Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton 20:20 - Feb 5 with 26610 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/54146/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 14:20 - Feb 8 with 1324 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 14:11 - Feb 8 by AtThePeake

But then if we can take on the likes of Newcastle and Spurs and Manchester United - why should we fear Charlton? Why are some fans so quick to write games off against the stronger sides in our league as almost unwinnable after a defeat?

I'm not expecting us to beat these teams btw, but I am at least expecting us to make it as difficult as possible for them. I don't think we've got close to that on quite a few occasions this season.

Precisely.

The last time any of us saw Dale at home in the flesh was that sublime performance against high-flying Rotherham. Totally outfoxed them, relied on minimum possession and scored 3 times.

A joy to behold after so many years of sterile league football.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 14:20 - Feb 8 with 1326 viewsjonahwhereru

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 12:28 - Feb 8 by Hopwoodblue

I think at the moment it’s 50 / 50 on who’s to blame ?
It’s not all down to players making mistakes but a mixture of that and the style of play.
Some of the mistakes that have been made are due to players not hoofing the ball when under in their own final third.
This is what makes so frustrating, yes players will always make mistakes more so the further down the football pyramid you go but like most people the style of play in some games has been more frustrating than the mistakes.
As for BBM stilling having the dressing room James if he’s not giving them grief for poor performances it’s no wonder !
Like I keep saying RAFC is more important than nice managers who are not getting the best out of players due to their continued stubbornness not to realise we have to stopping tippy tapping around against teams, especially the ones around us who we need to take points off.
Tomorrow evening has to be all out guns blazing to get three points and not hope we score after putting a 35 pass move together for tap in by someone, so BBM gets the plaudits by these other mangers for his style of play.
We need to wake up and smell the coffee starting tomorrow !
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 12:31]

Like most on here I have watched a fair bit of football be it under 11’s, senior park standard and professional. Across all levels of football all managers have one thing in common “the ability to and willingness to give their players grief”.
BBM would be no exception to this. He has been around the dressing room long enough to know that venting your spleen can sometimes have a positive effect. Plus he played in front of the back four. Not a position for a shrinking violet.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 14:41 - Feb 8 with 1282 viewstony_roch975

But then if we can take on the likes of Newcastle and Spurs and Manchester United - why should we fear Charlton? Why are some fans so quick to write games off against the stronger sides in our league as almost unwinnable after a defeat?

I'm not expecting us to beat these teams btw, but I am at least expecting us to make it as difficult as possible for them. I don't think we've got close to that on quite a few occasions this season.

I don't think we do fear Charlton and the margins in professional sports are often quite small - the run of the ball, a 35 yd screamer, opponents who are off the pace etc. I start every Dale game expecting we will compete and looking to find things to be positive about and most of the time that happens - that for me is what being a fan is all about. Of course I can identify areas for improvement but that also has to be tempered by an acceptance that 'I wouldn't have started from here' isn't much help. Those on here bemoaning the BBM 'approach' seem to find watching Dale a great trial and despair (we all do when we lose). How you deal with disappointment is a great life lesson - like whether to use the stick or the carrot to improve someone's behaviour. I'm a carrot person - it's not surprising that in most aspects of life a positive starting attitude tends to result in better outcomes.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:00 - Feb 8 with 1060 viewsJames1980

Would the crowd, atmosphere and occasion have contributed to the performances in the games against Premier league opposition?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:35 - Feb 8 with 1002 viewsfinberty

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 14:20 - Feb 8 by judd

Precisely.

The last time any of us saw Dale at home in the flesh was that sublime performance against high-flying Rotherham. Totally outfoxed them, relied on minimum possession and scored 3 times.

A joy to behold after so many years of sterile league football.

Plus a goalkeeper who decided from an early stage he was in charge not only of the six yard box but well beyond it as well. The best display of consistent catching I've seen for years.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:47 - Feb 8 with 980 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 14:41 - Feb 8 by tony_roch975

I don't think we do fear Charlton and the margins in professional sports are often quite small - the run of the ball, a 35 yd screamer, opponents who are off the pace etc. I start every Dale game expecting we will compete and looking to find things to be positive about and most of the time that happens - that for me is what being a fan is all about. Of course I can identify areas for improvement but that also has to be tempered by an acceptance that 'I wouldn't have started from here' isn't much help. Those on here bemoaning the BBM 'approach' seem to find watching Dale a great trial and despair (we all do when we lose). How you deal with disappointment is a great life lesson - like whether to use the stick or the carrot to improve someone's behaviour. I'm a carrot person - it's not surprising that in most aspects of life a positive starting attitude tends to result in better outcomes.

Reasonable advice for someone running an AA meeting, but in professional sport there needs to be the ability to not only put an arm round the shoulder, to cajole, but also to reprimand and even to embarrass if needed

Ask SAF of "flying boot" fame during his unrivalled managerial career, following which he was invited to speak to and advise many a professional organisation

Dealing with disappointment is only a great life lesson if it leads to change. What a great many of us at the more experienced end are seeing at the start of every game, particularly at home, is the inability to change - of no lessons being learnt; indeed, of a seeming inability to learn

There's a significant difference between positivity and naivety, and it's not a fine margin between the two but the difference between success and failure. Imho it'd be a minor tragedy for BBM not to be able to adapt and learn; there are no doubt more important things happening around us

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:10 - Feb 8 with 932 viewsYorkshire_Dale

I was only thinking a few minutes ago that the phrase "Free Hit" has not frequented this discussion so far.......
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:14 - Feb 8 with 921 viewstony_roch975

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:47 - Feb 8 by D_Alien

Reasonable advice for someone running an AA meeting, but in professional sport there needs to be the ability to not only put an arm round the shoulder, to cajole, but also to reprimand and even to embarrass if needed

Ask SAF of "flying boot" fame during his unrivalled managerial career, following which he was invited to speak to and advise many a professional organisation

Dealing with disappointment is only a great life lesson if it leads to change. What a great many of us at the more experienced end are seeing at the start of every game, particularly at home, is the inability to change - of no lessons being learnt; indeed, of a seeming inability to learn

There's a significant difference between positivity and naivety, and it's not a fine margin between the two but the difference between success and failure. Imho it'd be a minor tragedy for BBM not to be able to adapt and learn; there are no doubt more important things happening around us

everyone to their own world view but (from my 'more experienced end') the sacrifice of morality, empathy and humanity on the alter of 'success' is the worst ever own goal - and that's quite important
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 20:18]

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:19 - Feb 8 with 910 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:10 - Feb 8 by Yorkshire_Dale

I was only thinking a few minutes ago that the phrase "Free Hit" has not frequented this discussion so far.......

Why would it?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:26 - Feb 8 with 896 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:14 - Feb 8 by tony_roch975

everyone to their own world view but (from my 'more experienced end') the sacrifice of morality, empathy and humanity on the alter of 'success' is the worst ever own goal - and that's quite important
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 20:18]

This is a thread about professional football, and it'd be appreciated if that simple fact isn't forgotten in what has been a very enlightened debate

[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 20:26]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:08 - Feb 8 with 818 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:26 - Feb 8 by D_Alien

This is a thread about professional football, and it'd be appreciated if that simple fact isn't forgotten in what has been a very enlightened debate

[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 20:26]

...and crosswords.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:11 - Feb 8 with 806 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:08 - Feb 8 by judd

...and crosswords.

Stop being cryptic

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:20 - Feb 8 with 789 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:11 - Feb 8 by TVOS1907

Stop being cryptic

You haven't got a clue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:35 - Feb 8 with 764 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:20 - Feb 8 by judd

You haven't got a clue

I'm sorry...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024