Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General election looming? 19:49 - Oct 22 with 23904 viewsDaley_Lama

Who would people vote in in Rochdale?

Lab? A bloke who has voted against every single attempt to deliver Brexit?
Lib: A bloke or woman who would do the same?
Tory? In Rochdale?

I reckon this town could actually vote in a Farage candidate if a general election was called.

Poll: DF in or out

General election looming? on 14:06 - Oct 29 with 2639 viewsfinberty

General election looming? on 21:32 - Oct 25 by BigDaveMyCock

I suggest you read ‘Britannia Unchained’ by Chris Skidmore and Kwarsi Kwarteng and backed by most of the current cabinet, in particular Raab and Patel. EU standards really are seen as the scourge of UK global competitiveness.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2019 23:18]

“EU standards really are seen as the scourge of UK global competitiveness.”

Are you saying that EU membership harms the UK on that basis?
General election looming? on 15:03 - Oct 29 with 2598 viewsJames1980

General election looming? on 14:06 - Oct 29 by finberty

Or could we be more competitive if we lowered our standards?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

General election looming? on 17:21 - Oct 29 with 2534 viewsBigDaveMyCock

General election looming? on 14:06 - Oct 29 by finberty

Of course not, I’m a remainer.
The authors and contributors to the book, who are in the current cabinet, do.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

General election looming? on 17:25 - Oct 29 with 2526 viewstony_roch975

General election looming? on 15:03 - Oct 29 by James1980

Or could we be more competitive if we lowered our standards?

definitely more competitive - i.e. the rich will get richer and the poor poorer..... it's called capitalism comrade!

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

General election looming? on 13:53 - Nov 1 with 2296 viewsCanaDale

Its a no vote for me, It's not like they listen to the will of the people anyway.
General election looming? on 14:53 - Nov 1 with 2249 viewsJames1980

General election looming? on 13:53 - Nov 1 by CanaDale

Its a no vote for me, It's not like they listen to the will of the people anyway.

If leaving the EU is your number 1 priority. What about a vote for The Nigel Party Ltd?

General election looming? on 16:10 - Nov 1 with 2198 viewsjonahwhereru

I see Farage has made Jonson an election deal he could not possibly accept.
If the Brexit Party do run in Scottish and Welsh continuances it will be interest. The leave vote will be fragmented, couldn’t call it as a split. The Labour vote will also be impacted.
In Scotland there is a high percentage of seats with less than a 1,500 imajority. Some of which are are 3 and even a 4 way contest. Even if Nigel’s gang only took 1% each of the Conservative and Labour voted, then they will both loose most of their Scottish seats.
Do not ever want a Tory government but personally I can’t see they won’t get a majority. If they do the workers rights will go up in smoke.

On another note hard to believe Nigel Farage was a Punk Rocker in his day. But images and politics are both changeable.
General election looming? on 16:57 - Nov 1 with 2174 views49thseason

General election looming? on 16:10 - Nov 1 by jonahwhereru

I see Farage has made Jonson an election deal he could not possibly accept.
If the Brexit Party do run in Scottish and Welsh continuances it will be interest. The leave vote will be fragmented, couldn’t call it as a split. The Labour vote will also be impacted.
In Scotland there is a high percentage of seats with less than a 1,500 imajority. Some of which are are 3 and even a 4 way contest. Even if Nigel’s gang only took 1% each of the Conservative and Labour voted, then they will both loose most of their Scottish seats.
Do not ever want a Tory government but personally I can’t see they won’t get a majority. If they do the workers rights will go up in smoke.

On another note hard to believe Nigel Farage was a Punk Rocker in his day. But images and politics are both changeable.

"Do not ever want a Tory government but personally I can’t see they won’t get a majority. If they do the worker's rights will go up in smoke".

It seems highly unlikely that any party would stand for election on the notion of winding back workers rights when most of it has originated in the UK long before the EU was invented, The gist of Labours argument on workers rights seems to be that prior to 1973 all 8-year-olds were working up chimneys and we were in dire straights until the benevolent EU came along and fixed everything for us. Nothing could be further from the truth:
List of legislation that grants most of those rights and whether it originates from the EU
Year Act EU Directive
1960 Payment of Wages Act No
1974 Health and Safety at Work No
1986 Social Security Act No
1989 Employment Act No
1998 National Minimum Wage Act No
1998 Working Time Regulations Yes
1998 Public Interest Disclosure Act No
2010 Equality Act Partially
The Equality Act was a coming together of various pieces of legislation into one Act. For example, the Race Relations Act dated from 1975. The original EU Directive started in 2003/2004 with various changes over the years.
As just one example some laws regarding Health and Safety, along with various later modifications, were already in place before the Health and Safety at Work Act of 1974, these were
Shops Offices and Railway Premises Act 1962
Factories Act 1961, 1952 and 1937
I think all of the legislation listed here has either superseded or merged in previous legislation so although some laws may have originated from EU Directives, much was already in place before the EU started meddling. It is fairly safe to say that very few of these Rights were instigated by the EU, apart from the 48 hour week limit we always had something similar in place.
Borrowed with thanks © well chuffed 2019
Login to get fewer ads

