Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS 13:13 - Dec 19 with 1010 viewsdurham_exile

After three successive Away games where we won one, drew one and lost one, the U’s return to the JSCS to welcome Morecambe under the guidance of Derek Adams. The Shrimpers are having a good season and have won three out of the last four games (Orient 2-1, Harrogate 1-0, and Barrow 1-0). The only defeat 2-1 at Newport.

Now courtesy of IFollow I have seen every league this season (as many on this board will have done also) and I have not been afraid to criticise SB for his one-dimensional tactics, but on Tuesday evening we should have secured a point at the Abbey Stadium. Cambridge wasted so much time second half and yet only 5 minutes was added on despite the number of substitutes utilised, plus that timewasting. We tried for one opportunity late into the game, but it did not come.

Of course, SB played defensively from the outset which is his biggest failing as a manager. Have confidence in the team to deliver the goods and let them express themselves. When we attack, we are dangerous, but this defensive passing back and sideways plus packing the defence and midfield with players who are often being played out of position is plain wrong.

Luke Gambin is a case in point. We signed him after he had singlehandedly defeated the U’s and scored two long range goals. When did he last have a shot at goal? Why play him in the midfield alongside Ben Stevenson when Noah Chilvers should be there. It is unfair on the player and frustrating for the spectators.

On Tuesday evening SB at last played Brown and Folivi together after both entered the fray on 59 minutes by which time, we were a goal down and chasing the game.

Cambridge went two up on 65 minutes before Folivi scored a penalty on 68 minutes to half the deficit. The equaliser would not come, however.

Today SB has a decision to make. He is home in a match that we should win and so can he be bold and play Folivi and Brown together with Norris as well. The stats suggest that he will unfortunately definitely not do so, and so instead bring Norris on from the bench but start Brown and Folivi as twin strikers. After all Brown was bought as the replacement for Szmodics and it was partly due to the injury to Chuck that Jevani Brown was played as a number 9 at the start of the season.

I would go with the following:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Harriott Stevenson Chilvers Gambin

Brown Folivi

Subs

George Sowunmi Clampin Tchamadeu Norris Poku Senior

The back four offer stability. Stevenson and Chilvers are proper midfield players, not inverted wingers or being played out of position. Harriott, when he is on song, is the most skilful winger and has the ability to change games. Gambin is long overdue a starting berth as a left side winger.

Brown and Folivi have pace, skill, ability and can both score goals.

I don't know what's happened to Josh Bohui, he must have walked under some ladders or run over some black cats.

That leaves Norris, Poku and Senior as possible replacements later in the game.
But give twin strikers a chance and they will come good.

The weather is likely to be 10 degrees Celsius, mostly sunny, and only a 10% chance of rain. Much better than of late.

2,000 fans will be allowed in today, as Colchester remains in Tier Two.

If Colchester do play 4,4,2 and go with early intent then I see the Shrimpers being outplayed and defeated 4-0. Anything else and we face a difficult game which we do not need with the old enemy on Boxing Day complete with Greg Halford!

It is about time that we beat another team in the top seven of the league.
Next fixtures:

26th Southend Away
29th Cheltenham Home
January 2nd Tranmere Home
9th Salford Away
16th Cambridge Home
23rd Morecambe Away
26th Stevenage Away
29th Scunny Home

Table:
Newport 18 37 (Away Lost 2-1)
Carlisle 18 35 (Away Lost 3-2)
Cheltenham 18 33
FGR 18 33 (Home Won 1-0)
Exeter 18 30 (Away Lost 6-1)
Cambridge 17 28 (Away Lost 2-1)
COL U 18 28
Morecambe 18 28

Enjoy the game today.

Have a Merry Christmas and an even more enjoyable Boxing Day!

