| I know things take time.... 11:23 - Jun 22 with 72299 views | heywooddale | I know things take time....and I'm not even expect signings announcement or anything New management are just bedding in and we've got to make sure we are getting the right people. That is the most important thing. But at least announce friendly, a hint at the new shirt design or new pie filling we are considering or something. My dopamine starved brain needs something/anything to engage with! (This is an entirely unserious post that probably should be ignored) [Post edited 22 Jun 11:25]
|  | | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 14:10 - Aug 1 with 5248 views | isitme |
| I know things take time.... on 13:58 - Aug 1 by KnavesmireBob | Thanks for sharing. Excellent interview, good direct questions too. Pretty confident we've got a good 'un in Watson. Just gutted about Jenkins as suspect there's a fans favourite and a very important member of the dressing room there, hopefully we won't have to wait until next season to see it materialise. |
I just stumbled across it earlier today and it contained a bit more information than the club released interview. From what I saw on Tuesday Jenkins looked like someone who could play in the number 10 role as he was picking the ball up in pockets and looked capable of running the ball as well as being creative. |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 14:16 - Aug 1 with 5205 views | D_Alien |
| I know things take time.... on 13:58 - Aug 1 by KnavesmireBob | Thanks for sharing. Excellent interview, good direct questions too. Pretty confident we've got a good 'un in Watson. Just gutted about Jenkins as suspect there's a fans favourite and a very important member of the dressing room there, hopefully we won't have to wait until next season to see it materialise. |
I agree, and you can see why he was selected to take over the reins I guess NorthenDale must've booked that pep talk with him during the week too, so that he's now able to deliver - over the weeks and months ahead - what we would wish for as fans The Jenkins injury is our only real setback, but as Watson says, everyone has rallied round and this helps create the right spirit for when he's ready to pull on a Dale shirt again |  |
|  |
| I know things take time.... on 16:32 - Aug 1 with 4963 views | NorthernDale | I wish had put the invoice in! |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 13:22 - Aug 3 with 4302 views | isitme | Another one linked. This time a right back. |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 14:47 - Aug 3 with 4099 views | NorthernDale | Simon in his interview said the Dale were hoping to bring three or four by the end of the week, I just wonder, if this young lad is one of the targets. |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 23:35 - Aug 3 with 3454 views | 49thseason | Apparently Wilson is back in the building from Chelsea.... |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 06:00 - Aug 4 with 3295 views | TalkingSutty |
| I know things take time.... on 14:47 - Aug 3 by NorthernDale | Simon in his interview said the Dale were hoping to bring three or four by the end of the week, I just wonder, if this young lad is one of the targets. |
The recruitment over the Summer hasn't really gone in the direction i expected it to do, we already seem to have five or six new players with no real experience of playing football at this level. My hope was that we would make at least five quality signings, experienced professionals who know this league, players who were better than what we already had. We're crying out for a forward with a proven track record at this level, Rodney doesn't offer enough and Hendo is a impact substitute now. I suspect we'll end up with another young loan player though. If we can't get Petit in the team we also need some physicality and muscle in midfield, somebody wh can tackle and run forward with the ball. I'm hopeful Watson knows what he's doing, he stated in his interview at weekend that he's signed all his targets and only missed out on one player. [Post edited 4 Aug 6:38]
|  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 06:32 - Aug 4 with 3249 views | kel |
| I know things take time.... on 23:35 - Aug 3 by 49thseason | Apparently Wilson is back in the building from Chelsea.... |
Aye, and the club posted a picture on Facebook of him smiling too. |  |
| Anyone seen ‘Trev’? Is he off playing golf with Duffy? |
|  | Login to get fewer ads
| I know things take time.... on 06:54 - Aug 4 with 3236 views | TalkingSutty |
| I know things take time.... on 06:32 - Aug 4 by kel | Aye, and the club posted a picture on Facebook of him smiling too. |
Poor lad, moving up from Chelsea to Rochdale isn't going to enthuse any young Premiership footballer. I bet his girlfriend isn't impressed, swapping Mayfair for Drake Street. |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 08:27 - Aug 4 with 3131 views | NorthernDale |
