Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening 11:18 - Sep 29 with 1053 viewsdurham_exile

Now what a transformation for TH and his charges who only a month ago were pilloried by elements of the faithful and even I was calling for TH's head.

An inspired signing in Marvin Sordell and TH realising the true worth of George Moncur has seen a meteoric rise in fortunes and league positions, so much so that people are now looking at possible promotion.

Now prior to the Blackpool game I was suggesting that a top six finish was on the cards for the U's. I think that in a very open league, one of the two automatic places must now be in our grasp. Providing injuries are kind and the impetus can be maintained.

Tonight sees Parky's warriors taking to the WHCS turf. It will be 10 year next May since that day in Huish Park Yeovil when Parky's minnows achieved the most incredible result to send the U's up to the promised land for the first time in their history. Almost 1600 of the faithful were present to see history made and it was brilliant but we can do it again!

The team that day was:

Dean Gerken

John White Liam Chilvers Pat (Rio) Baldwin Karl Duguid

Greg Halford Neil Danns Kevin Watson

Scotty too hotty Vernon Chris Iwelumo Jamal Campbell-Ryce

Subs:

Mark Cousins Kem Izzet Garry Richards Tony Thorpe Billy Clarke

TH has assembled a team with genuine ambition and more importantly for the forwards, pace.

Comparisons in the playing formation and even the players can be made. I will leave it up to other commentators to consider like for like, but it is in the midfield (Moncur and Garvan) where we have skill, industry and commitment, which replicates what Parky assembled 10 years ago.

But where our modern day heroes are surely better is in the pacy front line where Harriott Sordell and Massey must be the best in the Division.

Today we have:

Jones

Vincent-Young Eastman Elokobi Briggs

Moncur Garvan Edwards

Harriott Sordell Massey

Subs:

Parish Olufemi Kent Bonne Gilbey Sembie-Ferris Porter

plus Lapslie Szmodics Walker (albeit injured) Brindley Ambrose Wright and Wynter

It is up to TH to show Parky tonight that despite his signing of Andy Cole's son Devante we have made a better signing in Marvin Sordell and that our midfield is more impressive now.

We must however guard against any form of complacency, no team has ever won a league in September, but the green shoots of growth are present and they will need careful nurturing over winter to burst forth in the Spring.

In 2006 Parky certainly approached the final 6 games professionally and the U's avoided any banana skins.

The final six games this season will be Blackpool A, Peterbore H, Crewe A Burton H Barnsley A and Rochdale H; an eclectic mix for sure, but what price promotion on Sunday 8 May 2016 at the WHCS.

Ok so only 9 games played so far and it is very early days but continued points on the board and consistency of results will stand us in good stead for the challenges to come.

The Bantams are in Town tonight and perhaps a 5,000 plus crowd for a Tuesday night game will witness a U's win to set up the chance of a top six place after the Shakers come to town on Saturday.

Exciting times for the Super U's.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Promotion is the ultimate and feasible aim for the team

[Post edited 29 Sep 2015 11:19]

Durham_exile

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 12:23 - Sep 29 with 1031 viewsnoah4x4

Everybody seems to convieniently forget that it took Parky 187 games to achieve promotion. By contrast, Tony Humes has so far only been in charge for a mere 95 (e.g. half as long). Humes is also constrained by 'Financial Fair Play'. So what did happen in the Parkinson Era? Let us compare like with like.......

We started season 2004-5 top of the league on GD after game one after Parky had been in charge for a similar 96 league games!

But by 9th October 2004 we had slipped to 7th place having won 6 from 14. Then by the season's end; now after 141 games under Parky; we had dropped to our more typical 15th place after a six match sequence of DDDDDW. No doubt people were moaning back then about "too many draws" and "too negative"; whilst accepting that 15th was about all that we minnows could ever expect! The following season we witnessed an historic promotion; and since then some fans have worn rose tinted (blue & white) glasses about our right to a Championship berth; or even Division One survival.

