Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS 11:53 - Jan 28 with 2189 viewsdurham_exile

After the magnificent victory at Salford last Saturday and definitely our best performance of the season since Barrow away the U’s led by the indefatigable WB, JD and DH must do it all over again at home to Swindon Town on Saturday.

Now the JSCS has been far from a fortress since its inception, but the fact that we are seeking our first back-to-back league wins this season speaks volumes about our one constant that of our inconsistency. It is all about reaching 50 points as quickly as possible and then pushing on to see what else we can achieve. 21 games, 63 points at stake and garnering 50 of those would ensure a top seven finish. Realistically unachievable, but not impossible. Let’s see what the team can manage.

Table — Selected positions:

6 Swindon 25 41
7 Mansfield 25 41

22 COL U 25 25
23 Scunny 27 19
24 Oldham 25 18

The U’s have done quite a bit of transfer business this window with seven players arriving: Dallison, Coxe (made permanent), Kenlock, Huws, Edwards, Andrews and Akinde.

Now WB said this week that we would be signing a quality player (now don’t spoil it with sarcasm Ed.) Apparently there may be more business to be done. Just as long as it involves incoming rather than outgoing players I don’t mind.

Last Saturday we played solidly at the back, got the ball forward quickly, Freddie Sears was on fire, and everyone knew their role and stuck to the task. If only we had performed like that earlier in the season, we would now be pushing for promotion instead of looking over our shoulder.

I do hope that Cole Skuse has no long-lasting problem with his eye injury because he looked accomplished once again and was very unlucky not to score in the third minute with a superb long-range shot.

Equally Corie Andrews picked up an injury as he scored that memorable third goal.
Club Captain Tommy Smith has joined up with his New Zealand team mates in Abu Dhabi and will miss the next two games. His form of late has been patchy but we have strength in depth within the centre half positions and so no great harm done.

So, by my reckoning 28 players in the squad and 18 selectable at any one time.

Interim Head Coach Wayne Brown
Asst Coach Joe Dunne
Asst Coach Dave Huzzey
Physio Vicky Athey

Squad with their Numbers:
29 Shamal George
1 Dean Gerken
44 Ted Collins

2 MWH
4 Luke Chambers
5 Tommy Smith
15 Tom Dallison
18 Tom Eastman
22 Junior Tchamadeu
27 Cameron Coxe
40 Frankie Terry
17 Myles Kenlock
3 Ryan Clampin

6 Brendan Wiredu
7 Luke Hannant
8 Cole Skuse
21 Gene Kennedy
14 Noah Chilvers
10 Alan Judge
28 Emyr Huws
37 Chay Cooper

12 Owura Edwards
9 Frank Nouble
11 Freddie Sears
16 Corie Andrews
19 Armando Dobra
34 Samson Tovide
24 John Akinde

I would select the following 20 players as the best fit to get us up the league this season:

George, Gerken, MWH, Chambers, Dallison, Eastman, Tchamadeu, Kenlock, Clampin, Coxe, Wiredu, Hannant, Skuse, Chilvers, Judge, Huws, Edwards, Sears, Andrews, Akinde

The signing of 6ft 2ins John Akinde on a 2.5year deal from Gillingham at the age of 32 suggests that he is a WB player and will offer a new dimension, height in the box to support the eager running of Freddie Sears. But will WB be bold enough to play two strikers. I do hope so because at this level, there are plenty of opportunities via crosses, balls played through and set plays. In any event Akinde must play in the Centre Forward position.

Sadly, his arrival means that we will not pursue other strikers. I really do feel however that it is time to call time on Big Frank’s Colchester career. Nothing puts that into perspective more than his feeble attempt to convert a late chance towards the end of the game last week. The faithful all willed him on and gave him tremendous support, but I am afraid that he has lost his sparkle, confidence and ability to put the ball in the back of the net. I know that he hasn’t played very much of late but earlier in the season he was played on a regular basis. His best position is on the wide left, but we have pacier, quicker and more mobile players in those positions. What I am saying is that we do not have any room in this 28-man squad for passengers. Perhaps harsh but true.

Another player who has been a stalwart for the club is Tom Eastman. Mr reliable at the heart of the defence but tellingly he was left in Colchester last week and I wonder whether the club have fallen out of love with Tom. I hope not but we will have to wait and see.

