Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS 07:53 - Apr 16 with 1341 viewsdurham_exile

KK leads his rejuvenated charges against the Posh today, knowing that a sequence of 5 victories will definitely provide the greatest escape ever. Equally he knows that Colchester must not allow themselves to be drawn into a fifth consecutive relegation dogfight next season.

The players have momentum and belief which are invaluable aids to survival. Confidence is high and everyone is aware of the importance of these final five league matches. The squad is settled and KK has managed to play a consistent team, also a boost to survival. More importantly the period of over 5 hours without conceding a goal is simply magnificent after such a torrid season defensively.

Graham Westley brings his bedraggled Peterbore team to fortress WHCS with dissent in the camp and the criticism from their Chairman ringing in their ears. They are anything but Posh. GW gives you crude, uncompromising football. However as poorly as they have been playing they will not want to lose to the Super U’s and Colchester incredibly must guard against complacency after such a positive run of results.

Table:

Oldham 41 47
Fleetwood 41 46
Shrewsbury 40 46
Blackpool 42 45
Doncaster 41 38
COL U 41 38
Crewe (R) 41 30

With Crewe already down it is still 3 from 6 to join them and Crewe play four of their relegation rivals and still have a big say in who joins them.

Oldham have 5 to play — Fleetwood A, Southend A, Crewe H, Millwall A and Coventry H
Fleetwood have 5 to play — Oldham H, Millwall A, Blackpool H, Walsall A and Crewe H
Shrewsbury have 6 to play — Bradford H, Blades H, Gillingham A, Walsall A, Peterbore H & Swindon A
Blackpool have 4 to play — Rochdale A, Fleetwood A, Wigan H and Peterbore A
Doncaster have 5 to play — Wigan H, Chesterfield A, Coventry H, Crewe A and Burton H
Crewe have 5 to play — Scunny H, COL U H, Oldham A, Doncaster H and Fleetwood A

The Super U’s, after today, have Crewe A, Burton H, Barnsley A and Rochdale H

Forget who everyone is playing, every game is difficult now and it will be those teams who handle the pressure best who will survive. Belief is coursing through the U’s veins and that will help in these final matches but they need our support too starting today at Fortress Weston.

Now KK has a decision to make with Leo Chambers fit again, does he disrupt a back four which has been playing out of their skins. There is a doubt about Gilbey’s fitness and again if that is so why risk him when he will be needed for the other challenges starting Tuesday night. My view is that he will be loathed to change a winning combination for the visit of the Posh. The squad will have every sinew tested over these final matches.

Parish

Edwards Eastman Kent Shorey

Garvan Moncur Lapslie

Massey Porter Lee

Subs:

Barnes Brindley Chambers Ambrose Wright Bonne Akinwande

A large 6,000 plus expectant crowd is likely, no demanded today and they will be looking for a handsome home victory to keep the pressure on those sides around us.

Enjoy the game, keep the faith.

I can hear the famous Elmer Bernstein film score building towards a crescendo.

This is going to be special.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 16 Apr 2016 11:11]

Durham_exile

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 16:30 - Apr 16 with 1277 viewsgerry_us

The fat lady's singing.. very loudly!
Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 16:57 - Apr 16 with 1266 viewsColukev

Game over.

There can be no optimists. I'll be glad to lose Tuesday just to get the confirmation done with and start planning for next season.

Hopefully KK can continue our good form into league 2 with the right signings.

I believe we have the right man in charge
Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 19:06 - Apr 16 with 1223 viewsLeadbelly

F*****g garbage today. We could have lost by a cricket score. Reminiscent of Humes at his worst. 4-1 was generous, with h the Peterbore keeper's second save coming when we were 3-0 down on 75 minutes. Coup de grace at Crewe or at hom to Burton at home next week.

Must win game and only one up front at home? We only have ourselves to blame.

Interesting chat with Peter Heard in the Bricklayers after the game.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 14:11 - Apr 17 with 1127 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 19:06 - Apr 16 by Leadbelly

F*****g garbage today. We could have lost by a cricket score. Reminiscent of Humes at his worst. 4-1 was generous, with h the Peterbore keeper's second save coming when we were 3-0 down on 75 minutes. Coup de grace at Crewe or at hom to Burton at home next week.

What really hurts is that a shite team like Peterbore delivered the coup de grace.

In truth the season was over weeks ago but we have flattered to deceive with some recent notable victories.

Today was a match too far. All we can do is try to obtain as many points as possible. 50 would be nice.

The mass exodus of Stars will hurt more almost than relegation.

I am not looking forward to league two next season at all. Full of shite teams and not easy to get out of.

Up the U's

Oh and I truly hope that the so called posh are relegated next season.

Durham_exile

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 16:48 - Apr 17 with 1099 viewsLeadbelly

Yesterday's performance perhaps summed up our season...lots of possession and lots of chances against a decidedly average team but we didn't perform well in either box.

