Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes 22:20 - Feb 8 with 48410 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/54177/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:20 - Feb 10 with 2309 viewsTomRAFC

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 10:56 - Feb 10 by fitzochris

There is a danger with all this that legend takes over from fact.

I didn't say BBM should be sacked in blunt terms, as I've started to see people suggest. I said I'd reached a point, after witnessing the game last night, where I had decided he couldn't turn it around and I feared the board may feel the same way. That's it. I also made it clear that I don't like seeing any Dale manager fail to succeed, especially the likable ones.

In return, my 'journaling' was branded as mediocre (could be a fair point), passive aggressive (very unfair) and my status as a fan was called into question (very strange and, yes, unfair).

So again, I totally understand why Sarah-Jane felt the need to defend her partner - and points raised on here about us all doing the same are valid - I just feel she expressed it in the wrong way and possibly at the wrong person.

But no ill will. It's done. On to AFC Wimbledon.

Very fairly put, Chris.

Anything you wished to say was entirely valid, whether people agree or disagree. She is more than entitled to disagree but there was a feeling of barbs being directed at the most prominent source of Dale news, rather than directed at those who were being very brutal.

You handled it very proffesionally. I don't think most people would have been so calm if their fanship was publicly called into question.

I can't imagine the level of worry she must be going through, but she probably hasn't done herself or BBM any favours in the way she expressed that worry.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 11:50]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:21 - Feb 10 with 2298 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:12 - Feb 10 by JimmyRustler

Is there anything else other than the two replies that she sent?

If that’s it then i think the only thing that’s getting blown out of proportion is her response. It was reactionary and nothing more (which it would be, as she was pissed off). She didn’t really attack you and she didn’t use any inflammatory language etc. I would have thought that being a long time Twitter journalist would mean that you’ve developed a thicker skin than to stop reporting on something you love because someone simply thinks you’re not up to it and that you’re an “armchair” fan.

Applying the thin skull rule, if her response really has got to you then fair play. Who am I to really question that? But I’ve seen you take worse than that on here and you’re still going strong.

You didn’t do anything wrong and her response was hardly OTT. Why punish yourself?
[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 11:19]

There were more than two tweets and I recall the word "shite" being used too - but to get into this again just keeps the whole thing going and I'd rather not.

You're right about the skin density too. I am thick skinned and have taken a total walloping on here, there and everywhere. I can take it. As I said in my rambling Twitter resignation, or whatever it was, if this was my full-time permanent job, I'd wear it and wear it well.

But it isn't. A lot has gone on behind the scenes - no skulduggery, just more of a gradual feeling of resentment that has built up - and this, allied to my family life and 'proper job' has made me realise it's probably a bit too much to take on and I need take a step back.

I think you've hit the nail on the head when you refer to it being something I love too - I don't know if it is anymore. I was only ever going to do this for a year anyway, but I've decided now is a good jumping off point and I'll just get on with watching the team as a supporter and having a supporter's opinion.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:34 - Feb 10 with 2215 viewsfunkkk

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 10:43 - Feb 10 by sweetcorn

If someone posted on social media that your missus should be sacked I'd imagine you'd jump to their defence, whether you thought they'd "crossed a line" or not, as they are your loved ones and it's a natural instinct to defend them against anyone you see calling them out.

Not sure why footballers and people involved with footballers are held to a different standard to others, they are after all human. I saw nothing wrong with what she posted last night, no lines were really crossed by her either, so not sure why she's getting so much shit on here.

It’s 2021, my missus neither needs or wants me to fight her battles for her.

I don’t really want to rumble on and on with this so all I’ll say is:

Whether we like it or not footballers / football managers are held to a different standard, like most people in the public eye. Imagine if Boris Johnson’s missus called out everyone who attacked him on Twitter, it’d be a full time job.

As long as comments are fair I think turning a debate personal is poor form.

I’d be surprised if BBM was impressed or appreciative when he found out.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 11:39]
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:49 - Feb 10 with 2122 viewsjonahwhereru

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 10:34 - Feb 10 by fitzochris

Hah! You're right about the ego, JR, but only in that I didn't want anyone to think I'd missed a signing, so I've got in there first :)

It's no big drama. I've said my bit on that thread. Last night made me realise it's stopped being fun, that's all. I want to enjoy football again (yes, I know, I know).

I don't want any ill feeling towards Sarah-Jane either - as I said to her last night, I know why she's defending BBM and it's natural. I agree she probably picked the worst person to vent on, as my opinion was backed by stats, facts and tinged with regret.

She said some outrageous things, too. I mean, I don't even own an armchair. Seriously though, there was a hint in her tweets that I'd perhaps caused some prolonged annoyance in the BBM household and that's not cool.