This is an interesting table; it's the ALL time Historic Division One table 1958 to date. http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/all-time-table

Exactly 100 teams have featured in Division One (or its equivalent) since 1958 and the U's are ranked 12th based on the number of games played in this Division (P1343). Of course, some teams have left the Division upwards; but others left downwards (and a staggering number dropped out of the FL altogether; as we briefly did). But this does suggests that this is our correct level; having spent more time in this division than most people think. But getting out of this Division (upwards) is very tough as we have only achieved it once in over 50 years.

Humes has been in charge for only 95 games and he now has us up to tenth, three points off the play off zone; whilst unbeaten in nine at home and in three away; with a squad that (IMHO) looks better than what Parky assembled. So comparing like for like (after circa 100 games); he doing better than Parky. I have been saying this for months and advocating patience; so now that he has strung together some decent results; let's please give him a break.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2015 12:27]
Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 15:00 - Sep 29 with 1002 viewspwrightsknees

I’m back again. I can hear your groans already. A blue screen of death on my laptop, a protracted and ultimately unsuccessful attempt at repair resulting in a new laptop which then had to be set up, led to my period of exile. But I have been following this board on Mrs PWK’s ipad.

Like most of us, I was thoroughly miserable after the Fleetwood thrashing. Also, like many, I was really doubting if TH was the right man for the job.

But now I’m filled with cautious (very cautious) optimism. What a difference the acquisition of Jones, Garvan, Sordell and Harriott has made! Or was it RC’s words of support? Or both?

There is always the temptation to look back on our promotion season, particularly today with Parky’s return to town. Durham has reminded us of those heady days. Was it really that long ago?

Many of us on this board like our statistics, so here’s a comparison with the promotion year. After 9 league games:
2005/6: Won 3, Drawn 3, Lost 3, For 9, Against 10 (-1), Points 12. League position 13.
2015/6: Won 3, Drawn 4, Lost 2, For 15, Against 17 (-2), Points 13, League position 10.

But even when Parky’s teams weren’t doing so well, I recall an air of optimism, and with Peter Heard and Marie Partner running things, there was a “feel good” factor.
I’ve got that optimism back, and am feeling good about things. But it can all change very quickly. So, tonight, let’s show Parky that we are regaining what he started, then lost for a few seasons. And despite the unfortunate circumstances of his departure, I hope that U’s fans are gracious enough to give him a special cheer after what he did for us.

By the way, the 10th league game of the 2005/6 season was a 1-1 home draw with Huddersfield Town. Let’s hope we do better than that against The Bantams tonight.

Up The U’s!
Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 15:21 - Sep 29 with 997 viewspwrightsknees

Oh Dear!. Noah, I'm very sorry, but I wasn't getting your posts. When I checked, I saw that your were on my "ignore" list. I (or my daughter) must have accidently clicked on a wrong button when setting up my new laptop.

As a consequence, I hadn't seen your excellent post.

Of course, the statistics you have quoted are far more thorough than mine. But what both sets say, is that TH is doing a good job.

One other thing. The average home league gate for the first four matches of 2005/6 was 2,783. This season the first four league matches at WHCS have attracted an average of 3,767.
Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 15:58 - Sep 29 with 992 viewsnoah4x4

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 15:21 - Sep 29 by pwrightsknees

Oh Dear!. Noah, I'm very sorry, but I wasn't getting your posts. When I checked, I saw that your were on my "ignore" list. I (or my daughter) must have accidently clicked on a wrong button when setting up my new laptop.

As a consequence, I hadn't seen your excellent post.

Of course, the statistics you have quoted are far more thorough than mine. But what both sets say, is that TH is doing a good job.

One other thing. The average home league gate for the first four matches of 2005/6 was 2,783. This season the first four league matches at WHCS have attracted an average of 3,767.