General election looming? on 17:49 - Nov 1 with 2136 viewsDorkingDale

General election looming? on 08:12 - Oct 23 by judd

I sincerely hope that no sitting MP who has voted against the wishes of the majority of their constituents gets re-elected.

That would mean carriages for Lloyd and McInnes.

Are we having a black tie ball to celebrate getting knocked out of the Carabao Cup then?
General election looming? on 18:11 - Nov 1 with 2119 viewstony_roch975

General election looming? on 16:57 - Nov 1 by 49thseason

"Do not ever want a Tory government but personally I can’t see they won’t get a majority. If they do the worker's rights will go up in smoke".

It seems highly unlikely that any party would stand for election on the notion of winding back workers rights when most of it has originated in the UK long before the EU was invented, The gist of Labours argument on workers rights seems to be that prior to 1973 all 8-year-olds were working up chimneys and we were in dire straights until the benevolent EU came along and fixed everything for us. Nothing could be further from the truth:
List of legislation that grants most of those rights and whether it originates from the EU
Year Act EU Directive
1989 Employment Act No
The Equality Act was a coming together of various pieces of legislation into one Act. For example, the Race Relations Act dated from 1975. The original EU Directive started in 2003/2004 with various changes over the years.
As just one example some laws regarding Health and Safety, along with various later modifications, were already in place before the Health and Safety at Work Act of 1974, these were
I think all of the legislation listed here has either superseded or merged in previous legislation so although some laws may have originated from EU Directives, much was already in place before the EU started meddling. It is fairly safe to say that very few of these Rights were instigated by the EU, apart from the 48 hour week limit we always had something similar in place.

Well argued. The key workers' rights legislation you miss out of course is the 1945-49 Welfare State legislation introduced by a Labour Gov. even before the Iron & Steel Community was formed (you also miss out the Tories anti-Trades Unions legislation since 1979). Clearly UK legislation has introduced more workers rights than the EU. So why do Remainers see the EU as so important to Workers Rights - I think it's because the EU as they see it offers a guarantee against the possibility that the British Electorate will be willing to abandon such rights under the leadership of a a 'populist' government. It's the same argument as those who want a Bill of Rights - to make it more difficult for a future government to reduce such rights by 'protecting' them with constitutional authority (like the US and the 2nd Amendment)

General election looming? on 18:27 - Nov 1 with 2101 viewsArthurDaley

Lets here it for Comrade Corbyn, sing up Comrade.

Or what Comrade Corbyn would like to sing.

The working class can kiss my arse I've got the PMs job at last.

A large VAT Dave

General election looming? on 18:39 - Nov 1 with 2095 viewsmingthemerciless

The Tories set out to crush the Trade Unions after the Miners strike and by and large they succeeded. Without effective trade union representation you are basically stuffed in today's economic climate. You're on your own. To say the Tories are remotely interested in workers rights is beyond a joke.

Let me just give you one example. When I first started work you could be fired for no reason what so ever after 3 weeks. That was your probationary period and you had no rights at all. The first thing Mrs Thatcher did, after giving the army, the police, and the judges massive pay rises, was to increase that period to three months. Before too long that was increased to six months. Within a year or two that had been increased again to 1 year and then subsequently to 2 years.

So what that meant is that you could be fired for no reason at all until you'd actually worked for a company for two years. You could be fired after that time but at least if you had a case for unfair dismissal you could take to an employment tribunal. That was before the Tories more or less outlawed tribunals by making access to them prohibitively expensive. What some really unscrupulous employers used to do was to fire people after 51 weeks and take them back on again so they never had any employment rights at all, ever.

To the eternal shame of the Blair government they only reduced that period back to to 12 months.

