Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One big marketing own-goal 17:37 - Dec 21 with 22585 viewstony_roch975

BBC Football website this evening reads "Hill concerned at fan discontent". Whatever your opinion, between the (minority) boos on Saturday, the interminable thread on the KH post match comments and those comments themselves, we've managed a cracking marketing own-goal. Bit pointless complaining about the club's weakness in the PR & Marketing areas as happens ad infinitum on this forum and then in a stroke creating an impression of a disunited, unwelcoming club which players & fans (existing and future) are far less likely to want to be part of. Time for all concerned to learn a bit of perspective - or time to bang a few heads together!!

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

One big marketing own-goal on 20:14 - Dec 22 with 2930 viewsflyerdale

I can't believe most of you are surprised by the ramblings from our managers mouth, he's been at it for most of his time here even in the promotion seasons the fans were criticised. I myself under a different username called him out for it on here to be ridiculed by the vast majority. The situation should have been nipped in the bud all that time ago by the chairman and board as it just brings a negative vibe to the club. These days I don't have any interest in anything he has to say post match as its all very predictable.

Great football manager, rubbish media man.
One big marketing own-goal on 23:07 - Dec 22 with 2805 viewsnordenblue

One big marketing own-goal on 19:54 - Dec 22 by dingdangblue

Some have been critical of not spending to replace Hogan and Done - but you are right - I'm pretty sure none of us want a Stewart Day character coming from nowhere and putting the club in financial peril to achieve success.

People dont necessarily need to see a transfer fee spent in order to see a replacement for either Done or Hogan,the simple fact is we took decent money for the pair of them banked it "for the long term future" of the club and took an obvious backward step and stagnated having never replaced either,.
It highlights a complete lack of ambition
One big marketing own-goal on 23:44 - Dec 22 with 2756 viewsdingdangblue

I know what you're saying, and we were all upset when we sold Done as he was a great player for us and who knows how last season might have turned out with him here. Surprisingly, for all the talk of this seasons struggles , our current points total 30 is one less than this stage last season with Done (31) and we lost the next 2 games so there's a chance we could be better off pointswise at the halfway stage. Funny old game.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

One big marketing own-goal on 05:49 - Dec 23 with 2697 viewsTalkingSutty

One big marketing own-goal on 23:07 - Dec 22 by nordenblue

People dont necessarily need to see a transfer fee spent in order to see a replacement for either Done or Hogan,the simple fact is we took decent money for the pair of them banked it "for the long term future" of the club and took an obvious backward step and stagnated having never replaced either,.
It highlights a complete lack of ambition

We never had ready made replacements and we said that at the time. Hilly is in a bit of a catch 22 situation though when it comes to recruiting players, if he is serious about giving youth a chance then he has to bite the bullet and give them a chance. Otherwise he recruits new players and the young players don't progress.

I think he's tried to bring players in on low wages but obviously in general you get what you pay for, unless you strike lucky. As a result we now have a few players at the club who spend more time injured than actually on the pitch. The goalkeeping situation still baffles me, at this moment in time Lillis is the better keeper from what I have seen, if Castro was our player then I can see the logic of playing him, but he isn't. Hilly singled Castro out for his great performance against Colchester, I have to disagree with the manager again on that one, i didn't see it. He had very little to do.

Hills reliance on youth is starting to pay off though, Allen, Camps, Cannon and Hooper are all capable players if still a bit raw. Hooper was my man of the match against bury but we haven't seen him since. Young players coming through and fifth from bottom in league one, that was my expectation. It doesn't mean we can't criticise poor displays though and just have to speak about the decent ones. That would be weird. Defeats against local rivals always polarise opinions and we've had a few of those.

Hill obviously doesn't fancy Alessander and he was our stand out signing of the summer, Bunney has had loads of chances but isn't good enough at this level. Andrew is a 4 goal a season man so we have been crying out for somebody up front. We are over reliant on Henderson and Vincenti to produce which I think is a valid reason for their patchy form. They are probably trying to cover up for the inadequacies around them. Gary did that under Coleman and his own game suffered, only to reignite at Valley Parade when he took them to Wembley and swept the board at the end of season awards night, becoming a club legend in the process....anyway I digress.

It's a unbalanced squad that isn't operating anywhere near its maximum, too many players either injured ( RNL, NML) , out of favour ( Eastham, Alessandra, Lillis) or out of form ( Kennedy). Those players mentioned are all senior players and probably some of our highest earners, so even if Hilly wanted to off load a few and do some shape shifting he could be struggling to find Clubs who want them.

