Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton 20:20 - Feb 5 with 27909 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/54146/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:37 - Feb 6 with 1751 viewssince58

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:27 - Feb 6 by James1980

I have a theory that we have played a number of teams at the wrong time. I am going to use Swindon, Gillingham and Charlton as examples.
Swindon first game of the season in league one buoyed (is that the right one?) from promotion. We were effectively playing a pre season the first few games because of coming back from furlough after the rest of the league.

Gillingham at COA they had come of a run of 3 defeats I'd expect Mr Evans is not the most pleasant chap in the dressing room after a run of defeats and probably had his team fired up in addition combine that with our poor home form in hindsight the result was inevitable.

Gillingham away their previous 3 games were 2 losses and scraped to 1-0 win against Accy. We were much better but again Mr Angry would have had them going to the very last second which they did and they come away with a point.

Charlton away after 2 defeats they go in at half time 4-2 down at home. I bet their dressing room was an interesting place. They come out fired up and nearly go on to beat us.
So today's game against us they had just been beaten at home by Portsmouth. Going 4-2 down against Dale is fresh in the managers mind. Our players have the millstone of the atrocious home form around them. Their players don't want to be embarrassed again & today's result is what you get.

It seems teams on a poor run target the game with us as one to attempt to get back on track.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 19:28]

R u on bob hope ,if not you need some.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:03 - Feb 6 with 1643 viewsSandyman

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:36 - Feb 6 by Hopwoodblue

We also could have done our homework but we never seem to.
It seems we don’t know how teams are going to set up or play until
the game is under way.
Has BBM actually got the facility to watch our opponents previous games on ?
It’s would appear he’s busking his was through games.
Trouble is by the time he’s worked it out the games already lost.

According to the podcast prior to today's iFollow game, Lee Riley reckons they do watch games of our opponents before playing them. Make of that what you will after today's performance.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:10 - Feb 6 with 1607 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:27 - Feb 6 by James1980

I have a theory that we have played a number of teams at the wrong time. I am going to use Swindon, Gillingham and Charlton as examples.
Swindon first game of the season in league one buoyed (is that the right one?) from promotion. We were effectively playing a pre season the first few games because of coming back from furlough after the rest of the league.

Gillingham at COA they had come of a run of 3 defeats I'd expect Mr Evans is not the most pleasant chap in the dressing room after a run of defeats and probably had his team fired up in addition combine that with our poor home form in hindsight the result was inevitable.

Gillingham away their previous 3 games were 2 losses and scraped to 1-0 win against Accy. We were much better but again Mr Angry would have had them going to the very last second which they did and they come away with a point.

Charlton away after 2 defeats they go in at half time 4-2 down at home. I bet their dressing room was an interesting place. They come out fired up and nearly go on to beat us.
So today's game against us they had just been beaten at home by Portsmouth. Going 4-2 down against Dale is fresh in the managers mind. Our players have the millstone of the atrocious home form around them. Their players don't want to be embarrassed again & today's result is what you get.

It seems teams on a poor run target the game with us as one to attempt to get back on track.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 19:28]

We struggle against teams on a good run.
We struggle against teams on an average run.
We struggle against teams on a poor run.
We struggle against teams who have just won.
We struggle against teams who have just drawn.
We struggle against teams who have just lost.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:13 - Feb 6 with 1606 views442Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:37 - Feb 6 by Thacks_Rabbits

When we win a game it’s despite BBM tactics and the team just playing well and clicking. The world and his dog knew we needed a left back, yet we persist in signing midfielders and strikers!

We obviously need a defensive midfielder playing to protect our back 4 and then allow Lund to play where he is most effective, a midfielder that breaks forward, and can dominate midfield.

Done and Dooley may have the odd good game but no other side in L1 would pick them, even Keith never bothered trying to get Done in the window which says a lot.

BBM won’t be sacked this season, even if we go down I have my doubts as the board will say he deserves a chance to get us back up. It’s like the Sutton days, he is too well liked by the board and with no fans present (which is what got Sutton sacked eventually) he will get away with it.

To me he is an ideal chief scout as he can spot a player but as a manager, his selections and style of play are frankly clueless.

