Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" 19:15 - Jul 15 with 6548 viewsJonDoeman

@davidmcintyre76 2h

Some strong interest in Mackie brewing. As I said towards end of last season, would not be at all surprised if he left #QPR this summer.

Getting rid of Mackie would be crazy IMO.

It Is What It Is !!

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 11:10 - Jul 16 with 884 viewsQPunkR

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 10:22 - Jul 16 by Monahoop

That's it. Get rid of the few good players the club have like Mackie and keep the dross that let everyone down so badly last term.

Of course Harry knows what he's doing. Doesn't he?

Yup. Let's sell Mackie, who has an affinity with the Club and will always try, and is also proven at this level, and keep the likes of Shite-Phillips, Granero, Mbia etc, who are all world-beaters

Ye gods, Mackie's *exactly* the sort of player we should be keeping

QPR - "shit but local"

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 11:14 - Jul 16 with 874 viewsClive_Anderson

He scores goals, is incredibly fit, runs all day and can play in midfield or upfront.

Exactly the sort of player we need to avoid doing a Wolves and dropping straight down again.
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 11:16 - Jul 16 with 872 viewshoopstilidie

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 11:14 - Jul 16 by Clive_Anderson

He scores goals, is incredibly fit, runs all day and can play in midfield or upfront.

Exactly the sort of player we need to avoid doing a Wolves and dropping straight down again.

Has also slotted in at RB and made a pretty good fist of it.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 11:18 - Jul 16 with 864 viewsNorthernr

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 11:10 - Jul 16 by QPunkR

Yup. Let's sell Mackie, who has an affinity with the Club and will always try, and is also proven at this level, and keep the likes of Shite-Phillips, Granero, Mbia etc, who are all world-beaters

Ye gods, Mackie's *exactly* the sort of player we should be keeping

To play devil's advocate (I think it's crazy and he should stay) all the reasons you've stated there are why we might be able to sell him and cannot shift the others you've mentioned. The club needs to get that wage bill down incase we're in for a prolonged stay at this level and selling people like Mackie who do have a decent attitude and a high work rate is a lot easier than trying to sell ageing, bone idle, expensive wastes of space.
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 11:25 - Jul 16 with 852 viewsQPunkR

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 11:18 - Jul 16 by Northernr

To play devil's advocate (I think it's crazy and he should stay) all the reasons you've stated there are why we might be able to sell him and cannot shift the others you've mentioned. The club needs to get that wage bill down incase we're in for a prolonged stay at this level and selling people like Mackie who do have a decent attitude and a high work rate is a lot easier than trying to sell ageing, bone idle, expensive wastes of space.

This is indeed true, but I was more referring to those on this board who are of the opinion that we should sell him.
Sadly it is the case that, while he's still not one of the more 'bankable' names, clubs with sense and an actual strategy would be more likely to look at him than, to pick a random name out of the hat, Our Joey or Boswanker

QPR - "shit but local"

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 11:38 - Jul 16 with 829 viewsrobith

It would be madness to sell him, which knowing us probably makes it a dead cert.

He works best as a right forward in a 4231 but Redknapp seems wedded to 442 and 4411.

I'd be pretty p!ssed off tbh as North pointed out with all Redknapp's chat about hard work, yet was repeatedly left on the bench behind SWP and with Bosingwa on the pitch!
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 17:25 - Jul 16 with 745 viewsNathanNI

He stays for me. Aside from being one of the players that actually cares I think he'd do a good job this season.
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:00 - Jul 16 with 704 viewsbaz_qpr

For all those saying keep, where does he play in your first choice team in a HR formation? No one is answering this question
Login to get fewer ads

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:08 - Jul 16 with 687 viewsWeaverQPR

You cant play him up top because he misses too many chances. If you play him out wide he does cause a FB problems but he is very prone to running down blind alleys, failing to look up or pass at the crucial times, final ball needs improving drastically.

But his head never drops, he will literally run and run and give you everything he's got, which is more than the rest of the squad.
As for a team of Jamie Mackies well they would try hard but ultimately lack any real quality or punch.

If we could get 3m plus id be tempted.

@WeavQPR

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:08 - Jul 16 with 684 viewsFDC

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:00 - Jul 16 by baz_qpr

For all those saying keep, where does he play in your first choice team in a HR formation? No one is answering this question

Harry should play the formation that results in his best team being on the pitch. If we want a team that's going to be up for a scrap then Mackie should be in or around it, surely.
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:12 - Jul 16 with 671 viewsNorthernr

Wide right, or if the usual smaller central attacker is injured then there.
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:14 - Jul 16 with 668 viewsbaz_qpr

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:08 - Jul 16 by FDC

Harry should play the formation that results in his best team being on the pitch. If we want a team that's going to be up for a scrap then Mackie should be in or around it, surely.

