Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A change of topic 12:12 - Aug 26 with 5601 viewselectricblue

So there we have it our energy(electric-gas) are set to increase by staggering 80% that is 80p in every pound we already pay....

How do they expect house holds to pay such an increase!
I dont mean just people who are in recept of benefits but the every day people weither you work, retired, unemployed..
People are going die from this unless drastic action is taken against the increase as dont forget the prices increase again come April 3months later...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

A change of topic on 12:24 - Aug 26 with 4857 viewskel

I’m electric only so no as for me.
A change of topic on 12:37 - Aug 26 with 4796 viewsEllDale

I'm lucky inasmuch as I have a fixed tariff for both gas and electric until November 2023.
Dread to think about how I'll be able to afford it after that. Probably by postponing retirement.
A change of topic on 12:44 - Aug 26 with 4772 viewsfinberty

Not sure of exact figure but I think the majority of the UK’s electricity comes from gas-fired power stations. While the cap only relates to domestic consumers, the power generators are competing in the world’s gas markets, currently massively expensive. So relying solely on electricity does not escape this appalling increase as electricity costs will climb too.
A change of topic on 12:46 - Aug 26 with 4764 viewsrobtheb

Mine just gone from £153 per month to £250 per month, fixed for 12 month. British Gas
A change of topic on 12:57 - Aug 26 with 4730 viewselectricblue

People are going to have to make drastic choices, we already started not long after the last price increase.
So far we have reduced our holidays and that money saved is ear marked for work on our home before it goes on the market and now it looks like some of that money will not have go onto the energy costs....

I cannot see an end to these price increases for at least 2yrs and i hope i am wrong on that and it end sooner.....

A change of topic on 12:58 - Aug 26 with 4722 viewselectricblue

A change of topic on 12:46 - Aug 26 by robtheb

Mine just gone from £153 per month to £250 per month, fixed for 12 month. British Gas

A change of topic on 14:58 - Aug 26 with 4597 views49thseason

Since the 2nd of August last year the wholesale price of UK gas has risen from just over £50 per Therm to over £750 thats 100 cubic feet of gas .. your meter measures in cubic feet.
You can sèe live demand and supply here
https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
Currently gas is supplying 47% of our electricity

At a personal level it is cheaper to use gas than electricity by a factor of about 4
Cook on a gas hob if you can. Use your slow cooker.
Change all your bulbs to LEDs ( or remove bulbs you can do without)
Switch off at the sockets at night - dont leave things on standby
Wash at lower temperatures .. most powders work at 30 degrees, only use the dishwasher when its full. Use an open fire if you have a fireplace.
Chop any discretionary spending... take aways, coffees, Netflix, swap your phone to a cheaper contract if you can or PAYG ( or bin it!)
Turn off radiators in rooms you dont use and shut the door.
In extremis buy sleeping bags and warm up in the car!
A change of topic on 15:35 - Aug 26 with 4530 viewsMoonyDale

A change of topic on 14:58 - Aug 26 by 49thseason

Since the 2nd of August last year the wholesale price of UK gas has risen from just over £50 per Therm to over £750 thats 100 cubic feet of gas .. your meter measures in cubic feet.

At a personal level it is cheaper to use gas than electricity by a factor of about 4
Wash at lower temperatures .. most powders work at 30 degrees, only use the dishwasher when its full. Use an open fire if you have a fireplace.
Chop any discretionary spending... take aways, coffees, Netflix, swap your phone to a cheaper contract if you can or PAYG ( or bin it!)

Last March I turned off my gas supply at the meter, it will not be going back on at all...I cook using an air fryer and microwave, washing is done at 20 degrees on a 15 minute cycle, nothing is on standby and lighting is rarely used....dish washing is done by hand using a boiled kettle....all non essential direct debits have been cancelled, my elec and gas DD has been stopped and meter readings are sent in monthly and I pay for elecricity used, Octopus had been taking £120 monthly for dual fuel before I started my own readings, I paid my monthly bill today of £49.00 for the month...Octobers increase announced today will not be getting paid as I will carry on paying myusual ammount of around £50 a month, the October/Sept payments from the Govt that is being paid to suppliers of around £60 per month over 6 months should cover the increase..What happens in the new year when it rises again and again in march is when it will really start to impact on my finances...I'm lucky that I am on my own with a bungalow so i'm not using too much, lord help those with families who are already struggling...It shouldn't be happening in 2022 in the UK, there will be civil unrest come winter I believe....Buildings will burn, if only to keep people warm....
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 15:36]

