Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup 3rd Round Draw 13:54 - Dec 7 with 1897 viewsRSCOSWORTH

We're number 59 in the bag this evening. Who do we all want to draw?

For me personally it's Liverpool at home but I'd take any home draw that fills the WHCS. Surely we're due a big draw.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 14:20 - Dec 7 with 1328 viewsnoah4x4

Whilst it is a romantic thought to host Manchester United (or Liverpool etc.) at WHCS I reckon that it will benefit the club far more if we instead played them at Old Trafford.

The payments described below are based upon the prevailing levels of a couple of years ago, but it's the best information that I have found in the public domain and is taken from THE FINANCIAL IMPACT OF THE FA CUP (published January 2012) by Deloitte.

I reckon that we have already banked at least £27,000 in prize money from winning R2 and £36k from R2 TV (probably more for both at current 2015-16 rates). OK, we only had a 2,592 gate against Altrincham, but on our average gates for FLD1 league games we typically only make about £60,000 gate revenue, so albeit versus non-league it was almost certainly far more lucrative than next weeks game versus Barnsley will be (once we add in TV and prize money).

If we don't win in R3, that is the end of the prize money, but a win could mean £67,500 (hence more than double). We might also get £123k from TV (if televised). The key point here is that if televised, from TV revenue alone it is probably worth two typical FLD1 league games irrespective of who we play.

However, from round three proper onwards; gate receipts are shared. So would we prefer to receive half of the full house gate at WHCS or half of the gate at Old Trafford? The difference is about £0.5M; that is higher than the U's highest ever transfer fee.

Financially, it is a no brainer. We aren't going to win the F A Cup, I travel home and away; so a trip to (say) Old Trafford, Anfield or White Hart Lane would suit me; as then perhaps we will have some extra cash available under Financial Fair Play to spend on a decent experienced centre back with a bit of pace before the January transfer window closes.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2015 14:41]
FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 15:13 - Dec 7 with 1303 viewsLeadbelly

I'll leave the financial issues to the accountants...decent draw at home ie Premier League, Farmers or Norwich or a nice easy trip to the capital or one of our East Anglian cousins.

Worst case scenario for me would be another trip to Cardiff or some other distant, glamour free location such as Middlesbrough.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 15:35 - Dec 7 with 1298 viewsBarsidepete

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 15:13 - Dec 7 by Leadbelly

I'll leave the financial issues to the accountants...decent draw at home ie Premier League, Farmers or Norwich or a nice easy trip to the capital or one of our East Anglian cousins.

Worst case scenario for me would be another trip to Cardiff or some other distant, glamour free location such as Middlesbrough.

You just know it's going to be PNE or Bristol City away.

When was the last glamour match-up in the FAC?

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 15:47 - Dec 7 with 1296 viewsDaniel

I think I'd happily take any established Prem team home or away, otherwise Ipshite or Norwich, or an away day at one of the following (purely so I can do the ground): Brighton, Bolton, Middlesbrough, Newport, Grimsby, Oxford.

Financially, the best scenario is always ManUre and a replay.
FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 15:51 - Dec 7 with 1292 viewsgerry_us

Fancy Chelsea away. Could just kick start our season.
FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 16:07 - Dec 7 with 1285 viewsdurham_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 15:35 - Dec 7 by Barsidepete

You just know it's going to be PNE or Bristol City away.

When was the last glamour match-up in the FAC?

Pete 1979 Man U at home
We lost 1-0 with a very late Greenhoff goal 87th minute from memory.

Mick Packer was an absolute legend that day and scythed down a couple of the Manchester stars attendance at Layer Road was almost 14,000.

I also went to the Derby game in 1977 when Colin Garwood scored in the 99th minute after the Rams time wasting. Score 1-1 but we lost at the Baseball ground 2-0 in the replay.

There was also a certain game against some Yorkshire team in 1971 but no one ever mentions THAT game.

I am hoping for Man U away in round three.

