Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton 20:20 - Feb 5 with 26145 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/54146/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:40 - Feb 6 with 2003 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:23 - Feb 6 by 442Dale

Would say Tuesday is the most important game of BBM’s managerial career so far, he has been able to recruit more players (LB apart) and another loss at home against a relegation rival would be a massive blow. He has some big decisions to make.

The biggest decision should be taken, out of BBMs hands
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:40 - Feb 6 with 1970 viewsShun

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:14 - Feb 6 by boromat

Well Charlton were very good I thought and that's why they are where they are in the table. Next run of games is the real test for us.

Think we got the line up all wrong. Baah against a very hard working side and Roberts backing him up at left back. Adding to that I thought McLaughlin really struggled against there left sided player.

Completely lost the battle in midfield where we seemed overloaded, I think Newby playing instead of Baah would have helped this.

Only positives were that all the new players were on the bench and those that made an appearance looked like they had quality about them. It was also good to see us have a strong bench with plenty of options meaning we could if required use all the subs.

Really important now the the new players settle in quickly and we pick up some points against those teams around us.

Re. the new players - I don't think Grant touched the ball at all did he? No fault of his own.

I liked the look of Vale though, he looked energetic and offensive. I think we need to start with him and Humphrys on Tuesday, as Lund looks absolutely wasted up front.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:43 - Feb 6 with 1948 viewsShun

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:23 - Feb 6 by 442Dale

Would say Tuesday is the most important game of BBM’s managerial career so far, he has been able to recruit more players (LB apart) and another loss at home against a relegation rival would be a massive blow. He has some big decisions to make.

I wouldn't even consider MK a relegation rival anymore. That's the scary thing, that as the season goes on the number of genuine relegation candidates reduces. They've been in some good form lately and there's a definite gap opening up between them (and Shrewsbury) and the rest of us. Plus they've signed well in the transfer window.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:43 - Feb 6 with 1973 viewsboromat

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:40 - Feb 6 by Shun

Re. the new players - I don't think Grant touched the ball at all did he? No fault of his own.

I liked the look of Vale though, he looked energetic and offensive. I think we need to start with him and Humphrys on Tuesday, as Lund looks absolutely wasted up front.

Grant looked tidy when he did get on the ball. He also tried a cute through ball under pressure but it didn't come off.

Vale looked energetic as you say and had some strength about him which was good to see.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:46 - Feb 6 with 1937 viewsboromat

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:43 - Feb 6 by Shun

I wouldn't even consider MK a relegation rival anymore. That's the scary thing, that as the season goes on the number of genuine relegation candidates reduces. They've been in some good form lately and there's a definite gap opening up between them (and Shrewsbury) and the rest of us. Plus they've signed well in the transfer window.

You say that but beat them and we're 3 points off them. I think beating MK would be a great result keeping as many teams involved for as long as possible.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:47 - Feb 6 with 1924 views442Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:43 - Feb 6 by Shun

It’s true about that gap, although if we did win we’re back within three points of them. It’s the psychological impact of not winning at home against a side we have to be beating to stay out of trouble.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:57 - Feb 6 with 1849 viewssince58

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:14 - Feb 6 by boromat

Well Charlton were very good I thought and that's why they are where they are in the table. Next run of games is the real test for us.

Think we got the line up all wrong. Baah against a very hard working side and Roberts backing him up at left back. Adding to that I thought McLaughlin really struggled against there left sided player.

Completely lost the battle in midfield where we seemed overloaded, I think Newby playing instead of Baah would have helped this.

Only positives were that all the new players were on the bench and those that made an appearance looked like they had quality about them. It was also good to see us have a strong bench with plenty of options meaning we could if required use all the subs.

Really important now the the new players settle in quickly and we pick up some points against those teams around us.