| I know things take time.... on 06:00 - Aug 4 by TalkingSutty | The recruitment over the Summer hasn't really gone in the direction i expected it to do, we already seem to have five or six new players with no real experience of playing football at this level. My hope was that we would make at least five quality signings, experienced professionals who know this league, players who were better than what we already had. We're crying out for a forward with a proven track record at this level, Rodney doesn't offer enough and Hendo is a impact substitute now. I suspect we'll end up with another young loan player though. If we can't get Petit in the team we also need some physicality and muscle in midfield, somebody wh can tackle and run forward with the ball. I'm hopeful Watson knows what he's doing, he stated in his interview at weekend that he's signed all his targets and only missed out on one player. [Post edited 4 Aug 6:38]
|
I would agree with your post and expected to see a number of experienced EFL players, including a striker. Did Simon suggest in his interview that we were looking to sign a striker, a winger, a midfield player and a defender by the end of the week. This is interesting in that the rumoured signings. Dajuane Brown (Derby - striker) - Derby 18 league appearances,1 goal, Gateshead 18 league appearances, 6 goals, Port Vale 24 league appearances, 1 goal. So he has the experience, even if his goal scoring record in the EFL is poor and interesting he was at Gateshead, when Carl was coaching there. Jonny Smith (Wigan -winger) - 'if we manage to get him', experience winger and is transferred listed by Wigan. Jay Smith-Sway (Huddersfield - right back) - 'if we get him', just signed a long-term contract, He as made 5 appearances on loan at Hartlepool, I think . [Post edited 4 Aug 8:58]
|  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 08:28 - Aug 4 with 3128 views | EllDale |
| I know things take time.... on 06:00 - Aug 4 by TalkingSutty | The recruitment over the Summer hasn't really gone in the direction i expected it to do, we already seem to have five or six new players with no real experience of playing football at this level. My hope was that we would make at least five quality signings, experienced professionals who know this league, players who were better than what we already had. We're crying out for a forward with a proven track record at this level, Rodney doesn't offer enough and Hendo is a impact substitute now. I suspect we'll end up with another young loan player though. If we can't get Petit in the team we also need some physicality and muscle in midfield, somebody wh can tackle and run forward with the ball. I'm hopeful Watson knows what he's doing, he stated in his interview at weekend that he's signed all his targets and only missed out on one player. [Post edited 4 Aug 6:38]
|
Would be interesting to know who the player who opted to sign elsewhere is and what position he plays. |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 08:58 - Aug 4 with 3040 views | D_Alien |
| I know things take time.... on 06:54 - Aug 4 by TalkingSutty | Poor lad, moving up from Chelsea to Rochdale isn't going to enthuse any young Premiership footballer. I bet his girlfriend isn't impressed, swapping Mayfair for Drake Street. |
A moody blue? [Post edited 4 Aug 9:00]
|  |
|  |
| I know things take time.... on 09:03 - Aug 4 with 3022 views | TalkingSutty |
| I know things take time.... on 08:27 - Aug 4 by NorthernDale | I would agree with your post and expected to see a number of experienced EFL players, including a striker. Did Simon suggest in his interview that we were looking to sign a striker, a winger, a midfield player and a defender by the end of the week. This is interesting in that the rumoured signings. Dajuane Brown (Derby - striker) - Derby 18 league appearances,1 goal, Gateshead 18 league appearances, 6 goals, Port Vale 24 league appearances, 1 goal. So he has the experience, even if his goal scoring record in the EFL is poor and interesting he was at Gateshead, when Carl was coaching there. Jonny Smith (Wigan -winger) - 'if we manage to get him', experience winger and is transferred listed by Wigan. Jay Smith-Sway (Huddersfield - right back) - 'if we get him', just signed a long-term contract, He as made 5 appearances on loan at Hartlepool, I think . [Post edited 4 Aug 8:58]
|
There is a link to Simons interview on another thread i think, he mentioned signing two or three more players. As fans we all have different opinions and expectations, i would have gone for a experienced manager like Karl Robinson and let him use his contacts in signing players to more or less guarantee us staying in EFL2. That has to be a 'must do' with us kick starting the academy. Not a long term appointment but somebody who could quickly get us EFL2 ready on the pitch. Instead the club have gone the other route and brought in a rooky manager at this level with a long term plan and trusted him to oversee recruitment etc. I think he's a lovely fella and like the rest of the fans i'm fully behind him, we all want him to succeed. I thought Stockdale was a nice guy but it didn't make him a good manager. In football timing is everything though and my main concern is that at this particular junction for the club experience is key, both on and off the field. I hope my concerns are unfounded and we pick up some early points because Watson seems like a good long term fit for the club. He'll live or die by results on the pitch like the rest of them though, he'll know that. [Post edited 4 Aug 9:08]