Regarding a match day 18 WB has had the last week to work with the players especially the new recruits and so will know who is in the frame for tomorrow’s game.

I would go with the following XI plus the additional 7 substitutes against Swindon
Town.

George

MWH Chambers Dallison Kenlock

Skuse Chilvers

Wiredu Judge

Sears Akinde

Subs:
Gerken, Tchamadeu, Huws, Andrews, Edwards, Hannant, Eastman

If Skuse is not fit, then Huws would come into the team and Tovide would join the bench.

21 games to garner initially 25 points and then a further 25 if all goes to plan.

Remaining Fixtures:
Swindon H
Rochdale H
Orient A
Mansfield A
Carlisle H
Northampton A
Hartlepool H
Oldham H
Orient H
PV H
Scunny A
Bristol Rovers A
FGR H
Tranmere H
Harrogate A
Stevenage H
Exeter A
Bradford H
Newport A
Walsall H
Hartlepool A

Weather tomorrow in Colchester is scheduled for a balmy 13 degrees Celsius and mostly cloudy. No rain.

Let us hope that the combination of the improved performance, the new signings and the decent weather boosts the attendance at the JSCS to push the 3,500 mark.

Ben Garner heads a Swindon side who blow hot and cold. They are handily placed for the play offs and will offer a stern test but our new found confidence will prevail. I almost forgot the score prediction. 3-0 Colchester (again) with a debut goal for Big John and Freddie Sears to weigh in with his usual goal that was deserved last week but didn’t come and Brendan Wiredu to power in a shot from the edge of the box.

Pity we didn’t sign MB from Dundee, but you can’t have everything when you are 90th in the league but hopefully not for too much longer.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 14:03 - Jan 28 with 1212 viewsMoor_Pinot

Splendid Durham, thank you, stirring and tricky stuff. So many new ones for management to decide on and so little time to get the mix right. We may have to lose some games to reach an equilibrium which can secure safety but I do hope it doesn't take too long! As you say Swindon are unpredictable so tomorrow is a dangerous one for us and we're hopeless at Cuckoo Farm, just three wins. So, I am cautious about tomorrow but at least last week gave them all a lift and may have raised confidence a bit. As an aside, I totally agree about Frank, reluctantly, I posted long ago that he wasn't good enough for the level now but am baffled by the situation with Eastman.

Moor Pinot

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 15:09 - Jan 28 with 1191 viewsburnsieespana

Durham, great summary as usual. I suspect MWH won't play as clearly WB sees a lot in Tchamadeu.
Wouldn't be a surprise to me if MWH is loaned out and maybe one or two others
Think a shame we didn't start the season with Frank in his most effective position
Think Huws and Kenlock will turn out to be effective signings.
With ITFC recalling Simpson, who had scored 11 goals for Swindon we really need to be winning this sort of game and if results go our way we could start moving upwards.
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 15:57 - Jan 28 with 1169 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 15:09 - Jan 28 by burnsieespana

Durham, great summary as usual. I suspect MWH won't play as clearly WB sees a lot in Tchamadeu.
Wouldn't be a surprise to me if MWH is loaned out and maybe one or two others
Think a shame we didn't start the season with Frank in his most effective position
Think Huws and Kenlock will turn out to be effective signings.
With ITFC recalling Simpson, who had scored 11 goals for Swindon we really need to be winning this sort of game and if results go our way we could start moving upwards.

burnsie - I reckon you are right about Tchamadeu. I suppose we are fortunate to have good cover at full back on both sides. Don't get me wrong Junior is emerging as a good player, I just think MWH is better going forward.

Wages are an issue this season and so with at least 28 on the payroll for the first team, offloading some more wouldn't go amiss.

Swindon will miss their loanee, perhaps Ipswich are doing their best to help their North Essex cousins!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:11 - Jan 28 with 1165 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 14:03 - Jan 28 by Moor_Pinot

Splendid Durham, thank you, stirring and tricky stuff. So many new ones for management to decide on and so little time to get the mix right. We may have to lose some games to reach an equilibrium which can secure safety but I do hope it doesn't take too long! As you say Swindon are unpredictable so tomorrow is a dangerous one for us and we're hopeless at Cuckoo Farm, just three wins. So, I am cautious about tomorrow but at least last week gave them all a lift and may have raised confidence a bit. As an aside, I totally agree about Frank, reluctantly, I posted long ago that he wasn't good enough for the level now but am baffled by the situation with Eastman.