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:06 - Dec 19 with 994 viewsGOSBTS

You've got your Christmas wish Durham: Brown and Folivi are both starting!
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:16 - Dec 19 with 987 viewsnoah4x4

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:06 - Dec 19 by GOSBTS

Probably in 10 - 0 - 0 formation.
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:06 - Dec 19 with 964 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:06 - Dec 19 by GOSBTS

Delighted with the lineup except I would have preferred Gambin to Senior.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:10 - Dec 19 with 956 viewsgerry_us

As I said earlier...Morecambe,
What do you think of it so far?
Rubbish
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:11 - Dec 19 with 950 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:10 - Dec 19 by gerry_us

As I said earlier...Morecambe,
What do you think of it so far?
Rubbish

A lot to do now Gerry.

But what it proves in league two is take the game to the opposition and there are goals to be had.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:26 - Dec 19 with 935 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:11 - Dec 19 by durham_exile

A lot to do now Gerry.

But what it proves in league two is take the game to the opposition and there are goals to be had.

Up the U's

FOLIVI

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:31 - Dec 19 with 929 viewsnoah4x4

Stockton OG, but who cares 1-1
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:42 - Dec 19 with 917 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:31 - Dec 19 by noah4x4

Stockton OG, but who cares 1-1

Gerken lucky to get away with that dodgy save

But still 1-1

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:47 - Dec 19 with 912 viewsMoor_Pinot

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:42 - Dec 19 by durham_exile

Gerken lucky to get away with that dodgy save

But still 1-1

Up the U's

Tough match, we're second best really and they gave an object lesson in how to assert from the kick off. Something Colchester really do have to learn soon.

Moor Pinot

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:07 - Dec 19 with 894 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:47 - Dec 19 by Moor_Pinot

Tough match, we're second best really and they gave an object lesson in how to assert from the kick off. Something Colchester really do have to learn soon.

Morecambe strike the post again.

Come on the U's

Senior to come off for Gambin please

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:20 - Dec 19 with 886 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:07 - Dec 19 by durham_exile

Morecambe strike the post again.

Come on the U's

Senior to come off for Gambin please

Welch-Hayes on for Tchamadeu
Poku on for Harriott
Norris on for Brown

And we are 2-1 down

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:25 - Dec 19 with 876 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:20 - Dec 19 by durham_exile

Poku on for Harriott
Norris on for Brown

And we are 2-1 down

Gambin on for Chilvers

Senior still on and we are still losing

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:25 - Dec 19 with 876 viewsMoor_Pinot

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:20 - Dec 19 by durham_exile

Poku on for Harriott
Norris on for Brown

And we are 2-1 down

Need some brilliance from somewhere, because the opposition are far too sharp today. Has the usual U's Christmas rot set in? How come Morecambe always do a job on us? Preparation?
A game where the stats are not telling fibs.

Moor Pinot

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:55 - Dec 19 with 849 viewswessex_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:25 - Dec 19 by Moor_Pinot

Need some brilliance from somewhere, because the opposition are far too sharp today. Has the usual U's Christmas rot set in? How come Morecambe always do a job on us? Preparation?

Can't argue with that - definitely the right result for the better side. Credit to Gerken for preventing it being worse.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:55 - Dec 19 with 849 viewsburnsieespana

Worse heading our way as well with Southend over Xmas who are now playing much better.
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:57 - Dec 19 with 846 viewsdurham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:25 - Dec 19 by Moor_Pinot

Grim result.

Sadly we are not good enough.

Senior poor again.

Morecambe probably the best team that I have seen this season. They were very good and we could have no complaints about the result.

Very disappointing.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:10 - Dec 19 with 827 viewsMoor_Pinot

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:57 - Dec 19 by durham_exile

Grim result.

Sadly we are not good enough.

Senior poor again.

Morecambe probably the best team that I have seen this season. They were very good and we could have no complaints about the result.

Very disappointing.

Up the U's

Yes it's disappointing but in truth we've surprised me in keeping the unbeaten home tag this long. We are mid table at best courtesy of the way we set up away from home and the resultant consequences of that. This puts pressure on home performance and constricts any freedom we might try to display at home, hence the narrowness of our wins and today's inevitability.
Unless tactics change we're going nowhere and will be well stuffed at Root's Hall.
Shame but that Exeter result and its manner spoke volumes for the current set up.
Yes Durham, Morecambe probably as good as anything this season
, credit to them, but as you would say, they're a small team and we ought to be beating them....... didn't we? Or am I now not the realist?

