Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The one that got away? 23:22 - Jun 4 with 1082 viewswessex_exile

Okay, genuine question on the back of Dickson departing - how many players do we know who we've let go and have gone on to prove us wrong at a higher level. I don't mean those who we had to let go because we couldn't compete on wages or contract, or had silly money offered for, or even those who are determined to leave whatever we offered, but the ones that managers clearly thought were no-hopers but have gone on to prove us wrong?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The one that got away? on 09:36 - Jun 5 with 1061 viewsdavey_ravey_snr

I think there are a number of players that Lambert never gave a game to who proved him wrong. Loved all by all except Lambert was Johnny Jackson who rightly plays in the championshp.

I can also think of Boothroyd not fancying David Fox who went on to play in the premier league but never got a game for us in his second season.

I liked these players but the managers didn't, which was a shame and I'm glad they proved them both wrong.

Thinking of another, Perkins. Never really rated him that highly and he went on to play in the championship after we let him leave.
The one that got away? on 09:37 - Jun 5 with 1061 viewsLeadbelly

To run alongside that question, how about non league players that Col U have overlooked/dismissed who have gone on to have a successful career in the football league? I seem to recall a big striker at Tiptree who we didn't rate that played many years in the league. Name escapes me though.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

The one that got away? on 12:59 - Jun 5 with 1052 viewsDaniel

Lawrie Wilson is the first player that springs to mind. He signed for us when we were in the Championship, never played for us, and got released. He's now a regular for Charlton in the Championship!
The one that got away? on 17:21 - Jun 5 with 1038 viewsbwildered

Good question Wessex . Might show the U's track record is not that bad .
Think Garry Nelson, striker, said in his book ( well worth a read about life in the lower leagues ) had a trial for the U's, before signing for Southend .
Most notable player that comes to mind though is John Taylor, Cambridge United, who played in the stiffs in central midfield ,(a Dennis Longhorn clone) , but Cyril Lea ?? , thought he was to lightweight due to the hurly burly Town and Country league, no academy then, so released him. Ironically came back on loan near the end of his career under Wiggy.

Possible Neil Harris , Millwall ex striker - Leadbelly .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The one that got away? on 17:40 - Jun 5 with 1032 viewsLeadbelly

The one that got away? on 17:21 - Jun 5 by bwildered

Think Garry Nelson, striker, said in his book ( well worth a read about life in the lower leagues ) had a trial for the U's, before signing for Southend .
Most notable player that comes to mind though is John Taylor, Cambridge United, who played in the stiffs in central midfield ,(a Dennis Longhorn clone) , but Cyril Lea ?? , thought he was to lightweight due to the hurly burly Town and Country league, no academy then, so released him. Ironically came back on loan near the end of his career under Wiggy.

Not Harris, although another good example. The player I'm thinking of was tall, physical and black. Definitely played against us a few times.

The one that got away? on 18:19 - Jun 5 with 1027 viewswessex_exile

The one that got away? on 09:36 - Jun 5 by davey_ravey_snr

I think there are a number of players that Lambert never gave a game to who proved him wrong. Loved all by all except Lambert was Johnny Jackson who rightly plays in the championshp.

I can also think of Boothroyd not fancying David Fox who went on to play in the premier league but never got a game for us in his second season.

I liked these players but the managers didn't, which was a shame and I'm glad they proved them both wrong.

Thinking of another, Perkins. Never really rated him that highly and he went on to play in the championship after we let him leave.

Johnnie Jackson is a good shout, though if I recall he was quite public on his intention to leave whatever we did or didn't offer him at the time (no doubt down to Lambchop's man-management I grant you).

Perkins I rated very highly, and was very sorry to see him go, though to be fair we did offer him a contract extension at the time, and he did eventually move to Championship Barnsley, so I'm not counting him as one that got away.

Up the U's

The one that got away? on 18:26 - Jun 5 with 1025 viewswessex_exile

The one that got away? on 17:21 - Jun 5 by bwildered

John Taylor - now that's a good one. Didn't even realise we had him here for a while? In his day, he was an awesome lower league striker.

Someone help me out, I'm sure I remember we gave a trial to some lad, didn't take it any further, and he went on to be a megastar - was it Ian Wright, someone like that?

Up the U's

The one that got away? on 18:33 - Jun 5 with 1024 viewswessex_exile

Of course, we could put top of the list as one that got away our very own Joe Dunne - but we got him back, so that's okay...

Peanut - never went on to do much once we'd let him go, but I always thought he should have done (#wastedtalent)

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

The one that got away? on 18:49 - Jun 5 with 1022 viewsDaniel

The one that got away? on 17:40 - Jun 5 by Leadbelly

Not Harris, although another good example. The player I'm thinking of was tall, physical and black. Definitely played against us a few times.

Leo Fortune-West?
The one that got away? on 19:06 - Jun 5 with 1009 viewsbwildered

Fortune West played at Bishop Stortford , and might have played at Tiptree, not sure he was ever on the books.
Alex Revell played at Braintree not so long ago.
Best player released and picked up must be Micky Cook who was on the books at Orient .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The one that got away? on 08:07 - Jun 6 with 981 viewsBFG

Half of Leyton Orient
The one that got away? on 16:57 - Jun 6 with 961 viewsBarsidepete

Begrudgingly, Shrimper's skipper John White, ..and Izzy, would have been a less stressful campaign with Kem on the pitch.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

The one that got away? on 09:45 - Jun 9 with 909 viewsLeadbelly

The one that got away? on 18:49 - Jun 5 by Daniel

Leo Fortune-West?

That's the chap. Started his career at Tiptree.

The one that got away? on 11:21 - Jun 9 with 906 viewsgerry_us

The one that got away? on 09:45 - Jun 9 by Leadbelly

Picking strawberries?
The one that got away? on 20:03 - Jun 9 with 887 viewsBlue4U2

The one that got away? on 09:45 - Jun 9 by Leadbelly

Just looked him up on Wiki - think he deserves the title of "well travelled!"
21 clubs in 20 years plus a handful of non-league clubs (dates unknown)
finishing off with player-manager at his last club Armthorpe.
The one that got away? on 20:05 - Jun 11 with 827 viewsMartz

The one that got away? on 20:03 - Jun 9 by Blue4U2

Just looked him up on Wiki - think he deserves the title of "well travelled!"
21 clubs in 20 years plus a handful of non-league clubs (dates unknown)
finishing off with player-manager at his last club Armthorpe.

I can remember we had Aaron Mclean on trial at one point under Parky - he went on to score bags of goals for Peterborough as well as a nice little transfer fee for them too
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024