|  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 09:22 - Aug 4 with 2952 views | NorthernDale | God, I forgot about Stockdale, I still have not recovered from Steve Eyre. I agree with you, I thought we would have gone for an experience manager like Robinson, who seems to get success where ever he works, I accept that he may have failed. Yes, we have taken a chance with Watson and I want him to succeed, because if he succeed, the Dale succeeds, but it is lack of knowledge at EFL level that may be a concern, I hope that I proved wrong. [Post edited 4 Aug 9:30]
|  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 09:30 - Aug 4 with 2924 views | TalkingSutty |
| I know things take time.... on 09:22 - Aug 4 by NorthernDale | God, I forgot about Stockdale, I still have not recovered from Steve Eyre. I agree with you, I thought we would have gone for an experience manager like Robinson, who seems to get success where ever he works, I accept that he may have failed. Yes, we have taken a chance with Watson and I want him to succeed, because if he succeed, the Dale succeeds, but it is lack of knowledge at EFL level that may be a concern, I hope that I proved wrong. [Post edited 4 Aug 9:30]
|
Robinson is marmite, he's not my favourite character but he can come in and do a job. He's not somebody you could set out a long term plan for though and i doubt he would embrace the academy etc. He's similar to Steve Evans, very few people like him but he wins football matches. |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 11:42 - Aug 4 with 2690 views | isitme |
| I know things take time.... on 09:30 - Aug 4 by TalkingSutty | Robinson is marmite, he's not my favourite character but he can come in and do a job. He's not somebody you could set out a long term plan for though and i doubt he would embrace the academy etc. He's similar to Steve Evans, very few people like him but he wins football matches. |
I think you have just highlighted why someone like Robinson was not appointed. Like with Evans he has a limited shelf life as they rub people up the wrong way. Watson is a 'cultural fit' for the owners and will hopefully build on what McNulty created. Whether 'cultural continuity' is the best option, only time will tell. The Ogden family are extremely successful business men but how like a normal business is a football cllub? [Post edited 4 Aug 11:45]
|  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 12:01 - Aug 4 with 2636 views | EllDale | I don’t actually think Robinson has too good a track record. Seems to get teams into playoff places but not promoted. |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 12:15 - Aug 4 with 2579 views | TVOS1907 |
| I know things take time.... on 12:01 - Aug 4 by EllDale | I don’t actually think Robinson has too good a track record. Seems to get teams into playoff places but not promoted. |
Correct. He has one promotion on his CV and that was 11 years ago. |  |
| Maestro? No.
Elite? No.
Heavyweight poster? No.
Able to be rational and not over-react to individual results? Yes. |
|  |
| I know things take time.... on 12:20 - Aug 4 with 2564 views | NorthernDale | Jonny Smith as signed from Wigan on a 2 year contract. |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 12:46 - Aug 4 with 2488 views | dingdangblue |
| I know things take time.... on 12:01 - Aug 4 by EllDale | I don’t actually think Robinson has too good a track record. Seems to get teams into playoff places but not promoted. |
All the clips I've seen of him from Salford he's either slagging off refs or yelling at the players in the changing rooms. Not quite what we need. |  |
|  |
| I know things take time.... on 12:49 - Aug 4 with 2482 views | TalkingSutty |
| I know things take time.... on 12:01 - Aug 4 by EllDale | I don’t actually think Robinson has too good a track record. Seems to get teams into playoff places but not promoted. |
I know that, i wasn't thinking about promotion. I was more interested in his contacts and ability to get some experienced players in quickly, also knowledge in respect of EFL2 until we're established. It's irrelevant now anyway. [Post edited 4 Aug 13:20]
|  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 13:48 - Aug 4 with 2324 views | 49thseason |
| I know things take time.... on 12:49 - Aug 4 by TalkingSutty | I know that, i wasn't thinking about promotion. I was more interested in his contacts and ability to get some experienced players in quickly, also knowledge in respect of EFL2 until we're established. It's irrelevant now anyway. [Post edited 4 Aug 13:20]
|
MRKT know more about every player, manager and other teams than the likes of Evans and Robinson will ever know.. If you modus operandi requires you to hand out frequent bollockings, its only a matter of time until players start looking elsewhere, discord breaks out in the ranks and players are continually looking over their shoulders...Their days have been and gone, the evidence seems to prove that you need a system, players who fit it and the enthusiasm to make it work based on encouragement and praise... The system has been agreed at the COA , we employ people who fit in, people who come with a strong work ethic and pleasant personality...Yes there will be disagreements, tough love etc, but a sense of humour, trust and fair treatment goes a long way towards success.. Some thoughts from MRKT: https://mrktinsights.com/index |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 14:16 - Aug 4 with 2263 views | TalkingSutty |
