Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non-league Robins in Town today 07:41 - Dec 6 with 1071 viewsdurham_exile

U's up for the Cup!

After a weekend which has seen Storm Desmond wreak havoc in the North of England, particularly Cumbria and parts of Durham, football is put very much in perspective.

Today though offers both teams the opportunity to secure a Third Round draw against one of the elite of English Football and Chelsea!

Lee Sinnott brings his Altrincham team to the WHCS in the knowledge that they have accumulated 17 league scalps over the years. Ironically that record stands even though they had not accounted for a league team since season 1994-95 until the Tykes in Round One this season.

Altrincham are not to be taken lightly however. Despite languishing in 18th place in the Vanarama National League and with two players suspended (O'Keefe and Havern) after being dismissed in their last outing in an ill tempered affair at Forest Green, they will start today at 2pm virtually as equals.

Colchester legend Wayne Brown, Caretaker boss of the U's knows that he has been given two games to prove his managerial qualities and in fairness he really can't complain when you consider that those opponents are Altrincham and Barnsley, both at home and both eminently winnable.

But the U's are leaking goals, with 49 in 20 league games and confidence is undoubtedly low. I watched a bright start against Burton last Saturday quickly fizzle out and the U's shipped another 5 goals in a game that at one stage they could have deservedly won.

WB will be aware of the threat not only from the Robins but also the press who will be present together with the TV cameras at the merest suggestion of an upset.

Brownie will be looking of course to win the game, but he will be acutely aware of the importance of keeping a clean sheet. Jones was unfairly criticised last week by small elements of the faithful. That was unwarranted at a time when the U's are fragile and require support both physical and mental.

Storm Desmond is moving south but weakening all the time, the match should be ok this afternoon and apart from strong winds , there should be little of the accompanying rainfall which we have experienced in Northern Britain.

WB is unlikely to change the back four, he was present before the game last week with the back four of Brindley, Eastman, Kent and Briggs and I do not expect that formation to change today. The rest of the team could look something like this:

Jones

Brindley Kent Eastman Briggs

Edwards Moncur Gilbey

Harriott Sordell Massey

Subs:

Parish Olufemi Ambrose Sembie-Ferris Szmodics Wright Porter

WB will get his charges to approach this game with professionalism and intent from the outset. It is all about the victory today and securing a clean sheet will go a considerable way to achieving that aim.

It is the FA Cup and a welcome distraction from the league. The faithful will be present together with a healthy contingent from Cheshire. I expect Colchester to prevail and to do so they must start strong and overcome any early nerves to score the goals necessary to ensure that they do not become league victim number 18 for the Robins.

2-0 to the U's would be just the ticket for the draw on Monday evening.

Enjoy the game. Up the U's

Durham_exile

Non-league Robins in Town today on 15:35 - Dec 6 with 1021 viewsBarsidepete

2-2 v Altrincham late in the game? (90th minute)

What?

This is a pretty decent 11 U's side choking up a chance for a great 3rd round tie?

Crickey. Here comes Durham/Pete or Noah with a 5000 word explanation.

*I'm going to keep editing this little post until I go and have some adult beverage and cigarettes at FT.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2015 15:52]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Non-league Robins in Town today on 15:54 - Dec 6 with 1009 viewsdurham_exile

Non-league Robins in Town today on 15:35 - Dec 6 by Barsidepete

2-2 v Altrincham late in the game? (90th minute)

What?

This is a pretty decent 11 U's side choking up a chance for a great 3rd round tie?

Crickey. Here comes Durham/Pete or Noah with a 5000 word explanation.

*I'm going to keep editing this little post until I go and have some adult beverage and cigarettes at FT.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2015 15:52]

Pete

Huge relief as Callum Harriott seals victory.

Man U here we come!

Up the U's

Wayne Brown's name is half on the Manager's door already!!!!!

Durham_exile

Non-league Robins in Town today on 16:02 - Dec 6 with 1002 viewsBarsidepete

Non-league Robins in Town today on 15:54 - Dec 6 by durham_exile

Pete

Huge relief as Callum Harriott seals victory.

Man U here we come!

Up the U's

Wayne Brown's name is half on the Manager's door already!!!!!

You know it, Pete.

Ey, don't forget your NFL picks. You have two hours. No default picks.

You really think WB? Great to be in the 3rd round but there is that little matter of staying up too.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Non-league Robins in Town today on 16:38 - Dec 6 with 979 viewsdurham_exile

Non-league Robins in Town today on 16:02 - Dec 6 by Barsidepete

You know it, Pete.

