Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Scunthorpe away 14:05 - Sep 8 with 30466 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 19:33 - Sep 8 with 2709 viewsD_Alien

Just watched the goals on Goals Express (recorded)

I tried watching as if i were a disinterested fan, and purely from that perspective there was nothing about Scunny's first and last goals that you don't see week in week out being scored against all teams

Their second is obviously annoying but the first of it's type (i think) this season; so again, nothing that should be taken as evidence of some long-term failing

Fans of every team probably feel their defence is useless. The point i made earlier about Scunny fans possibly having more reason to be annoyed with their defence tonight still stands

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 19:35 - Sep 8 with 2688 viewsDaley_Lama

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 18:27 - Sep 8 by fitzochris

Iā€™m not writing him off at all. Im offering an opinion on how he played today and today only.

Some of his crosses were deeper than the Pacific, but he did get some good balls in. I think his defensive qualities need work, based on today only. He was keen, though, Iā€™ll give him that. He didnā€™t look to hide at all.

By eck, you just described Kgosiā€™s performances all season, apart from mentioning him often not getting back allowing the opposition free crosses (eg Middlesboogie)

Poll: DF in or out

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 19:45 - Sep 8 with 2626 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 19:33 - Sep 8 by D_Alien

I tried watching as if i were a disinterested fan, and purely from that perspective there was nothing about Scunny's first and last goals that you don't see week in week out being scored against all teams

Their second is obviously annoying but the first of it's type (i think) this season; so again, nothing that should be taken as evidence of some long-term failing

Fans of every team probably feel their defence is useless. The point i made earlier about Scunny fans possibly having more reason to be annoyed with their defence tonight still stands

Sorry, but completely disagree. The goal we conceded after just a minute and a half, we concede too often, same with the third. Other teams may concede goals like that infrequently and write them off as blips, but we concede them far too often.

The second goal I never want to see again. Absolutely abysmal defending by any standard of football.

Scunthorpe fans should be more annoyed at how they sat back in the second half. A lot of that was down to our reconfigured bombardment but not entirely.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 20:02 - Sep 8 with 2559 views442Dale

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 19:33 - Sep 8 by D_Alien

The difference is we, as interested fans, expect goals like that every time we concede a free kick.

Itā€™s ingrained and psychological now.

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 20:20 - Sep 8 with 2461 viewsMoonyDale

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 19:11 - Sep 8 by nordenblue

What the hell is he waffling on about again,supporters don't see an individual lack of responsibility?I'm pretty sure they do,they've also noticed regardless of who plays at the back we still make the same basic bog standard defensive errors from run of the mill balls into the box.

Supporters see what's in front of them,and that's sadly the exact same problems the teams had for far too long and guess who that's collectively a responsibility of, that will be the manager

"Our supporters don't see that, they don't see it, they see what they wanna see and that's that" ..... Not a few of or some of....Once again all are tarred with the same brush, who the fk does he think he is? Take your head out of your own arse Hill....We can all recognise individual mistakes and some on here have been watching football at Spotland longer than you have been alive, do as all a favour and stfu....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 20:51 - Sep 8 with 2317 viewsTVOS1907

I'll tell you what hasn't been mentioned, at 2-0 down Norman made an excellent save from a skidding free-kick.

He palmed it away for a corner, whereas Alnwick's save fell to Ollie Rathbone to make it 2-1.

At 3-0 down we would have had nowt to come.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 20:56 - Sep 8 with 2301 viewsSandyman

Just seen highlights of the Dale defensive errors today. For their second we offered no defence at all. Why? And, how many have we conceded from set pieces this season alone because of the same individual and collective defensive errors again and again? That's what I see. That's what I'd like the manager to sort out please.

Great to get back into the game the way we did so it's not all bad, but the defending...
Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 20:59 - Sep 8 with 2285 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 14:46 - Sep 8 by Yorkshire_Dale

Matty Lund starts but Stephen Hump is on their bench.........

Who?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:01 - Sep 8 with 2281 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 20:56 - Sep 8 by Sandyman

Just seen highlights of the Dale defensive errors today. For their second we offered no defence at all. Why? And, how many have we conceded from set pieces this season alone because of the same individual and collective defensive errors again and again? That's what I see. That's what I'd like the manager to sort out please.

Great to get back into the game the way we did so it's not all bad, but the defending...

I think that neatly sums up the consensus on here (bar one).

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:02 - Sep 8 with 2276 viewskiwidale

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 20:02 - Sep 8 by 442Dale

The difference is we, as interested fans, expect goals like that every time we concede a free kick.

Itā€™s ingrained and psychological now.

That's a telling statement. If the fans expect it then what's going through the heads of the defenders? mind we only see what we want to see.

This is not the time for bickering.

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:11 - Sep 8 with 2228 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 17:27 - Sep 8 by dingdangblue

Maybe anyone watching the 9pm show tonight on Quest could note how many goals are resulting from set pieces - I know we can defend better but it might be it's a common occurrence in the lower leagues that goals are conceded this way? I don't think it's just us.

More reason to not give away free-kicks in areas that put us under pressure.

I surmised on the way home that one of Scunthorpe's tactics was to try to win free-kicks in wide areas and we fell right into their trap, despite what some people watching and commentating on the game apparently thought.

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:11 - Sep 8 with 2230 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:01 - Sep 8 by fitzochris

I think that neatly sums up the consensus on here (bar one).

Oh for goodness sake...