Perhaps these are the sort of things than leads to the managers frustrations with the fans, we don't fully appreciate what goes on behind closed doors and everything is black and white to us, easily solved by jotting down a few lines on the forum. In hindsight......i can feel a man hug coming on!!
[Post edited 23 Dec 2015 8:48]
One big marketing own-goal on 08:32 - Dec 23 with 2629 viewsTalkingSutty

Just been reading through the Wednesday copy of the Observer, anybody toying with the idea of going up to the Crewe game with their family on Boxing Day will probably not bother now, why should they fork out a load of money for that? Personal attacks on Vincenti are bang out of order but if somebody shouted 'You played crap', i think he should turn that into a positive and use it as constructive criticism, he hasn't been great of late.

Hills comments make it sound like Spotland is a bear pit of hate, it's a few people who are coming out with comments for gods sake. A few boos after Colchesters first goal and to be fare we where playing crap, are we allowed to say that??

Looking at his comments I just think he and the players are massively over reacting and should hold their hands up and accept some of the performances of late have been poor. They certainly didn't do themselves justice in the televised games and the red card is still a red, so hold your hand up and let's have some acceptance from yourself and the players. It's not just Rochdale Fans who think weplayed poorly, speak to any neutral who watched the games. Not everybody can be wrong.

Some of his remarks i see as veiled threats , the players might leave or he isn't enjoying it and he did everybody a favour by committing to the club. He's a control freak who detests the fact that supporters have the audacity to comment about sub standard performances. Obviously the plaudits will be warmly accepted and they get plenty. The paying public don't work like that. Reimburse me my money for my season tickets and I won't comment on the matches, because i won't be there, attending games entitles me to give an opinion on what I have seen,good or bad. If you don't want to hear the fans opinions play in empty stadiums, but who will pay the managers and players wages then?

So to put it in a nutshell this is my interpretation of Hills comments 'Put up and shut up and don't ever dare to criticise, or else we're off!! There is a disconnection, they're on another planet and want to get in the real world......special human beings my arse.

Anyway, enough negative energy and I am sick of talking about the bloody manager. Get behind the lads on Boxing Day and no booing,it's not nice.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2015 9:13]
One big marketing own-goal on 09:01 - Dec 23 with 2581 viewsmingthemerciless

Wow, I've only just opened the Observer. The coverage is unprecedented in it's negativity in my opinion. Without any doubt Hill is the best manager I've seen at Spotland , having said that the list of top class competition is pretty short. Unfortunately he comes across as the sort of guy who'd cause trouble in an empty house. He' seems to only be happy when he's got something to moan about. Other suitors may or may not take a dim view of his attitude. If I was a football club chairman looking for a manager I'd think twice about appointed such a loose cannon in spite of his abilities.
One big marketing own-goal on 09:05 - Dec 23 with 2576 viewsJimmyRustler

The criticism of the team and players is unwarranted though. We played well against both Wigan and Bury remember? Keith told us so.

'lol'
One big marketing own-goal on 09:21 - Dec 23 with 2548 viewsdingdangblue

One big marketing own-goal on 09:05 - Dec 23 by JimmyRustler

The criticism of the team and players is unwarranted though. We played well against both Wigan and Bury remember? Keith told us so.

'lol'

Wigan and bury were big games to lose but overall we are doing alright. Wins at Doncaster and against Port Vale and Colchester recently were just as important - 30 points is great so far considering how most think its been a poor season up till now. Last season with Logan, O'Connell, Dawson and Done we had 31 points. Time to look forwards rather than backwards. Up the Dale.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

One big marketing own-goal on 09:53 - Dec 23 with 2507 viewsTalkingSutty

One big marketing own-goal on 09:21 - Dec 23 by dingdangblue

Wigan and bury were big games to lose but overall we are doing alright. Wins at Doncaster and against Port Vale and Colchester recently were just as important - 30 points is great so far considering how most think its been a poor season up till now. Last season with Logan, O'Connell, Dawson and Done we had 31 points. Time to look forwards rather than backwards. Up the Dale.

I certainly don't think it's been a poor season. It's been a mixture of decent performances and poor ones probably why we sit in mid table of the league. The style of play has changed a bit and the tactic of Mc Nulty or Lancashire launching long balls from defence isn't what we are used to but there must be a reason for it.

I don't like Hill talking the size of the club down before games, it gives everybody a ready made excuse for losing. You want positivity from the manager and players when it comes to local derbies but the opposition grasped the nettle and put us in our place with relative ease, we seemed to accept that because of different budgets, or something. He is obviously wrong when he thinks Dale fans want to follow bury's example, that shows a massive disconnection on his part and a worrying lack of awareness.

