Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
January Transfer Window 14:10 - Dec 28 with 61254 viewsHullDale

Gillingham have started their business early...

January Transfer Window on 15:24 - Dec 28 with 16334 views100notout

Haven't the Gills just got new owners? Looks like they'll be splashing the cash to move up the table - makes it even more difficult to stay up

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

January Transfer Window on 15:34 - Dec 28 with 16330 viewsDaleFan7

They've scored 6 goals in 21 games and are still only a point behind us. Quite remarkable really.
January Transfer Window on 16:48 - Dec 28 with 16155 viewsEllDale

January Transfer Window on 15:24 - Dec 28 by 100notout

Haven't the Gills just got new owners? Looks like they'll be splashing the cash to move up the table - makes it even more difficult to stay up

Yes, a big American investor apparently.
Doesn't show much ambition from Crawley after their own heralded takeover last summer though.
January Transfer Window on 17:31 - Dec 28 with 16075 viewsClitheroeDale

Just hope we get some early deals done rather than waiting till the end of Jan.
January Transfer Window on 17:40 - Dec 28 with 16034 viewsD_Alien

January Transfer Window on 17:31 - Dec 28 by ClitheroeDale

Just hope we get some early deals done rather than waiting till the end of Jan.

Like Danny Lloyd, that erstwhile non-league journeyman?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

January Transfer Window on 18:09 - Dec 28 with 15969 viewsHullDale

It looks like Gillingham will have substantial funds available to buy themselves out of trouble over the next few weeks.

That means it'll likely be two from Newport, Harrogate, Crawley, Hartlepool, Colchester & Dale that go down. Of those, all but Harrogate have changed managers this season already, so its likely to be business done in Jan, rather than changing management, that will decide who goes down.

I'm hoping today is the start of Crawley being the basket case people feared when WAGMI took over, which would whittle it down to one of five for the second relegation place.

Hoping that the chairman's update, & EBJ's pre-match interview today, are a bit more rhetoric and 'worst case scenario' than actual fact - if it is a case of one or two in IF we can get one or two out, then it might be time to start getting the map out.
January Transfer Window on 18:35 - Dec 28 with 15883 viewsfourfourtwo

January Transfer Window on 18:09 - Dec 28 by HullDale

It looks like Gillingham will have substantial funds available to buy themselves out of trouble over the next few weeks.

That means it'll likely be two from Newport, Harrogate, Crawley, Hartlepool, Colchester & Dale that go down. Of those, all but Harrogate have changed managers this season already, so its likely to be business done in Jan, rather than changing management, that will decide who goes down.

I'm hoping today is the start of Crawley being the basket case people feared when WAGMI took over, which would whittle it down to one of five for the second relegation place.

Hoping that the chairman's update, & EBJ's pre-match interview today, are a bit more rhetoric and 'worst case scenario' than actual fact - if it is a case of one or two in IF we can get one or two out, then it might be time to start getting the map out.

How does that work with FFP or whatever it’s called now?

Aren’t you only allowed to spend X amount on player wages of a % of turnover or has that changed now?
January Transfer Window on 18:42 - Dec 28 with 15862 viewsHullDale

January Transfer Window on 18:35 - Dec 28 by fourfourtwo

How does that work with FFP or whatever it’s called now?

Aren’t you only allowed to spend X amount on player wages of a % of turnover or has that changed now?

'Turnover definition

Under the SCMP rules, the definition of 'Turnover' is particularly important as Turnover is used to determine the maximum wage-spend. Within a traditional accounting perspective, there are usually only three elements of turnover:

Match-day Income
Commercial Income (such as sponsorship)
TV revenue (and any 'merit payments' based on league position)
However the Football League use a is broader definition of Turnover. Crucially, the FL Turnover figure includes donations from the owners to the club and injections of equity. Loans from club owners are understandably not included in the Turnover figure as these would result in growing club debts. up club debts. In League 1 and League 2, a wealthy owner can therefore fund the club spending in a way that is not permitted in other divisions. Manchester City and Leicester for example seem set for punishment for their excessive losses (from UEFA and the Championship respectively) despite the fact that the owners have injected hard cash into the club to finance the spending.'

https://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php#:~:text=SCMP%20limits%20spending%20

Essentially if the new owners put in donations worth, say, Β£1,000,000, that million quid is considered as part of turnover and can be used to fund transfer fees and wages. I'd imagine that is how Salford / Stockport / Wrexham etc can spend so much.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2022 18:42]
Login to get fewer ads

January Transfer Window on 18:48 - Dec 28 with 15812 viewsD_Alien

January Transfer Window on 18:42 - Dec 28 by HullDale

'Turnover definition

Under the SCMP rules, the definition of 'Turnover' is particularly important as Turnover is used to determine the maximum wage-spend. Within a traditional accounting perspective, there are usually only three elements of turnover:

Match-day Income
Commercial Income (such as sponsorship)
TV revenue (and any 'merit payments' based on league position)
However the Football League use a is broader definition of Turnover. Crucially, the FL Turnover figure includes donations from the owners to the club and injections of equity. Loans from club owners are understandably not included in the Turnover figure as these would result in growing club debts. up club debts. In League 1 and League 2, a wealthy owner can therefore fund the club spending in a way that is not permitted in other divisions. Manchester City and Leicester for example seem set for punishment for their excessive losses (from UEFA and the Championship respectively) despite the fact that the owners have injected hard cash into the club to finance the spending.'

https://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php#:~:text=SCMP%20limits%20spending%20

Essentially if the new owners put in donations worth, say, Β£1,000,000, that million quid is considered as part of turnover and can be used to fund transfer fees and wages. I'd imagine that is how Salford / Stockport / Wrexham etc can spend so much.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2022 18:42]

'Tis the season of goodwill... so let's wish Gillingham the same outcome as Bury when they spent silly money on players - relegation

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

January Transfer Window on 20:12 - Dec 28 with 15621 viewsEllDale

I don’t think any of the struggling teams need to spend silly money to stay up with the standard of football we’re talking about.
Around three competent signings would probably be sufficient.
Can’t see the likes of Hartlepool or Colchester splashing the cash though.
January Transfer Window on 10:44 - Dec 29 with 15097 viewsHullDale

January Transfer Window on 18:09 - Dec 28 by HullDale

Crawley have proved me wrong right away about changing managers... he signed an 18 month contract 5 weeks ago.

