Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread 19:18 - Sep 8 with 33386 viewsToast_R

Been looking forward to this and I think this year will be a cracker. Ireland, France, Bokke and All Black stand out favourites, I've a suspicion Scotland may throw it open on that side of the draw by getting something out of Ireland or RSA.

Tonight though, what a cracker open with; Hosts France take on The All Blacks. I'm going for the All Blacks to silence the Parisienne crowd. Or they could get pumped. 🤔
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:04 - Oct 15 with 2340 viewsHayesender

That was a cracking game. England's only chance next week will be to drag the saffers down to our level. Oh and a lot of praying

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:09 - Oct 15 with 2315 viewsLimehouseR

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:08 - Oct 15 by terryb

I don't understand the laws/rules of the game & what constitutes a penalty. However, I can't understand how Curry wasn't invited to spend time in the sin bin, if only for repeated infringments. I've no idea what he did wrong, but it was a constant "penalty against Curry"!

I also thought they were two very bad penalty misses from Farrell, but Figi's kicks were just as bad!

I must say I find some games entertaining but I also don't understand the penalty/discipline system. For example towards the end of the game at a scrum the England player feeding the ball quite clearly had his foot deliberately stamped on by a Fiji player which could have f'ed up the whole process yet it was barely mentioned and not looked at by the officials. I guess that's fine to do then?

I get it's a much more robust game than football and makes football players look like absolute clowns feigning injury etc. but I just don't get some of the obvious assaults etc that just seem part of the game of rugby!
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:48 - Oct 15 with 2250 viewsOldPedro

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:52 - Oct 15 by denhamhoop2

So whats Irelands Scotlands and Wales excuse when in comparison to New Zealand it is the National Game in Wales and Ireland yet a country where Football is king(Argentina) are in their 3rd semi final which matches the 3 Celtic nations record combined. Think it is a mentality thing with Ireland very much like England in Football okay when playing the poorer teams but struggle against the better teams

Your initial comparison was between England and the other home nations. Also, the celtic nations have 3 semi-finals between them - another way of saying that is Wales have reached 3 semi-finals.

Ireland were the number 1 ranked team going into RWC - they won a test series in New Zealand last year and beat South Africa last month, so your point about struggling against the better teams isn't valid.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 00:00 - Oct 16 with 2168 viewsSydneyRs

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:52 - Oct 15 by denhamhoop2

So whats Irelands Scotlands and Wales excuse when in comparison to New Zealand it is the National Game in Wales and Ireland yet a country where Football is king(Argentina) are in their 3rd semi final which matches the 3 Celtic nations record combined. Think it is a mentality thing with Ireland very much like England in Football okay when playing the poorer teams but struggle against the better teams

National game in Ireland? Not sure about that. The gaelic sports are big there plus football.

Argentina may be in a semi final but they are not a better team than Ireland right now. Neither are England who are also in a semi final.

England are perhaps the biggest underachievers of all. They have everything in terms of talent and resources but are nowhere near the level at he moment. I suspect the semi may be a bit embarrassing but hopefully not!
[Post edited 16 Oct 2023 0:02]
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 01:14 - Oct 16 with 2122 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:49 - Oct 14 by thame_hoops

The referee did everything he could to help Ireland win… oh dear 🙂

Ironically the Irish coach said the opposite and said the ref actually made some critical call against them thame_hoops and right now the French captain Dupont questioned the standard of refereeing at the WC.
I do not know enough about rugby to know the difference but having a ref decide a game at this stage would be criminal .
England are the last ones standing from the NH so good luck to them .
Somebody was critical of Farrell earlier in this thread but that man a big heart and nerves of steel
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:06 - Oct 16 with 2000 viewsBlackCrowe

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 01:14 - Oct 16 by CLAREMAN1995

Ironically the Irish coach said the opposite and said the ref actually made some critical call against them thame_hoops and right now the French captain Dupont questioned the standard of refereeing at the WC.
I do not know enough about rugby to know the difference but having a ref decide a game at this stage would be criminal .
England are the last ones standing from the NH so good luck to them .
Somebody was critical of Farrell earlier in this thread but that man a big heart and nerves of steel

Blimey...it's all upside down...what odds would you have got on England being the only N Hemisphere team in the SFs...and without being very good.

We haven't got much chance but a little bit more against SA than we would've done against France i reckon.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:15 - Oct 16 with 1971 viewsToast_R

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:06 - Oct 16 by BlackCrowe

Blimey...it's all upside down...what odds would you have got on England being the only N Hemisphere team in the SFs...and without being very good.