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 17:25 - Apr 17 with 1094 viewsSector4

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 19:06 - Apr 16 by Leadbelly

Is there anything that Peter Heard said that could be posted on the forum , Lead?
Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 17:56 - Apr 17 with 1082 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 17:25 - Apr 17 by Sector4

Is there anything that Peter Heard said that could be posted on the forum , Lead?

No juicy revelations I'm afraid. Beyond sharing the frustrations of the majority of fans he did say that our current chairman is a difficult man with whom to deal. Supports much of what I've heard from elsewhere.

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 23:46 - Apr 17 with 1050 viewsmfb_cufc

If there is any one person to blame for our relegation, then in my opinion it has to be Cowling. Mainly for his stubborn attitude in choosing internal managers. Even when he went external he seemed determined to not go for an experienced manager. Having said that there is no way this team should have been anywhere near the bottom, in what is a very poor standard League 1 this season.

mfb

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 03:50 - Apr 18 with 1041 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 23:46 - Apr 17 by mfb_cufc

If there is any one person to blame for our relegation, then in my opinion it has to be Cowling. Mainly for his stubborn attitude in choosing internal managers. Even when he went external he seemed determined to not go for an experienced manager. Having said that there is no way this team should have been anywhere near the bottom, in what is a very poor standard League 1 this season.

As Chairman of Colchester United, I think that makes Robbie ultimately responsible for everything at the club, good and bad. However, he's not the one running training, picking the squad and tactics or under-performing on the pitch...think others have to shoulder responsibility for those matters.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 08:13 - Apr 18 with 1023 viewsthrillseeker

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 03:50 - Apr 18 by wessex_exile

As Chairman of Colchester United, I think that makes Robbie ultimately responsible for everything at the club, good and bad. However, he's not the one running training, picking the squad and tactics or under-performing on the pitch...think others have to shoulder responsibility for those matters.

I agree Wessex

The players MUST take some of the blame but for me Cowling/ Humes takes the majority of it:

Cowling- for appointing Humes and then retaining him as manager when it was clear to see he was clueless and out of his depth

Humes - well, all I can say on this is Humes which says a lot
[Post edited 18 Apr 2016 9:17]
Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 08:40 - Apr 18 with 1019 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 23:46 - Apr 17 by mfb_cufc

It is interesting that mfb_cufc (a highly respected U'sual pundit) thinks we have witnessed a "poor standard Division One" this season "yet there is no way this team should have been anywhere near the bottom". I agree with the latter, but my own feeling is that the standard of play in League One has generally been higher than it has been for some seasons. Sounds like a decent debate to pursue.....

My conclusion is based on having watched almost all of the U's games (home and away) and comparing the Division One standard to my usual quota of Division Two and particularly National League matches that I have additionally attended (midweek etc.). The latter IMHO is simply "hoofball"; and those that want to pay £17 at Braintree to watch it are welcome to it!

Todays Division One Teams will generally get the ball on the deck and play "football"; with the odd exceptions. Burton and Millwall still play a 'long ball' to big brutal forwards (as do Shrewsbury), in particular evidence when I recently watched their fixture at the New Den. But most play a style that isn't that dissimilar to Premier League; and some Division One players (like Michael Antonio who wasn't brilliant for us) can then make an easy transition to that higher level.

I have been looking for tangible statistical evidence to support or disprove these conflicting 'quality' perceptions. I personally believe that the U's have been far better to watch in attack than for some years ('goals for' have been OK); whilst our defending has been woeful (I blame Elokobi for undermining team confidence); whilst we have been punished by unusually pacy strikers that have exceptional 'on target' conversion into 'goals' ratios. Even our own top scorer (Moncur) has a 53% on "on target" converted into goals ratio; not that any U's fan will believe that (except for his penalty efforts!).

On Saturday v Posh we saw 43 shots (U's 24) with almost half on target; 19 (U's 10) and five goals. This was a somewhat higher strike rate but lower goals from shots on target ratio perhaps emphasising the role Posh Goalie Alnwick played and the number of last minute blocks that we painfully endured. We also gave away the last two goals when "chasing the game". With a bit of betterluck (penalty; hit post; numerous miracle saves) we might even have won 5-3. But albeit four goals did enter our net, how can fans complain about the quality and particularly the entertainment value? Or is it because we watch too much televised stuff and expect our guys to replicate Renaldo and Messi and score almost every shot? I can probably step back from a match and take a more distant chilled perspective than many; but I think I have watched a better quality of Division One football this season; and not merely from the opposition. We may have statistically been amongst the worst teams; but our 'football' is above that of Division Two....but we shall soon see....
[Post edited 18 Apr 2016 8:58]
Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 09:05 - Apr 18 with 1004 viewsAFCMorant

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 08:40 - Apr 18 by noah4x4

It is interesting that mfb_cufc (a highly respected U'sual pundit) thinks we have witnessed a "poor standard Division One" this season "yet there is no way this team should have been anywhere near the bottom". I agree with the latter, but my own feeling is that the standard of play in League One has generally been higher than it has been for some seasons. Sounds like a decent debate to pursue.....

