Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oldham 11:27 - Apr 23 with 11413 viewsEllDale

The Daily Mirror is claiming today that they owe £882k to HMRC, £300k to the EFL, £100k to energy companies and another million pounds to other sundry creditors.
Simply unsustainable.
Oh, and another £400k to former owner Simon Blitz who may have to whistle for his money even though he still owns the North Stand at Boundary Park…..
[Post edited 23 Apr 2022 11:29]
Oldham on 11:30 - Apr 23 with 8418 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Must be true if the Mirror says so.
Oldham on 11:55 - Apr 23 with 8336 viewsSuddenLad

It's a bit more than 'whether the Mirror says so', it's a story that has had legs for some time and which I first picked up when they had s fire in their hospitality lounge/suite.. There have been rumours for well over 12 months that Oldham are a financial basket case, though the numbers quoted have always varied.

There's no reason to dispute what the Mirror says, but every reason to think that the financial situation is beyond rescue.

Even some Oldham fans seem to think that liquidation is a serious possibility, whether they are relegated or not.

The levels of debt are eye-watering and crippling. Time will tell.

Even the players are unsure of what's going on. One of my friends texted a player (a friend of his) and asked whether he would be fit for the game on Saturday, (today).

The reply was ' You'll have to ask the club' . Very odd. Some suggestion that if he plays another game, bonuses are due, so he is 'injured'. All a bit of a mystery. All very sad.

The feelings towards current and ex-board members is as hostile as you could imagine. It's been a long decline for Oldham. Can they survive? I'm not sure they can.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2022 11:57]

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Oldham on 12:07 - Apr 23 with 8294 viewskel

Changing the subject slightly, I’ve just had a nosy at their forum and one of them seems more concerned with how many tickets Salford have sold rather than the game that could potentially relegate them.

Odd bunch.
Oldham on 13:20 - Apr 23 with 8144 viewsNorthernDale

I would take the article in the Mirrior with a pinch of salt, it may be true, which in the Mirrors case would be a first, but it is like the M.E.N who printed the lies of Curran, Jarvis and Morton House that we owe thousand to the HMRC and was in such financial position we would not survive the season, despite evidence to the contrary.

I would say that Oldham's debts of around £2.5 million is the norm at our level, I know that Oldham have two young players in Vaughan and Couto they are likely to sell in the summer. An example of the debts at our level is Carlisle, I believe the latest accounts reveal that they owe £3.16 million, which puts Oldham's debts in perspective.

Rochdale accounts will no doubt reveal a debt his, which is in part to the pandemic and the fact we got relegated, but our business model of developing and selling players as meant that over the last few years we have generally either broke even or made a slight profit. We are often mocked as little old Rochdale, in that we get small gates, rarely spend big money on fees and always seek to operate within a tight budget. But I believe that we are one of the few teams not to get placed in administration (hopefully this proud fact will continue). No doubt if the shysters had succeed, we would be heading the way of Bury and Macclesfield.
Oldham on 13:32 - Apr 23 with 8111 viewsEllDale

I found slightly strange that these figures were included in an interview with Keith Curle who was moaning that his were tied as a manager because of the state of the club’s finances.
Yes, the same Keith Curle, who when in charge issued a statement defending the owners.
Oldham on 11:33 - Apr 24 with 7470 viewsgriff

That’s about right for our debt at Carlisle. About £2.5m is owed to Philip Day of Edinburgh Woollen Mills fame, and he seems to want his money back very soon. We could be in the clarts in the closed season. Alternatively, Man/ewe could sell Dean Henderson for a decent wedge, we get our cut and it’s all paid off. It’s like walking a tightrope in the lower leagues where our whole future could come down to a boardroom decision in Manchester.
Oldham on 12:12 - Apr 24 with 7384 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Oldham on 11:33 - Apr 24 by griff

That’s about right for our debt at Carlisle. About £2.5m is owed to Philip Day of Edinburgh Woollen Mills fame, and he seems to want his money back very soon. We could be in the clarts in the closed season. Alternatively, Man/ewe could sell Dean Henderson for a decent wedge, we get our cut and it’s all paid off. It’s like walking a tightrope in the lower leagues where our whole future could come down to a boardroom decision in Manchester.