Am I married to your daughter? Mrs Noah has me on her ignore list.
Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 16:10 - Sep 29 with 988 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 12:23 - Sep 29 by noah4x4

Everybody seems to convieniently forget that it took Parky 187 games to achieve promotion. By contrast, Tony Humes has so far only been in charge for a mere 95 (e.g. half as long). Humes is also constrained by 'Financial Fair Play'. So what did happen in the Parkinson Era? Let us compare like with like.......

We started season 2004-5 top of the league on GD after game one after Parky had been in charge for a similar 96 league games!

But by 9th October 2004 we had slipped to 7th place having won 6 from 14. Then by the season's end; now after 141 games under Parky; we had dropped to our more typical 15th place after a six match sequence of DDDDDW. No doubt people were moaning back then about "too many draws" and "too negative"; whilst accepting that 15th was about all that we minnows could ever expect! The following season we witnessed an historic promotion; and since then some fans have worn rose tinted (blue & white) glasses about our right to a Championship berth; or even Division One survival.

This is an interesting table; it's the ALL time Historic Division One table 1958 to date. http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/all-time-table

Exactly 100 teams have featured in Division One (or its equivalent) since 1958 and the U's are ranked 12th based on the number of games played in this Division (P1343). Of course, some teams have left the Division upwards; but others left downwards (and a staggering number dropped out of the FL altogether; as we briefly did). But this does suggests that this is our correct level; having spent more time in this division than most people think. But getting out of this Division (upwards) is very tough as we have only achieved it once in over 50 years.

Humes has been in charge for only 95 games and he now has us up to tenth, three points off the play off zone; whilst unbeaten in nine at home and in three away; with a squad that (IMHO) looks better than what Parky assembled. So comparing like for like (after circa 100 games); he doing better than Parky. I have been saying this for months and advocating patience; so now that he has strung together some decent results; let's please give him a break.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2015 12:27]

Unlike you to be factually incorrect Noah but I'm pretty sure Humes has been in charge for 50 league games and a handful of cup games. A long way short of 95 that's for sure.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 18:02 - Sep 29 with 963 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 16:10 - Sep 29 by RSCOSWORTH

Unlike you to be factually incorrect Noah but I'm pretty sure Humes has been in charge for 50 league games and a handful of cup games. A long way short of 95 that's for sure.

TH has been in charge for 56 games (19 wins 14 draws and 23 defeats with a win % of 33.93%).

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 19:56 - Sep 29 with 944 viewswessex_exile

Crap - had Callum Harriot to score first in the U'sual, then changed it to Moncur - bollox, would have to be Harriott that puts the U's 1 up :-)

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 19:59 - Sep 29 with 941 viewsBarsidepete

Who is this Harriott and where did he come from? 😋

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Login to get fewer ads

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 20:18 - Sep 29 with 933 viewsBarsidepete

Sordell 2-nil. Oh my.

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 20:45 - Sep 29 with 919 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 19:59 - Sep 29 by Barsidepete

Who is this Harriott and where did he come from? 😋

Pete Callum Harriott on loan from Charlton a 5 ft 6 ins pacy winger

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 20:53 - Sep 29 with 911 viewsBarsidepete

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 20:45 - Sep 29 by durham_exile

Pete Callum Harriott on loan from Charlton a 5 ft 6 ins pacy winger

Up the U's

Listening on U's player, of course, Pete.

This has the makings of something ridiculous.

I now understand why Mr. Cowling decided to stay the course and have a gaffer who understood the youth facet .. I guess Robbie was going all in with faith.

This is dareisay, such a good squad. I can't believe I'm saying that.

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 21:27 - Sep 29 with 899 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 20:53 - Sep 29 by Barsidepete

I now understand why Mr. Cowling decided to stay the course and have a gaffer who understood the youth facet .. I guess Robbie was going all in with faith.

Chris Porter on for George Moncur

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 21:31 - Sep 29 with 894 viewsBarsidepete

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 21:27 - Sep 29 by durham_exile

Chris Porter on for George Moncur

Up the U's

So that makes it more of a 4-4-1-1 now?