Ey, don't forget your NFL picks. You have two hours. No default picks.

You really think WB? Great to be in the 3rd round but there is that little matter of staying up too.

Pete WB only because RC will make another in house appointment.

Otherwise - it would have been the Doog

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Non-league Robins in Town today on 17:13 - Dec 6 with 966 viewsLeadbelly

Based on that performance I wouldn't be crowning Brown as King of WHCS just yet.

Some woeful defending again, little movement off the ball and we could barely string two passes together. At least substitutions were made earlier than has been the norm of late.

For large parts of the game it was difficult imagine we are two divisions above Altrincham.

Big George played at centre half and, for once, faced a centre forward who was bigger and slower than him...but Ranking still scored.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Non-league Robins in Town today on 17:27 - Dec 6 with 956 viewsbwildered

U's did there best to lose this one, twice behind at the start of both halfs, and where almost put out when committing to many players forward and a smart save by Jones, after lack defending by Briggs, kept us in it . Harriot rifles in with a tremendous finish into top corner deep in extra time with no way back .
Both goals where due to not clearing the ball properly after defending the first ball . Not sure playing Gilbey in the hole in front of Lapsie worked ( even though he scored and should have had another ) . Overall too Nantes stray passes , when retention may have been the answer .
The Robins did not deserve that cruel finish and full credit to there performance overall .
Verdict still out on Wayne Brown , two winnable games might not tell but with subs right (but five mins earlier would have been better), might just be a lucky manager, see what awaits when three points are required next Sat .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Non-league Robins in Town today on 20:29 - Dec 6 with 902 viewsnoah4x4

Kit Symonds and Chris Coleman in the prawn sandwich area.

Symonds was sacked by Fulham on 8th November

Coleman might be bored with Wales?
Too much watching, too few games?
Non-league Robins in Town today on 20:32 - Dec 6 with 898 viewsnoah4x4

Non-league Robins in Town today on 17:27 - Dec 6 by bwildered

U's did there best to lose this one, twice behind at the start of both halfs, and where almost put out when committing to many players forward and a smart save by Jones, after lack defending by Briggs, kept us in it . Harriot rifles in with a tremendous finish into top corner deep in extra time with no way back .
Both goals where due to not clearing the ball properly after defending the first ball . Not sure playing Gilbey in the hole in front of Lapsie worked ( even though he scored and should have had another ) . Overall too Nantes stray passes , when retention may have been the answer .
The Robins did not deserve that cruel finish and full credit to there performance overall .
Verdict still out on Wayne Brown , two winnable games might not tell but with subs right (but five mins earlier would have been better), might just be a lucky manager, see what awaits when three points are required next Sat .

Elokobi was shocking again. Two yards off the pace and often beaten in the air and on the deck. At fault (initially) for both goals. Frankie Kent is the much better footballer despite his youth.
Login to get fewer ads

Non-league Robins in Town today on 20:37 - Dec 6 with 896 viewsLeadbelly

Non-league Robins in Town today on 20:29 - Dec 6 by noah4x4

Kit Symonds and Chris Coleman in the prawn sandwich area.

Symonds was sacked by Fulham on 8th November

Coleman might be bored with Wales?
Too much watching, too few games?

Do we or Altrincham have any young Wales players? If not perhaps Cowling has approached old boy Symonds...or they were lost.

Non-league Robins in Town today on 22:44 - Dec 6 with 861 viewsFruitbat

I seem to remember hearng somwhere that Symons was very close to getting the job whem Lamb*rt got it.

Alternatively, they may both have been at Palace with Lee Sinnott?
Non-league Robins in Town today on 23:08 - Dec 6 with 848 viewsnoah4x4

Non-league Robins in Town today on 20:37 - Dec 6 by Leadbelly

Do we or Altrincham have any young Wales players? If not perhaps Cowling has approached old boy Symonds...or they were lost.

No Welsh players.

They have also not featured on TV/MOD. So unless "lost" they must be after Lionel Ritchie tickets. But would be a good managerial combination having worked together at Fulham and Wales. Symonds was briefly U's caretaker until Lambert arrived.
Non-league Robins in Town today on 23:40 - Dec 6 with 830 viewsmfb_cufc

When Symonds was caretaker manager, I seem to remember we scored and conceded loads of goals, a bit like now. Hardly the person to sort out our defensive problems.

mfb

Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 13:25 - Dec 7 with 760 viewsnoah4x4

Non-league Robins in Town today on 23:40 - Dec 6 by mfb_cufc

When Symonds was caretaker manager, I seem to remember we scored and conceded loads of goals, a bit like now. Hardly the person to sort out our defensive problems.

