Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread 12:49 - Dec 12 with 49817 viewsE17hoop

Fancy the wins will stop tomorrow. 1-1

Again, don't blame me if the run stops.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:48 - Dec 13 with 2659 viewsJimthehip

Think Kelman really didn't work

also unless Paal isn't fit to play he should have stayed on.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:48 - Dec 13 with 2641 viewsDorse

Weird game that.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:49 - Dec 13 with 2594 viewsDamo1962

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:46 - Dec 13 by rbee

Hugely frustrating and disappointing.

Fair play to those on here who predicted a draw and curbed their enthusiasm.

I know there are plenty of games to go, but this feels like a missed opportunity. Maybe Marti was doing that thing where he wants to show those upstairs how light this squad still is. Saturday is a biggy now alright.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2023 22:06]
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:49 - Dec 13 with 2590 viewsBrazilNutR

Highly frustrating to not get a goal, but I would have taken the point having watched the first 20 minutes,,, they could have easily been 4 - 0 down.. sometimes good to have a reality check, maybe will help us in the long term.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:49 - Dec 13 with 2571 viewsGloucs_R

On the plus side, just look at the table. Right back in it now.

Poor starting line up though I'm afraid. We needed to win this one

Poll: Are we staying up?

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:50 - Dec 13 with 2543 viewsloftboy

Plymouth defending reminded me of us at Wembley 2014

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:50 - Dec 13 with 2488 viewsStreathamRanger

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:47 - Dec 13 by lassel

Usually chairs biggest fan but he’s been so so poor tonight, slowing everything down, letting Plymouth get back into shape looking for the cut inside that was absolutely never on.

If Paal wasn't injured then it was a bad decision to take him off even if he was on a yellow. Didn't have the same attacking threat down the left once he went off and the right side was pretty poor most of the game.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:51 - Dec 13 with 2477 viewsJimmyR

Feels like 2 points dropped but the reality is 8 games ago not only would be have lost 3 nil, we wouldn’t have got out of our own half or registered a shot on target. A point, didn’t lose and used a lot of the squad. Even the lesser spotted Richards came on to play a few sideways passes, next game he might beat a man and have a dig
Login to get fewer ads

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:51 - Dec 13 with 2472 viewspaulparker

I didn’t think we would win tonight but I thought we were poor especially the 2nd half
Richards dear god please someone tell me what he offers because that was a cowards performance for me, strolled around and didn’t make any forward runs, didn’t look for it and just played it safe a terrible sub

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:51 - Dec 13 with 2420 viewslassel

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:47 - Dec 13 by Toast_R

Give Plymouth their dues, they were magnificent at the back.

They really didn’t have to be that good, everytime we got it we took far far too long to try and work it into the box. The first day of coaching you learn that against 10 men you move the ball side to side and get it into the box asap so the defence can’t set and the extra man gap appears….instead we stopped everytime we had it out wide and let them set for the inevitable cross.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:52 - Dec 13 with 2375 viewsStreathamRanger

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:49 - Dec 13 by Gloucs_R

On the plus side, just look at the table. Right back in it now.

Poor starting line up though I'm afraid. We needed to win this one

I'm not sure we needed to win this given the three wins we've just had. Losing would have been a disaster. This is a humbling that hopefully Marti can use to motivate them onto better things in the next game.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:52 - Dec 13 with 2327 viewsstainrods_elbow

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:46 - Dec 13 by traininvain

Smyth’s final ball and crossing needs a lot of improvement if he’s going to cut the mustard in this division.

So does everybody's! Marti needs a robust post-match interview question about it, and why it was so shocking. For me, Willock was well off it tonight, which stymied us, but we just lacked quality, devilry and ingenuity throughout. We could easily have lost 0-3 after that opening half, though, so, despite the frustrations we're all feeling, it could have been (much) worse. We're a work in progress, that's for sure, and I think the players showed their limits tonight.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:53 - Dec 13 with 2323 viewslave16

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:49 - Dec 13 by Damo1962

I know there are plenty of games to go, but this feels like a missed opportunity. Maybe Marti was doing that thing where he wants to show those upstairs how light this squad still is. Saturday is a biggy now alright.