There has been a big reaction from the fans following recent defeats/ draws against Oldham, Wigan and Bury. My feeling is that we under performed big time in all of those games and it hurt the supporters more than the manager and players. In fact the manager thought we played quite well. He has now followed that up by belittling the fans and suggesting we strive to be like Bury!! Disconnection is a great word and it's even more apt when it's the manager who mentions it.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2015 9:55]
One big marketing own-goal on 09:56 - Dec 23 with 2504 views442Dale

One big marketing own-goal on 05:49 - Dec 23 by TalkingSutty

We never had ready made replacements and we said that at the time. Hilly is in a bit of a catch 22 situation though when it comes to recruiting players, if he is serious about giving youth a chance then he has to bite the bullet and give them a chance. Otherwise he recruits new players and the young players don't progress.

I think he's tried to bring players in on low wages but obviously in general you get what you pay for, unless you strike lucky. As a result we now have a few players at the club who spend more time injured than actually on the pitch. The goalkeeping situation still baffles me, at this moment in time Lillis is the better keeper from what I have seen, if Castro was our player then I can see the logic of playing him, but he isn't. Hilly singled Castro out for his great performance against Colchester, I have to disagree with the manager again on that one, i didn't see it. He had very little to do.

Hills reliance on youth is starting to pay off though, Allen, Camps, Cannon and Hooper are all capable players if still a bit raw. Hooper was my man of the match against bury but we haven't seen him since. Young players coming through and fifth from bottom in league one, that was my expectation. It doesn't mean we can't criticise poor displays though and just have to speak about the decent ones. That would be weird. Defeats against local rivals always polarise opinions and we've had a few of those.

Hill obviously doesn't fancy Alessander and he was our stand out signing of the summer, Bunney has had loads of chances but isn't good enough at this level. Andrew is a 4 goal a season man so we have been crying out for somebody up front. We are over reliant on Henderson and Vincenti to produce which I think is a valid reason for their patchy form. They are probably trying to cover up for the inadequacies around them. Gary did that under Coleman and his own game suffered, only to reignite at Valley Parade when he took them to Wembley and swept the board at the end of season awards night, becoming a club legend in the process....anyway I digress.

It's a unbalanced squad that isn't operating anywhere near its maximum, too many players either injured ( RNL, NML) , out of favour ( Eastham, Alessandra, Lillis) or out of form ( Kennedy). Those players mentioned are all senior players and probably some of our highest earners, so even if Hilly wanted to off load a few and do some shape shifting he could be struggling to find Clubs who want them.

Perhaps these are the sort of things than leads to the managers frustrations with the fans, we don't fully appreciate what goes on behind closed doors and everything is black and white to us, easily solved by jotting down a few lines on the forum. In hindsight......i can feel a man hug coming on!!
[Post edited 23 Dec 2015 8:48]

Remarkable. Astounding. Admirable. A bit scary.

Admit it TS, you and the manager planned this all along just so you could get a 'only Gary Jones can save football' message across to the western world?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

One big marketing own-goal on 10:09 - Dec 23 with 2480 viewsDale27

One big marketing own-goal on 09:56 - Dec 23 by 442Dale

Admit it TS, you and the manager planned this all along just so you could get a 'only Gary Jones can save football' message across to the western world?

No one man is bigger than a football club - Hilly needs to remember these words, before he alienates any more fans with his comments. We cannot afford to lose any more fans...
One big marketing own-goal on 10:10 - Dec 23 with 2475 viewsTalkingSutty

One big marketing own-goal on 09:56 - Dec 23 by 442Dale

I bided my time...... It was a open goal really. Just waiting for him to pop something through my letter box
One big marketing own-goal on 11:18 - Dec 23 with 2416 viewsJimmyRustler

One big marketing own-goal on 09:21 - Dec 23 by dingdangblue

We're doing fine but we played absolutely shite in both games. Just wish KH would swallow his pride sometimes and admit that we weren't good enough/he got it wrong. Honestly can't remember the last time he admitted that we got outplayed or just lost fair and square. It's always someone's fault these days when we don't win. It really gets tiresome.
One big marketing own-goal on 11:24 - Dec 23 with 2409 viewsD_Alien

One big marketing own-goal on 10:10 - Dec 23 by TalkingSutty

I bided my time...... It was a open goal really. Just waiting for him to pop something through my letter box

I hope that's a seasonal euphemism? A man-hug obviously isn't enough!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

One big marketing own-goal on 11:31 - Dec 23 with 2391 viewsfitzochris

One big marketing own-goal on 11:18 - Dec 23 by JimmyRustler

We're doing fine but we played absolutely shite in both games. Just wish KH would swallow his pride sometimes and admit that we weren't good enough/he got it wrong. Honestly can't remember the last time he admitted that we got outplayed or just lost fair and square. It's always someone's fault these days when we don't win. It really gets tiresome.

We were better in the second half against Wigan, but lacked a cutting edge, and were better towards the end of the first half against Bury but, yep, lacked a cutting edge. The rest of the time in those games, we were absolute toilet.