Sutton lost the plot completely and it was clear the dressing room wasn’t a great place by witnessing the performances on the field, whilst at the same time he looked to move on players like Whitehall. One thing in BBM’s favour is there is little doubt that the squad and the backroom staff all have a similar focus and a togetherness, as witnessed by the way we keep going on a lot of games.

What is letting BBM down is his ability to identify issues in advance/quickly enough during games and rectify them. For example:

- someone properly shielding the defence when the opposition has a strong forward who will drop off and cause problems.

- inflexibility in formation: it was 4-3-3 for so long and now it’s 4-4-2 when sometimes it needs adaptations inbetween

- Lund might be scoring goals and can clearly operate in the final third, yet he can also do that effectively whilst playing ten yards deeper and joining the play rather than waiting for the play to join him.

- when bringing on subs it could lead to mixing things up a bit. Try and shift Baah onto the other flank for a while when Newby appeared for example.

- insisting that defensively we adopt a policy at set pieces that we aim to clear our lines. One touch should be the only touch, get it out and regroup.

It’s very tiresome that these easily identifiable things can’t be addressed and we continue to have to talk about them. That’s why BBM is under real pressure to get results in the Dons doubleheader over the next week, nothing else.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:15 - Feb 6 with 1596 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:37 - Feb 6 by since58

R u on bob hope ,if not you need some.

Nope that avenue of pleasure has been closed off to me. Any way as crazy as it seems I really believe our luck has been terrible this season. Whether it be injuries to key players, solutions to personnel issues not working out. Pinball in our box more likely to lead to a goal than pinball in the oppositions. (You know what I mean) Playing teams that have a point to prove at the wrong time. So far our only luck has really been the results of teams also in the relegation battle.

On the whole manager out thing if a new manager kept us up (BBM could still do that) The philosophy and style of play that gets some people so frustrated runs through the whole club so would we need to just rip up the whole plan and start entirely from scratch.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:17 - Feb 6 with 1594 viewssince58

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:03 - Feb 6 by Sandyman

According to the podcast prior to today's iFollow game, Lee Riley reckons they do watch games of our opponents before playing them. Make of that what you will after today's performance.

Who do they send to watch these games,?
Ray fookin charles.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:28 - Feb 6 with 1545 viewssince58

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:15 - Feb 6 by James1980

Nope that avenue of pleasure has been closed off to me. Any way as crazy as it seems I really believe our luck has been terrible this season. Whether it be injuries to key players, solutions to personnel issues not working out. Pinball in our box more likely to lead to a goal than pinball in the oppositions. (You know what I mean) Playing teams that have a point to prove at the wrong time. So far our only luck has really been the results of teams also in the relegation battle.

On the whole manager out thing if a new manager kept us up (BBM could still do that) The philosophy and style of play that gets some people so frustrated runs through the whole club so would we need to just rip up the whole plan and start entirely from scratch.

Open the cul de sac and keep dreaming.😀😀😀
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:32 - Feb 6 with 1523 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:03 - Feb 6 by Sandyman

So are our game plans wrong from the start, is the message not getting through to our players or do the opposition just execute their plans better than us?

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:38 - Feb 6 with 1489 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:32 - Feb 6 by James1980

So are our game plans wrong from the start, is the message not getting through to our players or do the opposition just execute their plans better than us?

Yes / it's the wrong message / Yes

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:47 - Feb 6 with 1449 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:28 - Feb 6 by since58

Open the cul de sac and keep dreaming.😀😀😀

I will presume you are referring to my suggestion we could still stay up with BBM in charge. You do realise changing the manager will not guarantee us staying up. It will guarantee a dent in the coffers through paying off his contract and getting in someone with the necessary experience to increase the odds of managing the team to survival compared to our current manger.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:01 - Feb 6 with 1396 viewssince58

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:47 - Feb 6 by James1980

I will presume you are referring to my suggestion we could still stay up with BBM in charge. You do realise changing the manager will not guarantee us staying up. It will guarantee a dent in the coffers through paying off his contract and getting in someone with the necessary experience to increase the odds of managing the team to survival compared to our current manger.