International defenders make the same mistakes (see England v Spain), and i'll stand by what i posted - watch goals highlights every week and you'll see the same types of goals conceded as our first and third time and again

No, it doesn't make it right, and things can and should be improved upon where possible, but it's pretty much the same for all teams, and this constant easy carping about defensive mistakes is wearisome when we're going to concede in the majority of games

I'll take Shun's positivity over the performance and outcome every time, and we've moved up the table

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:16 - Sep 8 with 2193 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:11 - Sep 8 by D_Alien

Oh for goodness sake...

International defenders make the same mistakes (see England v Spain), and i'll stand by what i posted - watch goals highlights every week and you'll see the same types of goals conceded as our first and third time and again

No, it doesn't make it right, and things can and should be improved upon where possible, but it's pretty much the same for all teams, and this constant easy carping about defensive mistakes is wearisome when we're going to concede in the majority of games

I'll take Shun's positivity over the performance and outcome every time, and we've moved up the table

I think the point is more the giving away of the free-kicks in the first place, given our propensity to keep conceding from them.

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:23 - Sep 8 with 2178 viewsfitzochris

Oh for goodness sake...

The ā€˜bar oneā€™ was aimed at D23years, not you.

Itā€™s not easy carping, itā€™s observing a pattern and I can be positive while being critical.

And England donā€™t do it as frequently as we do, ā€˜for exampleā€™.

All my positives are aimed at our ability to change a game from the bench - the plan B. All my negatives are aimed at the defending. A balanced view.

You once called for Ian Henderson to be sacked after a game, I recall. Where was the positivity then?

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:23 - Sep 8 with 2175 views442Dale

Oh for goodness sake...

Totally accept defensive mistakes - see the second goal. But the way we give away and then concede from free kicks is a feature of how we play as a team as much as wearing lucky kits.
To move away from it we need to stop associating Dale with ā€œsilly set pieces given away around the box=good chance of the opposition scoringā€

The positives were there as they were at Middlesbrough, itā€™s interesting to see how weā€™ve shifted away from the insistence we play a certain way to try and focus on getting the ball into the box more.

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:30 - Sep 8 with 2138 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:23 - Sep 8 by fitzochris

Itā€™s not easy carping, itā€™s observing a pattern and I can be positive while being critical.

All my positives are aimed at our ability to change a game from the bench - the plan B. All my negatives are aimed at the defending. A balanced view.

You once called for Ian Henderson to be sacked after a game, I recall. Where was the positivity then?

I didn't call for him to be sacked, i posted that he could f*ck off - which was my own personal expression of disgust rather a demand

I'm not bothered who the 'bar one' was meant to be, i'm just putting the point forward that the type of goals you're carping about are being conceded by every team on a regular basis, not just Dale - it's dismaying when it happens to us, but no more than conceding any goal is

Regarding silly free kicks - yep, we do seem more prone to conceding them. The timing of the first goal is immaterial in terms of whether it's something the defence could've avoided once the free kick was taken

[Post edited 8 Sep 2018 21:32]

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:35 - Sep 8 with 2114 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:30 - Sep 8 by D_Alien

I didn't call for him to be sacked, i posted that he could f*ck off - which was my own personal expression of disgust rather a demand

I'm not bothered who the 'bar one' was meant to be, i'm just putting the point forward that the type of goals you're carping about are being conceded by every team on a regular basis, not just Dale - it's dismaying when it happens to us, but no more than conceding any goal is

Regarding silly free kicks - yep, we do seem more prone to conceding them. The timing of the first goal is immaterial in terms of whether it's something the defence could've avoided once the free kick was taken

[Post edited 8 Sep 2018 21:32]

Fair enough then. Two differing views put forward.

One final opinion to add is that conceding a goal due to poor organisation at a set piece, especially when frequent, is a lot more dismaying than conceding a worldie from open play, for example.

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:41 - Sep 8 with 2074 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:23 - Sep 8 by fitzochris

I tell you what, some of our set-piece defending was carp.

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:42 - Sep 8 with 2070 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:41 - Sep 8 by TVOS1907

I tell you what, some of our set-piece defending was carp.

And they had a Perch. A bit fishy if you ask me.

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 21:50 - Sep 8 with 2025 viewsrochdaleriddler

Didnā€™t go today so canā€™t really comment, however we cannot defend and keep a clean sheet

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 23:14 - Sep 8 with 1839 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Defending for all 3 goals was utter turd. Novak is a decent player at this level and he was allowed a free header, the diving header for the third was awful as it should never have got that far without being cleared, imho the defending for the second is hopeless, no idea who it was but the guy is cutting inside to shoot for about 5 seconds, just stand him up and block it.

Still I am not KH, I was never once with Blackburn or our greatest ever manager that has made so many personal sacrifices so I know duck all!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 23:26 - Sep 8 with 1803 viewsrochdale_ranger

Iā€™d say a point at Scunthorpe is a good result.
Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 23:33 - Sep 8 with 1789 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 23:26 - Sep 8 by rochdale_ranger

At 2-0 and 3-1 it's a great result!
And Wilbraham should have won it for us!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 23:35 - Sep 8 with 1786 viewsfitzochris

Yep, the result is good.

Match thread: Scunthorpe away on 23:36 - Sep 8 with 1781 viewsTVOS1907

It was a good result before the game.

It was a good result at half-time.

It perhaps should have been a better result at full-time.

It's a funny old game!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024