We haven't got much chance but a little bit more against SA than we would've done against France i reckon.

Well, when you look at the draw, England should have made the Semi finals no question. It was always going to be a heavyweight in the semi finals and the Springbok's probably the best in the world right now with perfect mix of the biggest barstewards, coupled with some of the fastest runners. France started like a train last night but two quick counters by the Boks and they were behind and left scratching their heads somewhat.

Just hope England can keep the scoreline respectable on Saturday. Overall its a shame that after all the promise of another NH team winning the Cup, its the same old suspects who'll end up in the final yet again.

The draw three years ago seems ridiculous in hindsight with how the heavyweight match ups ended up meeting in the QF's. The Semi finals now look like a given which just seems to under value the tournament.
There needs to be a huge re-form in World Rugby, getting the smaller nations more game time with the big boys every year. 6 Nations and Quad Nations needs to somewhow widen its competition. Georgia and Portugal not far away but just need that opportunity, same.witrh the Pacific Islanders. Money talks of course so unlikely to change.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2023 9:28]
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:46 - Oct 16 with 1920 viewsE17hoop

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:15 - Oct 16 by Toast_R

Well, when you look at the draw, England should have made the Semi finals no question. It was always going to be a heavyweight in the semi finals and the Springbok's probably the best in the world right now with perfect mix of the biggest barstewards, coupled with some of the fastest runners. France started like a train last night but two quick counters by the Boks and they were behind and left scratching their heads somewhat.

Just hope England can keep the scoreline respectable on Saturday. Overall its a shame that after all the promise of another NH team winning the Cup, its the same old suspects who'll end up in the final yet again.

The draw three years ago seems ridiculous in hindsight with how the heavyweight match ups ended up meeting in the QF's. The Semi finals now look like a given which just seems to under value the tournament.
There needs to be a huge re-form in World Rugby, getting the smaller nations more game time with the big boys every year. 6 Nations and Quad Nations needs to somewhow widen its competition. Georgia and Portugal not far away but just need that opportunity, same.witrh the Pacific Islanders. Money talks of course so unlikely to change.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2023 9:28]

5 nations became 6 to avoid a team having a week off. It would be sensible, if they're going to change it, to make it 8 rather than 7 and include Portugal and Georgia. That would, however, mean it'd need to start earlier and finish later.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Login to get fewer ads

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:49 - Oct 16 with 1919 viewsdenhamhoop2

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:48 - Oct 15 by OldPedro

Your initial comparison was between England and the other home nations. Also, the celtic nations have 3 semi-finals between them - another way of saying that is Wales have reached 3 semi-finals.

Ireland were the number 1 ranked team going into RWC - they won a test series in New Zealand last year and beat South Africa last month, so your point about struggling against the better teams isn't valid.

Nope Wales only have 2 Semis 1987 and 2019 Scotland have won Semi Final in 1991 which thanks to Gavin Hastings missing a kick in front of the posts at Murrayfield allowed England to sneak into the Final where they allowed Campese and his mouth to influence their game of sticking up Dean Richards jumper and Rob Andrew kicking it over the bar and tried to run the bloody ball. Never allow a back as captain they really don't understand points over possession every time
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:55 - Oct 16 with 1907 viewsdenhamhoop2

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 22:04 - Oct 15 by Hayesender

That was a cracking game. England's only chance next week will be to drag the saffers down to our level. Oh and a lot of praying

Could also do with a Northern Hemisphere ref might put a bit of a damper on the Boks and their style of play. Cannot see anything other than a All Blacks v Boks Final but who knows Argentina could complete a World Cup double but wouldn't put too much money on it. England have some very good players but playing Smith at Full Back is going to cost them sooner or later
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:11 - Oct 16 with 1880 viewsTheChef

What a weekend of rugby, did not disappoint!

As I've got older I've learnt to have a much better appreciation of the finer points of the game - it's not just a bunch of fat blokes rolling around in the mud

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:56 - Oct 16 with 1830 viewsrobith

A sensational weekend of rugby. Absolutely devastated as an Ireland fan, I sat in silence for about 20 minutes. My caring wife remarked "I thought you'd be better equipped for defeat supporting QPR".