Griffo....are you an Ian Anderson fan?
Oldham on 12:17 - Apr 24 with 7358 viewsNorthernDale

Griff, you are 100% right and it as been the same for many years, people sometimes criticise the board at the Dale for not spending money on higher budgets or transfer fees. The issue is if you do you take a chance on spending more and success and if you fail, you put the club at risk, but on the flip side, if you are over cautious with the money you can get relegated. So that is why I have respect for the present board at the Dale at the moment, in that they have managed to walk the tight rope with a degree of success so far.

Some people have suggested going back to a Division North and South, by combining the conference and league 2, but is this the answer or not? To be honest, I am unsure how to make lower league football more financially secure and stable.
Login to get fewer ads

Oldham on 12:36 - Apr 24 with 7297 viewsgriff

Oldham on 12:12 - Apr 24 by Yorkshire_Dale

Griffo....are you an Ian Anderson fan?

Of course, I’ve always liked a bit of Prog. Back in the day it was Jethro Tull, Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, ELP, King Crimson and the like. Then a former punk who Kel and I know accused me of liking anything featuring a one-legged flautist so I adopted the avatar.
Oldham on 12:52 - Apr 24 with 7250 views49thseason

Oldham on 12:17 - Apr 24 by NorthernDale

Griff, you are 100% right and it as been the same for many years, people sometimes criticise the board at the Dale for not spending money on higher budgets or transfer fees. The issue is if you do you take a chance on spending more and success and if you fail, you put the club at risk, but on the flip side, if you are over cautious with the money you can get relegated. So that is why I have respect for the present board at the Dale at the moment, in that they have managed to walk the tight rope with a degree of success so far.

Some people have suggested going back to a Division North and South, by combining the conference and league 2, but is this the answer or not? To be honest, I am unsure how to make lower league football more financially secure and stable.

You have raised an important point Northern, its the legacy clubs that have the greatest problems.. often based in areas where expansion is impossible which in turn creates difficulties for the development of other strands of income generation.
The global upsurge in football has all but left these clubs behind and the gap between legacy clubs and the more nimble newcomers will only continue to grow.

Dale need to move away from Spotland to somewhere like Kingsway, with room to build facilities that can have much wider useage, with plentiful parking an excellent transport links. These things need a Council that is genuinely interested and which recognises that a League Football Club really does put a town on the map globally.
Its time to put an end to make-do and mend and start a genuine community-value attitude to the club, even Stewart Day recognised this basic truth as have dozens of other clubs From Forest Green to Everton.

A new Stadium, and a new start would attract new fans and multiple usage would create new income streams, new jobs and new opportunities. If not Kingsway, maybe its time to cover a few acres of the Turners site with a couple of metres of soil and concrete and build there.
Oldham on 13:04 - Apr 24 with 7226 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Oldham on 12:36 - Apr 24 by griff

Of course, I’ve always liked a bit of Prog. Back in the day it was Jethro Tull, Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, ELP, King Crimson and the like. Then a former punk who Kel and I know accused me of liking anything featuring a one-legged flautist so I adopted the avatar.

Man after my own heart.......there's a sampler album from 1969 "Nice enough to eat" which features similar stuff Fairport Convention, Mott, Spooky Tooth,Nick Drake....etc......readily available on You Tube.

Well worth a listen, IF you aint heard of it?
Oldham on 13:43 - Apr 24 with 7129 viewsgriff

Oldham on 13:04 - Apr 24 by Yorkshire_Dale

Man after my own heart.......there's a sampler album from 1969 "Nice enough to eat" which features similar stuff Fairport Convention, Mott, Spooky Tooth,Nick Drake....etc......readily available on You Tube.

