Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton 20:20 - Feb 5 with 27908 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/54146/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 13:06 - Feb 7 with 2092 viewsJames1980

Regarding the criticism of the post match interview is it possible the coaching team know the personalities of the players better than any of us? That with 60 points still to play for that we need 26 of to maintain our league one status. That sending out a message of we're doomed is not going have the desired effect of being in league one next season.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 13:11]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 13:33 - Feb 7 with 2009 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 13:00 - Feb 7 by Yorkshire_Dale

Yes but are they games from the 1980's? That does n't count.

I suppose it does beg the question of how, during a pandemic, does the club get to watch upcoming opponents?

I thought scouts were not allowed to attend games.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 13:57 - Feb 7 with 1955 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 13:33 - Feb 7 by judd

I suppose it does beg the question of how, during a pandemic, does the club get to watch upcoming opponents?

All games are uploaded to some sort of portal, I believe.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 14:16 - Feb 7 with 1924 viewsDalenet

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 13:33 - Feb 7 by judd

I watched the Gills manager interviewed before our game in Kent and he said that he had travelled to watch us at Charlton and at Doncaster. So he was clearly able to justify travelling for work and was able to get a seat (or two in his case). If BBM or Lee Riley want to travel they can so it seems. And he didn't have a game on Tuesday.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 14:45 - Feb 7 with 1859 viewsNorthernDale

Most of us never expected anything from the Charlton game, if we are honest, but Tuesdays and Saturday's games are ones we must avoid a losing and possibly sneaking a win.

On Tuesday, I would drop Dooley and bring in either Keohane or Done at left back, Mcloughlin at right back and with Roberts operating in front of O'Connell and Osho or operating in effect five at the back, but would potentially the fullbacks to get forward.

This formation is controversial, but we need to stop conceding poor goals, because we must remember MK Dons have some decent strikers.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 16:47 - Feb 7 with 1656 viewsDelboy

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 09:55 - Feb 7 by funkkk

I know BBM has said he doesn’t look at the table but, honestly, he speaks like we’re in the top three.

‘The performance wasn’t as good as we have produced in the last five or six weeks’ - we’ve won one game in the last 6 weeks.

‘We’ve been in really good form and very happy with how we’ve been playing’ - see above.

‘That was disappointing, but the lads have been amazing over a long period of time now...’ - I give up!

You can’t fool the fans, Brian.

The most depressing thing after watching another abject home performance is reading BBM's comments. They imply that the problem yesterday was an unexpected dip in form against a strong opponent at a time when we have been playing so well. That fact in itself is patently not the case. His statement is troubling because it suggests that he has no plans to do anything different in upcoming games. His belief that nothing is fundamentally wrong and the fact that he is 'excited' by what he sees is staggering. He does not seem to recognise that other managers have sussed him and that now is the time that good coaches step upto the plate try to freshen things up try to catch teams out by showing some imagination and variety in approach.
Tuesdays game is critical taking us into a period of fixtures which without doubt will make or break us. It's now time for BBM to prove that he is not just a one trick pony and that he is upto the task because I for one am begining to doubt it.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 17:13]
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:10 - Feb 7 with 1601 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:16 - Feb 6 by James1980

See the leaves on the line is a genuine reason for trains being delayed. Driver told me he was out with his DI (instructor) in leaf fall season driving a set of empties. He told him to start braking for a station at the point he would in normal conditions. Because the leaves reduce traction between the rails and wheels so much the train overshot the platform by the entire length of the train. Basically the leaves mean the trains are having to brake earlier leading to slight delays.

Good explanation there Jimbo...thanks.

Now,what about this "wrong type of snow " on the lines jobby?
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:29 - Feb 7 with 1552 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 22:42 - Feb 6 by since58

More like headless chickens.

Headless or heedless, as in continuing to make the same errors?
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:57 - Feb 7 with 1503 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:10 - Feb 7 by Yorkshire_Dale

Good explanation there Jimbo...thanks.

Now,what about this "wrong type of snow " on the lines jobby?

Sorry YD not entirely sure. I know if ice forms on the third rail that can stop the train drawing electric. Also points can get frozen but these are usually heated these days. I recall hearing something about powdery snow causing problems to trains but not sure what that is.

Back to the football 17/18 season after 26 games we had 22 points
18/19 Season we had 30 points and 19/20 28 points at the 26 game point. So around the same number we have this season and we survived at the end of those seasons we can survive again. Although just being content with survival is particularly ambitious though.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:07 - Feb 7 with 1407 viewsfinberty

I watched the Wales - Ireland game and studied Peter O'Mahoney up until his rightful dismissal. I know it's the wrong sport, but O'Mahoney plays on the very edge as though his life depends upon it. He exudes a certain menace - not so much his physicality, but the facial demeanour and obvious relish for a physical battle.