We left it out there no doubt. Very confused about how our line out, our most dependable attacking weapon for a decade plus suddenly fell apart in this tournament - we won 100% of our throws vs Scotland in the 6 Nations without a hooker ffs. When we got the catch and drive going we had them smoked in the maul. If we'd taken a couple of those earlier ones, and just gotten in front, we'd have done it imo.

Sexton should've been hooked on 65. That shanked pen followed by his terrible chip over the top, then he was barely able to move. Frawley has been excellent when called on . All the subs had a big impact - JOB, Conan and McCarthy all had a big impact.

Cane and Savea had career highlights, carrying their woman beating back row colleague again. Just gutting that at 7/10 we were still a bounce of the ball, and a lad's knee away from the semis.

SA and NZ's game winning penalties should've been the other way round (Whitelock doesn't separate from tackle into jackal, SA jackaler had his hand on the floor so wasn't supporting his own body weight) but on the whole the correct results and the standard of refereeing was decent. Not always a huge Barnes fan because it's just a never ending torrent of his voice, but he's one of the few refs brave enough to give the penalty try and yellow there.

Still the core of this team will still be here in 4 years - Porter is 27, Doris is 25, Keenan is 27, Ringrose 28, both our hookers ar 25 and thanks to the IRFU's 10 year plan we've an absolute conveyor belt of talent coming through. This is the middle of the journey, not the end.

Feels a little like the wind has gone out of the sails of the tournament now, especially with the three teams who actually travelled en masse all out. Hard to believe England actually returned tickets for their quarter and had fans thrown out of fighting amongst themselves - do seek out the video, it is very funny
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:05 - Oct 16 with 1817 viewsrobith

Charging down Ramos' conversion was obviously pre planned (I actually had to explain to the Saffa fans next to me it was in fact legal) but come on, there's no way he was behind the line when he starts moving
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:13 - Oct 16 with 1811 viewsSydneyRs

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:49 - Oct 16 by denhamhoop2

Nope Wales only have 2 Semis 1987 and 2019 Scotland have won Semi Final in 1991 which thanks to Gavin Hastings missing a kick in front of the posts at Murrayfield allowed England to sneak into the Final where they allowed Campese and his mouth to influence their game of sticking up Dean Richards jumper and Rob Andrew kicking it over the bar and tried to run the bloody ball. Never allow a back as captain they really don't understand points over possession every time

Spot on about 91. Ireland should have knocked out Australia too.

I remember being in the pub watching the England v Scotland semi final. Very tight game and when Scotland got that very easy penalty I thought we were in big trouble. Decided that was a good time for a toilet break and could not believe the usually so reliable Hastings had missed such an easy kick when I came out. I just watched it on youtube and reckon I'd kick that myself.

The change of game plan for the final was so dumb. They should have just kept on doing what they had been doing and probably would have won it. Although we did get our own back in 2003, despite the ref doing his best to help Australia win!
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:13 - Oct 16 with 1804 viewsTheChef

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 11:05 - Oct 16 by robith

Charging down Ramos' conversion was obviously pre planned (I actually had to explain to the Saffa fans next to me it was in fact legal) but come on, there's no way he was behind the line when he starts moving

That's what I thought - and I don't recall any replay showing that!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 16:16 - Oct 16 with 1646 viewsRangersw12

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:56 - Oct 16 by robith

A sensational weekend of rugby. Absolutely devastated as an Ireland fan, I sat in silence for about 20 minutes. My caring wife remarked "I thought you'd be better equipped for defeat supporting QPR".

We left it out there no doubt. Very confused about how our line out, our most dependable attacking weapon for a decade plus suddenly fell apart in this tournament - we won 100% of our throws vs Scotland in the 6 Nations without a hooker ffs. When we got the catch and drive going we had them smoked in the maul. If we'd taken a couple of those earlier ones, and just gotten in front, we'd have done it imo.

Sexton should've been hooked on 65. That shanked pen followed by his terrible chip over the top, then he was barely able to move. Frawley has been excellent when called on . All the subs had a big impact - JOB, Conan and McCarthy all had a big impact.

Cane and Savea had career highlights, carrying their woman beating back row colleague again. Just gutting that at 7/10 we were still a bounce of the ball, and a lad's knee away from the semis.

SA and NZ's game winning penalties should've been the other way round (Whitelock doesn't separate from tackle into jackal, SA jackaler had his hand on the floor so wasn't supporting his own body weight) but on the whole the correct results and the standard of refereeing was decent. Not always a huge Barnes fan because it's just a never ending torrent of his voice, but he's one of the few refs brave enough to give the penalty try and yellow there.