Only seen the last 15-20 minutes - Why Kelman instead of Armstrong - does Marti not fancy Sinclair? Seen Richards on he really didn't show anything - for all the play we had we never looked like scoring. Smith the only one who looked dangerous.

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:55 - Dec 13 with 2198 viewsrbee

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:49 - Dec 13 by Damo1962

Andy Sinton saying that we would have gladly taken a point six weeks ago.

It is another point gained, another clean sheet, we learn from this. Field needs some sort of help with getting the same yellow cards over and over again.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:56 - Dec 13 with 2148 viewslassel

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:51 - Dec 13 by paulparker

I didn’t think we would win tonight but I thought we were poor especially the 2nd half
Richards dear god please someone tell me what he offers because that was a cowards performance for me, strolled around and didn’t make any forward runs, didn’t look for it and just played it safe a terrible sub

I mean that’s just untrue re: Richards, he was constantly offering the option inside for EDB and was repeatedly free at the edge of the area for the ball inside from Chair or EDB that never came.

I know he’s the boo boy, with good reason but he was interested and asking for the ball tonight.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:57 - Dec 13 with 2119 viewskarlski

Obviously frustrating given the 10 men. Have to give them credit for their defending and disciplined shape second half which limited our ability to find space. We tried and probed and just needed a bit of luck or better connection in a few situations. Willock certain goal from Chair's low pullback blocked heroically at full slide by a Plymouth player.

I sort of understand Richards in this situation because he can turn tightly with the ball but...he's simply not athletically fit enough is he? Has a lot of work to do.

Can't fault the effort and thought behind the effort. Good learning for Marti. Kelman didn't offer much unfortunately. Dykes did his best but we know his limits. Wonder if in that situation Chair should play more central to benefit from close control and turning in tight spaces. EDB was good, as was Smyth, when they came on.

More worrying was the start at 11 v 11, maybe a bit too casual. But, playing attacking football and being brave on the ball will always lead to a few dodgy situations - just looked a little complacent which needs to be stamped out.

Right in the mix now and we go onwards.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:58 - Dec 13 with 2102 viewsGloucs_R

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:52 - Dec 13 by StreathamRanger

I'm not sure we needed to win this given the three wins we've just had. Losing would have been a disaster. This is a humbling that hopefully Marti can use to motivate them onto better things in the next game.

We're in the bottom 3, ideally we need to win every game... Especially against teams in the bottom 6 when we're at home

Poll: Are we staying up?

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:58 - Dec 13 with 2083 viewsBklynRanger

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:48 - Dec 13 by Jimthehip

Think Kelman really didn't work

also unless Paal isn't fit to play he should have stayed on.

Agree with that. Still think Kelman has a role but should have been subbed half an hour earlier. for Smyth.

I think this was a game where Marti tried to stretch the squad as much as he could, maybe a bit farther than is advisable.

If Cannon was fit he should've started, and Dixon-Bonner needs to be in that midfield, more of a question where than if.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:59 - Dec 13 with 2034 viewsStreathamRanger

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:58 - Dec 13 by Gloucs_R

We're in the bottom 3, ideally we need to win every game... Especially against teams in the bottom 6 when we're at home

Sure but you're not going to win every game. The performance wasn't the best but it was far from a disaster. Hopefully we get three points against Wednesday and climb out of the bottom three.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:01 - Dec 13 with 1981 viewskarlski

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:56 - Dec 13 by lassel

I mean that’s just untrue re: Richards, he was constantly offering the option inside for EDB and was repeatedly free at the edge of the area for the ball inside from Chair or EDB that never came.

I know he’s the boo boy, with good reason but he was interested and asking for the ball tonight.

I agree he offered for it ok, tried to find pockets. Didn't have much sharpness though, no acceleration, not much strength. There's something there but needs to put a lot of work in to realise it.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:01 - Dec 13 with 1976 viewsSherryHoop

I thought Plymouth were worth a point. They were good in attack before the red and disciplined in defence after it. Red was on the soft side and it felt like the ref was trying to balance it out after that.