Look for me I'd play 4-2-3-1 and have him as one of the three with Adel and hoilett as he was in the championship winning team. Any other position in any other formation is a waste of a place, as there are much better options in those positions both in the squad and in the market for not very much money.
I dont want my wide players to be just "up for a scrap" they have to be able to contribute 10 -15 goals/assist combo if this team is to be anywhere other than mid table
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:18 - Jul 16 with 660 viewsNorthernr

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:14 - Jul 16 by baz_qpr

Look for me I'd play 4-2-3-1 and have him as one of the three with Adel and hoilett as he was in the championship winning team. Any other position in any other formation is a waste of a place, as there are much better options in those positions both in the squad and in the market for not very much money.
I dont want my wide players to be just "up for a scrap" they have to be able to contribute 10 -15 goals/assist combo if this team is to be anywhere other than mid table

Mackie got ten in the Championship last time and didn't play after January because he broke his leg.
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:22 - Jul 16 with 640 viewsEalingRanger

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:18 - Jul 16 by Northernr

Mackie got ten in the Championship last time and didn't play after January because he broke his leg.

I think he is actually become a better player since then as well. I reckon Mackie will get 15 goals for us next season if he plays plenty of games.
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:29 - Jul 16 with 632 viewsbaz_qpr

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:12 - Jul 16 by Northernr

Wide right, or if the usual smaller central attacker is injured then there.

And what has he contributed in a wide right role (other than in a 4-2-3-1 cutting in) to be worthy of the starting position in the shirt. 5 assists in 3 seasons not good enough for 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 . 2 goals last season, that little purple patch in our championship winning side is the only real patch of that kind in his career and Ageymang had one of those too. I am not doing the guy down but he is 27 and if someone offers good money that can be reinvested I think the club should do that business.
(No subject) on 18:34 - Jul 16 with 625 viewsNorthernr

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:29 - Jul 16 by baz_qpr

And what has he contributed in a wide right role (other than in a 4-2-3-1 cutting in) to be worthy of the starting position in the shirt. 5 assists in 3 seasons not good enough for 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 . 2 goals last season, that little purple patch in our championship winning side is the only real patch of that kind in his career and Ageymang had one of those too. I am not doing the guy down but he is 27 and if someone offers good money that can be reinvested I think the club should do that business.

Oh come on Agyemang's purple patches six matches in three weeks. Mackie's "little purple patch" was six months long and only cut short by a broken leg. He was very good and consistent for us in a wide right attacking role in the first premier League season, borderline POTY in my opinion, and he didn't start last season badly either. The Championship is inferior to the Premier League as well.

And I'd love to know who these better options you think we have in our current squad.
If desperate any of the following could play wide right:
NA Jose Bosingwa (D) Portugal
NA Michael Harriman (D) Ireland
NA Stephane Mbia (D) Cameroon
NA Danny Simpson (D) England
NA Bruno Andrade (M) Portugal
NA Joey Barton (M) England
NA Michael Doughty (M) England
NA Hogan Ephraim (M) England
NA Esteban Granero (M) Spain
NA David Hoilett (M) Canada
NA Jermaine Jenas (M) England
NA Ji-Sung Park (M) South Korea
NA Mo Sharif (M) England
NA Adel Taarabt (M) Morocco
NA Shaun Wright-Phillips (M) England
NA Angelo Balanta (F)

The only two I'd consider possibly better bets than him are Hoilett (who was fcking awful last season anyway) and Taarabt (who it seems is off anyway) and both of them are better used elsewhere.

Is there a secret stash of right sided attacking players brimming with goals and assists down at Harlington that I'm unaware of?
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 19:01 - Jul 16 with 593 viewsjo_qpr63

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 22:59 - Jul 15 by Antti_Heinola

You gotta love football fans. Spend far too much time talking absolute twaddle about 'tradition' and 'loyalty' and slagging off players on big wages for 'sitting on contracts' etc. And then when there is a player who has all the heart in the world, has scored more vital goals for us than anyone except for Taarabt since Furs hung up his scoring boots, who has a great attitude, works hard, is willing and wants to improve himself as a player (and has done) and everyone is just 'take the money'. Funny how with football fans loyalty only works one way, isn't it?

Well put. My thoughts entirely, just a much better written post then mine.
(No subject) on 19:11 - Jul 16 with 572 viewsAntti_Heinola

(No subject) on 18:34 - Jul 16 by Northernr

Oh come on Agyemang's purple patches six matches in three weeks. Mackie's "little purple patch" was six months long and only cut short by a broken leg. He was very good and consistent for us in a wide right attacking role in the first premier League season, borderline POTY in my opinion, and he didn't start last season badly either. The Championship is inferior to the Premier League as well.

And I'd love to know who these better options you think we have in our current squad.
NA Mo Sharif (M) England
NA Angelo Balanta (F)

The only two I'd consider possibly better bets than him are Hoilett (who was fcking awful last season anyway) and Taarabt (who it seems is off anyway) and both of them are better used elsewhere.

Is there a secret stash of right sided attacking players brimming with goals and assists down at Harlington that I'm unaware of?

