament that was Mexico 70

Played in temperatures at least on a level with what we're currently seeing, some of the best football ever played happened, including the England v Brazil fixture of the Banks' save legend

Do us a favour and stop pandering to the heat emergency tripe on the mainstream media. A bit of common sense goes a long way in these temperatures. What do you think they do in Italy or Spain every season?

I've yet to read a report of heat exhaustion or heart attack, unless you know better?

Scunny on 20:32 - Jul 18 with 7225 viewsDaleiLama

Scunny on 19:27 - Jul 18 by electricblue

Prepared for what!!!!

Not worth it........

Prepared for the season.

There are professional athletes riding from late morning to 5ish non-stop in almost 40 degrees of heat in France at the moment. It's why athletes train and why I'm sure we'll have someone monitoring hydration. Even if a player gets the full 90, there'll be a water break midway through each half and the HT break plus ample substitution opportunities. I'd be astonished if there's a heart attack or heat exhaustion.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Scunny on 20:36 - Jul 18 with 7211 viewsTVOS1907

This thread proves it is possible to write some derivation of Scunthorpe on here without it causing problems!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Scunny on 20:49 - Jul 18 with 7153 viewsD_Alien

Scunny on 20:36 - Jul 18 by TVOS1907

This thread proves it is possible to write some derivation of Scunthorpe on here without it causing problems!

It just needs a bit of thorpe putting into it

Scunny on 20:52 - Jul 18 with 7145 viewsdingdangblue

Didn't we once use to budget thousands of pounds every pre season to fly abroad for intense warm weather training? I don't remember anyone ever dying.🤔

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Scunny on 20:56 - Jul 18 with 7107 viewspioneer

Scunny on 20:31 - Jul 18 by D_Alien

Played in temperatures at least on a level with what we're currently seeing, some of the best football ever played happened, including the England v Brazil fixture of the Banks' save legend

Do us a favour and stop pandering to the heat emergency tripe on the mainstream media. A bit of common sense goes a long way in these temperatures. What do you think they do in Italy or Spain every season?

I've yet to read a report of heat exhaustion or heart attack, unless you know better?

USA 1994 also had games that were played in very high temps …. Mexico v Ireland in Orlando had temperatures well over 100 F as did games in Dallas and Chicago. The world cup returned to Mexico in 1986 and will resurface in USA and Mexico in 4 years time.

Kick off times will be set to satisfy European TV audiences so we should expect more of the same.
Scunny on 22:07 - Jul 18 with 6933 viewsD_Alien

Scunny on 20:56 - Jul 18 by pioneer

USA 1994 also had games that were played in very high temps …. Mexico v Ireland in Orlando had temperatures well over 100 F as did games in Dallas and Chicago. The world cup returned to Mexico in 1986 and will resurface in USA and Mexico in 4 years time.

Kick off times will be set to satisfy European TV audiences so we should expect more of the same.

You're absolutely right. I think the reason i referred to 1970 was how much progress has been made since then in managing football (and other sports) in high temperatures. Back then, nowhere near as much was known about how heat impacted upon physiology, but our lads still coped. When we got knocked out by W. Germany in the quarters it was down to poor game management (plus Banks being unavailable) and nothing to do with heat. In fact, we played 120 minutes, and our opponents were also northern European

I'm loving these temperatures. I fully understand how those with vulnerability to heat might need protecting, but closing schools? Its bollox. And when airports all over the world cope with constant heat, what's wrong with our engineers that they can't produce a runway (at Luton) that can cope on the first day above 35C?

Scunny on 22:27 - Jul 18 with 6872 viewsTVOS1907

Scunny on 22:07 - Jul 18 by D_Alien

You're absolutely right. I think the reason i referred to 1970 was how much progress has been made since then in managing football (and other sports) in high temperatures. Back then, nowhere near as much was known about how heat impacted upon physiology, but our lads still coped. When we got knocked out by W. Germany in the quarters it was down to poor game management (plus Banks being unavailable) and nothing to do with heat. In fact, we played 120 minutes, and our opponents were also northern European

I'm loving these temperatures. I fully understand how those with vulnerability to heat might need protecting, but closing schools? Its bollox. And when airports all over the world cope with constant heat, what's wrong with our engineers that they can't produce a runway (at Luton) that can cope on the first day above 35C?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Scunny on 10:58 - Jul 19 with 6457 viewsDaleiLama

Scunny on 20:31 - Jul 18 by D_Alien

Just by the by, one thing they do in Italy is sweat like troopers! I was at our plant in Tuscany last week, which was being audited by one of my customers. We had a site inspection, wearing high vis jackets, Ena Sharples hairnets and hard hats. The temps were high 30s then and the plant is full of heated vessels, boiling water, pumps etc etc. I didn't see any thermometers, but I had sweat pouring off me. I was walking around and wasn't physically "working" like a lot of the plant operatives.