My conclusion is based on having watched almost all of the U's games (home and away) and comparing the Division One standard to my usual quota of Division Two and particularly National League matches that I have additionally attended (midweek etc.). The latter IMHO is simply "hoofball"; and those that want to pay £17 at Braintree to watch it are welcome to it!

Todays Division One Teams will generally get the ball on the deck and play "football"; with the odd exceptions. Burton and Millwall still play a 'long ball' to big brutal forwards (as do Shrewsbury), in particular evidence when I recently watched their fixture at the New Den. But most play a style that isn't that dissimilar to Premier League; and some Division One players (like Michael Antonio who wasn't brilliant for us) can then make an easy transition to that higher level.

I have been looking for tangible statistical evidence to support or disprove these conflicting 'quality' perceptions. I personally believe that the U's have been far better to watch in attack than for some years ('goals for' have been OK); whilst our defending has been woeful (I blame Elokobi for undermining team confidence); whilst we have been punished by unusually pacy strikers that have exceptional 'on target' conversion into 'goals' ratios. Even our own top scorer (Moncur) has a 53% on "on target" converted into goals ratio; not that any U's fan will believe that (except for his penalty efforts!).

On Saturday v Posh we saw 43 shots (U's 24) with almost half on target; 19 (U's 10) and five goals. This was a somewhat higher strike rate but lower goals from shots on target ratio perhaps emphasising the role Posh Goalie Alnwick played and the number of last minute blocks that we painfully endured. We also gave away the last two goals when "chasing the game". With a bit of betterluck (penalty; hit post; numerous miracle saves) we might even have won 5-3. But albeit four goals did enter our net, how can fans complain about the quality and particularly the entertainment value? Or is it because we watch too much televised stuff and expect our guys to replicate Renaldo and Messi and score almost every shot? I can probably step back from a match and take a more distant chilled perspective than many; but I think I have watched a better quality of Division One football this season; and not merely from the opposition. We may have statistically been amongst the worst teams; but our 'football' is above that of Division Two....but we shall soon see....

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, "whilst our defending has been woeful (I blame Elokobi for undermining team confidence)"
17 League appearances but it's all Elokobi's fault our defending has been pitiful.
Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 12:47 - Apr 18 with 962 viewsBlueStripes

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 16:30 - Apr 16 by gerry_us

The fat lady's singing.. very loudly!

For me, the fat lady started singing (and hasn't stopped since!) back in November when Col U surrendered a 2 goal lead in the last half hour to bottom of the table Crewe and lost 2-3. I think Crewe came into that match having scored just twice in their previous 7 games but rattled in 3 in 30 minutes against our comedy defence. Will be appropriate if they deliver the "coup de grace" tomorrow night and put Col U out of their prolonged misery!
Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 15:29 - Apr 18 with 940 viewswessex_exile

That being said, how do we mentally prepare for the possible scenario that the U's might win tomorrow night, and against the odds again on Saturday, whilst Doncaster, Blackpool and Shrewsbury could easily lose both, and then Shrewsbury lose again the following Tuesday at Walsall?

Please...someone...take me outside and shoot me...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 16:05 - Apr 18 with 933 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 15:29 - Apr 18 by wessex_exile

That being said, how do we mentally prepare for the possible scenario that the U's might win tomorrow night, and against the odds again on Saturday, whilst Doncaster, Blackpool and Shrewsbury could easily lose both, and then Shrewsbury lose again the following Tuesday at Walsall?

We probably need to win every remaining game and have all the other relegation threatened teams fail to collect another point for us to stay in League 1. As this scenario is somewhat unlikely I'd suggest skipping the mental preparations.

Perhaps tune into play at the Crucible. More chance of seeing someone getting snookers there.

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 16:31 - Apr 18 with 928 viewsbwildered

Only one stat has been important this season, 90 plus goals conceded, regardless of the standard of the division.
Just not played well enough has a TEAM to keep us in this division .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 17:39 - Apr 18 with 917 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 15:29 - Apr 18 by wessex_exile

Wessex - until mathematically impossible to do otherwise - we must cling to the hope that 50 points might be enough.

I can cope with the despair, it is the hope!

Incredibly four wins still required, however slim the opportunity for survival still exists.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 23:00 - Apr 18 with 883 viewsmfb_cufc

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 08:40 - Apr 18 by noah4x4

Noah, as you go to nearly all the away games, you have seen more League 1 games than I have. But a teams tactics has no relation to them being a good team. It is all about quality, and I haven't seen a lot of that from many teams. The fact that teams like Burton, Walsall Gillingham, the pathetic Southend and Bradford (who we doubled), are all in the top half, proves what a rubbish league this is. Probably the worst since we were promoted.

mfb

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 07:15 - Apr 19 with 869 viewsSector4

Super U's to make Posh inferior at the WHCS on 17:56 - Apr 17 by Leadbelly

No juicy revelations I'm afraid. Beyond sharing the frustrations of the majority of fans he did say that our current chairman is a difficult man with whom to deal. Supports much of what I've heard from elsewhere.

Thanks. I respect Mr Heard's opinion over Mr Cowling's.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024