| I know things take time.... on 13:48 - Aug 4 by 49thseason | MRKT know more about every player, manager and other teams than the likes of Evans and Robinson will ever know.. If you modus operandi requires you to hand out frequent bollockings, its only a matter of time until players start looking elsewhere, discord breaks out in the ranks and players are continually looking over their shoulders...Their days have been and gone, the evidence seems to prove that you need a system, players who fit it and the enthusiasm to make it work based on encouragement and praise... The system has been agreed at the COA , we employ people who fit in, people who come with a strong work ethic and pleasant personality...Yes there will be disagreements, tough love etc, but a sense of humour, trust and fair treatment goes a long way towards success.. Some thoughts from MRKT: https://mrktinsights.com/index |
Yes i know about MRKT we've used them for a long time. The manager is still heavily involved in the sign off of new recruits. To be fair to Steve Evans he's a serial promotion winner and is doing a fantastic job at Bristol Rovers. You don't have to like a managers personality to recognise that they know how to put a decent football team together. |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 18:14 - Aug 4 with 1908 views | 49thseason |
| I know things take time.... on 14:16 - Aug 4 by TalkingSutty | Yes i know about MRKT we've used them for a long time. The manager is still heavily involved in the sign off of new recruits. To be fair to Steve Evans he's a serial promotion winner and is doing a fantastic job at Bristol Rovers. You don't have to like a managers personality to recognise that they know how to put a decent football team together. |
I assumed you did.... if you read the article it shows, albeit in fairly broad strokes ,why a mastery of the data works better than just spending a ton of cash on players that the manager " fancies" and who he thinks thinks can "do a job", The key to long term success is in developing the system or " style of play" with managers who have been proven to suit it and players who understand and can execute it.. bringing in someone just because they have had an occasional success in the past with a particular group of players does nothing to enhance the chances of future and long term success.... When I Watson goes to the board and says I want player A and Player B he will do so with the evidence that they are a good fit via the data and thus the system, not a guess because he has watched a few videos.. The proof of the pudding is to ask what happened to the clubs Evans worked for after he left the truth is a very mixed picture, but in most cases, the clubs slipped backwards Clubs Managed and Sustainability of Progress Boston UnitedProgress: Guided them into the Football League (Conference champions in 2002), though marred by off-field financial controversies.Sustained: No. They struggled to establish themselves and eventually suffered relegation back out of the league and further down the pyramid. Crawley Town Progress: Took them from the Conference to League One with record-breaking non-league investment and back-to-back momentum.Sustained: Partially short-term. They remained competitive in League One immediately after he left for Rotherham, but eventually dropped back down levels in subsequent years. Rotherham United (First Spell: 2012–2015)Progress: Achieved back-to-back promotions from League Two up to the Championship.Sustained: Yes, temporarily. He kept them in the Championship in 2014/15, and the club survived in the second tier for a few more seasons under subsequent management before becoming a classic yo-yo club. His second return to Rotherham (2024–2025) was far less successful and ended in a departure amid struggles. Leeds United (2015–2016)Progress: Stabilized a turbulent Championship campaign under Massimo Cellino to finish 13th.Sustained: N/A. He was only ever a short-term appointment and left at the end of the season, making way for Garry Monk to build a longer-term push. Mansfield Town, Peterborough United, & Gillingham (2016–2022)Progress: Kept teams competitive or near the playoff/promotion mix in Leagues One and Two, leaving Mansfield while they were 5th in the table.Sustained: Mixed. None kicked on to establish higher-tier status immediately after he departed; most experienced a regression or required a reset. Stevenage (2022–2024)Progress: Saved them from a League Two drop and then secured an automatic promotion finish to League One, keeping them challenging near the top half.Sustained: Yes, reasonably well. The foundational defensive/direct resilience he installed allowed Stevenage to remain stable competitors in League One after his departure to Rotherham in April 2024. Bristol Rovers (2025–Present)Progress: Appointed in December 2025 to rescue them from a severe League Two relegation fight, completing a remarkable survival mission and signing a two-year extension through 2028 after a historic winning run.Sustained: Ongoing. He is currently preparing the club for the ongoing 2026/27 campaign. |  | |  |
| I know things take time.... on 19:22 - Aug 4 with 1791 views | TalkingSutty |