Wouldn't it be grand if we had a character like that to give the opposition something to worry about - a cynical midfield boss who cared. What we actually have in there is the diminutive Ollie (easily dispossessed, as demonstrated yesterday), then young Baah, then a winger who does not take his man on nor put in fearsome tackles, and then another youngster who prefers to launch 40 yarders rather than get engaged in a spat. Lund we know is capable of mixing it, but where is the bite in this team? All teams in this division need it, and it is fanciful to continue to believe that pretty tippy happy cleverness is the route to safety. The table alone tells me that.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:21 - Feb 7 with 1369 viewsfinberty

On a similar note, there were comments commending the Charlton centre back who snuffed out Humps yesterday.

This was Jason Pearce - the same Jason Pearce who, when at Wigan, adeptly wound Hendo into red-mist infused red card. Experience, know-how and cynicism.

That's the kind of know-how you need. Where is ours?
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:34 - Feb 7 with 1321 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 22:22 - Feb 6 by Shun

Can't agree there, judd. As always, luck generally evens itself out over a whole season. We're in this league on merit and we've survived in it on merit.

The more I have thought of your view on merit, the more worried I have become.

To believe we merit our position without acknowledging the outrageous luck we have had is what will see us lose our merited league 1 place and take up a merited league 2 position.

We cannot ever legislate for teams being on negative points, experiencing almost calamitous financial turmoil or fortuitous pandemics.

We have not improved nor progressed on and off the field despite the raft of changes since the boardroom coup.

Staying as we are, we will not finish outside relegation in a normal 46 league game season, in my opinion.

Merit is Accrington. Good fortune is us.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:45 - Feb 7 with 1303 views442Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:21 - Feb 7 by finberty

On a similar note, there were comments commending the Charlton centre back who snuffed out Humps yesterday.

This was Jason Pearce - the same Jason Pearce who, when at Wigan, adeptly wound Hendo into red-mist infused red card. Experience, know-how and cynicism.

That's the kind of know-how you need. Where is ours?

Pearce was very good yesterday. And to think some people of the football variety thought Henderson was hard done to that day.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:13 - Feb 7 with 1241 viewssince58

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:29 - Feb 7 by Yorkshire_Dale

Headless or heedless, as in continuing to make the same errors?

Either way there cock ups.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 20:42 - Feb 7 with 1173 viewsblackdogblue

On the subject of BBM interviews... on twitter I see the links, one of the last time we lost at home watched the first 3 secs & he laughed, might have been an intro question or nerves but completely switched me off to them...

Really on the fence & it’s creaking.. lose on Tuesday & will be asking for some of u to contribute to a BBEXIT banner (TM) 😀 & will put it up myself on the concrete fence facing the main entrance..

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:48 - Feb 7 with 1104 viewsShun

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:34 - Feb 7 by judd

The more I have thought of your view on merit, the more worried I have become.

To believe we merit our position without acknowledging the outrageous luck we have had is what will see us lose our merited league 1 place and take up a merited league 2 position.

We cannot ever legislate for teams being on negative points, experiencing almost calamitous financial turmoil or fortuitous pandemics.

We have not improved nor progressed on and off the field despite the raft of changes since the boardroom coup.

Staying as we are, we will not finish outside relegation in a normal 46 league game season, in my opinion.

Merit is Accrington. Good fortune is us.

Still can’t agree, judd. We’ve only seen one team with a points deduction in our recent poor seasons, and even if that team hadn’t received such a deduction we still would’ve survived.

I don’t see how we’ve received outrageous luck in the slightest. We’ve had instances of good luck, and instances of bad luck, as all teams do every season. Last season we suffered the worst injury crisis I’ve known at Dale. Perhaps a heavy dose of bad luck, or perhaps poor planning by having such a small squad.

Either way, we survived. As we have done for the past few years. To suggest that’s solely down to outrageous luck rather than merit is, in my opinion, offensive to BBM and the squad.

‘Staying as we are, we will not finish outside relegation in a normal 46 game season’ - I don’t know how that opinion can be justified. Is this not a normal 46 game season? We’ve only been in the relegation zone for three days in this season and last so your opinion doesn’t add up.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 22:10 - Feb 7 with 1064 viewsEllDale

I sometimes ponder what our attendances may have slumped to in a “normal” season given our turgid home form and displays.
And how that might have stirred the board into having a word with the manager?
Statistically at the COA we’re rivalling 1973/74 at the moment but because there are no dissenting voices behind the dugout the club are literally in their own little bubble.
I have no doubt that boos would have been heard at halftime yesterday and probably midway through the Gillingham, Crewe and Wigan games.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 22:14 - Feb 7 with 1049 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 21:48 - Feb 7 by Shun

Still can’t agree, judd. We’ve only seen one team with a points deduction in our recent poor seasons, and even if that team hadn’t received such a deduction we still would’ve survived.