The situation with Eastman is an enigma. I have always liked him then we tried different formations - 3, 4 or 5 at the back and sometimes he was in and sometimes not.

He has been consistently good, shades of Pat "Rio" Baldwin but earlier this season he went through a sticky patch then he came on and won the game at Barrow and I thought he was back to his best. WB has nailed his colours to the mast and along with TE, MWH was also overlooked but I am hoping that this week all the players have had a fair crack of the whip so to speak.

Over the next three or four games we will get an indication as to WB's preferred 18 and more so his starting XI. Also the three coaches need to get some indication from RC as to how long the interim phase will be and whether they will see out all 21 games or just 10-12.

I am still in favour of a permanent manager - we have had 15 managers in the past 11 years and this is another reason why the team continues to struggle.

Anyway I remain optimistic and look for three more valuable points tomorrow.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:56 - Jan 28 with 1148 viewsbwildered

Touch of desperation within the club . Signing guys for deals which are not convincing first teamers regulars and a guy upfront on a 2.5 year deal. Not good signs for the academy mergers, although they might need a years gap required to establish first team credentials.
No quality from the wide positions to service the frontmen which is a worry has they have it seems abandoned the three raider men because of lack of goals and assists .
Wonder when was the tipping point, last days of HM era or the start of WB residency ? Let’s not forget WB himself had to be replaced has a interim with HM and Tidsdale having also being unconvincing.
Let’s hope Joe Dunne is the difference this time round.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 17:03]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:10 - Jan 28 with 1137 viewsburnsieespana

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:56 - Jan 28 by bwildered

Touch of desperation within the club . Signing guys for deals which are not convincing first teamers regulars and a guy upfront on a 2.5 year deal. Not good signs for the academy mergers, although they might need a years gap required to establish first team credentials.
No quality from the wide positions to service the frontmen which is a worry has they have it seems abandoned the three raider men because of lack of goals and assists .
Wonder when was the tipping point, last days of HM era or the start of WB residency ? Let’s not forget WB himself had to be replaced has a interim with HM and Tidsdale having also being unconvincing.
Let’s hope Joe Dunne is the difference this time round.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2022 17:03]

Had no WB asked JD to help him the last time but within a handful of days Tis came in board?
Some strange decisions and I do worry we have gone to far the other way with the age of a lot of our signings
What we are short of is players in the ideal age range, ie 24--28.
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 10:13 - Jan 29 with 1032 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 17:10 - Jan 28 by burnsieespana

Had no WB asked JD to help him the last time but within a handful of days Tis came in board?
Some strange decisions and I do worry we have gone to far the other way with the age of a lot of our signings
What we are short of is players in the ideal age range, ie 24--28.

The good news is that both Cole Skuse and Corie Andrews should see some game time today.

Skuse received an eye injury against Salford which I trust was purely accidental because such injuries are very serious.
Andrews sustained a back injury.

Really good news if both can play today.

Fortunately the weather in Colchester is nowhere near the storm conditions that we have in the NE of England.

Up the U"s

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 13:57 - Jan 29 with 977 viewsMoor_Pinot

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 10:13 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

The good news is that both Cole Skuse and Corie Andrews should see some game time today.

Skuse received an eye injury against Salford which I trust was purely accidental because such injuries are very serious.
Andrews sustained a back injury.

Really good news if both can play today.

Fortunately the weather in Colchester is nowhere near the storm conditions that we have in the NE of England.

Up the U"s

Lie low Durham, it's what we do when the wind blows off the sea over the Vendée! Let the U's storm be positive!!

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 14:55 - Jan 29 with 955 viewsMoor_Pinot

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 13:57 - Jan 29 by Moor_Pinot

Lie low Durham, it's what we do when the wind blows off the sea over the Vendée! Let the U's storm be positive!!

Slightly strange team, only one striker and no Chilvers.