Still the core of this team will still be here in 4 years - Porter is 27, Doris is 25, Keenan is 27, Ringrose 28, both our hookers ar 25 and thanks to the IRFU's 10 year plan we've an absolute conveyor belt of talent coming through. This is the middle of the journey, not the end.

Feels a little like the wind has gone out of the sails of the tournament now, especially with the three teams who actually travelled en masse all out. Hard to believe England actually returned tickets for their quarter and had fans thrown out of fighting amongst themselves - do seek out the video, it is very funny

Listening to the accents and looking at what they were wearing it was clearly French v French but hey any excuse to have a pop at the English 🙄

As for the Rugby ,Ireland are never gonna get a better chance to do something in a WC as I doubt NZ , Australia and England will be as poor again

[Post edited 16 Oct 2023 16:21]
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 16:25 - Oct 16 with 1633 viewsOldPedro

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 09:49 - Oct 16 by denhamhoop2

I forgot about Scotland in 91, but Wales have 3 semi-final appearances, 1987, 2011 and 2019

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 17:30 - Oct 16 with 1539 viewsstowmarketrange

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 10:56 - Oct 16 by robith

It’s their own fault for insulting Josephine.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 18:43 - Oct 16 with 1443 viewsPaddyhoops

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 17:30 - Oct 16 by stowmarketrange

It’s their own fault for insulting Josephine.

Watched the France , South Africa game in Barcalona last night .
Superb game. Lots of French fans in and lots of England fans cheering the South Africans .
You don’t like the French much was what I gathered from
Last night.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:03 - Oct 16 with 1358 viewsderbyhoop

A great weekend of Rugby. Because all 4 games were competitive. All 4 could have gone the other way.
Watched England vs Fiji on a cross channel ferry. Plenty of people watching who, probably, had rarely watched the game before. Only managed to watch 1st 20 minutes of France vs SA. Possibly, taken over, as best game of tournament.

Cant see beyond NZ v SA final.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:21 - Oct 16 with 1321 viewsstowmarketrange

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 18:43 - Oct 16 by Paddyhoops

Superb game. Lots of French fans in and lots of England fans cheering the South Africans .
Last night.

They will be cheering for the South Africans against us that’s for sure.It’s a friendly rivalry with no real bitterness between us.
I went for the 6 nations game in Paris in March 2020 and it was a great weekend apart from the result.We went into a bar after the game and there were 4 French supporters wearing fancy dress with costumes that looked like they were being carried by the queen,and it was funny to see them.We had a great night with no animosity at all.
I only wish I could post pictures on here as I’d like to share it with everyone.Maybe I can try and use it as my profile picture instead?
[Post edited 16 Oct 2023 20:35]
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 20:28 - Oct 16 with 1312 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 16:16 - Oct 16 by Rangersw12

Listening to the accents and looking at what they were wearing it was clearly French v French but hey any excuse to have a pop at the English 🙄

As for the Rugby ,Ireland are never gonna get a better chance to do something in a WC as I doubt NZ , Australia and England will be as poor again

[Post edited 16 Oct 2023 16:21]

I dunno, will England have any pro clubs left by 2027?
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 21:31 - Oct 16 with 1264 viewsBlackCrowe

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 18:43 - Oct 16 by Paddyhoops

Last night.

I wanted France and Ireland to win their games. Anything but S Hemisphere winning the cup again.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:02 - Oct 17 with 1050 viewsToast_R

South African friend of mine has ben offered two Semi Final tickets from his group of friends and has asked me if I want one!

Its a sod it falls on half term weekend as the Ferrys out are all gone and the Eurostar is ridiculously expensive at short notice.

Figuring out some routes, flight out and a couple of train journeys and a ferry back Sunday as a foot passenger seems my best hope.
Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:10 - Oct 17 with 1037 viewsrobith

Rugby World Cup 2023 - Thread on 14:02 - Oct 17 by Toast_R

South African friend of mine has ben offered two Semi Final tickets from his group of friends and has asked me if I want one!

Its a sod it falls on half term weekend as the Ferrys out are all gone and the Eurostar is ridiculously expensive at short notice.

Figuring out some routes, flight out and a couple of train journeys and a ferry back Sunday as a foot passenger seems my best hope.

You should deffo try and get there if you can, will be class.

Though to flag the Stade de France is an absolute shitshow lately - get there early is my advice
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024