Up the U's
[Post edited 7 Dec 2015 16:09]

Durham_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 17:00 - Dec 7 with 1272 viewsGate16

Would be nice if it could be home against a higher division team but that added some spice.

For that reason I'd love us to get Blackburn and Lambert.
FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 17:54 - Dec 7 with 1252 viewsmfb_cufc

We have not been drawn at home to a top flight team in the 3rd round of the FA Cup since 1968, when we played WBA. WBA were very lucky to get a 1-1 draw that day, and they went on to win the Cup that season.

mfb

Login to get fewer ads

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 18:50 - Dec 7 with 1234 viewswessex_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 16:07 - Dec 7 by durham_exile

Pete 1979 Man U at home
We lost 1-0 with a very late Greenhoff goal 87th minute from memory.

Mick Packer was an absolute legend that day and scythed down a couple of the Manchester stars attendance at Layer Road was almost 14,000.

I also went to the Derby game in 1977 when Colin Garwood scored in the 99th minute after the Rams time wasting. Score 1-1 but we lost at the Baseball ground 2-0 in the replay.

There was also a certain game against some Yorkshire team in 1971 but no one ever mentions THAT game.

I am hoping for Man U away in round three.

Up the U's
[Post edited 7 Dec 2015 16:09]

Lost the replay 1-0 at the Baseball Ground Durham, but they still time-wasted outrageously to hang on to it...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 19:18 - Dec 7 with 1232 viewsLeadbelly

Home to Charlton. Will Marriott still be at Col U and allowed to play?

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 19:19 - Dec 7 with 1230 viewsdurham_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 18:50 - Dec 7 by wessex_exile

Lost the replay 1-0 at the Baseball Ground Durham, but they still time-wasted outrageously to hang on to it...

Charlton Athletic
Enough said
4th round here we come

Durham_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 19:21 - Dec 7 with 1225 viewsbwildered

Harriot will now not get a game for either side !

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 19:22 - Dec 7 with 1222 viewsbwildered

Welcome return to Johnnie Jackson .

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 19:23 - Dec 7 with 1222 viewsdurham_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 19:21 - Dec 7 by bwildered

Harriot will now not get a game for either side !

Why do we always gets shite draws in the cup

Everyone else gets decent matches!

Still it is winnable

Up the U's

Durham_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 19:34 - Dec 7 with 1207 viewswessex_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 19:23 - Dec 7 by durham_exile

Why do we always gets shite draws in the cup

Everyone else gets decent matches!

Still it is winnable

Up the U's

Okay, it's not quite the big name we wanted, but it is winnable, and it will likely draw a decent crowd (Charlton will easily sell 3k if we make them available). Will that force Harriot to be recalled, or do you think there's a clause in the loan about not playing in a match against Charlton (as unlikely as that might have seemed when the loan was agreed)?

However, with Ipswich home to Portsmouth as well, will plod force one of them to be shifted?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 19:42 - Dec 7 with 1203 viewsnoah4x4

Given that we didn't get a Premiership team AWAY to benefit from half of their large (£800,000 +) gate this is arguably our best option in every respect.

It's probably the most winnable game likely versus ANY Championship Club.
Charlton have been struggling.
A win is worth £67,000 prize money

It's our second most local Championship Club.
A gate of circa 7,000 is likely; hence £60,000 + net revenue to the U's
TV money might add £127,000

This might still be enough for a new centre back before the January transfer window shuts> If we win and then draw a big team in Round Four where the Prize money and TV rewards rise dramatically and we might be able to afford an entire new back four!

Hey! What an incentive for the current incumbents to play well!!!!
[Post edited 7 Dec 2015 19:43]
FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 20:24 - Dec 7 with 1176 viewsbwildered

Harriott cannot play for them has he has already appeared for us , but sure parent club will not allow him to play, has potentially could knock them out, a recalled looks most likely to save any embarrassment .