Anyway, going forward, I'll just stick to being annoyingly opinionated on here as per usual.

Fitz we are downsizing and have a couple of belting armchairs you can have. I’ll put them by for you, until you can pop down and pick them up. I live In Southend by the way!!!
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:50 - Feb 10 with 2121 viewsbazingadale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:34 - Feb 10 by funkkk

It’s 2021, my missus neither needs or wants me to fight her battles for her.

I don’t really want to rumble on and on with this so all I’ll say is:

Whether we like it or not footballers / football managers are held to a different standard, like most people in the public eye. Imagine if Boris Johnson’s missus called out everyone who attacked him on Twitter, it’d be a full time job.

As long as comments are fair I think turning a debate personal is poor form.

I’d be surprised if BBM was impressed or appreciative when he found out.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 11:39]

From my understanding BBM isn't on any social media but I could be wrong there. So if his partner is and sees him being criticised she is well within her right to say what she wants to people calling BBM out. If people are putting their thoughts and opinions out on to social media and in the public domain, they can't really start crying when people disagree and defend the other party
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:54 - Feb 10 with 2092 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 09:36 - Feb 10 by Shun

I wouldn't say she's bitter and twisted. She's a new mother who's anxious about her partner losing his job. Clearly she's not a 'football person' but how would you react if all over social media you saw people saying your partner needs to be sacked? I'm not excusing her conduct last night (although she didn't say anything as heinous as is being made out, let's be honest), but let's not castigate her.

I certainly wouldn't react and respond in the way she did regardless of circumstance, id bet a penny to a pound that neither of them are too worried financially regarding the prospect either.

Whilst being clearly happy with all the media attention and loving my face in glossy magazines, while my partner had underperformed to the level as BBM is id fully expect the response he's currently witnessing, it really shouldn't come as a surprise to either of them, to be fair to BBM he's had a very comfy ride so far and given plenty of slack too considering the absolute shite dished up far too regularly, he'd have had a far worse ride had there been crowds allowed in.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:59 - Feb 10 with 2067 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 10:07 - Feb 10 by bazingadale

I'm sorry but if you saw your partner taking a bashing on social media you would naturally want to leap to their defence. Its a natural instinct.
To label somebody bitter and twisted for that is out of order. She is clearly defending her partner and the father of her child. Maybe she targeted the wrong individual as there was a lot worse being said by other people last night. But she's going to back her partner, like we all would in the same situation, unless you'd be happy to sit there and watch a loved one be slated by strangers on the Internet?

I wouldn't get involved, she's shown herself up and her critism of Fitz is massively misplaced, when in the public eye if she wants to shout her mouth off when she feels a bit pissed off id guess social media probably isn't for her, but then she wouldn't get all the attention these platform's provide for all the folk that desperately crave it.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:01 - Feb 10 with 2063 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:49 - Feb 10 by jonahwhereru

Fitz we are downsizing and have a couple of belting armchairs you can have. I’ll put them by for you, until you can pop down and pick them up. I live In Southend by the way!!!

Hah. Can I give my opinion on both of them and be a true armchair critic?

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:04 - Feb 10 with 2052 viewsMass_Debater

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:50 - Feb 10 by bazingadale

From my understanding BBM isn't on any social media but I could be wrong there. So if his partner is and sees him being criticised she is well within her right to say what she wants to people calling BBM out. If people are putting their thoughts and opinions out on to social media and in the public domain, they can't really start crying when people disagree and defend the other party

In that case, Hill's missus is looking for you
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:16 - Feb 10 with 1999 viewsroccydaleian

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:54 - Feb 10 by nordenblue

I certainly wouldn't react and respond in the way she did regardless of circumstance, id bet a penny to a pound that neither of them are too worried financially regarding the prospect either.

Whilst being clearly happy with all the media attention and loving my face in glossy magazines, while my partner had underperformed to the level as BBM is id fully expect the response he's currently witnessing, it really shouldn't come as a surprise to either of them, to be fair to BBM he's had a very comfy ride so far and given plenty of slack too considering the absolute shite dished up far too regularly, he'd have had a far worse ride had there been crowds allowed in.

The crowds thing is a very good point, I think by now it could have gotten quite ugly on the terraces. Going on to Fitzo, I also think BBM’s partner was out of order, not for understandingly supporting BBM, but to question Fitzo’s Dale support was uncalled for. Like some people have said, some people on here and on Twitter hold Fitzo in high esteem, so by now concluding his tenure might be up , maybe she might think he’s influencing people to turn against BBM, so Fitzo copped for it.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:21 - Feb 10 with 1965 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:21 - Feb 10 by fitzochris

There were more than two tweets and I recall the word "shite" being used too - but to get into this again just keeps the whole thing going and I'd rather not.

