Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NL Should End Southend Debacle 19:11 - Jul 13 with 7986 viewsjonahwhereru

So the latest in a long line of winding up orders against Southend has been deferred until the 24/8, in the hope the Chairman will get a take over sorted. So the club have been in an almost permanent embargo for 18 months now. The players had not been paid for June, so refused to turn up for training last week. The club paid them but not the back room staff, so Kevin Maher and co are now staying away.
There is no one with medical experience turning up so the players still can’t train. As a result the first friendly again Canvey was cancelled.
The chairman is playing a massive brinkmanship game with potential buyers, as the waters are muddied by the the large property deal the new ground is part of. The chairman is a property developer and seems to be far more interested in that deal than the club. He wants to sell the club but not the new ground. The fans are desperate and already have plans we’ll advanced for a Phoenix club.
Surely the NL can’t allow them to continue in this league with so many unresolved issues stacking up. I don’t like to say it because I have been on the terraces at Roots Hall plenty of times but the NL need to lance the boil, now.
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 19:43 - Jul 13 with 6494 views442Dale

Where’s Stan Collymore in all this? Did he not return in some capacity at one stage?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 21:06 - Jul 13 with 6372 viewsjonahwhereru

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 19:43 - Jul 13 by 442Dale

Where’s Stan Collymore in all this? Did he not return in some capacity at one stage?

Big Stan had a short lived advisory capacity at one stage. Last season he and a consortium Tried to buy the club, but the shovel hadn’t even hit the ground on the housing development and the stadium so that was never going to fly.
How’s ya luck. The previous owner had been very unwell and wanted a quick and easy sale, so sold it to his next door neighbour. He should of asked the neighbour on the other side!
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 07:54 - Jul 14 with 6122 viewsDalenet

Not looking good for them. The National League are meeting with the club to determine whether they can start the season. Probably not. Thats one less game for us all and a shambles for governance once again.

Have just watched an article on TV this morning about Rugby League. Clubs are on the verge of going under. Whitehaven haven't paid their players, have no physio and have no money to keep the ground open. Their break even point is 1200 paying fans. All very sad.
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 08:25 - Jul 14 with 6090 viewspioneer

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 07:54 - Jul 14 by Dalenet

Not looking good for them. The National League are meeting with the club to determine whether they can start the season. Probably not. Thats one less game for us all and a shambles for governance once again.

Have just watched an article on TV this morning about Rugby League. Clubs are on the verge of going under. Whitehaven haven't paid their players, have no physio and have no money to keep the ground open. Their break even point is 1200 paying fans. All very sad.

The rugby league changed the distribution of central funds (essentially TV money) so it almost all goes to Super League teams now. The change was introduced late in the day so some clubs put together playing staffs on assumption previous formula would continue.
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 15:23 - Jul 14 with 5746 viewsShun

Tomorrow's friendly cancelled too now.
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 14:48 - Jul 15 with 5413 viewsShun

I saw a picture of their ground yesterday. It genuinely looks like those pictures you see of grounds that have been abandoned for years. It’s not looking good.

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 10:43 - Jul 16 with 5077 viewsEllDale

All completely hypothetical I know but I hope that the NL have contingency plans in place just in case Southend don’t start the season.
For example, in a 23 team division, are only three going to be relegated?
I know that that issue shouldn’t affect Dale.
Unless you listen to some of the dismal people on Twitter!
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 11:06 - Jul 16 with 5038 viewsSuddenLad

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 10:43 - Jul 16 by EllDale

All completely hypothetical I know but I hope that the NL have contingency plans in place just in case Southend don’t start the season.

Could it mean a late reprieve for one of the teams relegated last season, who would just take over their fixtures?

I can't see any way that Southend will start the season and it seems inevitable now that they will fold. The sooner the decision is made, the better for everyone.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 12:26 - Jul 16 with 4956 viewsSandyman

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23658129.think-end-lifelong-southend-united-fa
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 12:41 - Jul 16 with 4945 viewsD_Alien

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 12:26 - Jul 16 by Sandyman

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23658129.think-end-lifelong-southend-united-fa

But for the Fan's Fightback, that could've been us

Southend was always a prominent fixture for Dale; from the promotion game in 1969, to what was i think our longest away fixture without a win (TVOS may confirm) right through to the Hendo goal which gave fans (and not just at Dale) a misleading impression of our footballing prowess under BBM

How the NL deal with this will give us an indication of whether they're any different to the EFL in terms of administrative competence
[Post edited 16 Jul 2023 12:45]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 14:02 - Jul 16 with 4845 viewsNorthernDale

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 10:43 - Jul 16 by EllDale

Did they not operate a 23 team league a couple of seasons ago, when Dover refused to play due to the cost due to Covid.

