Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potter to Manchester United 22:51 - Dec 14 with 1392 viewsswancity

Could happen

Is he in that league? An interesting one. Can he unravel the problems and is he strong enough?

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Potter to Manchester United on 23:17 - Dec 14 with 1360 viewsmajorraglan

Good luck to him as I think he’s going to need it. Man Utd are spending big money, they’ve got fans who think it’s their given right to win trophies and they’re coming up short. On top of that, where once they ruled the roost and were the most richest club in the league, these days there’s a cadre of richer clubs who are or who will soon be able out muscle them financially.
Potter to Manchester United on 06:10 - Dec 15 with 1287 viewsWhiterockin

His contract would probably include a massive severance clause. He could end up being one of the richest managers in football without achieving anything.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Potter to Manchester United on 09:31 - Dec 15 with 1178 viewsonehunglow

Potter to Manchester United on 06:10 - Dec 15 by Whiterockin

His contract would probably include a massive severance clause. He could end up being one of the richest managers in football without achieving anything.

He has “ potential”

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Potter to Manchester United on 12:23 - Dec 15 with 1093 viewsEagleEye

I can see why he is being linked. Did a decent job with us and took Brighton to another level, leaving a squad that has been taken even further by de Zerbi.

The interference of the owner at Chelsea caused him way more problems than he could cope with their ridiculous recruitment campaigns. Even the much sought after Pochettino is struggling to establish an identity there. He could be a good fit. Man Utd tend to give their managers a bit more time than Chelsea which may or may not work for Potter. Moyes, van Gaal & ten Hag have all been given time. He would be a decent fit imo
Potter to Manchester United on 14:23 - Dec 15 with 1014 viewsonehunglow

Potter to Manchester United on 12:23 - Dec 15 by EagleEye

I can see why he is being linked. Did a decent job with us and took Brighton to another level, leaving a squad that has been taken even further by de Zerbi.

The interference of the owner at Chelsea caused him way more problems than he could cope with their ridiculous recruitment campaigns. Even the much sought after Pochettino is struggling to establish an identity there. He could be a good fit. Man Utd tend to give their managers a bit more time than Chelsea which may or may not work for Potter. Moyes, van Gaal & ten Hag have all been given time. He would be a decent fit imo

Man Utd are primarily a world brand .
It’s more than a football club
It’s that which sees managers struggle .
Ferguson was unique

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Potter to Manchester United on 18:06 - Dec 15 with 928 viewsReslovenSwan1

Potter has worked at three UK clubs and left very poor transfer liabilities at two of them. At Swansea he demanded control of transfers and left a £7m liability of unwanted players some called unfit for purpose by Steve Cooper. (They failed the non negotiables)

At Chelsea under him Chelsea spent a fortune on players that are not performing even now. The narrative is that it was nothing to do with him. However would a stronger manager allow himself to rubber stamp such poor value signings?

Wise sage since Toshack era

Potter to Manchester United on 20:13 - Dec 15 with 874 viewsLuther27

He thinks he’s good enough…personally I don’t think he is.
Potter to Manchester United on 09:53 - Dec 16 with 792 viewsEagleEye

Potter to Manchester United on 18:06 - Dec 15 by ReslovenSwan1

Potter has worked at three UK clubs and left very poor transfer liabilities at two of them. At Swansea he demanded control of transfers and left a £7m liability of unwanted players some called unfit for purpose by Steve Cooper. (They failed the non negotiables)

At Chelsea under him Chelsea spent a fortune on players that are not performing even now. The narrative is that it was nothing to do with him. However would a stronger manager allow himself to rubber stamp such poor value signings?

Not sure how you can pin the debacle at Chelsea on him, not even convinced he would have been involved in the ‘rubber stamp’ process based on the way their yank owner operates.

At Swansea he was the first coach to give regular playing time to Conor Roberts, Ollie McBurnie, Daniel James & Joe Rodon. Without that playing time the club wouldn’t have recouped over £40million in transfer fees. I’m sure this helped plug the financial holes created by poor trading of the club while in the EPL, overseen by our very own yank businessmen Kaplan & Levein and of course Huw Jenkins. Starting with a shambles of a squad after relegation Potter put together a side playing decent football in the second half of the season. Would he have improved us even further in a second season, well we will never know but he did make a massive difference at Brighton in a similarly short period of time
Login to get fewer ads

Potter to Manchester United on 10:09 - Dec 16 with 768 viewsRichardO

If Potter had learnt how to defend set pieces in the Championship as a club we could have progressed further up the table.
As for his time at Chelsea he had lost the lynchpin of their defence in Rudiger and while Thiago Silva may have been a first classic player time pays no respect to age in an unforgiving Premiership most teams would struggle to replace both with players of the same quality as was needed under Potter. He needed time at Chelsea like he had at Brighton and chose not to give Swansea. What goes around comes around.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2023 11:30]
Potter to Manchester United on 15:11 - Dec 16 with 685 viewsReslovenSwan1

Potter to Manchester United on 09:53 - Dec 16 by EagleEye

Not sure how you can pin the debacle at Chelsea on him, not even convinced he would have been involved in the ‘rubber stamp’ process based on the way their yank owner operates.

At Swansea he was the first coach to give regular playing time to Conor Roberts, Ollie McBurnie, Daniel James & Joe Rodon. Without that playing time the club wouldn’t have recouped over £40million in transfer fees. I’m sure this helped plug the financial holes created by poor trading of the club while in the EPL, overseen by our very own yank businessmen Kaplan & Levein and of course Huw Jenkins. Starting with a shambles of a squad after relegation Potter put together a side playing decent football in the second half of the season. Would he have improved us even further in a second season, well we will never know but he did make a massive difference at Brighton in a similarly short period of time

He was the manager. Does Pochettino have any say.? I suggest to you Pochettino does and Potter did not. Potter saw a fiasco developing before his eyes and did not see fit to intervene. He was the manager.

He can argue "nothing to do with me Guvnor". So what was he being paid for? Run training and pick the matchday squad?

Potter had Premier league stars Vd Horn, Fer, Olsen, the Swedish keeper, Ayew, plus a slew of talented kids like James, Roberts, Rodon, McBurnie . He was also handed a budget of £7m which he wasted. Players like Ivan Toney were available.

I am sure g he is a great coach. Based on his record he is very poor at recruitment.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Potter to Manchester United on 23:36 - Dec 16 with 607 viewsmajorraglan

Potter to Manchester United on 15:11 - Dec 16 by ReslovenSwan1

He was the manager. Does Pochettino have any say.? I suggest to you Pochettino does and Potter did not. Potter saw a fiasco developing before his eyes and did not see fit to intervene. He was the manager.

He can argue "nothing to do with me Guvnor". So what was he being paid for? Run training and pick the matchday squad?

Potter had Premier league stars Vd Horn, Fer, Olsen, the Swedish keeper, Ayew, plus a slew of talented kids like James, Roberts, Rodon, McBurnie . He was also handed a budget of £7m which he wasted. Players like Ivan Toney were available.

I am sure g he is a great coach. Based on his record he is very poor at recruitment.

How do you know “ Potter saw a fiasco developing before his eyes and did not see fit to intervene” ? Do you have evidence of this? Chelsea have a massive scouting system and managers/head coaches invariably work with players the club buys.

As far as I am aware, Potter did not have either of the Ayew brothers available to him in the Championship, Jordan was moved on to Palace on transfer deadline day and Andre had joined one of the big Turkish teams in July. Lee Foy also had 3 months out during the season after pick8ng up several injuries.

I think Potter did well to be honest, his job was to stop the rot and stabilise the club would lost a lot of players following relegation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024