You're right about the skin density too. I am thick skinned and have taken a total walloping on here, there and everywhere. I can take it. As I said in my rambling Twitter resignation, or whatever it was, if this was my full-time permanent job, I'd wear it and wear it well.

But it isn't. A lot has gone on behind the scenes - no skulduggery, just more of a gradual feeling of resentment that has built up - and this, allied to my family life and 'proper job' has made me realise it's probably a bit too much to take on and I need take a step back.

I think you've hit the nail on the head when you refer to it being something I love too - I don't know if it is anymore. I was only ever going to do this for a year anyway, but I've decided now is a good jumping off point and I'll just get on with watching the team as a supporter and having a supporter's opinion.

Is this all to do with Baah going to City? Were you the 1st to leak their interest? Humphrys has said this week how protective BBM is of Baah and if City wanted the pre contract agreement keeping quiet maybe its not gone down well?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:26 - Feb 10 with 1955 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:21 - Feb 10 by dingdangblue

Is this all to do with Baah going to City? Were you the 1st to leak their interest? Humphrys has said this week how protective BBM is of Baah and if City wanted the pre contract agreement keeping quiet maybe its not gone down well?

Well, if you recall, both BBM and his partner announced Baah's move to City rather publicly too.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:32 - Feb 10 with 1929 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:26 - Feb 10 by fitzochris

Well, if you recall, both BBM and his partner announced Baah's move to City rather publicly too.

No I know that - who broke the City interest 1st?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:34 - Feb 10 with 1917 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:32 - Feb 10 by dingdangblue

No I know that - who broke the City interest 1st?

I'm not sure. I think it was the Telegraph. I think they got wind of it the same way I did, but I'm not entirely sure.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:42 - Feb 10 with 1868 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 12:34 - Feb 10 by fitzochris

I'm not sure. I think it was the Telegraph. I think they got wind of it the same way I did, but I'm not entirely sure.

It appears that no watertight agreement had been reached and journalists report news items that become apparent to them.

It's hardly a breach of national security.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 13:04 - Feb 10 with 1765 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:05 - Feb 10 by tony_roch975

to be honest Chris, as someone else who likes using language which is more subtle and less anglo-saxon, I can see how 'where I had decided he couldn't turn it around and I feared the board may feel the same way' can certainly be read as saying he should be sacked. The weakness of social media is it encourages a 'human' dialogue without the human 'constraints' of face-to-face empathy (but that's just my world view).

It's hardly a world view, tr, more of a cliche masquerading as a truism

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 13:25 - Feb 10 with 1687 viewsD_Alien

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56009305

So, we have mainstream media pronouncements on the matter now, which is all to the good. Things are better out in the open, and what runs through his defence of his position is very much the idea that he's working to a philosophy rather than the practicalities of the bottom end of L1

There's no mention of fans, or the lack of them in the stadium. An interesting stat was put up on MOTD last week, to the effect that for the time the Premier League has been running, the average percentage of away wins was 41% but since fan restrictions have been in place, that average has shot up to 59%

That trend is all too familiar to Dale fans, but i just feel we're being even further distanced from the core of the club, which is to provide a sporting entertainment. Once the club (any club) deviates from that basic principle, they're on very shaky ground

This becomes too much about an individual manager and when it starts to involve his loved ones its gone too far (no-one's fault who posts on here)

So - the question that remains in my view is whether the financial model which appears to be leading the club down this particular path is one we wish to support. Any new manager would presumably have to follow along the same lines. Is it possible to do that whilst producing a more consistently effective match formula, keeping us away from the drop zone where we can't continue hovering indefinitely?

Since KH deviated from his original "no fear" approach after the first couple of seasons back in L1 after the 2014 promotion, that's where things started going downhill, as has been pointed out by judd among others. We've had some great moments in that time, especially during cup runs; is this the end of the line for us? Or could another personality maintain the same approach but with greater success?

[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 13:29]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 13:52 - Feb 10 with 1561 viewsjudd

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 13:25 - Feb 10 by D_Alien

So, we have mainstream media pronouncements on the matter now, which is all to the good. Things are better out in the open, and what runs through his defence of his position is very much the idea that he's working to a philosophy rather than the practicalities of the bottom end of L1

There's no mention of fans, or the lack of them in the stadium. An interesting stat was put up on MOTD last week, to the effect that for the time the Premier League has been running, the average percentage of away wins was 41% but since fan restrictions have been in place, that average has shot up to 59%

That trend is all too familiar to Dale fans, but i just feel we're being even further distanced from the core of the club, which is to provide a sporting entertainment. Once the club (any club) deviates from that basic principle, they're on very shaky ground

This becomes too much about an individual manager and when it starts to involve his loved ones its gone too far (no-one's fault who posts on here)

So - the question that remains in my view is whether the financial model which appears to be leading the club down this particular path is one we wish to support. Any new manager would presumably have to follow along the same lines. Is it possible to do that whilst producing a more consistently effective match formula, keeping us away from the drop zone where we can't continue hovering indefinitely?