I'm out of the employment law loop now but I was told recently that the Tories have increased it again back to 2 years.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2019 18:43]
General election looming? on 21:37 - Nov 1 with 2017 viewspnc4eva1

General election looming? on 04:33 - Oct 23 by Dalenet

No evidence they want to sell off NHS. Remember it was Labour that brought in the public private partnership for the NHS that crippled some trusts. And Labour was in charge when Rochdales local hospital services were abandoned in favour of Oldham. People are now having to travel to an ex poor house in North Manchester for treatment. Never voted Tory but don't trust Labour with a penny of my money. And Lloyd is more interested in Northern Ireland and the hope of a ministerial seat one day thanext he is of Rochdale

With recent evidence of a sell off maybe time for a rethink

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

General election looming? on 23:53 - Nov 1 with 1964 viewspioneer

General election looming? on 21:37 - Nov 1 by pnc4eva1

With recent evidence of a sell off maybe time for a rethink

ex poor house? My sister in law died in there and to me it looked like it still was a poor house.
General election looming? on 11:17 - Nov 2 with 1859 viewsjonahwhereru

General election looming? on 16:57 - Nov 1 by 49thseason

Year Act EU Directive
1989 Employment Act No

Never viewed this in an EU law context.
Absolutely I am a unashamed trade unionist. When we leave the EU I can see the Tories appeasing those trade bodies that wanted us to be close to the EU post the break up by bolstering employer rights. This in order to keep us competitive while WTO tarrifs are in place ahead of trade deals being struck.
General election looming? on 12:52 - Nov 2 with 1828 viewspioneer

General election looming? on 11:17 - Nov 2 by jonahwhereru

Never viewed this in an EU law context.
Absolutely I am a unashamed trade unionist. When we leave the EU I can see the Tories appeasing those trade bodies that wanted us to be close to the EU post the break up by bolstering employer rights. This in order to keep us competitive while WTO tarrifs are in place ahead of trade deals being struck.

I thought one of the main arguments for leave was to make sure we would be governed from westminster through our elected MPs not from brussels by non elected euros. Surely if we elect folks to westminster to protect or improve workers rights we can exceed what brussels offers. In the same way there is nothing to stop EU becoming more right wing and amending current legislation on working conditions for the worse at some point in the future.

We might even be able to determine what we can put in our meat products and wether we can call them sausages.

Who do we want governing us, westminster or brussels?
General election looming? on 13:26 - Nov 2 with 1805 viewstony_roch975

General election looming? on 12:52 - Nov 2 by pioneer

I thought one of the main arguments for leave was to make sure we would be governed from westminster through our elected MPs not from brussels by non elected euros. Surely if we elect folks to westminster to protect or improve workers rights we can exceed what brussels offers. In the same way there is nothing to stop EU becoming more right wing and amending current legislation on working conditions for the worse at some point in the future.

We might even be able to determine what we can put in our meat products and wether we can call them sausages.

Who do we want governing us, westminster or brussels?

"Who do we want governing us, westminster or brussels?" For some I suspect a socially liberal Brussels govt is preferable to a reactionery Westminster one. It's the democracy dilemma!

General election looming? on 22:10 - Nov 2 with 1709 viewspioneer

General election looming? on 13:26 - Nov 2 by tony_roch975

"Who do we want governing us, westminster or brussels?" For some I suspect a socially liberal Brussels govt is preferable to a reactionery Westminster one. It's the democracy dilemma!

But the reactionarry westminster one was elected by UK residents ( unlike the brussels lot) so we have the ability to change that, not so with brussels sprouts.
General election looming? on 22:37 - Nov 2 with 1691 viewsJames1980

General election looming? on 22:10 - Nov 2 by pioneer

But the reactionarry westminster one was elected by UK residents ( unlike the brussels lot) so we have the ability to change that, not so with brussels sprouts.

Excuse me but haven't we had the opportunity to vote for our MEP's

General election looming? on 21:23 - Nov 6 with 1520 viewspioneer

General election looming? on 22:37 - Nov 2 by James1980

Excuse me but haven't we had the opportunity to vote for our MEP's

course ill excuse you James...yes we do, but the powers of the EU elected chamber are much less than the powers of westminsters elected chamber. The commission is the body that tuns the show and we dont get a say in that.

Also while we elect MEPs so do bulgarians, rumanians, estonians etc. So what happens in the UK is not determined only by UK MEPs and citizens. So even if every UK MEP votes against something affecting the UK, its how the other countrues MEPs vote that will determine the outcome.
General election looming? on 21:54 - Nov 6 with 1487 viewstony_roch975

General election looming? on 21:23 - Nov 6 by pioneer

course ill excuse you James...yes we do, but the powers of the EU elected chamber are much less than the powers of westminsters elected chamber. The commission is the body that tuns the show and we dont get a say in that.