No. Get back back on the bob hope.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:02 - Feb 6 with 1391 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:38 - Feb 6 by D_Alien

Yes / it's the wrong message / Yes

To suggest (I know it wasn't you) we don't research the opposition is frankly nonsense. I'd say the problem is the team we are researching is not the one we are going to play. By that I mean a lot of teams come to The COA (btw in railway parlance that stands for Change of Aspect) with a very specific game plan for playing against Rochdale. But as has been allude to it is the coaching staff's job to spot that and make the necessary changes to adapt.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:04 - Feb 6 with 1377 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:15 - Feb 6 by James1980

Our current league position is absolutely zero percent down to luck James, its the insistence on continually doing the same things expecting a different result....
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:05 - Feb 6 with 1374 viewssooty_dale

Lose on Tuesday and I'm afraid he has to go. The home form is unacceptable. If we were able to make our feelings known at Spotland he'd have been gone ages ago.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:06 - Feb 6 with 1366 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:02 - Feb 6 by James1980

To suggest (I know it wasn't you) we don't research the opposition is frankly nonsense. I'd say the problem is the team we are researching is not the one we are going to play. By that I mean a lot of teams come to The COA (btw in railway parlance that stands for Change of Aspect) with a very specific game plan for playing against Rochdale. But as has been allude to it is the coaching staff's job to spot that and make the necessary changes to adapt.

In railway parlance, excuses for not starting games with energy and intent is "leaves on the line"

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:07 - Feb 6 with 1361 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:01 - Feb 6 by since58

No. Get back back on the bob hope.

Haven't touched the stuff for over 10 years

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:09 - Feb 6 with 1347 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:04 - Feb 6 by nordenblue

Our current league position is absolutely zero percent down to luck James, its the insistence on continually doing the same things expecting a different result....

Luck has kept us in this division for the previous 3 seasons of utter dross.

It will, eventually, run out.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:12 - Feb 6 with 1332 viewssince58

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:06 - Feb 6 by D_Alien

In railway parlance, excuses for not starting games with energy and intent is "leaves on the line"

No excuses for running out uf steam.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:13 - Feb 6 with 1321 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:12 - Feb 6 by since58

No excuses for running out uf steam.

There's only BBM who's chuffed with it

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:16 - Feb 6 with 1306 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:06 - Feb 6 by D_Alien

See the leaves on the line is a genuine reason for trains being delayed. Driver told me he was out with his DI (instructor) in leaf fall season driving a set of empties. He told him to start braking for a station at the point he would in normal conditions. Because the leaves reduce traction between the rails and wheels so much the train overshot the platform by the entire length of the train. Basically the leaves mean the trains are having to brake earlier leading to slight delays.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:18 - Feb 6 with 1291 views442Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:09 - Feb 6 by judd

Luck has kept us in this division for the previous 3 seasons of utter dross.

It will, eventually, run out.

This is something that seems to be overlooked within the club and it’s possibly the biggest worry. Talk of being “excited” and how we are making progress and developing is so far off the mark as the results have not and do not illustrate that. It’s always one step forward, two steps back and that’s gone on, as you say, over a concerted length of time.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:20 - Feb 6 with 1283 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:04 - Feb 6 by nordenblue

Considering we can't afford a squad with depth our injuries have been bad luck on their own.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 21:45]

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:23 - Feb 6 with 1269 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:16 - Feb 6 by James1980

See the leaves on the line is a genuine reason for trains being delayed. Driver told me he was out with his DI (instructor) in leaf fall season driving a set of empties. He told him to start braking for a station at the point he would in normal conditions. Because the leaves reduce traction between the rails and wheels so much the train overshot the platform by the entire length of the train. Basically the leaves mean the trains are having to brake earlier leading to slight delays.

And impossible to make up the time by going marginally faster between stations?

A perfect example of how to induce a negative mindset by concentrating only on one Aspect (see what i did there) of the overall journey

Apply that to BBM, and what he's doing is trying to play a brand of football that doesn't suit the type of game that leads to success in League One, whilst having no regard for the paying public (fans/passengers)

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:23 - Feb 6 with 1267 viewssince58

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:13 - Feb 6 by D_Alien

There's only BBM who's chuffed with it

Fookin puffin billy our defence is slower than the rockett.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:37 - Feb 6 with 1218 viewsSandyman

Shocked to find there is one team in this division with a worse home points tally than us! We visit them next weekend...

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england3
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024