Moor Pinot

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:16 - Dec 19 with 823 viewsnoah4x4

Result fades into insignificance after the Boris announcement. All of our family is now in tier four, so Christmas is cancelled. My wife is in bits. Anybody want to buy half a turkey?
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:37 - Dec 19 with 803 viewswessex_exile

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:16 - Dec 19 by noah4x4

Result fades into insignificance after the Boris announcement. All of our family is now in tier four, so Christmas is cancelled. My wife is in bits. Anybody want to buy half a turkey?

Can't disagree with that Noah - there are far more important things than football at the moment. Likewise I'm in conversation with family about what we can, and how, rescue anything from this recent announcement. I suspect not much at all...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:10 - Dec 19 with 782 viewspwrightsknees

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:16 - Dec 19 by noah4x4

Best wishes to you and your family, Noah. I'm so sorry that it seems to have hit you hardest.

In fact, very best wishes to you all on this board, your families, and U's players and staff.

Up the U's.
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:28 - Dec 19 with 773 viewsbwildered

The difference between the two sides, one played within their capabilities, worked hard, kept their shape and did the basics well within a 4-4-2 set up. The other side didn’t, and over complicated.
Without a MOM display by Gerken a pre Christmas stuffing would have been inevitable.
No sunshine in our smile today .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 20:01 - Dec 19 with 731 viewsLeadbelly

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:28 - Dec 19 by bwildered

The difference between the two sides, one played within their capabilities, worked hard, kept their shape and did the basics well within a 4-4-2 set up. The other side didn’t, and over complicated.
Without a MOM display by Gerken a pre Christmas stuffing would have been inevitable.
No sunshine in our smile today .

4-4-2? Old fashioned system that doesn’t work, surely?!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 23:56 - Dec 19 with 661 viewsnoah4x4

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 18:10 - Dec 19 by pwrightsknees

Best wishes to you and your family, Noah. I'm so sorry that it seems to have hit you hardest.

In fact, very best wishes to you all on this board, your families, and U's players and staff.

Up the U's.

Tonight, my wife and I walked out of a Colchester restaurant half way through our meal after a group of NINE walked in and were welcomed, patently not from one household or in one bubble. We then noticed another group of SEVEN were in another corner. Even outdoors, groups in excess of six are prohibited in tier two.

Who should we blame, the restaurant or the groups or both? My wife was again in bits as from tonight, she is prohibited from seeing her children residing in tier four. There is zero respect for the rules from people under 30. Isn't it time this pandemic was properly policed?
[Post edited 19 Dec 2020 23:57]
Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 00:09 - Dec 20 with 651 viewsmfb_cufc

Steve Ball is the worst manager we have had since Roger Brown. Totally out of his depth. What is the plan or tactics with him, other than getting lucky by hoping the opposition miss a hatful of chances, and we take the odd ones we create. This team are much better than that, and they would be with an experienced manager. When Cowling said the club are going in a different direction, I don't think we expected it to be backwards, and get outplayed every game. McGreal must wonder what on earth he did wrong.

mfb

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 13:16 - Dec 20 with 590 viewspwrightsknees

Shrimpers to be potted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 23:56 - Dec 19 by noah4x4

Tonight, my wife and I walked out of a Colchester restaurant half way through our meal after a group of NINE walked in and were welcomed, patently not from one household or in one bubble. We then noticed another group of SEVEN were in another corner. Even outdoors, groups in excess of six are prohibited in tier two.

Who should we blame, the restaurant or the groups or both? My wife was again in bits as from tonight, she is prohibited from seeing her children residing in tier four. There is zero respect for the rules from people under 30. Isn't it time this pandemic was properly policed?
[Post edited 19 Dec 2020 23:57]

Unforgiveable!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024