No. Charlton wer,nt very good ,we were just pathetic from start to finish and made them look much better than they actually are.
Disgraceful and shocking performance.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:01 - Feb 6 with 1813 viewsboromat

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:57 - Feb 6 by since58

No. Charlton wer,nt very good ,we were just pathetic from start to finish and made them look much better than they actually are.
Disgraceful and shocking performance.

6th place Charlton beating 18th placed Rochdale doesn't sound shocking and disgraceful to me. Throw in our home form and it's probably what the bookies would have predicted. The only thing a little out of the ordinary in recent weeks is both teams not scoring .

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:04 - Feb 6 with 1791 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:01 - Feb 6 by boromat

6th place Charlton beating 18th placed Rochdale doesn't sound shocking and disgraceful to me. Throw in our home form and it's probably what the bookies would have predicted. The only thing a little out of the ordinary in recent weeks is both teams not scoring .

since58 wasn't referring to the result, but the performance

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:13 - Feb 6 with 1719 viewsboromat

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:04 - Feb 6 by D_Alien

since58 wasn't referring to the result, but the performance

Even so seems a bit over the top to me.

Don't get me wrong we were never in that game it was a very poor performance but in this instance I think Charlton did a job on us. Done there homework and executed it to perfection.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:13 - Feb 6 with 1717 viewssince58

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:01 - Feb 6 by boromat

So the performance was totally acceptable.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:28 - Feb 6 with 1629 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:13 - Feb 6 by since58

Were they not just simply better than us? I'd be surprised if we could count on the fingers of one of Homer Simpson's hands how many of our players would get in Charlton's entire squad OK possibly a bit harsh. They did a number on us OK assisted by our sloppy passing and lack of effort but they still had to capitalise on that which they did all over the pitch.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:30 - Feb 6 with 1617 viewsalderleydale

Think you are wasting your time debating with a guy who clearly thinks the performance was acceptable. Time for BBM to go now he's just not up to it
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:33 - Feb 6 with 1586 viewsalderleydale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:40 - Feb 6 by nordenblue

The biggest decision should be taken, out of BBMs hands

Absolutely spot on.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:33 - Feb 6 with 1584 views442Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:28 - Feb 6 by James1980

Were they not just simply better than us? I'd be surprised if we could count on the fingers of one of Homer Simpson's hands how many of our players would get in Charlton's entire squad OK possibly a bit harsh. They did a number on us OK assisted by our sloppy passing and lack of effort but they still had to capitalise on that which they did all over the pitch.

Charlton were good however it’s now the time when we have to focus on ourselves almost exclusively. The manager has made additions to his squad and we expect and need more consistent results and unfortunately that was not only a bad result but a very poor performance. Irrespective of what the opposition did, our players were well short of what would be expected. It has to be better than that.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:36 - Feb 6 with 1563 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:13 - Feb 6 by boromat

Don't get me wrong we were never in that game it was a very poor performance but in this instance I think Charlton did a job on us. Done there homework and executed it to perfection.

You don't have to do anything to perfection to win at Spotland, just press and do the basics correct and its nailed on.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:36 - Feb 6 with 1567 viewsHopwoodblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:13 - Feb 6 by boromat

We also could have done our homework but we never seem to.
It seems we don’t know how teams are going to set up or play until
the game is under way.
Has BBM actually got the facility to watch our opponents previous games on ?
It’s would appear he’s busking his was through games.
Trouble is by the time he’s worked it out the games already lost.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:44 - Feb 6 with 1519 viewsboromat

"Don't get me wrong we were never in that game it was a very poor performance"

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:45 - Feb 6 with 1508 viewsboromat

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:30 - Feb 6 by alderleydale

Think you are wasting your time debating with a guy who clearly thinks the performance was acceptable. Time for BBM to go now he's just not up to it

"Don't get me wrong we were never in that game it was a very poor performance"

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:56 - Feb 6 with 1452 viewsEllDale