Moor Pinot

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 15:29 - Jan 29 with 938 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 14:55 - Jan 29 by Moor_Pinot

Starting XI unchanged Pinault.

Seems we will be utilising the single striker again.

Given how dangerous Swindon can be I would have preferred to take the game to them.

30 mins 0-0

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 15:36 - Jan 29 with 931 viewsLeadbelly

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 14:55 - Jan 29 by Moor_Pinot

David Gregory on BBC Essex said Chilvers was unavailable due to a thigh injury. Definitely injured rather than being protected due to possible transfer.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 15:41 - Jan 29 with 930 viewsMoor_Pinot

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 15:36 - Jan 29 by Leadbelly

David Gregory on BBC Essex said Chilvers was unavailable due to a thigh injury. Definitely injured rather than being protected due to possible transfer.

Thank you, I had expected him to depart to league one before long. Perhaps we'll try and have two forwards second half as Swindon look more dangerous than us.

Moor Pinot

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 15:53 - Jan 29 with 912 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 15:41 - Jan 29 by Moor_Pinot

Thank you, I had expected him to depart to league one before long. Perhaps we'll try and have two forwards second half as Swindon look more dangerous than us.

It seems that WB is trying to counter attack as we did successfully at Salford.

Problem is at home we should be on the offensive from the outset rather than sitting back.

Come on big second half needed.

Is Big John going to get some minutes or Corie Andrews.

Up the U's

Storm is abating slightly at home.

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 15:59 - Jan 29 with 904 viewsnoah4x4

0-0 HT. Lucky to still be in it as Swindon have missed two they should have buried.

U’s not looking remotely as good as last week, but we have Skuseless playing rather than the injured Chilvers that brought the Salford performance to life. Swindon much quicker and dominant in midfield. But at least we are not defending too deep and are moving the ball forward quickly.
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:23 - Jan 29 with 892 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 15:59 - Jan 29 by noah4x4

0-0 HT. Lucky to still be in it as Swindon have missed two they should have buried.

U’s not looking remotely as good as last week, but we have Skuseless playing rather than the injured Chilvers that brought the Salford performance to life. Swindon much quicker and dominant in midfield. But at least we are not defending too deep and are moving the ball forward quickly.

Noah "skuseless" a bit harsh!!

Where is big John Akinde and Corie Andrews

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:30 - Jan 29 with 890 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:23 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

Noah "skuseless" a bit harsh!!

Where is big John Akinde and Corie Andrews

Come on the U's

Oh dear lots to do now.

Why oh why do we not learn.

Play two strikers

Come on

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:32 - Jan 29 with 886 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:30 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

Oh dear lots to do now.

Why oh why do we not learn.

Play two strikers

Come on

How has George been sent off

What is going on

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:36 - Jan 29 with 876 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:32 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

How has George been sent off

What is going on

Judge sacrificed for Collins.

George now misses three games FFS

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:46 - Jan 29 with 872 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:36 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

Judge sacrificed for Collins.

George now misses three games FFS

Come on the U's

Now nine men
Luke Chambers sent off

This is a disgrace.

Come on the nine men

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:48 - Jan 29 with 868 viewsgerry_us

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:46 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

Now nine men
Luke Chambers sent off

This is a disgrace.

Come on the nine men

We wanted U's to fight for the future...but not like this!
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:48 - Jan 29 with 865 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:46 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

Now nine men
Luke Chambers sent off

This is a disgrace.

Come on the nine men

George apparently kicked a player who was on the ground.

Unbelievable

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:51 - Jan 29 with 860 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:48 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

George apparently kicked a player who was on the ground.

Unbelievable

1-1 come on
Huws

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:54 - Jan 29 with 856 viewsgerry_us

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:51 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

1-1 come on
Huws

Unbelievable
Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:55 - Jan 29 with 856 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:51 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

1-1 come on
Huws

Nine men we only need nine men.

But what a fiasco.

Come on

Durham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:57 - Jan 29 with 851 viewsdurham_exile

Swindon to be seen off by resurgent Super U's at the JSCS on 16:55 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

Nine men we only need nine men.

But what a fiasco.

Come on

An inquest is surely required.

But an invaluable point

Well done.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024