No one really had a good game for us. I'm not sure the red helped us tonight as we aren't able to break teams down well. I thought we were just coming back into it anyway and then with an extra man needed to score before half time whilst they were a bit disorganised.

Anyway...a point....onwards and upwards.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:03 - Dec 13 with 1880 viewshubble

I tell you what, I'll take that. This match was a Green banana skin, and by a mixture of Marti-Fuentes-Luck and their poor finishing - and a red card - we avoided it. I'll take a clean sheet and a point, damn right. What a fcking turnaround. 3 wins and draw. Yes, please, thank you very much!

And here's the thing: this isn't the first time Marti has started with the B Team and finished with the A Team. And once again, he rides his luck. There's something special about this guy.

So, first half performance: diabolical. Wow, we were lucky to keep a clean sheet.

Second half, pretty much as I hoped, and wow, the difference. Cannon is a class player at this level (certainly compared to Kakay). We look so much more composed with him there. And then, take a bow, Elijah Dixon Bonner. His best performance to date. Sumptuous paces, shots, control, beautiful football, we have some player there. That pinged pass on about 70 to take out three defenders and set Dykes up. Wow. Then that cross into the box a few minutes later.

Now, this may be contentious, but I thought Richards looked all right. There's a classy footballer in there, and I think the way Marti is eeeeasing him into the side, bit by bit, is starting to pay off. OK, he did nothing special, but he just looked good on the ball. Give him a chance, I say!

Dykes, well yeah... Did all right I suppose. Just can't really cut it. A few, if not gold, then at least silver-plated chances in the second half.

And Willock looked tired. Ilias was our best player first half, kept us in it, but he over complicated in the second half, perhaps spoiled by the luxury of too much time on the ball as Ply Mouth sat back, often with 10 men behind the ball, and soaked up the pressure.

Ply Mouth will feel chuffed to come away with a point, well fair play to them. They should have won it in the first half, but blew it. And down to 10 men, they did what you gotta do.

So all in all, I'd say that was, overall, a positive, especially with that fascinating second half, which felt at times like a boxing match, one fighter almost constantly defending from the ropes, and the other one throwing punches to the body, but unable to find that knockout blow.

Stability. 10 points out of 12. The whole squad being utilised. People being allowed to, and trained to, develop, and develop fast. I gotta say, I'm loving it so far.

Marti Cifuentes. Maaaarti Cifuentes.

Vamos Rangers.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2023 22:05]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:04 - Dec 13 with 1844 viewsbosh67

76% possession
29 shots
10 on target
6 corners

Very frustrating not to win but that's about the cumulative stats in one game against Gareth in almost all of his matches put together.

We are definitely going in the right direction to win games.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:07 - Dec 13 with 1732 viewslassel

The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 21:53 - Dec 13 by lave16

Only seen the last 15-20 minutes - Why Kelman instead of Armstrong - does Marti not fancy Sinclair? Seen Richards on he really didn't show anything - for all the play we had we never looked like scoring. Smith the only one who looked dangerous.

Armstrong has been struggling for a while off/on with hamstring problems so I imagine he is not ‘allowed’ to start games, and honestly he is so limited that he offers most to this team as a late sub bringing chaos.

Kelman was a weird choice, but he has been effective in recent games as a late sub to pressure teams into mistakes so perhaps the thinking was that he would help us press from the front, plus it is very clear that we will need to rotate this squad - Willock, Armstrong, Smyth have all had issues with niggly injuries so shouldn’t do 3 games in a week.
The "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim." Plymouth Argyle thread on 22:07 - Dec 13 with 1718 viewsderbyhoop

Hugely frustrating. Could easily have been 2 down after 15.
The red card (debateable but dangerous) changed the game.
We looked good from 25 - 45.
H2 all the pace went out of our game. Sure, they packed the defenses but did we do enough, at speed, to disrupt them? Willock faded, Chair dropped deeper. The rest of the midfield were too conservative. EDB, Dozzell and Richards.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024