Disappointing is the word that I would use.
We have no width whatsoever. Baah is right footed playing on the left so his sole objective is to cut inside and shoot and Roberts isn’t programmed to get to the byline.
McLaughlin got into some interesting positions but his final ball wasn’t always the best. No-one else tries to get down the right.
Felt sorry for Lund as well, asked to play the Peter Vincenti outlet role. His frustration saw him become petulant at times.
I’ll repeat myself in saying in that losing to the likes of Charlton isn’t necessarily a disgrace.
But dropping points at home to Bristol Rovers, Wimbledon, Northampton, Wigan and Crewe was scandalous and could prove to be crucial in the final analysis.
I dread home games now, it’s getting almost masochistic watching them.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:02 - Feb 6 with 1432 viewssince58

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 18:28 - Feb 6 by James1980

Lack of effort.End of.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:27 - Feb 6 with 1316 viewsJames1980

I have a theory that we have played a number of teams at the wrong time. I am going to use Swindon, Gillingham and Charlton as examples.
Swindon first game of the season in league one buoyed (is that the right one?) from promotion. We were effectively playing a pre season the first few games because of coming back from furlough after the rest of the league.

Gillingham at COA they had come of a run of 3 defeats I'd expect Mr Evans is not the most pleasant chap in the dressing room after a run of defeats and probably had his team fired up in addition combine that with our poor home form in hindsight the result was inevitable.

Gillingham away their previous 3 games were 2 losses and scraped to 1-0 win against Accy. We were much better but again Mr Angry would have had them going to the very last second which they did and they come away with a point.

Charlton away after 2 defeats they go in at half time 4-2 down at home. I bet their dressing room was an interesting place. They come out fired up and nearly go on to beat us.
So today's game against us they had just been beaten at home by Portsmouth. Going 4-2 down against Dale is fresh in the managers mind. Our players have the millstone of the atrocious home form around them. Their players don't want to be embarrassed again & today's result is what you get.

It seems teams on a poor run target the game with us as one to attempt to get back on track.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2021 19:28]

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:30 - Feb 6 with 1294 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:05 - Feb 6 by Sandyman

One win in all 17 home games.
9 points out of a possible 39 in League home games. P13 W1 D6 L6. Horrendous form.

Hard facts that hurt.....what will change though? Nowt I fear.

"we've been in good form".........."rocked by the early goal" "the lads have been amazing over a long period of time"

Not what these figures suggest Brian lad?
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:30 - Feb 6 with 1293 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 10:27 - Feb 6 by Huddersdale1

Preview doesn't mention Millar, their winger on loan from Liverpool, who my Charlton supporting mate says is a very good player and could cause us problems. He plays on the left, but is right footed.

Given man of the match by the footy app I have on my phone FotMob.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 19:37 - Feb 6 with 1244 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Charlton on 17:16 - Feb 6 by NorthernDale

I suspect the after match comments from BBM will be the same old rubbish,......'we were poor in the first half, but got into the game in the second........I feel sorry for the players after the effort in they put in.......they are developing as a team...........defensively we were not as good as we can be.............defensively we are getting better.

Or am I being cynical?

1 win at home all season is shocking and I do not expect to win at home anymore, even if we were playing a girls under 10 team. I have zero faith in BBM, his tactics and team selections.

When we win a game it’s despite BBM tactics and the team just playing well and clicking. The world and his dog knew we needed a left back, yet we persist in signing midfielders and strikers!

We obviously need a defensive midfielder playing to protect our back 4 and then allow Lund to play where he is most effective, a midfielder that breaks forward, and can dominate midfield.

Done and Dooley may have the odd good game but no other side in L1 would pick them, even Keith never bothered trying to get Done in the window which says a lot.

BBM won’t be sacked this season, even if we go down I have my doubts as the board will say he deserves a chance to get us back up. It’s like the Sutton days, he is too well liked by the board and with no fans present (which is what got Sutton sacked eventually) he will get away with it.

To me he is an ideal chief scout as he can spot a player but as a manager, his selections and style of play are frankly clueless.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024