Since KH deviated from his original "no fear" approach after the first couple of seasons back in L1 after the 2014 promotion, that's where things started going downhill, as has been pointed out by judd among others. We've had some great moments in that time, especially during cup runs; is this the end of the line for us? Or could another personality maintain the same approach but with greater success?

Some very keen observations there.

I fully admire his tenacity and focus on the job and wanting to prove people wrong, which I can only assume are those who think we will be relegated.

Perhaps he is absolutely right - those fearing relegation are knee jerking and far too soon in any case.

But, taking D_Aliens excellent point about sporting entertainment, its has gone on for too long now, and the philosophy does not deliver an enjoyable spectacle. Rochdale are forever the underdogs, giving our competitors a bloody nose or sore shins is what we've been about forever.

Last season, Rotherham at home, Newcastle when he made the changes early doors and half time (I think), delivered magical - if rare- moments of pure joy. He can mix it up and get the rewards his undoubted work ethics and the wants of the supporters deserve. ( I'm only talking home games for the sake of this particular observation.)

Sadly, at the moment, if the choice for entertainment is Spotland or Joanna Lumley visiting a tweed weavers in the Outer Hebrides on TV, the latter wins hands down.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 13:57 - Feb 10 with 1549 viewsDalenet

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 13:52 - Feb 10 by judd

Some very keen observations there.

I fully admire his tenacity and focus on the job and wanting to prove people wrong, which I can only assume are those who think we will be relegated.

Perhaps he is absolutely right - those fearing relegation are knee jerking and far too soon in any case.

But, taking D_Aliens excellent point about sporting entertainment, its has gone on for too long now, and the philosophy does not deliver an enjoyable spectacle. Rochdale are forever the underdogs, giving our competitors a bloody nose or sore shins is what we've been about forever.

Last season, Rotherham at home, Newcastle when he made the changes early doors and half time (I think), delivered magical - if rare- moments of pure joy. He can mix it up and get the rewards his undoubted work ethics and the wants of the supporters deserve. ( I'm only talking home games for the sake of this particular observation.)

Sadly, at the moment, if the choice for entertainment is Spotland or Joanna Lumley visiting a tweed weavers in the Outer Hebrides on TV, the latter wins hands down.

Is she on this Saturday afternoon?
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 13:59 - Feb 10 with 1542 viewstony_roch975

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 13:04 - Feb 10 by D_Alien

It's hardly a world view, tr, more of a cliche masquerading as a truism

not sure if your comment relates to a thread about professional football, seems to be more about semantics, but which bit is the cliche in your opinion - Chris' critique of BBM or that social media discourages sympathy?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 14:04 - Feb 10 with 1517 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 11:50 - Feb 10 by bazingadale

Who is 'crying' in this scenario?

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 14:04 - Feb 10 with 1514 viewstony_roch975

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 13:25 - Feb 10 by D_Alien

yes, it's that same dilemma about the Dale philosophy which James and I discussed earlier - so do we want entertainment or results; are they inseparable - arguably that's what Hill's early years delivered; do we want an Academy based business plan or to employ weathered lower/non league players into a 'robust' playing style - is it down to your world view!?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 14:07 - Feb 10 with 1500 viewselectricblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 10:03 - Feb 10 by bazingadale

Hill wasn't a one off though was he?
Plenty of managers have been given jobs within football with little to no experience and had huge impacts and gone on to have good careers so that's not really a valid point

Really..
He was a huge gamble in my eyes the day he was appointed manager.......

And yes it was a one off for Dale that worked...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 14:11 - Feb 10 with 1489 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 14:04 - Feb 10 by tony_roch975

yes, it's that same dilemma about the Dale philosophy which James and I discussed earlier - so do we want entertainment or results; are they inseparable - arguably that's what Hill's early years delivered; do we want an Academy based business plan or to employ weathered lower/non league players into a 'robust' playing style - is it down to your world view!?

But if the point is to develop players to sell with little to no significance placed on results, why bother bringing in loan players that we can't make money on? Why bother giving contracts to the likes of McShane and McNulty and Lonergan? We might as well take a punt on a youngster without a club in the hope that they become the next Kwadwo Baah if the results are of no significance anyway.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 14:13 - Feb 10 with 1481 viewsbazingadale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Milton Keynes on 14:04 - Feb 10 by AtThePeake

Who is 'crying' in this scenario?

It's just a general overview rather than referencing anybody in particular.
If somebody chooses to express an opinion then you need to be prepared for people to disagree with you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024