I don’t see how we’ve received outrageous luck in the slightest. We’ve had instances of good luck, and instances of bad luck, as all teams do every season. Last season we suffered the worst injury crisis I’ve known at Dale. Perhaps a heavy dose of bad luck, or perhaps poor planning by having such a small squad.

Either way, we survived. As we have done for the past few years. To suggest that’s solely down to outrageous luck rather than merit is, in my opinion, offensive to BBM and the squad.

‘Staying as we are, we will not finish outside relegation in a normal 46 game season’ - I don’t know how that opinion can be justified. Is this not a normal 46 game season? We’ve only been in the relegation zone for three days in this season and last so your opinion doesn’t add up.

Appreciate your response, Shun.

Bolton and Bury filled relegation spots we may have taken ourselves.

Wigan this season have almost had a similar effect.

The luck I refer to as outrageous include our win v Charlton and Oldham failing to score one more goal v Northampton, and sadly, the pandemic ending last season early.

Injury crisis when signing injury prone players?

This season is not normal at all. 1 win at home in all competitions?

That we have spent little time in the relegation zone thus far merits fook all. It's where we end up early May, and an inability to accelerate away from those staring at the vortex is the worry.

So, we have been lucky with the plight of bury and Bolton, and this season Wigan, for 4 points at least, and last season a mechanism at a point in time that allowed us to survive.

I aim no disrespect to BBM or his squads, but we will run out of luck.

Stay safe.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 22:36 - Feb 7 with 1006 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 22:14 - Feb 7 by judd

The luck I refer to as outrageous include our win v Charlton and Oldham failing to score one more goal v Northampton, and sadly, the pandemic ending last season early.

That we have spent little time in the relegation zone thus far merits fook all. It's where we end up early May, and an inability to accelerate away from those staring at the vortex is the worry.

So, we have been lucky with the plight of bury and Bolton, and this season Wigan, for 4 points at least, and last season a mechanism at a point in time that allowed us to survive.

Stay safe.

Although, Oldham got lucky that some twot ran on the pitch to remonstrate with the ref at Spotland, thereby putting off Joe Rafferty before his penalty. Or summat!

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 22:47 - Feb 7 with 976 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 22:36 - Feb 7 by TVOS1907

Although, Oldham got lucky that some twot ran on the pitch to remonstrate with the ref at Spotland, thereby putting off Joe Rafferty before his penalty. Or summat!

Wrong choice of penalty taker?

To add credence to my response to Shun, the Charlton win saw us start the day in a relegation position.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 22:49 - Feb 7 with 975 viewsdingdangblue

Yes we all know our home form is horrendous but away from home we are actually quite decent. Top 10 over the season so far.

https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 23:00 - Feb 7 with 958 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 22:47 - Feb 7 by judd

Wrong choice of penalty taker?

To add credence to my response to Shun, the Charlton win saw us start the day in a relegation position.

Definitely the wrong choice of taker. Annoyingly, our regular taker had managed to get himself a four-match suspension.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 23:05 - Feb 7 with 945 viewssince58

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 22:49 - Feb 7 by dingdangblue

Yes we all know our home form is horrendous but away from home we are actually quite decent. Top 10 over the season so far.

https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3

And ????
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 23:05 - Feb 7 with 944 viewsDelboy

Stay safe.

20 games left.
Our last 20 games have generated 5 wins 7draws and 8 losses.
If we replicate that in the remaining games we have to play we will only have a total of 48 points.
Which means we now need to improve our performance to retain our place in this league on merit. If we do not we will be relying on a large slice of luck as Judd feels we have had in the past.
I wish that I could feel more confident that we are capable of achieving the points needed to stay up on merit. The next few games this month will show without question whether we have what it takes.
Fingers Crossed !!
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 23:14 - Feb 7 with 922 viewsShun

Stay safe.

Apologies, I forgot about Bury.

I don’t see how our last-day victory over Charlton was lucky at all, similarly Oldham failing to score at Northampton. You could pick any loss out of the season and say we were unlucky that day, and that bad luck balances out the Charlton good luck and we still stay up. We stayed up that season because we were better than Oldham and the other three across 46 games. Luck had nothing to do with it.

We can be lucky over a single game and win a game we didn’t deserve to, but over a 46 game season? I’m not having that. We’ll get good luck and we’ll get bad luck - neither is enough to dictate our league position.

Our home form is disastrous but I don’t see how luck has anything to do with that. In so far as there are no teams on points deductions, this is a normal 46 game season, and we currently aren’t on course to be relegated.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024