I feel sorry for the Southend fans, because like us and every other fan base, they are passionate about their team.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2023 14:03]
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 20:49 - Jul 16 with 4604 viewsTVOS1907

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 11:06 - Jul 16 by SuddenLad

Could it mean a late reprieve for one of the teams relegated last season, who would just take over their fixtures?

I can't see any way that Southend will start the season and it seems inevitable now that they will fold. The sooner the decision is made, the better for everyone.

I wouldn't have thought so, since it would have a knock-on effect on each league below and clubs will have already starting making plans for all their scheduled opponents.

If the worst comes to the worst for Southend, they would surely just reduce the NL to 23 teams, as happened with bury in League One, and their opponents will have two blank fixture dates.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 21:42 - Jul 16 with 4539 viewschuckleberry

If that’s the case, our season will finish on the 13th April.
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 21:59 - Jul 16 with 4525 viewsEllDale

I’d like to think that there would be a playoff game.
The Premier League and EFL seasons are finishing sooner than usual as well as Wembley is hosting the 2024 Champions League final at the end of May.
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 22:00 - Jul 16 with 4524 viewsD_Alien

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 21:42 - Jul 16 by chuckleberry

If that’s the case, our season will finish on the 13th April.

Unless we make the playoffs... in which case we'd get an extra week's rest

(Might as well try to sound optimistic, even though i'm not)

Edit: we'd also have to finish at least 3pts clear of the pack, or we could spend that last weekend watching teams leapfrog us
[Post edited 16 Jul 2023 22:04]

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 09:41 - Jul 26 with 3918 viewsjonahwhereru

So Southend have agreed a plan to repay the 300k football related creditor debts, that is sufficient for the NL to agree they can start the season.
They still have 250k to find for the HMRC by the 25/8 to avoid being wound up. Meanwhile my nephew who assists with match day catering is still owed £80 from last season.
Mixed reaction to this locally, some are just relieved, and others were happy to take some collateral damage if it meant they were able to cut of the head of the viper that is Ron Martin.
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 17:02 - Jul 26 with 3608 views442Dale

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2023/july/national-league-statement/

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 17:12 - Jul 26 with 3590 viewsSuddenLad

Well, that will be a tough ask for Southend, but it's right that the NL make it clear that they are being scrutinised very closely. They will do well to move forward and complete the season without incurring any punishment.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 17:20 - Jul 26 with 3569 viewsD_Alien

I commented earlier in the thread about how the NL dealt with this might give us an indication of its administrative competence (compared to the EFL)

If these requirements & potential penalties are adhered to, that'll do

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 17:30 - Jul 26 with 3520 viewsNorthernDale

They don't sit on the fence, the punishment that could be implemented is severe and it could be ten points, plus additional points in the future.
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 17:37 - Jul 26 with 3501 viewsjonahwhereru

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 17:20 - Jul 26 by D_Alien

I commented earlier in the thread about how the NL dealt with this might give us an indication of its administrative competence (compared to the EFL)

If these requirements & potential penalties are adhered to, that'll do

True. I also sense the league are making it crystal clear to Southend that they will note tolerate the perpetual cycle of winding up orders made by HMRC. They must have a member of staff dedicated solely with the tax collection from the club.
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 17:42 - Jul 26 with 3479 viewsD_Alien

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 17:37 - Jul 26 by jonahwhereru

True. I also sense the league are making it crystal clear to Southend that they will note tolerate the perpetual cycle of winding up orders made by HMRC. They must have a member of staff dedicated solely with the tax collection from the club.

Re: the statement about "all creditors being paid" - has your nephew been paid the £80 owed?

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 19:53 - Jul 26 with 3384 viewsjonahwhereru

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 17:42 - Jul 26 by D_Alien

Re: the statement about "all creditors being paid" - has your nephew been paid the £80 owed?

No chance!
NL Should End Southend Debacle on 19:57 - Jul 26 with 3380 viewsD_Alien

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 19:53 - Jul 26 by jonahwhereru

No chance!

In that case, all creditors have not been paid

This needs to be brought to the attention of the NL

NL Should End Southend Debacle on 15:17 - Aug 23 with 2894 viewsjonahwhereru

So Southend get another 42 days to prevent being wound up, with the judge saying it was only fans attachment to the club (fair enough) that swayed him from agreeing the petition today. However I think the NL said if it wasn’t resolved by today Southend were out of the league. Simply can’t see that happening as there is no other league the club can get into this season. The club would effectively be finished.
So surely now a deduction of more than ten points is the only option the NL have. Personally I think 15 points deduction and the embargo remaining until at least the 4th Oct would be the equivalent of a relegation in any case.
Meanwhile the manager vented his spleen at the owner after Saturday’s defeat, saying how draining it is operating under the constraints. E.g. irregular wages, no running water at the training ground.
Just can’t imagine what it must be like for the supporters. They haven’t signed a player for a year now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024