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 20:32 - Dec 7 with 1169 viewsTheOldOakTree

Could be a lot worse, but hard to see how it's winnable if we play like yesterday. Plenty of time for us to improve, but the same applies to Charlton.

I assume the same rules apply as in the league, that Harriott wouldn't be allowed to play against his club? Unless he signs for us..... Well if you don't ask....
FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 20:37 - Dec 7 with 1165 viewsnoah4x4

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 20:24 - Dec 7 by bwildered

Harriott cannot play for them has he has already appeared for us , but sure parent club will not allow him to play, has potentially could knock them out, a recalled looks most likely to save any embarrassment .

He is FA Cup tied to the U's and the Transfer window will be open. Interesting....?

If Harriott does play; and he does knock out Charlton, we hence get loads of extra TV from R4 and Prize money from R3 and hence his price goes up! But if he doesn't play and Charlton win his price remains lower. The worse case scenario for Charlton is if he doesn't play and they still lose! I think this draw may force them to the negotiating table sooner.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2015 20:55]
FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 20:55 - Dec 7 with 1155 viewsLeadbelly

Or they just loan him out elsewhere which is the simplest solution to their problem...if they view it as such.

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 21:15 - Dec 7 with 1146 viewsnoah4x4

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 20:55 - Dec 7 by Leadbelly

Or they just loan him out elsewhere which is the simplest solution to their problem...if they view it as such.

True, but one way or another I think a decision has to be made well before 1st January. I think he would have already been recalled if they really wanted him.

The U's are already paying his salary. It might not be so easy to loan/sell him to another club (consider how we picked uo Sordell and Garvan). Given our modest results, Harriott has probably been operating well under the scouting radar of many clubs. When do any U's players get headlines?
FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 21:20 - Dec 7 with 1143 viewsdurham_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 20:55 - Dec 7 by Leadbelly

Hopefully we will get a shot at signing him. Last season Jacob Murphy did a similar job for us only for Norwich to loan him to the Sky Blues when we wanted him back at the start of this season.

Cally Messi was different class against Altrincham and would be a big loss if the Addicks either take him back or loan him elsewhere!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 21:42 - Dec 7 with 1135 viewsgerry_us

That has to be one of the most boring third round draws for many years. So few really interesting ties and ours is just plain boring. We will no doubt welcome back Johnny Jackson and hopefully spoil his day.
FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 23:43 - Dec 7 with 1100 viewsdurham_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 21:42 - Dec 7 by gerry_us

That has to be one of the most boring third round draws for many years. So few really interesting ties and ours is just plain boring. We will no doubt welcome back Johnny Jackson and hopefully spoil his day.

Gerry I couldn't agree more it is boring, but with the Addicks in town we must have a chance of progressing to Round 4.

Pity though when you look at:

Chelsea v Orient or Scunny
Everton v Dagenham or Whitehawk
Exeter v Liverpool
Man U v Sheff Utd
Salford or Hartlepool v Derby
Wycombe v Villa

Oh well there is always the next Round!

Up the U's

Tykes next up in a six pointer!

Durham_exile

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 03:11 - Dec 8 with 1081 viewsBarsidepete

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw on 23:43 - Dec 7 by durham_exile

Gerry I couldn't agree more it is boring, but with the Addicks in town we must have a chance of progressing to Round 4.

Pity though when you look at:

Chelsea v Orient or Scunny
Everton v Dagenham or Whitehawk
Exeter v Liverpool
Man U v Sheff Utd
Salford or Hartlepool v Derby
Wycombe v Villa

Oh well there is always the next Round!

Up the U's

Tykes next up in a six pointer!

There are some pretty ugly 3rd rounders. BPL clubs that wish they didn't have to face another one... Some Football league ties that frankly suck ...

The U's have a ho-hum draw but not bad. Athletic has strong support. Should be a good turnout on their behalf. This is one you go see at the WHCS. We're talking about a club that knows what it's like to taste the Prem.

Not bad! This is ok

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024