| I know things take time.... on 18:14 - Aug 4 by 49thseason | I assumed you did.... if you read the article it shows, albeit in fairly broad strokes ,why a mastery of the data works better than just spending a ton of cash on players that the manager " fancies" and who he thinks thinks can "do a job", The key to long term success is in developing the system or " style of play" with managers who have been proven to suit it and players who understand and can execute it.. bringing in someone just because they have had an occasional success in the past with a particular group of players does nothing to enhance the chances of future and long term success.... When I Watson goes to the board and says I want player A and Player B he will do so with the evidence that they are a good fit via the data and thus the system, not a guess because he has watched a few videos.. The proof of the pudding is to ask what happened to the clubs Evans worked for after he left the truth is a very mixed picture, but in most cases, the clubs slipped backwards Clubs Managed and Sustainability of Progress Boston UnitedProgress: Guided them into the Football League (Conference champions in 2002), though marred by off-field financial controversies.Sustained: No. They struggled to establish themselves and eventually suffered relegation back out of the league and further down the pyramid. Crawley Town Progress: Took them from the Conference to League One with record-breaking non-league investment and back-to-back momentum.Sustained: Partially short-term. They remained competitive in League One immediately after he left for Rotherham, but eventually dropped back down levels in subsequent years. Rotherham United (First Spell: 2012–2015)Progress: Achieved back-to-back promotions from League Two up to the Championship.Sustained: Yes, temporarily. He kept them in the Championship in 2014/15, and the club survived in the second tier for a few more seasons under subsequent management before becoming a classic yo-yo club. His second return to Rotherham (2024–2025) was far less successful and ended in a departure amid struggles. Leeds United (2015–2016)Progress: Stabilized a turbulent Championship campaign under Massimo Cellino to finish 13th.Sustained: N/A. He was only ever a short-term appointment and left at the end of the season, making way for Garry Monk to build a longer-term push. Mansfield Town, Peterborough United, & Gillingham (2016–2022)Progress: Kept teams competitive or near the playoff/promotion mix in Leagues One and Two, leaving Mansfield while they were 5th in the table.Sustained: Mixed. None kicked on to establish higher-tier status immediately after he departed; most experienced a regression or required a reset. Stevenage (2022–2024)Progress: Saved them from a League Two drop and then secured an automatic promotion finish to League One, keeping them challenging near the top half.Sustained: Yes, reasonably well. The foundational defensive/direct resilience he installed allowed Stevenage to remain stable competitors in League One after his departure to Rotherham in April 2024. Bristol Rovers (2025–Present)Progress: Appointed in December 2025 to rescue them from a severe League Two relegation fight, completing a remarkable survival mission and signing a two-year extension through 2028 after a historic winning run.Sustained: Ongoing. He is currently preparing the club for the ongoing 2026/27 campaign. |
Your post confirms what i said, Evans is a very good lower league manager. You can do a detailed breakdown of hundreds of lower league managers and Evans is up there with the best. Styles of play and systems have never been set in stone, they go in and out of fashion, modern day coaches trying to reinvent the wheel. At some point a prominent coach will ask why are we taking twenty passes to progress the ball to our opponents penalty area, why don't we practice trying to do it in ten or five instead. We already now know that winning games without dominating possession isn't difficult to do. Last season the top teams in the Premiership came up with a novel idea, let's put long throws into the penalty area, a idea straight out of the 1980s. So there has never been a set way of playing, it's what's in fashion at the time. As a club we can decide how we want to play the game but if there isn't the flexibility to change it then we could be the only one sticking to that style and losing games, you have to always be willing to adapt. Ultimately the only thing that matters is what happens in both penalty boxes and winning football matches. If you aren't winning your club ends up relegated and implodes, people lose their jobs. You look a bit daft if as a club you stuck to your principals of playing a certain style but you keep losing week in and week out. MRKT probably suits us, they effectively do the scouting job for us but a lot of clubs are very successful who don't use that model so it's not the holy grail. You don't have the benefit of hindsight neither, you don't know if Watson will be successful, or the manager who follows him. Watson stated that we will be playing football different to most of the teams in this league, it means nothing though if it doesn't win football matches. We'll soon find out. [Post edited 4 Aug 19:32]
|  | |  |
| |