I agree it was baffling to hear the manager say he thought we played well. All I can think of is that, by making such contrary observations, he was trying to deflect attention from the players onto himself.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

One big marketing own-goal on 11:37 - Dec 23 with 2370 viewsTalkingSutty

One big marketing own-goal on 11:24 - Dec 23 by D_Alien

I hope that's a seasonal euphemism? A man-hug obviously isn't enough!

euphemism......is that what you stick up your bum when you want a bob??
One big marketing own-goal on 11:42 - Dec 23 with 2354 viewsD_Alien

One big marketing own-goal on 11:37 - Dec 23 by TalkingSutty

euphemism......is that what you stick up your bum when you want a bob??

No, it's one of those geet big brass things you blow hard!

[Post edited 23 Dec 2015 11:46]

One big marketing own-goal on 11:47 - Dec 23 with 2333 viewsTalkingSutty

One big marketing own-goal on 11:42 - Dec 23 by D_Alien

No, it's one of those geet big brass things you blow hard!

[Post edited 23 Dec 2015 11:46]

They can both be noisy then?
One big marketing own-goal on 11:51 - Dec 23 with 2320 viewsD_Alien

One big marketing own-goal on 11:47 - Dec 23 by TalkingSutty

They can both be noisy then?

Aye, but it depends on the lip action whether they're tuneful or not.

One big marketing own-goal on 11:58 - Dec 23 with 2304 viewsTalkingSutty

One big marketing own-goal on 11:51 - Dec 23 by D_Alien

Aye, but it depends on the lip action whether they're tuneful or not.

A bit like 'playing the comb' Christmas evening when you've had a few Brandy and Ports. Brings back memories does that, playing with the chickens foot ( pulling the tendons) whilst my grandad knocked a tune out on his comb. We didn't have much!!
One big marketing own-goal on 12:06 - Dec 23 with 2296 viewsNotEyreClue

I'm merely a lurker nowadays but I had to add that I've phoned into GMR in the past to tell them how shoddy and biased their coverage is and I got cut off!! This was in the Eyre era btw so that probably tells you all you need to know

The modern pioneer of mealy mouthed bollocks.

One big marketing own-goal on 17:38 - Dec 29 with 1945 views442Dale

Good to see the local paper isn't letting this go. Tomorrow's Ob has more of the same, when is anyone going to either have a word with those giving interviews or those printing them?

The report mentioning that Hill's comments after the Colchester game "caused a stir amongst some sections of the club's supporters" indicates where they've been going for their exclusive insights into fan opinion.

One point: if criticism hurts those who are sensitive to it and that any sign of negativity can make an impact, is it warranted for anyone to be doing it? Practice what is preached. (it's worth reading the article and then re-reading that point again).

One big marketing own-goal on 18:40 - Dec 29 with 1861 viewsD_Alien

One big marketing own-goal on 17:38 - Dec 29 by 442Dale

Good to see the local paper isn't letting this go. Tomorrow's Ob has more of the same, when is anyone going to either have a word with those giving interviews or those printing them?

The report mentioning that Hill's comments after the Colchester game "caused a stir amongst some sections of the club's supporters" indicates where they've been going for their exclusive insights into fan opinion.

One point: if criticism hurts those who are sensitive to it and that any sign of negativity can make an impact, is it warranted for anyone to be doing it? Practice what is preached. (it's worth reading the article and then re-reading that point again).

If there's one good thing to come from the horrendous floods we've had, it's the postponement of the Crewe game on Boxing Day. The whole issue of KH's pronouncements and reactions to it became irrelevant.

We've all - both the club and fans - moved on. I doubt the Ob has the power to resurrect it.

One big marketing own-goal on 18:47 - Dec 29 with 1833 views442Dale

One big marketing own-goal on 18:40 - Dec 29 by D_Alien

If there's one good thing to come from the horrendous floods we've had, it's the postponement of the Crewe game on Boxing Day. The whole issue of KH's pronouncements and reactions to it became irrelevant.

We've all - both the club and fans - moved on. I doubt the Ob has the power to resurrect it.

Which is why someone should be wondering why they are trying to.

You've got the front pages of the paper praising the town's positivity in reacting to the floods, yet a double page spread in the sport section where negativity is the buzz word.

One big marketing own-goal on 18:54 - Dec 29 with 1814 viewsColDale

One big marketing own-goal on 18:47 - Dec 29 by 442Dale

Which is why someone should be wondering why they are trying to.

You've got the front pages of the paper praising the town's positivity in reacting to the floods, yet a double page spread in the sport section where negativity is the buzz word.

Is it not a case of printing deadlines over the Xmas period? Can't imagine much would have been done after the middle of last week, and an effortless feature like that would be music to their ears. As would a statement by the Chairman.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024