Funnily enough YD I had a similar album that I picked up in Germany as a lad in about 1970 called “London Pop News” featuring most of the same artists. Look it up, I reckon I bought it because of the cover!
Oldham on 14:56 - Apr 24 with 6991 viewsTomRAFC

Oldham on 13:04 - Apr 24 by Yorkshire_Dale

You're a man after my own heart yourself. Nick Drake/Fairport (particularly Richard Thompson's work to this day) are heroes of mine. They've taken up years of learning the guitar.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Oldham on 18:55 - Apr 24 with 6638 views49thseason

There were a few sampler records around the end of the 60's early 70's . I bought "You can all join in " , thinking about it I think they were all released by Island and were a way to get some of their lesser known artists alongside some of the better known ones (Tull, Traffic and Fairport). Fairport did "Meet on the Ledge" and Spencer Davis did "Somebody help me ". They were good value at the time. One of the groups featured was Nirvana (the British band not the Americans) sued the Cobain group and were awarded damages for having their name nicked! John Martyn went on to have a decent career too, whatever happened to Winder K Frog?
The first sampler one I bought was "The Rock Machine Turns you on" By CBS records and first released in the US with Zombies, Cohen, Simon and Garfunkel Byrds, Taj Mahal , BS&T and even Bob Dylan! Wiki says it cost 14/11d about 1/2 price, it was a marketing masterpiece at the time and the other labels followed it.
Oldham on 21:43 - Apr 24 with 6408 viewsmingthemerciless

Oldham on 18:55 - Apr 24 by 49thseason

There were a few sampler records around the end of the 60's early 70's . I bought "You can all join in " , thinking about it I think they were all released by Island and were a way to get some of their lesser known artists alongside some of the better known ones (Tull, Traffic and Fairport). Fairport did "Meet on the Ledge" and Spencer Davis did "Somebody help me ". They were good value at the time. One of the groups featured was Nirvana (the British band not the Americans) sued the Cobain group and were awarded damages for having their name nicked! John Martyn went on to have a decent career too, whatever happened to Winder K Frog?
The first sampler one I bought was "The Rock Machine Turns you on" By CBS records and first released in the US with Zombies, Cohen, Simon and Garfunkel Byrds, Taj Mahal , BS&T and even Bob Dylan! Wiki says it cost 14/11d about 1/2 price, it was a marketing masterpiece at the time and the other labels followed it.

I had both of those LP’s back in the day. I paid about 50p for them at the time. The reason I bought the first one was to get a copy of “ Meet On The Ledge “ although there were other good tracks on it.

I saw an early version of “ Wynder K Frog “ at the “ Cubi-Klub “ in the mid sixties. They played there a few times. Not exactly my style then, they were organ based and a bit jazzy when we were all into the blues and R&B.
Oldham on 08:33 - Apr 26 with 5790 viewsDale_4_Life

The Oldham statement by the board of directors is out!

They want to claim their RIGHTFUL place back in the football league.

Arrogant beyond belief.. to be fair quite correctly slated by the vast majority of supporters who post on OWTB.

I fear for Oldham they could easily be the next bury.
Oldham on 23:08 - Jun 25 with 4600 viewsRAFCBLUE

Oldham on 08:33 - Apr 26 by Dale_4_Life

The Oldham statement by the board of directors is out!

They want to claim their RIGHTFUL place back in the football league.

Arrogant beyond belief.. to be fair quite correctly slated by the vast majority of supporters who post on OWTB.

I fear for Oldham they could easily be the next bury.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61425957

Sad reading; proof that you need some decent custodians to bat for you because if you haven't got that you don't have anything.