Spot on as usual. I've been working on a football programme recently that has meant a lot of archive digging, and it brought back so many Mackie memories. The idea that he was only good for half a season in the Championship is so blinkered it's laughable. As you say, he had a fine first season in the Prem, scoring and setting up some vital goals. His contribution v Liverpool at home alone shows you what a player he can be.
I remember Olly talking about piano carriers etc in the old days. Just because Mackie hasn't got silky skills, doesn't mean he's not incredibly valuable to us. I'm flabbergasted anyone would want to sell him, I really am.

Bare bones.

(No subject) on 19:12 - Jul 16 with 569 viewsjo_qpr63

I think he can play one of the 2 up top pretty well,plus on the right .
Again, i think Northern has pretty much summed up this debate about Mackie. We should keep him end of...

Plus my daughter will hate me if he goes.
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 19:19 - Jul 16 with 560 viewsolderR

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 18:29 - Jul 16 by baz_qpr

Agree he had a"Dave" moment.

Get rid, good attitude ain't enough.
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 19:20 - Jul 16 with 558 viewswaveydave

LOL at anyone thinking it would be a remotely good idea to sell Mackie

he is the epitome of the kind of player we need to get out of this division. AND that is not to be argued with, Warnock proved this three seasons ago with THAT team of hard-workers who done us proud.

And to those saying he won't be first team, don't worry he will make a contribution worth his wages.
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 19:43 - Jul 16 with 535 viewsQPR_John

"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 19:20 - Jul 16 by waveydave

LOL at anyone thinking it would be a remotely good idea to sell Mackie

he is the epitome of the kind of player we need to get out of this division. AND that is not to be argued with, Warnock proved this three seasons ago with THAT team of hard-workers who done us proud.

And to those saying he won't be first team, don't worry he will make a contribution worth his wages.

Could not agree more about the team of hard workers but and it is a big but there was Taarabt to finish it off. If he is to be no longer there who do you suggest plays that role.
"strong interest in Mackie brewing" on 21:01 - Jul 16 with 491 viewsBlackCrowe

He's the right kind of attitude in the championship but that is not enough up top and I will absolutely LOL at any premier league club who are thinking that he will excel in that league.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

(No subject) on 22:03 - Jul 16 with 449 viewsbaz_qpr

(No subject) on 18:34 - Jul 16 by Northernr

NA Mo Sharif (M) England
NA Angelo Balanta (F)

8 goals in 6 weeks 7 Aug - 18 september, 3 months to the next goal

Ageymang 8 goals in 5 weeks 12 Jan - 12 Feb

So I think the purple patches are comparable.

As I said before in a 4-2-3-1 which is the formation that Warnock bought him specifically to do a role in he did really well for a while but struggled later to have an impact once teams had started to allow for him. When Routledge came back in IMHO he was far more effective overall for the team in the later half of the season. However if we were to play that formation I would say keep, but we wont because its not HRs way of playing.

As to listing the current squad and saying whos better in that position in the current squad I think thats a pretty weak argument slap bang in the middle of a transfer window. I think we will bring either a loan or a buy, maybe Townsend maybe someone else for that position and JM wont be a starter. As I said earlier the attacking wide positions need to be productive and Mackie has only ever done that in a 6 week window and his assist record in that position is appalling.

In truth I think if he continues to improve as he has done under his time with Ainsworth I suspect Andrade might have that position by the end of the season, he's tricky, fast goes direct to the byline and can cross a ball from what I've seen. You can really see the effect Ainsworth has had on him.

(No subject) on 22:15 - Jul 16 with 429 viewsNorthernr

(No subject) on 22:03 - Jul 16 by baz_qpr

8 goals in 6 weeks 7 Aug - 18 september, 3 months to the next goal

Ageymang 8 goals in 5 weeks 12 Jan - 12 Feb

So I think the purple patches are comparable.

As I said before in a 4-2-3-1 which is the formation that Warnock bought him specifically to do a role in he did really well for a while but struggled later to have an impact once teams had started to allow for him. When Routledge came back in IMHO he was far more effective overall for the team in the later half of the season. However if we were to play that formation I would say keep, but we wont because its not HRs way of playing.

As to listing the current squad and saying whos better in that position in the current squad I think thats a pretty weak argument slap bang in the middle of a transfer window. I think we will bring either a loan or a buy, maybe Townsend maybe someone else for that position and JM wont be a starter. As I said earlier the attacking wide positions need to be productive and Mackie has only ever done that in a 6 week window and his assist record in that position is appalling.

In truth I think if he continues to improve as he has done under his time with Ainsworth I suspect Andrade might have that position by the end of the season, he's tricky, fast goes direct to the byline and can cross a ball from what I've seen. You can really see the effect Ainsworth has had on him.

"As to listing the current squad and saying who's better in that position in the current squad I think that's a pretty weak argument slap bang in the middle of a transfer window."

Hang on a minute, I only did that because you said "there are much better options in those positions both in the squad..."

So where are these better options in the squad?

If Andrade makes a Championship player I'll give you the money myself.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024