Also while we elect MEPs so do bulgarians, rumanians, estonians etc. So what happens in the UK is not determined only by UK MEPs and citizens. So even if every UK MEP votes against something affecting the UK, its how the other countrues MEPs vote that will determine the outcome.

Bit like the relationship between Parliament and the other home nations then.The powers of the EU Parliament are less but it's the Council that 'runs the show' - all elected politicians (The Commission is more like our Civil Service); but yes it does mean having to consider the views of others, making a collective decision, compromising - it's like any good family.

General election looming? on 23:31 - Nov 6 with 1430 viewspioneer

General election looming? on 21:54 - Nov 6 by tony_roch975

Bit like the relationship between Parliament and the other home nations then.The powers of the EU Parliament are less but it's the Council that 'runs the show' - all elected politicians (The Commission is more like our Civil Service); but yes it does mean having to consider the views of others, making a collective decision, compromising - it's like any good family.

And we voted to leave that particular family, having never been asked if we wanted to join it in the first place, and make our own decisions.
General election looming? on 10:37 - Nov 7 with 1317 viewsDaleFan7

PM after the election odds;

Johnson - 4/11
Corbyn - 5/2
Swinson 20/1

Let's hope the bookies are right.
General election looming? on 10:43 - Nov 7 with 1314 viewselectricblue

The whole political system is now geared towards attacking mps and not the parties manifestos like it used to be.
I blame Cameron for this as he used the dirty tricks campaign to get in power in 2010 and its snowballed from there.

The GE will be all about Brexit and that will be in the tories favour as your regular joe voter will not be bothered about anither GE and in December aswell.

I can see more tory voters than labour voters hitting to poll stations as remember a while back a guy on one of the election night programmes stated that an tory voter will always vote as they want more n more via tory government where as a labour working class voter will rather stay in or do something else...

Looking at the 2019 General Election its a poor selection on who you give your × to.
Boris Johnson is not to be trusted and he is a liar...so no.
Jeremy corbyn and labours stance on Brexit is a no for me.
Nigel Farage a guy who cannot put himself up to be elected isnt trustworthy...so a no for me.
Jo Swinton i can never ever vote for the libdems they would be wirse than the tories if they ever got a majority and this country would be goosed totally..
As for the rest not worth my vote as voting for any of them is only a worthless protest vote.....

So basically myself like a few others im not voting as we have had over 3yrs of a democratic referendum that nobody in parliament will recognise.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

General election looming? on 12:56 - Nov 7 with 1281 views49thseason

General election looming? on 10:43 - Nov 7 by electricblue

The whole political system is now geared towards attacking mps and not the parties manifestos like it used to be.
I blame Cameron for this as he used the dirty tricks campaign to get in power in 2010 and its snowballed from there.

The GE will be all about Brexit and that will be in the tories favour as your regular joe voter will not be bothered about anither GE and in December aswell.

I can see more tory voters than labour voters hitting to poll stations as remember a while back a guy on one of the election night programmes stated that an tory voter will always vote as they want more n more via tory government where as a labour working class voter will rather stay in or do something else...

Looking at the 2019 General Election its a poor selection on who you give your × to.
Boris Johnson is not to be trusted and he is a liar...so no.
Jeremy corbyn and labours stance on Brexit is a no for me.
Nigel Farage a guy who cannot put himself up to be elected isnt trustworthy...so a no for me.
Jo Swinton i can never ever vote for the libdems they would be wirse than the tories if they ever got a majority and this country would be goosed totally..
As for the rest not worth my vote as voting for any of them is only a worthless protest vote.....

So basically myself like a few others im not voting as we have had over 3yrs of a democratic referendum that nobody in parliament will recognise.....

"Nigel Farage a guy who cannot put himself up to be elected isnt trustworthy...so a no for me"
By that logic there are only about 3000 people in the country that ARE trustworthy and they are all candidates to get elected.
On the basis that Guy Fawkes was the last person to enter Parliament with an honest intent I presume you actually trust MPs? How very novel. Do you actually trust the EU to make the best decsions for the UK?

This election is about deciding whether or not you want to be able to hold UK MPs to account for the way they spend your money and make decsisions on your behalf. Or if you prefer to have those decisions made or influenced by a committee of 28 countries. Its about whether you believe this country has thrived and prospered from EU rules and regulations that have been put into UK law or if you believe we might have been better off without their influence in our affairs. There is only one party that proposes to leave the EU and put us firmly in charge of our own destiny.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024