Lots of issues hit home:
* Lots of debt loaded into the club
* Ownership of ground separate from the club. Owners saying its available for a "good price"
* Supporters alienated and don't know where to turn now the damage is done.
* Owners who send out former Board directors to talk
* No real end in sight to the problems

I feel very sorry for Oldham fans - thank god that it isn't us.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 23:33]

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Oldham on 07:51 - Jun 26 with 4299 viewsNorthernDale

I also feel sorry for the Oldham fans, because 'there by the grace of god' it could have been us, if the shysters and DB had succeeded last summer. I hope that Oldham come back, because it is a local team and one day it could be us in their awful position. But in truth, for years Oldham have had a series of bad owners, who clearly could not run a drinking session in a brewery and that is where the Dale have been fortunate in having Simon and the present board running the club, rather then the disaster that was DB.
Oldham on 10:23 - Jun 26 with 4051 viewsmikehunt

Oldham on 18:55 - Apr 24 by 49thseason

Getting back to sampler records back then, reminded me of one of my favourites - Son of Gutbucket. Anyone else have that one? Some really great tracks from largely unheard of artists at the time, some of which had their fifteen minutes:
Credence Clearwater Revival,Canned Heat, Groundhogs, Johnny Winter, Spirit (their Fresh Garbage track was recently sampled by erm, someone) etc
That album , along with You Can All Join In and Contemporary Guitar Sampler Vol 2 really shaped my musical tastes during my early teen years.

Ps Yes, sorry for Oldham too. Much as I like a bit of schadenfreude where our rivals are concerned, I looked through this season’s fixture list and not one game leapt out at me, like an Oldham or bury game would have.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Oldham on 10:53 - Jun 26 with 3945 viewsD_Alien

Oldham on 07:51 - Jun 26 by NorthernDale

I also feel sorry for the Oldham fans, because 'there by the grace of god' it could have been us, if the shysters and DB had succeeded last summer. I hope that Oldham come back, because it is a local team and one day it could be us in their awful position. But in truth, for years Oldham have had a series of bad owners, who clearly could not run a drinking session in a brewery and that is where the Dale have been fortunate in having Simon and the present board running the club, rather then the disaster that was DB.

There's absolutely nothing "fortunate" about it ND, except bloody hard graft to bring it about by a group of dedicated fans

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Oldham on 11:18 - Jun 26 with 3885 viewsDale_4_Life

Just how to unravel years of mismanagement is the question.

It could be nearly impossible.

Half the problem is sense of entitlement and delusions of grandeur. Bury suffered for the same reason.

Sadly Oldham are staring down a barrel and it doesn't seem like there is a sensible line of communication open with the current Moroccan owner.
Oldham on 14:23 - Jun 26 with 3594 viewsNorthernDale

Oldham on 10:53 - Jun 26 by D_Alien

There's absolutely nothing "fortunate" about it ND, except bloody hard graft to bring it about by a group of dedicated fans

I totally agree, the hard work by the fans in stopping the shysters in their tracks deserves all the credit and praise in the world, and something we all should be eternally grateful.

At the same time, the board deserves the credit in running the club in a sensible manner, i.e paying off the loan on the ground and working with the fans to reduce the threat from the shysters.
Oldham on 14:46 - Jun 26 with 3544 viewsD_Alien

Oldham on 14:23 - Jun 26 by NorthernDale

I totally agree, the hard work by the fans in stopping the shysters in their tracks deserves all the credit and praise in the world, and something we all should be eternally grateful.

At the same time, the board deserves the credit in running the club in a sensible manner, i.e paying off the loan on the ground and working with the fans to reduce the threat from the shysters.

Absolutely, the board have done a fabulous job over the past 11 months. Each member, from the chairman through to the non-execs, are in place with a remit to follow a model which the fans are "on board" with - literally!

The board has been creative with its execution of its duties, rather than with the truth

[Post edited 26 Jun 2022 14:48]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Oldham on 17:25 - Jun 26 with 3333 viewsdavidab2202

Whether one is a BBC "fan" or not ,there is an article on Oldham's demise and fall from their Premiership days of 30 years ago on BBC football
Oldham on 17:33 - Jun 26 with 3293 viewsTVOS1907

Oldham on 17:25 - Jun 26 by davidab2202

Whether one is a BBC "fan" or not ,there is an article on Oldham's demise and fall from their Premiership days of 30 years ago on BBC football

It's linked a few posts up.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024