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Login to get fewer ads

A change of topic on 15:48 - Aug 26 with 4472 views49thseason

A change of topic on 15:35 - Aug 26 by MoonyDale

Last March I turned off my gas supply at the meter, it will not be going back on at all...I cook using an air fryer and microwave, washing is done at 20 degrees on a 15 minute cycle, nothing is on standby and lighting is rarely used....dish washing is done by hand using a boiled kettle....all non essential direct debits have been cancelled, my elec and gas DD has been stopped and meter readings are sent in monthly and I pay for elecricity used, Octopus had been taking £120 monthly for dual fuel before I started my own readings, I paid my monthly bill today of £49.00 for the month...Octobers increase announced today will not be getting paid as I will carry on paying myusual ammount of around £50 a month, the October/Sept payments from the Govt that is being paid to suppliers of around £60 per month over 6 months should cover the increase..What happens in the new year when it rises again and again in march is when it will really start to impact on my finances...I'm lucky that I am on my own with a bungalow so i'm not using too much, lord help those with families who are already struggling...It shouldn't be happening in 2022 in the UK, there will be civil unrest come winter I believe....Buildings will burn, if only to keep people warm....

Well done and good luck to you! Thats an impressive way to run your affairs. I am currently about £400 in credit on my gas and electrickery, I am seriously thinking of asking for it back before the company goes bust as some of them inevitably will.
A change of topic on 15:55 - Aug 26 with 4449 viewsBigKindo

A change of topic on 15:35 - Aug 26 by MoonyDale

I was put on Octopus by HMG when AVRO went belly up. Octopus are now charging me circa £250/annum for daily standing charges on dual fuel. If this goes up 80% we will be paying £ 450/annum on standing charges which are used for ???????? During this summer period our gas usage is low and the current monthly bill has a standing charge higher that the gas used.
A change of topic on 16:03 - Aug 26 with 4405 viewsBrierls

A change of topic on 15:48 - Aug 26 by 49thseason

Well done and good luck to you! Thats an impressive way to run your affairs. I am currently about £400 in credit on my gas and electrickery, I am seriously thinking of asking for it back before the company goes bust as some of them inevitably will.

Price hike or not, your gas/leccy supply being £400 in credit is August is perfectly normal when paying by DD.

Those who ask for 'credit' back because they're scared of a supplier going bust will be the one's contributing to that eventuality.
A change of topic on 16:05 - Aug 26 with 4389 viewselectricblue

A change of topic on 14:58 - Aug 26 by 49thseason

Our supplier asked for our quarterly electric readings via their app and we are £190 in credit with another monthly amount paid today.
Gas is £250 in credit just checked.
We have hardly used gas since April and the boiler is currenty in summer mode, we do use the gas for hot water due to the condensing boiler for washing up and the shower....
So we save money on that to an extent...

You point about open fires, use them i would not use ours even though it is a simple case of removing the board and the battens.
A bag of coal, logs, kindling, firelighters, newspaper is expensive today the money would be better spent on whatever you use as the main heating source..

Our mobile contracts are due for renewel in september so we will going sim only deals saving about £60/70.
We dont have any tv subscriptions.
Gave up coffee(costa and at home) at the start of the first lock down saving a staggering amount...
Takeaways went same time as the coffee...

We are doing our bit, but the government seem oblivious to whats coming.
Look at France the increase like the uk was 54% last time, the public stumped up 4.5% and the government are substidising the rest can you honestly see the tories doing that!
NO neither can I.
It was only when Labour argued and put a plan forward about a windfall tax and do t forget Sunak said a firm NO until the benchers got on to the idea and Sunak acted from party pressure...
This will be downside for Sunak to be party leader and Truss will get in but come the next GE in 18months on and i reckon that the tories will not be in power.....
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 16:32]

A change of topic on 16:13 - Aug 26 with 4360 viewsJames1980

So we scrimp and save to pay these extortionate energy bills. So what happens to companies that provide these little luxuries? What happens to the staff behind the bar at the pub that closes because they have to shut up shop. The travel agent that has to get rid of staff because less people are booking a holiday. What about the folk who service the coffee machines that are in independent coffee shops that close down, because people aren't going there for their flat white and croissant. The dramatic drop in disposable income is going to be catastrophic for the economy.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

A change of topic on 16:17 - Aug 26 with 4337 views49thseason

A change of topic on 15:55 - Aug 26 by BigKindo

I was put on Octopus by HMG when AVRO went belly up. Octopus are now charging me circa £250/annum for daily standing charges on dual fuel. If this goes up 80% we will be paying £ 450/annum on standing charges which are used for ???????? During this summer period our gas usage is low and the current monthly bill has a standing charge higher that the gas used.