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 21:39 - Sep 29 with 878 viewsBarsidepete

Un. Be. Freakin. Believable.

That was such a defensive performance.

What am I worrying about Boxing Day? What pressies were most liked for Christmas?

Up the U's!
[Post edited 29 Sep 2015 21:41]

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 21:55 - Sep 29 with 859 viewsburnsieespana

One point off the play offs with Soughend hard on our heels. Are we going to have a repeat of ten years ago! Getting ahead of myself me thinks but well done TH and the boys.
Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 22:03 - Sep 29 with 848 viewsBarsidepete

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 21:55 - Sep 29 by burnsieespana

One point off the play offs with Soughend hard on our heels. Are we going to have a repeat of ten years ago! Getting ahead of myself me thinks but well done TH and the boys.

The next win could place us in 5th.

I actually predicted a 2-1. Stupid me.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2015 22:04]

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 22:06 - Sep 29 with 845 viewsgerry_us

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 21:55 - Sep 29 by burnsieespana

Another great result and U's are going from strength to strength. Whilst us exiles try to support the team whenever we can what will take to get a decent crowd at WHCS? Just over 3,000 tonight is very depressing when taking into account the current run of results.
Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 22:10 - Sep 29 with 839 viewsBarsidepete

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 22:06 - Sep 29 by gerry_us

Another great result and U's are going from strength to strength. Whilst us exiles try to support the team whenever we can what will take to get a decent crowd at WHCS? Just over 3,000 tonight is very depressing when taking into account the current run of results.

Tuesday's have never been good and been to a number of them. U's fans are in a state of shock.

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 22:34 - Sep 29 with 814 viewspwrightsknees

Not quite at our best tonight. Our first touch let us down too often. But what a spirited performance! And the defence was excellent, too - both collectively and individually.

Most satisfactory!

Up The U's!
Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 22:46 - Sep 29 with 804 viewsnoah4x4

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 16:10 - Sep 29 by RSCOSWORTH

Your are right. I simply took the number 95 from Wikepedia and never thought any more about it. But he has only been in charge since October 2014. Hence its just about the equivalent of one season, and look where we are today. Res Ipsa Locuitor.
Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 08:08 - Sep 30 with 736 viewsLeadbelly

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 20:53 - Sep 29 by Barsidepete

I think the signing of older, experienced players from a higher level (Garvan, Sordell, Marriott and Jones) probably accounts for a large part of our recent turn around rather than Mr Humes's knowledge of our youth system. Only two home grown players in the starting XI last night.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 13:55 - Sep 30 with 695 viewsburnsieespana

Leadbelly I bet very few teams actually play two acadamy players and have a number of others on the bench with the level of first team experience as we do.
It now seems KVY going to be out for 6-8 weeks so Tosin got a good chance to cement his place. The same applies to Kent having got into the side because Elokobi suspended now seems to have had one and a half good games.
Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 15:56 - Sep 30 with 676 viewsLeadbelly

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 13:55 - Sep 30 by burnsieespana

Leadbelly I bet very few teams actually play two acadamy players and have a number of others on the bench with the level of first team experience as we do.
It now seems KVY going to be out for 6-8 weeks so Tosin got a good chance to cement his place. The same applies to Kent having got into the side because Elokobi suspended now seems to have had one and a half good games.

You are probably right and I'm certainly not criticising the academy but the recent improvements have coincided with the arrival of the players mentioned earlier. Long may the academy produce players capable of first team football but too much was asked and expected of young players at the start of this season. Manager and chairman must have seen this or those signings wouldn't have been made.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Bantams to become Chicken feed for the U's at the WHCS this evening on 18:03 - Sep 30 with 649 viewsbwildered

Would be Intresting if there was a stat for the number of passes over hit by the visitors last night . From the word go to the last they continually mis hit passes sideways and forward , strange for a still night .
Pitch was well watered, but same for both teams, so is it down to being able to play under pressure and lacking confidence ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024