I think you are being a bit unfair MFB_CUFC.

Kit Symons was only in caretaker charge at the U's for 17 days.

Geraint Williams was sacked on 22nd September 2008; six games into the league season, the U’s having won one and drawn two after relegation to FLD1; so a pretty familiar story; albeit now at WHCS.

Hence, Symons first game in caretaker charge was a 4-3 away victory over Tranmere Rovers. The U’s then lost 1-0 at home to Leicester City; then lost 1-0 away to Bristol Rovers. He then enjoyed a 1-0 JPT victory at Gillingham.

Lambert took over on 9th October and his first match was a 4- 3 defeat on 11th October away at Cheltenham. Symons promptly left as Lambert brought in his own people.

Symons record at Crystal Palace (also as caretaker) was P9, W3, D3, L3

Symons more recent record at Fulham P64, W22, D17, L25 Win rate 34.38%
Hence; 83 points from 64 = 1.3 per game or 60 over a full season.
Surely that would keep most of us happy; just about mid table?

Seems too much of a coincidence that he and Chris Coleman were both at WHCS. Admittedly, they worked together for a while in the Wales set-up, but Symonds departed to be caretaker and then full time at Fulham. Symons was only sacked by Fulham on 8th November.

[Post edited 7 Dec 2015 13:49]
Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 08:53 - Dec 8 with 684 viewsAFCMorant

Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 13:25 - Dec 7 by noah4x4

I think you are being a bit unfair MFB_CUFC.

Kit Symons was only in caretaker charge at the U's for 17 days.

Geraint Williams was sacked on 22nd September 2008; six games into the league season, the U’s having won one and drawn two after relegation to FLD1; so a pretty familiar story; albeit now at WHCS.

Hence, Symons first game in caretaker charge was a 4-3 away victory over Tranmere Rovers. The U’s then lost 1-0 at home to Leicester City; then lost 1-0 away to Bristol Rovers. He then enjoyed a 1-0 JPT victory at Gillingham.

Lambert took over on 9th October and his first match was a 4- 3 defeat on 11th October away at Cheltenham. Symons promptly left as Lambert brought in his own people.

Symons record at Crystal Palace (also as caretaker) was P9, W3, D3, L3

Symons more recent record at Fulham P64, W22, D17, L25 Win rate 34.38%
Hence; 83 points from 64 = 1.3 per game or 60 over a full season.
Surely that would keep most of us happy; just about mid table?

Seems too much of a coincidence that he and Chris Coleman were both at WHCS. Admittedly, they worked together for a while in the Wales set-up, but Symonds departed to be caretaker and then full time at Fulham. Symons was only sacked by Fulham on 8th November.

[Post edited 7 Dec 2015 13:49]

Lambert might have been appointed but Symons was in charge and on the touch line at Cheltenham as I remember when we scored whoever it was ran over and jumped into Symons' arms.
Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 12:49 - Dec 8 with 667 viewsnoah4x4

Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 08:53 - Dec 8 by AFCMorant

Lambert might have been appointed but Symons was in charge and on the touch line at Cheltenham as I remember when we scored whoever it was ran over and jumped into Symons' arms.

That makes sense as some statistics do assume an extra game under Symon's despite Lambert's appointment. I had been unable to identify what game that was. Even so, it is still too few to judge anybody, especially after such a poor start under Williams.

But what strikes me is the description of a manager showing emotion in the Technical Area! Blimey, Symons must be therefore be the man! I don't subscribe to such need, as a team should know the plan before kick off; but I know that many (notably older) fans do want a manager that shows more passion and emotion.
Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 13:22 - Dec 8 with 659 viewsTheOldOakTree

Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 12:49 - Dec 8 by noah4x4

That makes sense as some statistics do assume an extra game under Symon's despite Lambert's appointment. I had been unable to identify what game that was. Even so, it is still too few to judge anybody, especially after such a poor start under Williams.

But what strikes me is the description of a manager showing emotion in the Technical Area! Blimey, Symons must be therefore be the man! I don't subscribe to such need, as a team should know the plan before kick off; but I know that many (notably older) fans do want a manager that shows more passion and emotion.