Thats a great point, I dont see why we should pay people to maintain the pipes and wires that allow them to supply their products to us. The government could scrap all standing charges tomorrow it they wanted to. And it would be a significant amount saved by everyone. I guess the fear is that the supply companies will go bust maybe the other option is to force the producers to pay the standing charges. They could scrap the telly tax whilst they are at it.
At some point we are going to have to make choices about the size and cost of government and the numbers of people who use the services it provides and the numbers employed in that supply of services. It is rumoured that RMBC has £30m in " reserves" thats money from our council taxes which have gone up by the maximum of 4.9% for the last 2 years. A conspiracy theorist might conclude we are being deliberately impoverished.
A change of topic on 16:19 - Aug 26 with 4330 views442Dale

A change of topic on 16:13 - Aug 26 by James1980

So we scrimp and save to pay these extortionate energy bills. So what happens to companies that provide these little luxuries? What happens to the staff behind the bar at the pub that closes because they have to shut up shop. The travel agent that has to get rid of staff because less people are booking a holiday. What about the folk who service the coffee machines that are in independent coffee shops that close down, because people aren't going there for their flat white and croissant. The dramatic drop in disposable income is going to be catastrophic for the economy.

That’s the next issue down the road. When you think back to Covid and the support offered to get through that to ensure businesses didn’t go bust and workers kept their jobs, it’s got to be a consideration on how/if this can be achieved again in a situation which could have similar far reaching impacts, possibly greater.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

A change of topic on 16:27 - Aug 26 with 4302 viewsBigKindo

A change of topic on 16:05 - Aug 26 by electricblue

Our supplier asked for our quarterly electric readings via their app and we are £190 in credit with another monthly amount paid today.
Gas is £250 in credit just checked.
We have hardly used gas since April and the boiler is currenty in summer mode, we do use the gas for hot water due to the condensing boiler for washing up and the shower....
So we save money on that to an extent...

You point about open fires, use them i would not use ours even though it is a simple case of removing the board and the battens.
A bag of coal, logs, kindling, firelighters, newspaper is expensive today the money would be better spent on whatever you use as the main heating source..

Our mobile contracts are due for renewel in september so we will going sim only deals saving about £60/70.
We dont have any tv subscriptions.
Gave up coffee(costa and at home) at the start of the first lock down saving a staggering amount...
Takeaways went same time as the coffee...

We are doing our bit, but the government seem oblivious to whats coming.
Look at France the increase like the uk was 54% last time, the public stumped up 4.5% and the government are substidising the rest can you honestly see the tories doing that!
NO neither can I.
It was only when Labour argued and put a plan forward about a windfall tax and do t forget Sunak said a firm NO until the benchers got on to the idea and Sunak acted from party pressure...
This will be downside for Sunak to be party leader and Truss will get in but come the next GE in 18months on and i reckon that the tories will not be in power.....
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 16:32]

Re the French situation. EON, yes the same one that operates here, I believe have 14 nuclear power stations in France. They are a major if not the major supplier of electricity in France. Their trading situation is extremely worrying and the French Government's decision to effectively freeze prices has made a very difficult trading situation worse. It has been rumoured in the last few weeks that they will have to go into insolvency and the only way out is for the French Government to nationalise the company.
A change of topic on 17:22 - Aug 26 with 4182 viewsMoonyDale

It's even worse than that james, there is no energy cap for businesses and some companies have raised prices 50 fold to certain outlets...One cafe owner on a radio phone in was shutting down because of such a massive increase in his costs...Nothing to do with lack of custom, just his running costs were too high..He called the company and was told hard luck....

A change of topic on 17:34 - Aug 26 with 4162 viewsMoonyDale

A change of topic on 15:55 - Aug 26 by BigKindo

Biggest rip off ever, I still get charged gas standing charge even though my supply has been turned off at said meter...These charges should be stopped or vastly reduced immediately...Maybe they will look into this as an option because as yourself my gas bill is zero and the standing charge is the only payment I make to Octopus for a service I don't get...Only this morning I have had to cancel pre orders for three items I would other wise have bought with some of my disposable income...The worrying thing is what happens when we come to the end of cutting baack on non essentials and we have to start prioritising the things we really shouldn't be doing without...Scary times..

A change of topic on 18:40 - Aug 26 with 4102 views49thseason

Yes it is James, I think this might be the Mother of all recessions. Our green and pleasant land is about to be stipped to the bone by a scientific theory that isn't worth the paper its been written on... Net Zero, the brain child of Al Gore who has become a Billionaire selling " carbon credits" that he invented as the solution to a problem that does not exist. He even invented the problem with his " inconvenient truth " film which was seized on by lefties the world over to reduce the Western World's manufacturing base to ashes. The lefties were supported monetarily by Russia and China as hundreds of groups and 1000s of people including politicians, scientists and universities were payed to promolgate the "climate change" agenda.
Our Government has been in thrall of this nonsense for at least 2 decades denying planning permission for onshore fracking and drilling, refusing new licences offshore and taxing production at a scandalous level.
Energy underpins everything, making it unaffordable will ruin the country faster than a war.. exactly what our enemies want. The Russians are now in tight collaboration with the Chinese, the globe is tilting Eastwards and the West is spiraling downwards thanks to a ridiculous theory and those we trusted who have betrayed us. Trump warned the Germans not to depend on Russian gas and they laughed at him, in the immortal words of Bob Monkhouse, "they're not laughing now".
A change of topic on 18:49 - Aug 26 with 4073 viewsZac_B