It got me thinking if there was a maximum working temperature permitted and a quick Google seems to suggest that there isn't one in Italy. Of course the locals are far more acclimated to those conditions than me, who sees at least as much snow here as I did when I lived in the Dale, but I have no small amount of sympathy for those good folks this week when it's even hotter. August must be absolute bonkers.

Scunny on 11:31 - Jul 19 with 6367 viewsD_Alien

Scunny on 10:58 - Jul 19 by DaleiLama

Just by the by, one thing they do in Italy is sweat like troopers! I was at our plant in Tuscany last week, which was being audited by one of my customers. We had a site inspection, wearing high vis jackets, Ena Sharples hairnets and hard hats. The temps were high 30s then and the plant is full of heated vessels, boiling water, pumps etc etc. I didn't see any thermometers, but I had sweat pouring off me. I was walking around and wasn't physically "working" like a lot of the plant operatives.

It got me thinking if there was a maximum working temperature permitted and a quick Google seems to suggest that there isn't one in Italy. Of course the locals are far more acclimated to those conditions than me, who sees at least as much snow here as I did when I lived in the Dale, but I have no small amount of sympathy for those good folks this week when it's even hotter. August must be absolute bonkers.

DL, that site inspection... was it conducted by Village People Solutions Ltd?

[Post edited 19 Jul 2022 12:32]

Scunny on 13:56 - Jul 19 with 6150 viewsDaleiLama

Scunny on 11:31 - Jul 19 by D_Alien

DL, that site inspection... was it conducted by Village People Solutions Ltd?

[Post edited 19 Jul 2022 12:32]

They may have been head-hunters as they kept saying they wanted me as a new recruit?

Just hit 39C (102 in old money) here.

Scunny on 14:27 - Jul 19 with 6001 viewsD_Alien

Scunny on 13:56 - Jul 19 by DaleiLama

They may have been head-hunters as they kept saying they wanted me as a new recruit?

Just hit 39C (102 in old money) here.

Be careful, that hairnet will play havoc with your Mohican

Scunny on 15:05 - Jul 19 with 5904 viewsChaffRAFC

It seems unnecessary to play this game today given the horrendous temperatures.

People harping on about other countries should know that other countries are built to be able to cope with these soaring temperatures and we, quite simply are not.

There are blazes in London today, trains cancelled, tram lines damaged and now reports of power cuts. No the country hasn't come to a stop but to suggest we should all just be able to get on with things isn't right surely.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Scunny on 18:07 - Jul 19 with 5653 viewsmikehunt

I suppose I would be regarded as an elderly chap and I managed an hour and a half of tennis yesterday. I don’t play regularly but it wasn’t at all bad once you had got going.
I think, fit young persons should cope: particularly if we take a good few subs.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Scunny on 18:48 - Jul 19 with 5547 viewsboromat

Scunny on 18:53 - Jul 19 with 5508 viewselectricblue

Who is Watts?
Is he a youth player!

Scunny on 18:53 - Jul 19 with 5508 viewsisitme

Good to see Ebanks-Landell starting which should quell some of the injury concerns. It looks 352 with two strikers and a good balance of a sitter, a passer and an a forward minded midfielder.

Oscar Kelly on the bench is a surprise. I thought he was only 15, quite a promotion.
Scunny on 18:54 - Jul 19 with 5502 viewsisitme

Scunny on 18:53 - Jul 19 by electricblue

Who is Watts?
Is he a youth player!

Paddy Watts. Youth team centre back.
Scunny on 19:02 - Jul 19 with 5446 viewsboromat

That could be very close to our starting 11.

Scunny on 19:05 - Jul 19 with 5426 viewsisitme

Scunny on 19:02 - Jul 19 by boromat

That could be very close to our starting 11.

Get another right sided centre back and maybe a left wing back and you are probably not far wrong.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024