Maybe some sort of falling out over the transfer news yesterday.
January Transfer Window on 14:55 - Dec 29 with 14748 views49thseason

If we can get a couple of players in, what positions should they be playing in?
For me , one attacking midfielder and another forward, maybe wide right. Bentley seemed happy with Seriki on Saturday, and I think we have enough at left back with John (who Doncaster fans still seem to rate)and White. We need to score more goals. A lot more goals.
January Transfer Window on 15:48 - Dec 29 with 14631 viewsAtThePeake

January Transfer Window on 14:55 - Dec 29 by 49thseason

For me , one attacking midfielder and another forward, maybe wide right. Bentley seemed happy with Seriki on Saturday, and I think we have enough at left back with John (who Doncaster fans still seem to rate)and White. We need to score more goals. A lot more goals.

We are absolutely desperate for a box-to-box midfielder for me. Kelly has his fans, but he's not the kind of player you want in the battle we find ourselves in. Diagouraga has the turning circle of a JCB and frankly I have no words for James Ball. Brierley is so talented, but again, I fear it's a case of the right player for the wrong time with him. I'd actually take two CMs if possible.

With Campbell on his way back I'm not sure how many opportunities a new forward would have - it's widely accepted that Rodney is far more effective through the middle but we're struggling to get him opportunities as a central striker at the minute, so another striker would be a waste, but another wide option would be ideal so we can leave Odoh out. 60-odd games as a winger without an assist is absolutely embarrassing.

Tangled up in blue.

January Transfer Window on 14:47 - Dec 30 with 14032 viewsBrierls

January Transfer Window on 14:55 - Dec 29 by 49thseason

Midfield and wide players.

Our collective midfield is absolute dogshit. They are not willing or able to play a forward pass, and they’re not able to break up play because they’re too slow. Tempo in midfield sets the tempo for the game, we are pedestrian. Take a touch, pass to a centre half, repeat. Brierley (injured/sold?) and Kelly (just back from injury) have quality on the ball but they’re none existent off it.

We are desperate for a mobile midfielder able to get near an opposition player to break up play.

We are desperate for a mobile midfielder who can either carry or pass the ball forwards to break lines.

We are desperate for a wide player with an end product. He doesn’t have to be quick, just have an end product. Odoh gets so much of our possession and provides the sum total of fcuk all. He’s a waste of space.
January Transfer Window on 15:40 - Dec 30 with 13943 viewsHullDale

January Transfer Window on 16:10 - Dec 30 with 13839 viewsHullDale

January Transfer Window on 16:45 - Dec 30 with 13747 viewsHullDale

An interesting thread has appeared on Crawley's official twitter page.

January Transfer Window on 17:12 - Dec 30 with 13604 viewsThacks_Rabbits

What are Kevin Ellison and Peter Clarke doing these days…….

Will get my coat!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

January Transfer Window on 17:27 - Dec 30 with 13512 viewsBrierls

January Transfer Window on 17:12 - Dec 30 by Thacks_Rabbits

What are Kevin Ellison and Peter Clarke doing these days…….

Will get my coat!

Don’t worry, you’ve not suggested sending Quigley back and playing Max Taylor up front yet.

This squad needs character and fight. You jest but it’s nowhere near as ridiculous as the above.
January Transfer Window on 18:50 - Jan 1 with 12920 viewsNewbury_Dale

Neill Byrne has apparently been made available at Tranmere. A decent defender who would improve us. Not in their squad today.

Ryan Colclough has requested a move at Alty. Oldham apparently interested. A skillful wide player who is back on the right track after some behavioural issues a while back. I've seen him live a few times and he's a mile better than Odoh in terms of an end product. Too good for Oldham. Out of contract in the summer.

I watch Maidenhead when I cannot get upto Rochdale and they've got a target man who is improving at a rate of knots, Emile Acquah. I think he could improve still further with full time training. A big lad who is mobile too. Still a bit raw but better than the version of Scott Quigley that we've seen lately. Out of contract this summer.

All potentially available and not completely unrealistic from a financial point of view.
January Transfer Window on 18:54 - Jan 1 with 12905 viewsfinberty

Andy Lonergan not catching the First Team at Everton.

The only goalkeeper seen getting a tune out of EEL by being in his ear for 90 minutes, and kept goal like it mattered too. Just a thought.
January Transfer Window on 19:37 - Jan 1 with 12714 viewsNorthernDale

I would have both Byrne and Colclough on loan to the summer and I would offer Odoh in exchange for Colclough, although I would doubt that they want him.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2023 19:40]
January Transfer Window on 15:31 - Jan 4 with 11772 viewsHullDale

January Transfer Window on 17:33 - Jan 4 with 11227 viewsHullDale

January Transfer Window on 15:31 - Jan 4 by HullDale

Colchester strengthening early!

January Transfer Window on 17:58 - Jan 4 with 11083 viewsNorthernDale

Am I right to be worried that we have only announced one player released, I accept that with loan players, the parent needs to agree to the loans being cancelled and what is more worrying, I was hoping for at least one player in by now.

We have two crucial home games against Newport and Colchester, but we all know the present team is not good enough, so we one or two people in by Saturday.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024