All great points, James. I work for a bank and our plans for the coming months/years is supporting the people who will suffer from the domino effect this will have.
A change of topic on 19:33 - Aug 26 with 3994 viewsToffeemanc

A change of topic on 16:27 - Aug 26 by BigKindo

Re the French situation. EON, yes the same one that operates here, I believe have 14 nuclear power stations in France. They are a major if not the major supplier of electricity in France. Their trading situation is extremely worrying and the French Government's decision to effectively freeze prices has made a very difficult trading situation worse. It has been rumoured in the last few weeks that they will have to go into insolvency and the only way out is for the French Government to nationalise the company.

Long term the government freezing the price cap before todays rise prices is what should have happened in the UK already. If that led to these energy companies going into insolvency and then being forcibly renationalised then that’s great as it is the only realistic answer to the ongoing issue for consumers.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 19:37]

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

A change of topic on 19:34 - Aug 26 with 3991 viewselectricblue

A change of topic on 16:17 - Aug 26 by 49thseason

Thats a great point, I dont see why we should pay people to maintain the pipes and wires that allow them to supply their products to us. The government could scrap all standing charges tomorrow it they wanted to. And it would be a significant amount saved by everyone. I guess the fear is that the supply companies will go bust maybe the other option is to force the producers to pay the standing charges. They could scrap the telly tax whilst they are at it.
At some point we are going to have to make choices about the size and cost of government and the numbers of people who use the services it provides and the numbers employed in that supply of services. It is rumoured that RMBC has £30m in " reserves" thats money from our council taxes which have gone up by the maximum of 4.9% for the last 2 years. A conspiracy theorist might conclude we are being deliberately impoverished.

As a consumer we should not be paying VAT on energy and water utilities as it is not a luxury item also we should not be paying green levis, standing charges etc all.
The green levis, standing charges should paid through the profits of these companies..

Take the water companies one southern water companies are losing millions of litres per day through leaks how can the consumer be expected to pay for that service its immoral..

A change of topic on 19:38 - Aug 26 with 3979 viewselectricblue

A change of topic on 17:22 - Aug 26 by MoonyDale

It's even worse than that james, there is no energy cap for businesses and some companies have raised prices 50 fold to certain outlets...One cafe owner on a radio phone in was shutting down because of such a massive increase in his costs...Nothing to do with lack of custom, just his running costs were too high..He called the company and was told hard luck....

Add to that the coffee bean shortage worldwide of 20%.
The arabica bean is in decline to the climate changing.....

So folks expect your morning costa or starbucks to rapidly sky rocket soon.

A change of topic on 19:41 - Aug 26 with 3969 viewsnordenblue

A change of topic on 16:17 - Aug 26 by 49thseason

It doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to work that out, we are getting absolutely robbed blind while we all cough up whatever extortionate figure they pluck out the air next time too.

There appears to be a certain testing of the waters in recent years with how compliant we all are while they bend us all over continuously forever more, as soon as my kids are out of school I'll be heading for the exit door,make as much money as I possibly can now and cheerio we go.
A change of topic on 19:48 - Aug 26 with 3950 viewsA_Newby

A change of topic on 16:27 - Aug 26 by BigKindo

The situation in France and Germany is no better than here as reported in Le Monde and Die Welt.

Across the EU the wholesale price of electricity has gone from around 85 euros per megawatt a year ago, to 850 euros and 1000 euros per megawatt in Germany and France respectively today.

It is expected to go to 1600 euros per megawatt by December and wholesale electricity is currently being purchased in advance by electricity suppliers at this price.

EDF is the main French electricity company, the French government own 85% of the shares.

EDF have 56 aging nuclear power plants in France, of these only 24 are currently operating. The remainder have corrosion problems that will cost a fortune to repair or replace and France have been trying for a long time to access EU "green" energy funding to pay for this. France is at a “historic low level” of electricity generation.

Macron capped the price increase of electricity supplied to domestic consumers by EDF to 4%, he expected this to be a short-term measure as he thought the war in Ukraine would be over in 6 months and for the gas supply from Russia to return to normal. He is now struggling to find a way to fund this as it will need to come from general taxation.

In addition, EDF are currently suing the French government over the price cap for an initial £8.4 billion but expect this figure to rise significantly.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2022 19:52]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024