Nobody wants a headless chicken, Holloway or Cotteril style, nutter, but someone who looks like they give a shit would be a big improvement.

Like many others, I took up the clubs offer of £30 roast dinner and a seat near the half-way line on Sunday, and I kept an eye on Brown. I was impressed that he looked to be taking in every detail and occasionally pass on some instructions. For example when we looked like rabbits in the headlights, just after going behind for the second time, he passes out instructions to get the ball out quick from the back and to up the tempo. I'm not saying he's the answer, but he's come through the Parky school, so?

I would agree with you Noah that everyone should be prepared before taking to the pitch, but there are times when certain instruction are required and if players who are struggling look to the bench and see someone with their arms folded then that's not good. Churchill never flew Spitfires, but he inspired those that did.

I remember watching Donkey Adams managing the Wyscum and they were coming up second best as usual. He just stood there arms folded leaning against the dugout and I thought you're going nowhere in management. I think that was the legendry Jermaine Brown game? When we knocked them out of, I think, the paint pot cup, and Bobby Bowry took a bad neck injury that delayed a freezing cold extra time even further.
Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 18:41 - Dec 8 with 639 viewspwrightsknees

Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 12:49 - Dec 8 by noah4x4

I don't remember what sort of manager we (notably older) fans are likely to prefer. From memory, I think it is one who wins more than he loses, irrespective of his behaviour in the technical area..
Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 21:17 - Dec 8 with 621 viewsLeadbelly

Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 13:22 - Dec 8 by TheOldOakTree

Nobody wants a headless chicken, Holloway or Cotteril style, nutter, but someone who looks like they give a shit would be a big improvement.

Like many others, I took up the clubs offer of £30 roast dinner and a seat near the half-way line on Sunday, and I kept an eye on Brown. I was impressed that he looked to be taking in every detail and occasionally pass on some instructions. For example when we looked like rabbits in the headlights, just after going behind for the second time, he passes out instructions to get the ball out quick from the back and to up the tempo. I'm not saying he's the answer, but he's come through the Parky school, so?

I would agree with you Noah that everyone should be prepared before taking to the pitch, but there are times when certain instruction are required and if players who are struggling look to the bench and see someone with their arms folded then that's not good. Churchill never flew Spitfires, but he inspired those that did.

I remember watching Donkey Adams managing the Wyscum and they were coming up second best as usual. He just stood there arms folded leaning against the dugout and I thought you're going nowhere in management. I think that was the legendry Jermaine Brown game? When we knocked them out of, I think, the paint pot cup, and Bobby Bowry took a bad neck injury that delayed a freezing cold extra time even further.

I remember that game. Eight minutes of injury time due to BB's head injury...or was his head just frozen to the pitch. I travelled straight from work so was wearing a suit and appropriately non thermal leather shoes. Lucky to keep all my toes.

Went home with friends and think that was the night we hit a kamikaze badger on the M40. Bewildered will no doubt confirm.

Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 22:25 - Dec 8 with 612 viewsdurham_exile

Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 08:53 - Dec 8 by AFCMorant

AFC Morant I went to theCheltenham game which we lost 4-3 and can't remember either Woody or Johnny Jackson running to the Manager but I can remember Perkinsgoingto the manager when we won 2-1 at Stockport in front of over 6,000

Lambert was in charge at Edgeley Park, Symons at Cheltenham.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 23:33 - Dec 8 with 597 viewswessex_exile

Non-league Robins in Town today (n/t) on 22:25 - Dec 8 by durham_exile

AFC Morant I went to theCheltenham game which we lost 4-3 and can't remember either Woody or Johnny Jackson running to the Manager but I can remember Perkinsgoingto the manager when we won 2-1 at Stockport in front of over 6,000

Lambert was in charge at Edgeley Park, Symons at Cheltenham.

Up the U's

I was at the Cheltenham game too, and my recollection was that as we capitulated, surrendering a 3-1(?) lead, Symons looked like he couldn't give a shit and tried nothing to prevent it. That being said, Lambert was indeed already appointed, and Symons knew it was likely his last involvement with Col U (at that time), so maybe he can be forgiven that...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Non-league Robins in Town today on 23:59 - Dec 8 with 599 viewsmfb_cufc

Five games as caretaker manager might not be a true indication of how Symons sets his team up, but the first eighteen games in charge of Fulham this season will. In those games Fulham are the top scorers in the Championship, and only Rotherham have conceded more. As I said not a manager that makes defending his main priority.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024